gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 09:29:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any ideas on when a SMiLE box set will come out?  (Read 17862 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »

Brian could care less about BWPS.

Nobody has responded to this. Interesting....

Maybe they finally understand us, Sheriff. Smiley
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »

Brian could care less about BWPS.

Nobody has responded to this. Interesting....
Does he even play this stuff in concert -- outside of Good Vibes?  Maybe HV...??

Maybe the right time to have released a Smile box was 2004, on the heals of BWPS.  A reason or some "event" to celebrate "it's history."  Any other reason than... "hey man...when are you going to release the Smile tapes?"

A positive reason, I should add.

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »

If they had released the Smile sessions box already, it might have negatively impacted their ability to market the Pet Sounds Box Set!  Grin

After the rush of the 50th Anniversarry in a few years, they can cool off for another 5 years, and then sell us the Smile Box set as a 50 Year Celebration kind of package.

It's all about pacing, man.  Grin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »

I AM THE SUMMER IN PARADISE MONSTER GRRRR...

Shut the boards down right now. There will never be another post that can top this one.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »

Brian could care less about BWPS. It's in his past, done with. Next please.

That's how Brian is....he probably cared a great deal about it at the time, but its in the past....so is TLOS...so is Pet Sounds on tour....next, please...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 01:23:53 AM »

The proposed sequence was as follows:

1996 - Pet Sounds Sessions
1996 - Good Vibrations Sessions (single disc)
1997 - Smile Sessions (3 discs)*

* as follows:

1 - Heroes & Villains sessions
2 - 'best of the rest'
3 - attempt at a coherent album using only the original recordings

Can you elaborate a bit on the "best of the rest" disc? Other Smile sections etc. that weren't part of "Heroes and Villains" and wouldn't fit anywhere on disc 3, I'd guess?

If this ever comes to fruition, I think it'd be the perfect opportunity to remix Smiley Smile in stereo as part of the set. Don't see it as likely, but hay.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »

The proposed sequence was as follows:

1996 - Pet Sounds Sessions
1996 - Good Vibrations Sessions (single disc)
1997 - Smile Sessions (3 discs)*

* as follows:

1 - Heroes & Villains sessions
2 - 'best of the rest'
3 - attempt at a coherent album using only the original recordings

Can you elaborate a bit on the "best of the rest" disc? Other Smile sections etc. that weren't part of "Heroes and Villains" and wouldn't fit anywhere on disc 3, I'd guess?

If this ever comes to fruition, I think it'd be the perfect opportunity to remix Smiley Smile in stereo as part of the set. Don't see it as likely, but hay.

"Best of the rest" = all the other known titles that aren't "GV" or "H&V".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:21 AM »

Brian could care less about BWPS. It's in his past, done with. Next please.

That's how Brian is....he probably cared a great deal about it at the time, but its in the past....so is TLOS...so is Pet Sounds on tour....next, please...
As much as I would love an official Smile box -- with non-bootleg SQ, and a nice booklet, etc -- I like that Brian is focused on "the next thing."  I really dug TLOS.  And the live TLOS dvd.  And the PS Live CD, etc.  So I'm all for "next!"  Bring on the Shark Monster album!!! 

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »

What is the big deal the Smile box set? There can't be anything possibly left to hear and nothing else to read on the subject. I mean, I listen to my Pet Sounds Box Set once in awhile but it's not something you can have on on continuous play in the car.

You can buy or find links to (ahem) download the boots - Unsurpassed Masters Box, the Source Tape, Heroes & Villains Sessions CDs Vol 1 & 2, Secret Smile, Purple Chick's "Smile" (which is the closest you'll get to a BBs Smile) and the GV Pocket Symphony boot and for the bookworms there's tonnes of books. You've got your own Smile box / collection there!

Gimme a reformation tour anyday before a Smile boxset...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

What is the big deal the Smile box set? There can't be anything possibly left to hear and nothing else to read on the subject. I mean, I listen to my Pet Sounds Box Set once in awhile but it's not something you can have on on continuous play in the car.

You can buy or find links to (ahem) download the boots - Unsurpassed Masters Box, the Source Tape, Heroes & Villains Sessions CDs Vol 1 & 2, Secret Smile, Purple Chick's "Smile" (which is the closest you'll get to a BBs Smile) and the GV Pocket Symphony boot and for the bookworms there's tonnes of books. You've got your own Smile box / collection there!

Some good points, Zander.

I think it's safe to say that a SMiLE boxed set would benefit the casual fan more than us nuts. However, there are a few positives to be had from a SMiLE box:

1. Most importantly, the SMiLE sessions could reach the masses instead of just diehards like us. Don't we want as many people as possible to hear it?

2. It could turn a lot of the stuff from being obtained illegally to obtained legally.

3. It could use some good remastering and/or remixing.

4. It would be nice to have extensive notes, especially dates, musicians, tracks, etc. - all in one place.

5. You know there's bound to be some new track(s) included in a boxed-set that nobody has heard.

6. I think it would be neat to have all of Frank Holmes' work (if they can work it out), especially the album cover, and, most of all, I'd like to see what some SMiLE expert could come up with as a "single disc, kinda finished, might've been released this way, sequenced" CD. I've been obsessed with that for a few years now! Anybody wanna hear my SMiLE mix? Evil
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »

Some good points, Zander.

I think it's safe to say that a SMiLE boxed set would benefit the casual fan more than us nuts. However, there are a few positives to be had from a SMiLE box:

1. Most importantly, the SMiLE sessions could reach the masses instead of just diehards like us. Don't we want as many people as possible to hear it?

2. It could turn a lot of the stuff from being obtained illegally to obtained legally.

3. It could use some good remastering and/or remixing.

4. It would be nice to have extensive notes, especially dates, musicians, tracks, etc. - all in one place.

5. You know there's bound to be some new track(s) included in a boxed-set that nobody has heard.

6. I think it would be neat to have all of Frank Holmes' work (if they can work it out), especially the album cover, and, most of all, I'd like to see what some SMiLE expert could come up with as a "single disc, kinda finished, might've been released this way, sequenced" CD. I've been obsessed with that for a few years now! Anybody wanna hear my SMiLE mix? Evil

Fair point Sheriff, I class myself as an obsessive on Smile but even I am runnig out of avenues to explore now. I wish i could revisit the days when it was all new to me. I pretty much always agree with most of your opinions on various topics. But...

1. I thought BWPS would've done that job? I mean, how many casual fans will want to sit through the countless sessions of the original recordings?

2. Nah, people are still gonna download the stuff. I mean I own the Pet Sounds box but I still downloaded the SOT boxes.

3. The SOT Smile Sessions is near perfect enough I'd say, it's not going to be lightyears ahead if an official box is released.

4. Being a pain in the arse here but - Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile! or the Definitive Diary are substanial enough to cover the subject apart from the odd mistake or omission. (An official book is NEVER going to be definitive either)

5. Would it really be worth forking out for the boxset for one new track? I mean I'd buy  Roll Eyes  (no doubt) but it wouldn't be an essential purchase where as reformation tickets would.

6. I purchased the replica of the Smile booklet artwork, excellent. Just need the bootleg vinyl copy to slot it into. Would you be up for producing the boxset Smile mix? Heh heh  Grin

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »

1. I thought BWPS would've done that job?

You talking to ME?  police
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

What is the big deal the Smile box set? There can't be anything possibly left to hear and nothing else to read on the subject.

Quite a bit left to hear, as well as... you know... better quality and the fact that they have access to the master tapes for some of this stuff. And I'm sure there are things we don't know - yes, we know quite a bit, but like Sheriff said...

You can buy or find links to (ahem) download the boots - Unsurpassed Masters Box, the Source Tape, Heroes & Villains Sessions CDs Vol 1 & 2, Secret Smile, Purple Chick's "Smile" (which is the closest you'll get to a BBs Smile) and the GV Pocket Symphony boot

Again, in inferior quality to anything we'd get on an official release, and incomplete.

Also, Purple Chick's loses points for constantly sounding way too "patched together". A few nice things on it, but I don't recommend it.

And buying bootlegs is lame.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »

Anything on an officially-released Smile boxset would be in great quality. Most of the boots sound like crap.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »

The thing that would be most revelatory about a putative Smile box would be any unheard pieces from various private collections that might finally be allowed by their possessors to be heard, in that context only. I for one am firmly convinced that there is more Smile music in existence than has been heard so far, and hopefully the stars would align and its owners consent to its inclusion if the project should happen someday. THAT is the main cause for anticipation,
along with the closure of the sure-to-be lavish production values and official collection of everything in one place, with or without added discoveries. Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2009, 05:23:31 AM »

And buying bootlegs is lame.

Without bootlegs Smile wouldn't have gained as much notoriety amongst the hardcore fans. If you've heard the SOT boxes you would know that not all bootlegs "sound like crap". They are hardly inferior quality. If the option was to not hear the music at all or listen to a boot, which one would it be?

We might hear a new track, but then again we might not. Do Durrie Parks "mythical" acetates exist? Does David Anderle have anything? How about Michael Vosse? These are avenues that need to be pursued by Captiol if they haven't done so already.

The boxset will happen one day but I'd say Capitol missed their ideal opportunity when BWPS  came out (whether there was a legal issue stopping anything like that happening I do not know). Or maybe the executives wanted to see the response and tracklisting first? Whatever the reason, it's gotta happen.

All I'm saying is yes, an official release would be nice but there is enough material around for the time being to whet the appetites of those who want to dig deeper into Smile. My preference is that I'd rather see a reformation or a new album (whether it be new material or another EH / Harthorne rarities disc) first. I'd rather hear the Sail On, Sailor demo with VDP and Brian before the Smile boxset!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2009, 06:02:16 AM »

I'd like to add emphasis to LAVISH box set.  Yes...I want it to be very rich.  A nice high quality box.  Maybe 12 x 12.  Coffee-table sized box and book.  Whatever they can do.  Charge $125 or $225 whatever.  U.S. Singles Box-price...except something people actually want...and with real quality.  This big lavish price tag would make up for those who say "the box would just be for the NUTs."  Fine...we'll pay.

And include several different "mixes."  Every acetate you can muster.  Include the kitchen sink.  SMiLE was about including everything AND the kitchen sink -- so do it dammit!  But do make it lavish.  Cloth, velvet, wood -- use nice materials.  No digipacks.

Seriously.  Why don't box sets truly use nice materials?  I'd pay 50 bux for the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds...if they put it in a nice wooden box.  I'd pay 50 bux for the 50th anniversary of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, if they put it in a nice cloth-bound book, like they did for the 40th -- but skimped on the inside unfortunately.  Family heirloom-quality.  Make it worth while.  Am I the only one?  ...I think record companies are missing something on the lavish packaging angle.  I mean LAVISH.  Something that would truly warrant the prices they charge - or would like to charge...and NEED to charge.

They're still churning out TEEN-fab-quality crap.  Yeah...okay...that's fine for the bulk of the crap...but us older folks who you can only sell and resell the classics to.......... DO IT LAVISH.  That's all you got left.  Throwing one "bonus track" a release at us is stale and lame.

Sorry for the rant.  No I'm not.   Pirate

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »

How much did the singles box actually sell?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2009, 10:13:37 AM »

My local record store had one on the day it was released. It's still there. No wonder, with a €95 (= $141) price tag. Was it a "limited edition" box? I remember reading that they were only making 10,000 of them, but is it true?

EDIT: in the US, I think you could have one for about $120. I was lucky to preorder a box on Amazon.fr, who was mistakenly selling them for about $70. The price went up to $120 two hours after I ordered it. Heh. Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:19:20 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »

My local record store had one on the day it was released. It's still there. No wonder, with a €95 (= $141) price tag.

Limited edition of 10,000, or so I read at the time of release.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »

got it for €65,-... should've waited though as it's now being offered here for €35,-...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Paulos
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »

The release of a SMiLE boxset is apparently one of the harbingers of the apocolypse so be careful what you wish for.....

As for the singles box set I've been toying with the idea of buying it but they really should have given people more incentive to buy it, I mean are some stereo mixes and a live version of 409 really worth it?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »

I mean are some stereo mixes and a live version of 409 really worth it?

Honestly, no. But it's the prettiest dust-gatherer on my shelf.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »

The best thing about the singles box set, for me anyway, was to get to hear the mono versions of a few things that I hadn't heard before. Things like "Surfin' USA", which IMO sounded a lot more powerful in the mono mix.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

The best thing about the singles box set, for me anyway, was to get to hear the mono versions of a few things that I hadn't heard before. Things like "Surfin' USA", which IMO sounded a lot more powerful in the mono mix.

All the 1961-1967 singles are in mono on the 1993 box set. And it's a lot cheaper ! Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx