gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 03:51:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416582 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1700 on: July 22, 2011, 08:36:46 AM »

Brian specifically said Jan taught him how to cut 'clean' tracks.

As for Curt... love the Millennium stuff, but other than that and the tracks he did with The Association, it's all very lightweight to these ears. "Brand New Old Friends" excepted, of course.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »

Y'all know how Holland for sure and possibly also Sunflower and Surf's Up were engineered and pressed on vinyl for play on a quad setup? Has anyone actually done that? If so, how does it sound? Does it blow the paltry stereo option out of the water?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 22, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »

The '72 CATP i have with my PS says so, too. I don't have the facility to play it on more than two speakers, though.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 22, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »

Part question, part observation

I was watching The Royal Tenenbaums just now and was amazed at what a great soundtrack it had, was shocked to find out the Wes Anderson couldn't secure the right to "sloop john b" to CLOSE THE FILM

Anyone have an idea why? I assume it was a money thing, what a shame

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1704 on: July 23, 2011, 12:36:46 AM »

Y'all know how Holland for sure and possibly also Sunflower and Surf's Up were engineered and pressed on vinyl for play on a quad setup? Has anyone actually done that? If so, how does it sound? Does it blow the paltry stereo option out of the water?

Spring too. Don't think Holland was, though. CATP doesn't sound that great, the DW tracks excepted ('cause they were engineered by Steve Desper), but Surf's Up and Sunflower just open up. That said, it's like listening to CD for the first time after decades of hearing vinyl - takes a bit of getting used to.

Should add that this is something I did back in the early 80's using the original US vinyl pressings - not tried it with CD.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:39:22 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 23, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »

What, exactly, is a "Fig Plucker"?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 23, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »

I'm not the fig plucker, nor the fig pluckers son. But I'll pluck figs 'till the fig plucker comes.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 24, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »

I'm not the fig plucker, nor the fig pluckers son. But I'll pluck figs 'till the fig plucker comes.  Grin

In that case, what's a "plig"? :*P

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 24, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »

??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:11:00 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Paulos
« Reply #1709 on: July 25, 2011, 01:32:35 AM »

Thanks Andrew, that explains why it sounds so good! Strange that it was recorded in 1982 but i've seen it billed as live 1981? I can't find a  good enough picture of the back cover of 25 Years of Good Vibrations to confirm.

Not billed as 1981 on the back of the Sunkist album.

I just realised where I got that 1981 date from, a certain book written by a certain Beach Boys historian.... Grin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 25, 2011, 04:41:43 AM »

??
As in "plig f*cker's son" but it's not important so forget I mentioned it. Roll Eyes

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
egon spengler
« Reply #1711 on: July 25, 2011, 08:06:12 AM »

What on earth is the story behind that bizarre "smog" PSA?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: July 26, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »

Spring too. Don't think Holland was, though. CATP doesn't sound that great, the DW tracks excepted ('cause they were engineered by Steve Desper), but Surf's Up and Sunflower just open up. That said, it's like listening to CD for the first time after decades of hearing vinyl - takes a bit of getting used to.

Should add that this is something I did back in the early 80's using the original US vinyl pressings - not tried it with CD.

A friend of mine has an expensive audio setup and claimed if there was a matrix coded quad mix on there, his setup would decode it. And indeed, there was some stuff that was directed to the back speakers, which (my friend said) doesn't happen with pure stereo mixes. But it wasn't a very interesting listening experience, I must say. Probably not the real thing, then.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 27, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »

I brought the original Brian Wilson album on C.D in a second hand shop today (bargain at £1.99) and I know that Melt Away has a slightly different mix, but regarding the mastering of the album, is it me (or my stereo) or is the album deeper (less treble-y) than the re-issue?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 27, 2011, 09:10:14 AM »

I brought the original Brian Wilson album on C.D in a second hand shop today (bargain at £1.99) and I know that Melt Away has a slightly different mix, but regarding the mastering of the album, is it me (or my stereo) or is the album deeper (less treble-y) than the re-issue?

It's "muddier" or less defined, so that could make it sound less treble-y. For the record, Rhino did correct the mixes on the reissue but, apparently, very few of the revised discs made it into the marketplace.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »

With the 20/20 "Time to Get Alone" being recorded over the Redwood track, is there a chance that "Never Learn Not to Love" was recorded over the never released Brothers-version of the Manson track?

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 27, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »

It's "muddier" or less defined, so that could make it sound less treble-y. For the record, Rhino did correct the mixes on the reissue but, apparently, very few of the revised discs made it into the marketplace.

That sounds right, yeah. Now that I have the original I don't mind having the incorrect mixes personally, it's something different I can listen to (however subtle those differences may be) that I wouldn't have otherwise heard.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 27, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

What on earth is the story behind that bizarre "smog" PSA?

I'm not sure there's much of a story to be had - as far as I know it was just one of Brian's "humor" record experiments, probably just done for kicks, although perhaps a humor record was still in his mind even after Smile?  I'd be curious to hear any other info that may be out there, but I'm not sure there's anything more to tell than that really.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 27, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »

I was at the local head shop/record store today and found The Association album that features Mike Love singing Stagger Lee, and I believe it was still in the wrap...worth buying? I didn't have any cash on me at the time...but I'm sure it'll be there when I go back...any opinions about grabbing it or letting it go?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 29, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »

I was wondering about the All Star Tribute to BW.
Were any of you poster's there?

I wanna know about the performances that weren't televised/on dvd, which are mainly the Pet Sounds album performances. I really wanna hear those artists perform these, dern shame that part wasn't released in any way.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 29, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »

Is there a clean mix of Sound of Free out there? Besides the one on the "Landlocked" package?
I think there's a lot in that backing track we're not hearing. Perhaps just the original 45 would make it more audible? We know how easy it is to find that Dennis Wilson single with Rumbo.  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Paulos
« Reply #1721 on: July 30, 2011, 02:20:43 AM »

I recently heard a song called Happy Birthday America that has Mike on lead but can't find any information on it, can someone help please?
MBE
« Reply #1722 on: July 30, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »

I was at the local head shop/record store today and found The Association album that features Mike Love singing Stagger Lee, and I believe it was still in the wrap...worth buying? I didn't have any cash on me at the time...but I'm sure it'll be there when I go back...any opinions about grabbing it or letting it go?
Get it because it's rare. Musically it's a mediocre oldies remake.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 30, 2011, 08:14:38 AM »

Is the notion that 'Look!'s only purpose was to aid Brian in creating 'Good Vibrations' merely speculation? or is there documented proof in an interview or elsewhere that backs this claim?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »

I was thinkin about how the Pet Sounds liner notes describe who played what instrument for each song, yet not too many other albums give us this kind of information. I think 15 Big Ones has it on the back of the album, I'm sure there's a couple of other albums with the players/instruments.

Anyways, I was wondering if we could get a "Definitive Instrument/Player Thread" going. Even if we can't get who played what on some of the later albums or so, we could at least get what instruments were on each song by listening. Just thought I'd throw that idea out there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:19:21 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx