gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 03:04:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416575 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »

I'd been thinking of how the BB 85 album sounds a lot better on vinyl...do any other albums sound better than the cd releases on vinyl? I was hoping 15 Big Ones might...I haven't dragged that vinyl out in years.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »

So I've seen the remasters on Amazon but there's no tracklistings available...Is it just the original album and no bonus tracks? I know I should be happy about them being in remastered mode...but it's a shame to have to re-buy everything!

Mono mix + stereo mix (except Sunflower and Surf's Up - stereo mixes only). No bonus tracks.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 04, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »

So I've seen the remasters on Amazon but there's no tracklistings available...Is it just the original album and no bonus tracks? I know I should be happy about them being in remastered mode...but it's a shame to have to re-buy everything!

Mono mix + stereo mix (except Sunflower and Surf's Up - stereo mixes only). No bonus tracks.

But these mixes are gonna blow my mind, right? I hope so!  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 04, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »

But these mixes are gonna blow my mind, right? I hope so!  Wink

Smiley Smile in stereo is indeed a mind blower. The others.....make your own decision in October.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: September 04, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »

I'd been thinking of how the BB 85 album sounds a lot better on vinyl...do any other albums sound better than the cd releases on vinyl? I was hoping 15 Big Ones might...I haven't dragged that vinyl out in years.

I honestly think your statement applies to EVERY album - but then again I am a vinyl nerd... The only place i can't comment is SIP, unfortunately...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: September 04, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »

This is what The Beach Boys look like stoned.  Grin

Al looks clean, but maybe it's impossible for Al NOT to look clean. Dennis at least looks like he's trying to look with it, but he's not succeeding. Bruce, against all odds, looks high as f***.

Otherwise, yeah. *giggles*
Al just looks a little high from inhaling the second hand smoke. Wink

Bruce and Carl look spaced! Brian is the real veteran and is groovin', Mike and Dennis both look like they are forcing this composure for the photo. Al is clean as always!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: September 05, 2012, 04:17:14 AM »

Do I hear Carl on Sound of Free?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »

I honestly think your statement applies to EVERY album - but then again I am a vinyl nerd... The only place i can't comment is SIP, unfortunately...

I've always maintained that just about every LP that was originally mastered and issued on vinyl will ALWAYS sound better on vinyl...no matter how many times they remaster the sound for CD.  You lose something when you go from analog to digital.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: September 05, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

Standard redbook 16-bit CD's, sure.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2809 on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »

This is what The Beach Boys look like stoned.  Grin

Al looks clean, but maybe it's impossible for Al NOT to look clean. Dennis at least looks like he's trying to look with it, but he's not succeeding. Bruce, against all odds, looks high as f***.

Otherwise, yeah. *giggles*
Al just looks a little high from inhaling the second hand smoke. Wink

Bruce and Carl look spaced! Brian is the real veteran and is groovin', Mike and Dennis both look like they are forcing this composure for the photo. Al is clean as always!

Bruce is faking it. Don't ask him about it though... "you're more into pretending-to-be-stoned as good business than I will ever be in a 100
lifetimes."
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: September 07, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »

Is Imagination available on vinyl?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2811 on: September 07, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »

Is Imagination available on vinyl?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Wilson-of-The-Beach-Boys-45-Your-Imagination-w-ts-/260408075983?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3ca187e6cf
Your Imagination was released on 45RPM.

Don't think there was an LP. However, the local university was getting rid of a mastering lathe a while back. could make our
own imagination. Start up a vanity label whose only release is Imagination. Promptly fold.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:36:27 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: September 07, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »

What is that wretched "AWW YEAH, GETTIN' SAD NAOW IN A COUNTRY-ESQUE MANNER" instrument at about 57 seconds in in the right channel of "Summer's Gone"? It appears somewhere else on the album, too.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: September 07, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »

What is that wretched "AWW YEAH, GETTIN' SAD NAOW IN A COUNTRY-ESQUE MANNER" instrument at about 57 seconds in in the right channel of "Summer's Gone"? It appears somewhere else on the album, too.

Steel pedal?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: September 07, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

Steel pedal?

That seems to be right.

P.S. The instrument isn't wretched at all, but its use in this manner is (to me, imo).

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: September 08, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »

The Beach Boys would've made a fortune in the late '60s and early '70s if they had a second set where, after a 20-min "smoke break", the Boys come back and spend an hour or two making trippy a ceppella improvisations! That would've been amazing~
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »

is this the first time in seventeen or eighteen years that Mike doesn't have a beard in this clip?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohZX8bQ6VaM
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2817 on: September 09, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »

When Mike called Van Dyke's Smile lyrics  "obtuse", did he think that he was saying they're obscure? It sure seems like that.
Stupid and obtuse are synonyms. Everything except his choice of words suggested diplomacy. Mike, get out your dictionary.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: September 09, 2012, 02:47:59 AM »

I didn't want to waste a thread asking this (just in case there's a general consensus on this kind of thing), but I'm wondering how you guys generally divide up the band's "eras". Of course we could go by decade, but I'm thinking more music-style/sound-wise. Creative periods, if you will.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:59 AM »

I didn't want to waste a thread asking this (just in case there's a general consensus on this kind of thing), but I'm wondering how you guys generally divide up the band's "eras". Of course we could go by decade, but I'm thinking more music-style/sound-wise. Creative periods, if you will.

Probably thread-worthy. To me, there's often so much change from album to album, I may divide things up into about 25 or 26 "eras" among 30 albums, which doesn't really feel worthwhile to me - may as well just take each album by itself into consideration.

I guess there are things other than "sound" to take into consideration, too (although they feel less important to me), so there'll be considerable differences in how people sort their eras. It's too difficult for me ^_^
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:07:20 AM by . » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: September 09, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »

I wasn't along for the ride of "Don't Fight The Sea", thus...

Does the final version contain any elements of the late 70s version, or is it a more recent recording? If so, about when?
How complete is the 70s version?
When is Carl's vocal from?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: September 09, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »

Does the final version contain any elements of the late 70s version, or is it a more recent recording? If so, about when?

Some bones here:
http://www.examiner.com/article/al-jardine-discusses-a-postcard-from-california

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: September 09, 2012, 04:37:25 AM »

Some bones here:
http://www.examiner.com/article/al-jardine-discusses-a-postcard-from-california

<3 <3 <3

Can't believe the first verse is from 1978! d00d sounds exactly the same nowadays as he did then.

Also, Carl's vocal is from 1998? Any idear if this is his last formally recorded vocal? He sounds great. Fanboy sh*t: I had this dream where I met him and told him I really liked his vocal on "Don't Fight The Sea". No idea why I named that song specifically, but I did. He gave me this very strong "Eh? Where'd you hear that?" look, but thanked me regardless. 'twas weird and is, thankfully, my only Beach Boys related dream to date.

(lol)

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: September 09, 2012, 04:54:11 AM »

1961-64 - Surf/Car/fun years
1965-1966 - Creative peak for Brian
1967-1969 - The lost years
1970-1975 - Recovery years and great live era
1976-1977 - Brian returns
1978-1979 - Huh
1980 onwards - Surrender creative enigma to Myke Luhv
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2824 on: September 09, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

When Mike called Van Dyke's Smile lyrics  "obtuse", did he think that he was saying they're obscure? It sure seems like that.
Stupid and obtuse are synonyms. Everything except his choice of words suggested diplomacy. Mike, get out your dictionary.

Obtuse can also mean obscure if I recall correctly so that was probably what he meant, at least that's how I saw it. I could be wrong, though.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx