gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681037 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 02:50:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Feelin' (versions)  (Read 15252 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »

It is.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jackstar74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »

Would really love to hear Brian's demo. My fave is actually Brian's re=recording. The Pamplin version is amateurish, and Carl's just comes off depressing....awful
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »

Eat a grapefruit....from a grapefruit tree.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »

I live the Carl and Bruce vocal, but I like the Rocky Pamplin instrumental track better. It's to bad that the sound quality of the Rocky Pamplin version isn't that great, because of ot sounded clearer you could probably synch the two together.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

Would really love to hear Brian's demo. My fave is actually Brian's re=recording. The Pamplin version is amateurish, and Carl's just comes off depressing....awful

I was one of the lucky few who got to hear this demo, back in the early 'aughts, at an East Coast Beach Boys convention. Oh, I would so love to hear it again. From my notes at the time:

California Feelin’ demo. 1974. Just Brian and a piano. Wow. The first time I heard it I was a bit disappointed because the approach was so unexpected. Then when I had the chance to hear it a second time its beauty hit home. Brian plays a GOSPEL piano on this cut. Gone is the straight reading and measured ease of the remake. Gone is the soft, sauntering laze. Instead it’s a dangerous and desperate stab at reclaiming the landscape as a haven for the soul. Brian believes what he’s singing but it’s crumbling around him. The more the scary truth threatens to overtake him – the truth that it’s all a veneer – the more his voice breaks in an earnest, exuberant plea. There are some gulped phrasings bordering on embarrassment; some rushed lyrics and some frankly goofy interpretations on the theme. He wants this to be a postcard sung in Las Vegas. He wants it to be a classic. It’s not, just like California is not. At least not in a God Only Knows sense. Now THAT’S a classic. But that’s also an ideal, and wouldn’t it be nice if it were true. When you’re 24 and on top of the music business the love of the ideal can just about take you away. When you’ve lost your father and you’ve returned from exile, your mind shattered, your drugs medicating less and less, the ideal taunts you no matter how hard you try to still believe. This is a very moving cut, if nothing else. I really hope everyone gets to hear it someday. When you do, you will be surprised. Expect a gospel piano (not the usual chordal banging), an affected, bewildered crooning, and a wandering, lost-at-sea tempo, and you might just get the spirit of it all.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:33:01 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Two things real quick...

1) I would kill to hear that song and Lucy Jones. 1974 Brian is kind of an obsession for me
2) Love your writing style...Highly intelligent without being pretentious.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:48 PM »

I was one of the lucky few who got to hear this demo, back in the early 'aughts, at an East Coast Beach Boys convention. Oh, I would so love to hear it again. From my notes at the time:

California Feelin’ demo. 1974. Just Brian and a piano. Wow. The first time I heard it I was a bit disappointed because the approach was so unexpected. Then when I had the chance to hear it a second time its beauty hit home. Brian plays a GOSPEL piano on this cut. Gone is the straight reading and measured ease of the remake. Gone is the soft, sauntering laze. Instead it’s a dangerous and desperate stab at reclaiming the landscape as a haven for the soul. Brian believes what he’s singing but it’s crumbling around him. The more the scary truth threatens to overtake him – the truth that it’s all a veneer – the more his voice breaks in an earnest, exuberant plea. There are some gulped phrasings bordering on embarrassment; some rushed lyrics and some frankly goofy interpretations on the theme. He wants this to be a postcard sung in Las Vegas. He wants it to be a classic. It’s not, just like California is not. At least not in a God Only Knows sense. Now THAT’S a classic. But that’s also an ideal, and wouldn’t it be nice if it were true. When you’re 24 and on top of the music business the love of the ideal can just about take you away. When you’ve lost your father and you’ve returned from exile, your mind shattered, your drugs medicating less and less, the ideal taunts you no matter how hard you try to still believe. This is a very moving cut, if nothing else. I really hope everyone gets to hear it someday. When you do, you will be surprised. Expect a gospel piano (not the usual chordal banging), an affected, bewildered crooning, and a wandering, lost-at-sea tempo, and you might just get the spirit of it all.

Yes, your posts so far have been outstanding. You made the Smile discoveries scenarios come to life, and now make me salivate even more than before to hear this rare track, right up there with WIBNTLA (I'm with you on Lucy Jones too, Billy).

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »

Have to throw Al Jardine's version from 'Postcard' into the mix.  Especially if we are throwing in AS and the Honey's.

Anybody know who's on Al's version?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »

You are very good at what you do..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »

Al, perhaps

LOL

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »

Al, perhaps

LOL

Ha, perhaps!
++++++++++++
How does it rate against previous versions?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:58 AM »

Al has had so many guest stars on his album that I'm sure even he probably gets mixed up.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 04:19:29 AM »

Al, perhaps

LOL

Ha, perhaps!
++++++++++++
How does it rate against previous versions?

Have to say, parts of it remind me somewhat of Brian's 1974 version: I'd rate it as #2.

1 - BW 1974
2 - AJ 2010
3 - AS 1977
4 - BW 2002
5 - BB 1978

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 05:05:13 AM »

before the fire i had a rocky/american spring version from session tapes. brian was on the talkback telling rocky how to sing. multiple starts/takes until rocky sings the whole song. lost mine but i know for a fact that version is out there seeing i made copies in the early '80's for other collectors i traded with back then.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 05:05:29 AM »

There's a new version of California Feelin' by the Honeys available on the upcoming Stephen Kalinich CD, California Feeling.  The CD is available for pre-order or you can download an MP3 of the title track now at this link:

http://www.foothillrecords.com/detail-pages/mmr-california-feeling.html
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 07:32:17 AM »

Nicely done but I resent you.  Sad

Razz
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

There's a new version of California Feelin' by the Honeys available on the upcoming Stephen Kalinich CD, California Feeling.

Just curious -- is it the same melody or a new one?

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »

For anyone else who has heard the 1974 demo, how does Catbirdman's description compare to your own opinions?

p.s. I am SO SO envious.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »

For anyone else who has heard the 1974 demo, how does Catbirdman's description compare to your own opinions?

p.s. I am SO SO envious.

Can't say I agree with the deeper extrapolations, but as regards the overall sound and ambience, spot on.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »

Can't say I agree with the deeper extrapolations, but as regards the overall sound and ambience, spot on.

Fair enough - the deeper extrapolations are just that. One man's making sense of the music in the midst of the milieu. Grain of salt, and all that.

I'm glad to see some of you enjoyed what I wrote; thanks for the kind words. And please don't be too envious; I share the common yearning to hear this track today and dearly wish it was sitting comfortably in my iTunes library. Maybe soon, now that the 50-year anniversary is upon us...

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »

I hope to God so. I just have a bad feeling no more unbooted stuff is going to surface (legally or otherwise) in any of the BB's lifetimes, and maybe not after depending on the quality.

This is going to be crazy, but this is the depth of my Brian Wilson fandom....If a song has Brian singing on it, I want to hear it, regardles of year. Or quality, for that matter.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »

p.s. I am SO SO envious.

It is really quite irreverent--I recall chuckling at it.  Kind of hammy singing, at times melodramatic and overwrought singing, I'm not quite sure if this is really how Brian envisioned the final delivery, or if he was just doing it as a throw-off...definitely great piano playing unlike what you think of when you think of Brian's playing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »

How was his voice though?

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »

How was his voice though?

Good.  Oddly Carl-like at times, I seem to recall, when singing in the lower register, but with good facilty and clarity in the upper register as well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »

Awesome...

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx