gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 02:13:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Fragile Beach Boys Reunion" - Rolling Stone Magazine  (Read 61349 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »

That Brian and Al exchange over "Waves Of Love" reminded me of the scene in Goodfellas where Morry keeps bugging Jimmy about his share of the money.

Al: Hey, Brian, everybody got to contribute to the album. I want you to record my song. Everybody else got theirs recorded.

Brian: You're something else, you know that?

Al: Come on, Brian, you know I love you and would do anything for you.

Brian: Yeah, like keep busting my balls.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »

Yeah, Al doesn't seem to get much respect. He got interrupted a couple of times during that Google interview, and I've noticed he has had to share a mike during a couple of interviews too--once with Bruce and once with Dave.

I was going to say that about Mike's weight-- he's not exactly fighting-thin himself. Maybe he believes that because he's a vegetarian, he can eat whatever he wants. Nachos? But I do hope someone is looking after Brian's health, with his history. Apparently no one stops him from stopping at McDonald's!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

I agree Mike is overweight, but I don't think I'd call him out of shape.  He stands up for the whole concert, everynight, and scoots across the country nonstop.  Sings his ass off, etc.

Meanwhile Brian's very lethargic and a little roly poly.  God Bless his brilliant, overweight, buddah-like, can I rub you and get a wish belly though. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »

Excellent reason why Brian was anti-"WOL" - it's just not good enough.

I take issue with that, Andrew. So "Waves of Love" isn't good enough, but "Daybreak Over The Ocean" and "Beaches In Mind" are totally worthy?

Not totally worthy, but certainly better, especially from a technical viewpoint.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »

Doesn't WOL have Carl's voice on it? Maybe that's why Brian doesn't want to fix it up for a BB's album. Or maybe he will change his mind.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »

The main problem is, none of Al's songs are very good.

Has he written a single tune that isn't based on another song or piece of music? It's become obvious that the man, while he has a great voice and decent production aesthetic, just isn't a songwriter. Brian can knock out catchier tunes in his sleep -- and with Beaches in Mind, he probably did.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »

Some great Brian quotes in there, the plane etc.
Mike still comes off as a pompous ass at times, I think he has mellowed and gets things more but it seems like he can't help himself.
I feel bad for Al. You will always have the Brian/Mike rivalry and all that entails but Al is not a part of that. He's still stuck in between. He's gonna back Brian push comes to shove for sure.  Al misses Carl and Dennis to an extent more on this tour than any of the other guys. Obviously Brian does, but in a different way. Al is having fun on stage but the BB were always Brian in 1 direction, Mike the opposite and the others in between and now it's just Al in between and that's gotta be sad.  Dave wasn't there for that dynamic, it's not his fault and I don't know how to read Bruce. He's frighteningly loyal to Mike it seems.

I think it's like

Brian and his merry band of supporters, Jeff, half the band, etc.

Mike, Bruce, and their couple guys

Al kind of by himself, but everybody gets on with him although they don't show him too much respect

Dave, who everybody shows respect but kind of just 'is' there. 

Why would people respect Dave but not Al?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »

It's interesting the way Al uses the press to try to get his way and get his voice heard, repeatedly announcing things before they are done deals. In person with the others, they frequently talk over him... frustration on all sides!

Hey, at least he got California Saga in! Great to hear him advocate Surf's Up and Our Prayer as well.
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »

From Newsweek July 19, 1976:

Brian's return - which he reportedly undertook at the insistence of his wife, Marilyn - has divided the group sharply. Much of the debate centers around the new album, with its hybrid format of borrowed oldies and somewhat flaky originals. Jardine and Love were all for letting Brian take full charge, even though Love makes no secret of resenting him. Love, who jumped rope to get in shape for the tour, recently declared: "I'm not going out on the road like some broken-down rock star."

Apropos of Mike's "out of shape" comments ... funny how things never change in families.
Nicko1234
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »

The main problem is, none of Al's songs are very good.

Has he written a single tune that isn't based on another song or piece of music? It's become obvious that the man, while he has a great voice and decent production aesthetic, just isn't a songwriter. Brian can knock out catchier tunes in his sleep -- and with Beaches in Mind, he probably did.

Al does take inspiration (rip off) other songs too much but he has written far better songs than Beaches in Mind.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

Mike still comes off as a pompous ass at times, I think he has mellowed and gets things more but it seems like he can't help himself.
I feel bad for Al. You will always have the Brian/Mike rivalry and all that entails but Al is not a part of that. He's still stuck in between. He's gonna back Brian push comes to shove for sure.  Al misses Carl and Dennis to an extent more on this tour than any of the other guys. Obviously Brian does, but in a different way. Al is having fun on stage but the BB were always Brian in 1 direction, Mike the opposite and the others in between and now it's just Al in between and that's gotta be sad.  Dave wasn't there for that dynamic, it's not his fault and I don't know how to read Bruce. He's frighteningly loyal to Mike it seems.

I think it's like

Al kind of by himself, but everybody gets on with him although they don't show him too much respect

You'll have to ask them. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »

I think it's like

You'll have to ask them. 

Let me rephrase my question...why is it your presumption that people respect David but not Al?  What specific evidence do you have, or is it just speculation (which is fine, by the way).

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Nicko1234
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »

The song that David was supposedly writing with Mike didn`t make the album either and the same goes for Bruce`s song. I suspect that Al, Bruce and David all get the same amount of respect as each other. All considered to be secondary figures and of much less importance than Brian and Mike.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »

The song that David was supposedly writing with Mike didn`t make the album either and the same goes for Bruce`s song. I suspect that Al, Bruce and David all get the same amount of respect as each other. All considered to be secondary figures and of much less importance than Brian and Mike.

There was no confirmation that Mike and Dave actually collaborated on anything. Mike just said it was a possibility at one point.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2012, 05:11:19 PM »

Just watch the show, and see who gets respect and who doesn't.  That's all I'm saying.  Dave gets respect, Al gets the "oh, gee, you again?" treatment in interviews, on stage, Brian kicking him off his tour, Mike suing him and generally relegating him to permanent back bencher status, Brian leaving the room when Al wants to record, reporters writing about how Al can't flush a toilet, people posting videos up of Al forgetting words, Brian staring Al down when he messed up, etc. 

Dave gets none of that. 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I was just making the observation that it appears, everybody views Al as a bit of an inferior member they can push around, whereas they never show Dave any of that.  Nothing but respect for his guitar work, etc. 
Nicko1234
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

Just watch the show, and see who gets respect and who doesn't.  That's all I'm saying.  Dave gets respect, Al gets the "oh, gee, you again?" treatment in interviews, on stage, Brian kicking him off his tour, Mike suing him and generally relegating him to permanent back bencher status, Brian leaving the room when Al wants to record, reporters writing about how Al can't flush a toilet, people posting videos up of Al forgetting words, Brian staring Al down when he messed up, etc. 

Dave gets none of that. 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I was just making the observation that it appears, everybody views Al as a bit of an inferior member they can push around, whereas they never show Dave any of that.  Nothing but respect for his guitar work, etc. 

Didn`t Carrie Marks comment that Mike pissed David off and then joked about it onstage a few years ago which caused a rift for a while?

And David`s vocals have been largely absent from record and concert.

David has been knocked in magazine/newspaper articles as well..."back after only an absence of 49 years..."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »

I seem to recall that Dave had hepatitis, right? It was diagnosed around the time he had rejoined the band, and he had to take some time out for treatment.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »

It would be great to read the '76 RS article "The Healing of Brother Bri" followed by this new article. Fascinating counterpoint.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Nicko1234
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »

I seem to recall that Dave had hepatitis, right? It was diagnosed around the time he had rejoined the band, and he had to take some time out for treatment.

Not sure what relevance that has...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

Not sure what relevance that has...

I thought you were suggesting that Mike's joking onstage and causing a rift is what drove David from the band in the late '90s.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »

Well written article. Kind of in the same vein as the Newsweek one, not wearing rose colored glasses for this. Has anyone noticed how the touring band seems to be in a sort of negative light after reading those articles?

I think it depends which show they get a quote after.  The one in the article which generated that quote got slammed on this board -- the band member's reaction seemed mild next to that!  But the next show at the Beacon got raves, Brian was really on, the new numbers started debuting...  but nobody asked the band what they thought about it then.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »

What's remarkable about this article -- and to a lesser extent, the articles in the VCStar and Newsweek -- is how much they underscore the impression of Brian that emerged from the Peter Carlin book a few years ago. The Brian of that book, more than any other, is an intelligent, talented, funny (and lazy) guy, with a bit of an ego. That Brian doesn't hesitate to manipulate people (generally kindly) to get his way, and is far more aware of his surroundings, strengths and weaknesses, than people give him credit for.

What's more, in the years since Carlin's book, the creative surge of TLOS and the Disney projects has clearly given Brian a jolt of confidence. He really comes across as the boss in that article, and while he's no doubt "different," he can also use that to get his way. He's super open, and that makes it hard for people to refuse him when he asks for things. Mike, for all of his bravado, clearly now respects that Brian has a career and power base of his own, something he never had while in the band. Mike essentially has no leverage over his cousin anymore -- in fact, Brian has all the power in the reunion, and has not been hesitant to use it.

The notion that at this stage in the game Brian would -- more or less -- be running things, is amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »

Yeah, I agree Wirestone. 

Something I've always been appreciative of, and always thought held true... was that all of the beach boys, and especially Mike, absolutely WORSHIP Brian more than even we fans do.  All of them.  Period.  I mean, gushing, profound, over the top, "Oh my god he's just like Jesus Christ" type admiration. 

Even when he was pretty damn gone, they'd drop everything they were doing and come running at his beckon call to record... "Ding Dang" or whatever. 

The impression ultimately that I've gotten, from all kinds of articles like this, from books, from anctedotes, everything... is that all of the Beach Boys, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al, Dave, and Bruce... love nothing more in life than sitting in a room and having Brian Wilson tell them what to sing. 
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

Great article. Thanks for posting.
My favorite was the words Brian said to Carl. Wow.

Weird how Mike told Brian not to worry about having another beer and then later expressed concern about Brian's weight and lack of exercise.

Especially classy to express such concern to a guy writing a Rolling Stone article... while also working in the death of Murry and intestinal details. I can almost picture Melinda reading that out loud and fuming as Brian stares into space. Altho in Love's defense, I bet we've all worried about his recent health too!

Clearly the whole back problem bizness f*cked his exercise regime and it's back to steak and cake.

he did flee the stage pretty nimbly in Irvine and wasn't assisted, tho.

I was at both the H. Bowl and Irvine, as well as Opening day at Dodger Stadium.  Brian is moving MUCH better now, there is really no comparison at all.
That's right...he's made a big improvement since the start of the tour.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »

It's probably Exercise just touring!  If they keep his ass out their long enough he'll probably start running track and singing Falsetto again!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx