gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681296 Posts in 27631 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 02, 2024, 01:46:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1748286 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »

WHOSE WITH ME- LETS NOT LISTEN TO ANY SMILE MUSIC UNTIL THIS BOX SET COMES OUT...IS IT POSSIBLE??

You funny man.  Grin

When Al first mentioned it I seriously tried to go on a SMiLE fast until this thing was released. I went a few days and then suddenly I found myself listening to the BWPS spiritual suite on accident. Then I told myself that Smiley Smile isn't really SMiLE so why not listen to it? After that I felt the urge to listen to my copy of Secret Smile....then I felt obligated to have my friend listen to AlternateBrianWilsonPresents SMiLE. And well, it went downhill from there.

I'd say a month before this thing is released I will go on a SMiLE fast again.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »

I can't tell you how excited I am about this. I just made a little box with the SMiLE logo on it for the express purpose of acting as a kitty to put my money in, a wee bit every month, until it is released.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:32:51 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »

Well, let's see....if I shut off my phone and my TV cable service, don't use any of my heaters, start walking to work (ah, hell might as well sell my car)......yeah, I might be able to save enough money by late summer!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »

I have some BB friends who have exceedingly reprehensible habits and lifestyles, but unless it impacts on our BB interactions, that's their business.

I'll never forget that BB friend of mine that used to collect vintage Smile session tapes so that he could burn them and snort the ashes. He thought it was cool after he read that Keith Richards snorted his dad's ashes. I eventually stopped talking to him after he snorted the tapes for the "Air" section.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »

I have some BB friends who have exceedingly reprehensible habits and lifestyles, but unless it impacts on our BB interactions, that's their business.

I'll never forget that BB friend of mine that used to collect vintage Smile session tapes so that he could burn them and snort the ashes. He thought it was cool after he read that Keith Richards snorted his dad's ashes. I eventually stopped talking to him after he snorted the tapes for the "Air" section.

The cad. The bounder. I shall demand satisfaction.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »

Seriously though Phil, perhaps something commemorative on BigO might be appropriate at this time?    Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:32:34 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »

I was damn near ready to punch my computer screen in half before I realized you were lying.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »

Two thoughts on this.  First, if Mark and Alan are in charge, I am sure the final product will be assembled with taste and discretion.  Hats off to them.

Now then: I am getting  a little peeved at this "Deluxe collectors box" trend, particularly overpriced non-starters like the Dylan and Springsteen "Promise" special sets.  I say this having been a sucker for a bunch of these, including the Radiohead thing, Green Day's "Breakdown" thing,  the Monkees Headquarters sessions, the Stones "Ya Ya" box, lots of Rhino Handmade items, and the new Bright Eyes package, which gives you not only the vinyl LP, a T-shirt (!), and a bonus 45, but two copies of the CD - one free with the LP, another with a "special limited edition" sleeve or something, use it as a drink coaster, whatever.   I can see a 4-CD special Smile box for the obsessives like us, but why bother with the vinyl? Why is that a must-have?   At least make that a separate item those who want can buy.  There comes a point where putting too much stuff in the package "because you can" suggests a failure to comprehend what true collectors want and value: the tracks themselves.    

Having said that, one mini-trend I VERY much encourage is the practice of including either a CD or a FLAC download with new vinyl products (mp3 downloads are OK too, but FLAC is better).

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 12:09:53 PM »

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
PhilCohen
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »

Seriously though Phil, perhaps something commemorative on BigO might be appropriate at this time?    Grin

Any recordings offered at www.bigozine2.com are only offered for 10 days, and there's no Beach Boys material being offered there at the moment. Any previous things offered there can still be obtained if you e-mail them to request. Hope that you guys who acted quickly enough dug my "Smile" compilation, which was created between 2001-2003.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:32:02 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »

Let's leave the non-Smile discussion of DP alone for now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »

In case some of you are missing specific posts or modified posts: I just edited out the "non-SMiLE" part of this topic. If I did it too rigorous my apologies, but it's better to keep it on-topic here.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
PhilCohen
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »

Agreed.

Anyhow, to change the subject, for those of you who did obtain the(no longer offered) "Smile" material from Big O, what did you think?
Basically, this throws down the gauntlet. If Mark Linett & Alan Boyd can create something better, then I'll welcome it....but until then.......
(Big O has had the material long before the official "Smile" project was rumored, but they recently offered it due to renewed interest in "Smile")
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »

I think I'd most like to hear a totally new version of the album. I'd like to hear a version of Heroes more like the demo we have, without the bicycle rider section.
I think there's very little of that in Smile mixes that you hear. Nobody really messes around with the configuration of songs that much. really the sequencings that we're all familiar with have been run into the ground. There's 0% chance Mark will be able to recreate the album exactly as it would have been in 1966, and recreating the BWPS trackorder is boring and has been done to death. I'd much rather they try and assemble something new and fresh. Stick to the 1966 hand written note, include only those tracks, give preference to alternate mixes of those songs, especially any that may have been discovered in the vaults during the creation of this project.

I don't know, do you guys think there are enough vocals for a stack-o-vocals disc? Mark said it himself, most of the vocals weren't recorded, so following the Pet Sounds Sessions format, I think a stack-o-vocals disc would end up not having much on it.

I'd also like them to include the demos that are out there. The Surf's Up demo, the Vega-Tables demo, and the Humble Harv demo.

Also, Stereo, please.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 06:13:14 PM »

PhilCohen-
thanks so much for posting the SMiLE music recently. it's a great-sounding collection with a near-perfect running order.

I still prefer my own running order(s)... i believe i'm down to 3.   Cool

but I'm quite confident that Linnett & Boyd (and let's not forget Wilson) will indeed give us something better.

how many people heard the Humble Harv demo before 'Endless Harmony'? when/where did that turn up?

when did sessions for 'Can't Wait Too Long' begin? what about the CWTL tag? is it SMiLE music?
how about 'With Me Tonight'?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:53:54 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »

PhilCohen-
thanks so much for posting the SMiLE music recently. it's a great-sounding collection with a near-perfect running order.

I still prefer my own running order(s)... i believe i'm down to 3.   Cool

but I'm quite confident that Linnett & Boyd (and let's not forget Wilson) will indeed give us something better.

how many people heard the Humble Harv demo before 'Endless Harmony'? when/where did that turn up?

when did sessions for 'Can't Wait Too Long' begin? what about the CWTL tag? is it SMiLE music?

You've got to be careful with that download.  As I remember it, Phil made several very definitive pronouncements about it being the real and actual Smile, but in reality the list is based on discredited Priore theories.

Can't Wait Too Long, including the tag, was recorded after the Smile sessions ended.  Some early WMT recordings were made during the Smile sessions, but the Smiley Smile version of course was later.
PhilCohen
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »

PhilCohen-

The sequence on "Disc One" of my collection from "Our Prayer" through "You're Welcome" is the running order advised in the 2nd edition of the "Look Listen Vibrate Smile" book. Glad that you enjoyed it.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »

anyone know if the artwork made by frank homes will be included? It would be sweet if they come in a large glossy paper or poster. Also wasn't there a completed smile booklet in 67?
PhilCohen
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

PhilCohen-

I still prefer my own running order(s)... i believe i'm down to 3.   Cool

You've got to be careful with that download.  As I remember it, Phil made several very definitive pronouncements about it being the real and actual Smile, but in reality the list is based on discredited Priore theories.

Remember, my last revision to that compilation was done in 2003 when Priore's running order seemed quite feasable and credible, given the need to have a "Side One" & "Side Two"(each about 18 minutes) back in the 1960's days of vinyl. Whatever you think about that running order, I do provide the best sounding "Holidays", "Heroes & Villains Part 2"(with 6 of the 8 segements in stereo) & "Fire"(complete and in stereo, patterned after the mono edit on the Japanese "T-2580" disc.)("Fire" was recorded in two sections that must be edited together to get the complete recording)
                      I'll concede that there are some people who claim that Brian gave a "Smile" running order to Priore just to get Priore to leave his(Brian's) home.  I don't buy that because Priore knew Brian(and all the Beach Boys) for quite some time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:16:15 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »

I'm stoked. Not to seem kiss ass but could anyone have picked two guys they would trust more with this release than Alan and Mark?

Well, perhaps Andrew Sandoval, whose stereo mixes of "California Girls" & "Kiss Me Baby"(on the first edition of "Endless Harmony Soundtrack", the one with the orange-tinted black & white photo on the front) were superior(wider stereo separation and cleaner sonics) versus the Mark Linett mixes (on the 2nd edition of "Endless Harmony Soundtrack")
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »

What's your tracklist?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »

Two thoughts on this.  First, if Mark and Alan are in charge, I am sure the final product will be assembled with taste and discretion.  Hats off to them.

Now then: I am getting  a little peeved at this "Deluxe collectors box" trend, particularly overpriced non-starters like the Dylan and Springsteen "Promise" special sets.  I say this having been a sucker for a bunch of these, including the Radiohead thing, Green Day's "Breakdown" thing,  the Monkees Headquarters sessions, the Stones "Ya Ya" box, lots of Rhino Handmade items, and the new Bright Eyes package, which gives you not only the vinyl LP, a T-shirt (!), and a bonus 45, but two copies of the CD - one free with the LP, another with a "special limited edition" sleeve or something, use it as a drink coaster, whatever.   I can see a 4-CD special Smile box for the obsessives like us, but why bother with the vinyl? Why is that a must-have?   At least make that a separate item those who want can buy.  There comes a point where putting too much stuff in the package "because you can" suggests a failure to comprehend what true collectors want and value: the tracks themselves.    

Having said that, one mini-trend I VERY much encourage is the practice of including either a CD or a FLAC download with new vinyl products (mp3 downloads are OK too, but FLAC is better).

Well, I remember about a year ago on this thread some people were talking about a wanting a velvet lined box-set with vinyl, books, and such. I guess Capitol took this information to heart! I work for a living so I'm not ignorant about the price (hence my earlier inquiries), but I'll definitely be buying one of these - and as long as I'm willing to spend upwards of $100 on this set I'd love to see a vinyl or two.

The book is a wonderful add-on...and I hope that Priore interviews as many people as possible to get the most honest and comprehensive look at SMiLE...from the eyes of the people who were there - especially the wrecking crew. The interview booklet that came with The Pet Sounds Sessions is one of my favorite parts about that set. I've spent hours upon hours reading that tiny booklet. I hope they also add something like that to this set.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »

I'm hoping that an actual lead vocal for 'Barnyard' exists.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »

The book is a wonderful add-on...and I hope that Priore interviews as many people as possible to get the most honest and comprehensive look at SMiLE...from the eyes of the people who were there - especially the wrecking crew. The interview booklet that came with The Pet Sounds Sessions is one of my favorite parts about that set. I've spent hours upon hours reading that tiny booklet. I hope they also add something like that to this set.

I'm hoping since they're including vinyl that the book/booklet will be at least LP size.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »

Does anybody know if any new tapes have been found/recovered? What are the odds that the group has access to the Durrie Parks acetates?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx