gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680960 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191489 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »

i wonder if this'll be the last beach boys "album".  even though it's archival. it's like, music for one album. 
Jason
« Reply #676 on: February 21, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »

Those who doubt the presence of the 11/29/66 "workshop" sounds on BWPS during "Workshop" need to have their hearing checked. Period.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #677 on: February 21, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »

Those who doubt the presence of the 11/29/66 "workshop" sounds on BWPS during "Workshop" need to have their hearing checked. Period.

IMO they definitely used the original 1966 effects track but also added some sound effects in '04 to expand the stereo image.  Evidence: the original '66 sound effects OD is mono and the BWPS sound effects are in stereo.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »

The drill sounds different,  the hammering is at a different pitch and has a slightly different rhythm, and the circular saw also is at a different pitch. Plus, there's a different *type* of saw used. Other than that, it's exactly the same.

Ears are fine, also. :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:39:32 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 21, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

When BWPS first came out I synched up the two sfx tracks from 04 and 66. After pitch matching I got the phasing effects on the 66 sounds while the newer stuff remained unaffected. I then asked the guys backstage at the Bonn concrt and they confirmed the use of vintage sounds.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 21, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »

I didn't mean released unmixed.  Roll Eyes

Correct me if I'm wrong but the recording of the sound effects for "Woodshop" were deducted from the Brother Records Inc.'s account by Capitol. So did BRI give Brian permission to use those sound effects? Something doesn't seem right, maybe Mark will chime in.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: February 21, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »

I then asked the guys backstage at the Bonn concrt and they confirmed the use of vintage sounds.

Hmm....I was told differently LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: February 21, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

IMO they definitely used the original 1966 effects track but also added some sound effects in '04 to expand the stereo image.  Evidence: the original '66 sound effects OD is mono and the BWPS sound effects are in stereo.

The sound effects are indeed in stereo on the "20/20" LP. 
Jason
« Reply #683 on: February 21, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

Right when you first hear the drills on Workshop, it's very obvious. It just can't be refuted, not from anyone who claims to possess a pair of ears and an even rudimentary knowledge of Smile recordings, or, dare I say, even Do It Again. People who think otherwise are kidding themselves and/or buy into the "Brian FULLY CONTROLS his career" bullshit.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

Right when you first hear the drills on Workshop, it's very obvious. It just can't be refuted, not from anyone who claims to possess a pair of ears and an even rudimentary knowledge of Smile recordings, or, dare I say, even Do It Again. People who think otherwise are kidding themselves and/or buy into the "Brian FULLY CONTROLS his career" bullmerda.

People actually believe that? Jeesh.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jason
« Reply #685 on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »

Right when you first hear the drills on Workshop, it's very obvious. It just can't be refuted, not from anyone who claims to possess a pair of ears and an even rudimentary knowledge of Smile recordings, or, dare I say, even Do It Again. People who think otherwise are kidding themselves and/or buy into the "Brian FULLY CONTROLS his career" bullmerda.

http://brianwilson.com/community/index.html

Be amazed. Be disgusted. Be amused.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 21, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »

LOL Oh God, Every time I visit that nightmare of a message board I nearly have a mental breakdown trying to navigate to a post - then I read some of the posts....  Thud

Speaking of which....I take it donations are still needed for this board? I'd hate to see this one go under - we'd all have to migrate to Brian's board.  Thud

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 21, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »

I've always been interested in Smiley Smile's tracklist.

Heroes and Villains
Vegetables
Fall Breaks [Fire]
She's Going Bald [He Gives Speeches]
Little Pad [Do You Like Worms]
Good Vibrations
With Me Tonight
Wind Chimes
Getting Hungry
Wonderful
Whistle In [Do You Like Worms]

Brian was the one who sequenced that right? It's always seemed really weird to me that he picked the songs that he did to rework for Smiley, and I've always thought the tracklist might give some good clues as to a Smile running order. Why was Gettin' Hungry (Which Brian Calls "The Organ Recital" on UM) the only new song recorded?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:09:53 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jason
« Reply #688 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

Well....I'm hesitant to say Gettin' Hungry was the "only new song" recorded during Smiley Smile, as Little Pad definitely is all new. Fall Breaks And Back To Winter and Whistle In are basically new songs based on a riff or vocal melody, which was a product of Brian's creativity as early as 1963 (Land Ahoy = Cherry Cherry Coupe, County Fair = I Do).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:31:00 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »

Check out some of the "Plan to lure AGD back..." posts.  LOL

LOL Oh God, Every time I visit that nightmare of a message board I nearly have a mental breakdown trying to navigate to a post - then I read some of the posts....  Thud

Speaking of which....I take it donations are still needed for this board? I'd hate to see this one go under - we'd all have to migrate to Brian's board.  Thud

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:25 AM »

The drill sounds different,  the hammering is at a different pitch and has a slightly different rhythm, and the circular saw also is at a different pitch. Plus, there's a different *type* of saw used. Other than that, it's exactly the same.

Ears are fine, also. :D

Is it a Black & Decker? Or a Makita? I am wrecking my brain over this for years on end. It is of the essence for whether the SMiLE-box will get an A+ or an E-, in my view.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: February 22, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »

I then asked the guys backstage at the Bonn concrt and they confirmed the use of vintage sounds.

Me too... by just about everyone involved.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:30 AM »

as Little Pad definitely is all new.

How can you be so sure that the melody is 100% brand new?? IMO it fits too prfectly into a song that was recorded only a couple months before-hand...I mean it seems Brian would not record a track if the melody was not already developed in his head...which in this case happened to surface in Little Pad...only to resurface for In Blue Hawaii many, many moments later...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:04:09 AM by noname » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:45 AM »

as Little Pad definitely is all new.

How can you be so sure that the melody is 100% brand new?? IMO it fits too prfectly into a song that was recorded only a couple months before-hand...I mean it seems Brian would not record a track if the melody was not already developed in his head...which in this case happened to surface in Little Pad...only to resurface for In Blue Hawaii many, many moments later...

"Little Pad" evolved from the unreleased "Hawaiian Song" of the immediate post-Smile: I'd wager it's got traces of the earlier project in it.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 22, 2011, 05:03:37 AM »

Agd, have you heard this Hawaiian Song ?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: February 22, 2011, 05:23:25 AM »

Agd, have you heard this Hawaiian Song ?

My source is impeccable.  Smiley

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 22, 2011, 05:27:56 AM »

Were these the same folks that said that the backing track to "Saturday Morning In The City" was entirely re-recorded for GIOMH?  LOL

Anyway, I didn't mean to stir up controversy. I read the Foskett quote about using parts of the old workshop session, heard the album and believed that, yes, the vintage recording had been used. It's not illogical to think that the old sound effects would be utilized, but perhaps the parties involved recognized they might have crossed the line legally, so the "official" response is now "it was all newly recorded".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: February 22, 2011, 05:49:34 AM »

Were these the same folks that said that the backing track to "Saturday Morning In The City" was entirely re-recorded for GIOMH?  LOL

No-one ever told me that, I suspect 'cause they knew I wouldn't swallow it. Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 22, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »

My god... 28 pages about an archival release that is still very dubious... are we bonkers?  Shocked

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: February 22, 2011, 07:04:26 AM »

My god... 28 pages about an archival release that is still very dubious... are we bonkers?  Shocked

Dubious ? Who's dubious ? I'm not dubious.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx