gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 12:54:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416558 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: May 04, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »

Now I recall recently, we were discussing Brian's "R&R" album and that he worked on this with Mr. Scotty Bennet...I also recall that Proud Mary and You're Still A Mystery were re-recorded around this time....were there any other titles around that time? And I'm not crossing the rules by asking because I'm not asking to recieve them, but did they ever "make the rounds" like the TLOS demos?

Also, the two tracks I indicated above, were they re-recorded, or did Darian bring out his Paley demos and work from there?  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 04, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »

Is anyone aware that the soundtrack for IJWMFTT is on vinyl? I thought maybe it always had been but on Amazon, it indicates that it's a 2012 exclusive limited edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Wasnt-Made-These-Times/dp/B007HM3178/ref=pd_sim_m_27

Imagine what that Still I dream of it Demo sounds like on vinyl  Shocked

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2327 on: May 04, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »

The Wilson/Paley tracks - has anyone here, ah, heard them in stereo ?  I mean pukka stereo, not DuoPhonic.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 04, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

The Wilson/Paley tracks - has anyone here, ah, heard them in stereo ?  I mean pukka stereo, not DuoPhonic.
Nope, you know a place where I can hear that?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 04, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/m-i-u-album-19781116

So somebody actually took the time and space on a page in Rolling Stone magazine to review MIU? That really surprises me that it was actually printed in an issue, I figured they wouldn't even bother. I like the review though.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2330 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »

Nope, you know a place where I can hear that?

Possibly.  Wink

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 04, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »

I keep hearing(well, reading) about an unreleased recording called Dancin' The Night Away from the aborted beach boys album from the mid 1990's with a Carl Wilson lead. Does it circulate? You all know what the second part to that question is, yes?  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 04, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »

Now I recall recently, we were discussing Brian's "R&R" album and that he worked on this with Mr. Scotty Bennet...I also recall that Proud Mary and You're Still A Mystery were re-recorded around this time....were there any other titles around that time? And I'm not crossing the rules by asking because I'm not asking to recieve them, but did they ever "make the rounds" like the TLOS demos?

Also, the two tracks I indicated above, were they re-recorded, or did Darian bring out his Paley demos and work from there?  Wink

-- I don't believe any more Wilson-Bennett material has surfaced.

-- Other titles include "Angels In Love" which is an unreleased Wilson-VDP tune. They cut some oldies as well.

-- Proud May was newly recorded. I don't believe they redid YSAM (that was recut by Brian and Joe during the Imagination sessions, and again in the GIOMH sessions).

I keep hearing(well, reading) about an unreleased recording called Dancin' The Night Away from the aborted beach boys album from the mid 1990's with a Carl Wilson lead. Does it circulate? You all know what the second part to that question is, yes?  Cool

Carl sings about two lines on it. There is a bit of harmony. Vocals weren't recorded for the rest of the song (98 percent of it, in other words).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 04, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »

Did DTNA turn into the song HCWSBD from the GIOMH album? Figure that one out.  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 04, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »

Did DTNA turn into the song HCWSBD from the GIOMH album? Figure that one out.  Grin

I say yes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 05, 2012, 02:31:36 AM »

I only said that because "dancing the night away" were in How Could We Still Be Dancing. I've never heard Dancin' The Night Away. Are they similar in melody at all?

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2336 on: May 05, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »

Re Sandy. From the Summer Days... sessions.

Was the song never completed, as the sessions i have suggest? How come Brian abandoned it? Seems like it would've made for a lovely track.
I think it was never completed, until the seventies. No idea why it was abandoned. Agreed it would have been an awesome addition to SDSN.

He also revisited In the Back of my Mind...now that would be nice to hear.

I've never understood the Sandy/Sherri she needs me story...It'd never addressed in books or anything else...Same thing with Terri She needs me...only heard rumors.
My book will have the story though there's not that much to tell other than Brian didn't finish it in 1965 and re-recorded it in a slighty altered forum in 1976 abd 1997 or 1998.

I've always thought it was because Brian had promised to make a more "fun in the sun" album after Today, and Sandy was shelved in favour of Amusement Parks USA or something.

Or he decided to keep it back for his next project, but by the time Pet Sounds came along he'd moved way past Sandy.

Such a shame, as this could have been one of their classic hits. The tracking session is incredible, when that lead guitar is overdubbed, it gives such a great example of the stories Chuck used to tell. It sounds wrong, until it's mixed in properly, and you sing the vocal over the top. Fantastic stuff, classic Brian.
Mr. Mike
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 05, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »

An amendment to my earlier question (see Reply #2224)...

Is this the Beach Boys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-6_qESxik
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 05, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »

No.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 07, 2012, 07:01:59 AM »

-- I don't believe any more Wilson-Bennett material has surfaced.

-- Other titles include "Angels In Love" which is an unreleased Wilson-VDP tune. They cut some oldies as well.

-- Proud May was newly recorded. I don't believe they redid YSAM (that was recut by Brian and Joe during the Imagination sessions, and again in the GIOMH sessions).

Carl sings about two lines on it. There is a bit of harmony. Vocals weren't recorded for the rest of the song (98 percent of it, in other words).
When you say "surfaced", do you mean as public knowledge or on some type of recording heard by boot wearing listeners?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »

Who does the voices of the boyfriend and girlfriend on Amusement Parks U.S.A? I know the barker is Hal but not sure of the other two (the girl sounds like maybe a guy doing a ms. Piggy impersonation, I don't know  Grin)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2341 on: May 07, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »

The guy is Brian.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: May 07, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »

How similar is Al's solo version of California Feelin' to Brian's 74 demo?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2343 on: May 07, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »

How similar is Al's solo version of California Feelin' to Brian's 74 demo?

Aside from it being the same song, chalk & cheese.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: May 12, 2012, 03:45:08 AM »

Who plays the guitar solo in 'Dreamer' ?
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: May 12, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »

Three things, please and thank you:

1. When was "Walk On By" recorded? During the recording of what album to be exact.

2. When exactly did Brian record his smog rant.

3. Was "Mount Vernon And Fairway" finished before Holland, or vice versa?

Thank You.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: May 12, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »

What ever happened to FODW ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2347 on: May 12, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »

Three things, please and thank you:

1. When was "Walk On By" recorded? During the recording of what album to be exact.

2. When exactly did Brian record his smog rant.

3. Was "Mount Vernon And Fairway" finished before Holland, or vice versa?

Thank You.

1 - 5/26/68, between Friends and 20/20. Same session as the demo for "Rendezvous".

2 - exactly when is a fine question: definitely post-Smile

3 - Brian wrote the Fairytale in Holland and submitted it to the band for inclusion, so technically, the correct answer is "at the same time"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:42:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: May 12, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »

Does Carl Wilson play the guitar on "Student Demonstration Time"? Did he produce the track with or for  Mike?  Is Brian singing?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:04:02 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: May 12, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

Brian once said that he wrote the song "Cry" after he told Melinda he wanted a divorce, and she started to cry. Does anybody know why he wanted a divorce?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx