gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 07:45:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: --- SMiLE A.D.: A Stereo Mix.  (Read 12312 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

Hey guys,

I just finished my stereo SMiLE mix.  Grin
You can preview the entire mix & DL here: http://beachboyssmilead.blogspot.com/2011/11/smile-ad-stereo-mix.html

Tracklist:

1) Our Prayer
2) Heroes And Villains
3) Barnyard
4) I'm In Great Shape
5) I Wanna Be Around - Friday Night
6) Do You Like Worms
7) Cabinessence
Cool Wind Chimes
9) Vegetables
10) Child Is The Father Of The Man
11) The Old Master Painter / You Were My Sunshine
12) He Gives Speeches
13) I Love To Say Dada
14) Surf's Up

While I'd like to keep an element of surprise, here are a few tid-bits:

*Barnyard:

- Brian's revised "Stomp The Dirt" lyric restored
- "Ooh"s play throughout the entire track, like the original acetate
- Harmony estimation added in 2nd verse via Melodyne

*I'm In Great Shape:
- Double tracked vocal simulation on Brian's lead

*Cabinessence:
- Carl's single tracked vocal isolated and restored

*He Gives Speeches:
- Harmony estimation added via Melodyne

Granted, there are flaws.
I hope you'll find it to be a creative, well-presented mix.

SMiLE

3D

J
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:56:53 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »

Very cool, thanks for posting

DL'ing now

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »

I love what you've done with DYLW, Very interesting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »

The lead vocal sounds best I've heard.  How did you isolate it?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »

I really like what you did, except... you cut "Wonderful"? THE INHUMANITY!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »

The lead vocal sounds best I've heard.  How did you isolate it?

Much appreciated, thanks for listening.

I did that by inverting the phase on the instrumental version of RPR, and synching it up to the millisecond with the album version.

Once I got the vocals isolated, I found there was a bit too much high end residue leftover from the track. So, I chopped up the "ess"'s, "t"'s, and any high frequency sounds from the vocal, put them on a seperate track, and cut the high end from the remainder of the vocal significantly. You can kinda still hear the hi-hat from RPR, but the high frequency track gives the illusion that the vocal is high quality.

Wound up doing the same thing with ILTSDD.

I really like what you did, except... you cut "Wonderful"? THE INHUMANITY!

Haha, saw that one coming. No Good Vibrations either! Although that's been done in stereo, quite well. I expect to tackle both of them for a revised edition down the line.   Smokin
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »

But in all seriousness, I love the way you produced "He Gives Speeches". That's more like what I'd expect the final Brian '66 mixdown to sound like.

More feedback:

The truncated "I Love to Say Dada" makes it point more efficiently.  "I'm in Great Shape" is wonderful, although I'm not sure about having the backing vocals going  during the verses of "Barnyard". Your "Heroes and Villains" mix is intriguing, and sounds very close to one of the ways Brian might've imagined the track. He probably would've had to recut a section or two to make it flow better, but otherwise, I could see that mix working wonderfully.

Finally, tambourines and a snare drum on the "Surf's Up" coda? Sign me up! Adding some backing vocals to the section of "Child" you use to start of the song? It makes you wonder what the finished version would've sounded like. It would've been so chill.

Good work!
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:11:11 AM »

Can't wait to hear it
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:12:06 AM »

Is it available in FLAC?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »

But in all seriousness, I love the way you produced "He Gives Speeches". That's more like what I'd expect the final Brian '66 mixdown to sound like.

More feedback:

The truncated "I Love to Say Dada" makes it point more efficiently.  "I'm in Great Shape" is wonderful, although I'm not sure about having the backing vocals going  during the verses of "Barnyard". Your "Heroes and Villains" mix is intriguing, and sounds very close to one of the ways Brian might've imagined the track. He probably would've had to recut a section or two to make it flow better, but otherwise, I could see that mix working wonderfully.

Finally, tambourines and a snare drum on the "Surf's Up" coda? Sign me up! Adding some backing vocals to the section of "Child" you use to start of the song? It makes you wonder what the finished version would've sounded like. It would've been so chill.

Good work!

Thanks for the solid review! Yeah, that SMiLE album could've been somethin...

Is it available in FLAC?

Not yet. I'll work on making that happen asap.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »

Sorry, but where are the Stomp the Dirt and Na Na Naa's in barnyard from?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »

H&V piano demo, Brian's second pass at Barnyard.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »

Honestly (aside from the abrupt intro), I don't think i've ever enjoyed a complete version of Love to Say Dada quite as much as i did this one. Well done  Smiley

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »

Love the tape slow down and restart at the end of Dada, like the album starts again!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

The Child mix is sweet, sweet, sweet.  Incorporating that lost "verse" segment as the intro is great, but then matching the vocal to it as well...pretty awesome.
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »

Love this mix; everything fits nicely, and there are some wonderfully creative touches.

Would it be possible to have a run down of the various parts that made up some of the other tracks, especially Worms & CITFOTM? I can't quite work out where some of the source material came from, what's been extracted from where and any processing that's taken place Smiley.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 12:59:55 PM »

Love. Love. LOVE IT.

Except, however the use of BWPS vocals, at first it's nice, but then It makes me wish they had real lyrics.

Speaking of which, I'm about done finishing my "worms" lyrics :D

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »

Love this mix; everything fits nicely, and there are some wonderfully creative touches.

Would it be possible to have a run down of the various parts that made up some of the other tracks, especially Worms & CITFOTM? I can't quite work out where some of the source material came from, what's been extracted from where and any processing that's taken place Smiley.

Thanks for listening. Here's a run down of those 2 you mentioned.

*Do You Like Worms
Verse 1
- Original 1966 backing track.
- BWPS vocals.
Choruses
-Isolated all of the elements from the overdubs found on the SOT set. That section had the most elements to play around with, in terms of mixing.
Verse 2
-Original 1966 backing track.
-BWPS vocals
-1966 backing vocals (TSS set).
Bridge
-Original 1966 backing track.
-Lead vocal isolated from the SOT set.
-1966 backing vocals (TSS set).

*Child Is The Father Of The Man
Intro
-TSS backing track.
-Vocal overdubs isolated from the SOT set.
-"Ahhh" intro from Can't Wait Too Long
-Cello note from verse section flown in before 1st chorus.
Choruses
-TSS backing track.
-Vocals extracted from newly found acetate, heard on TSS.
-Background vocals - "Ahh" intro from Can't Wait Too Long with falsetto "Ahh" isolated from Surf's Up
Verses
-TSS.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »

I listened to it this evening and I must say it's got me very excited!!. Best Smile mix ever!! Very brave choice of songs too. The Barnyard track hooked me & DYLW is amazing too. Lots of lovely surprises in each tracks. Very creative mixing the phasing is breathtaking. You've made me realize that there's lots of life left within Smile if only we could get people like yourself to play around and make mixes like this. Thank you for IMHO the best fanmix of Smile I've heard Smiley
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »

It seems my idea of using Can't Wait Too Long vocal flyins has been heard!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »

That was a wild, incredible and VERY enjoyable ride! The fact that you took the time to shake things up with even the more common, "finished" stuff speaks volumes for the enjoyability factor. I also thought the BW vocals that you lifted from BWPS were some of his better ones on there, and thus, blended more cohesively into the new presentation than I would've imagined. You mixed them very flatteringly, too. Additionally, I thought the use of the Melodyne software for harmonies was ingenious and tastefully done. It really makes one appreciate what can *still* be done with all the pieces and parts if one is willing to "throw the rulebook" out a bit.

I'd be interested in hearing your stereo GV, as well as whatever you might do at some point with some of the other unused tracks (i.e. the aforementioned Wonderful). Another big vote for FLAC, too!

The one thing that I sort of wished you did, though, was fill that missing vocal line from SU, ala the second verse Columbia fly-in that has been done on some other reconstructions over the years. I realize that some purists scoff at the use of it due to its "incorrect" melody line, but I personally still think it sounds better than a big fat hole there -- even if Brian may have originally performed it that way (and on the new '67 version as well). It's just that your mix is so pure and nice (and your sync-ing is definitely better than Linett's, even without the luxury of a multi-track source), that I'd like to make it my "finished" go-to version. Everything else about it is so damned perfect for me. Heck, even if you could find a way to extract Carl's voice from the '71 for that one line, without having a multi-track at your disposal, that would be a great alternative. Either or.

Thus, any chance for some stray, individual reworks and uploads...lol? Purely for selfish reasons. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:23:41 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »

Outstanding! May the well deserved accolades continue .  w00t!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »

*Child Is The Father Of The Man
Choruses
-TSS backing track.
-Vocals extracted from newly found acetate, heard on TSS.
-Background vocals - "Ahh" intro from Can't Wait Too Long with falsetto "Ahh" isolated from Surf's Up

Is there any way you can share the CIFOTM isolated chorus vocals from the acetate extract for those of us who want the song without Can't Wait Too Long bits? The choruses sound really really good with what you've done, but it would be nice to have a purist version.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 12:17:17 AM »

I love it when someone rolls their own and then passes it around! Smokin
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »

I listened to it this evening and I must say it's got me very excited!!. Best Smile mix ever!! Very brave choice of songs too. The Barnyard track hooked me & DYLW is amazing too. Lots of lovely surprises in each tracks. Very creative mixing the phasing is breathtaking. You've made me realize that there's lots of life left within Smile if only we could get people like yourself to play around and make mixes like this. Thank you for IMHO the best fanmix of Smile I've heard Smiley

Wow, thanks for the great review!

That was a wild, incredible and VERY enjoyable ride! The fact that you took the time to shake things up with even the more common, "finished" stuff speaks volumes for the enjoyability factor. I also thought the BW vocals that you lifted from BWPS were some of his better ones on there, and thus, blended more cohesively into the new presentation than I would've imagined. You mixed them very flatteringly, too. Additionally, I thought the use of the Melodyne software for harmonies was ingenious and tastefully done. It really makes one appreciate what can *still* be done with all the pieces and parts if one is willing to "throw the rulebook" out a bit.

I'd be interested in hearing your stereo GV, as well as whatever you might do at some point with some of the other unused tracks (i.e. the aforementioned Wonderful). Another big vote for FLAC, too!

The one thing that I sort of wished you did, though, was fill that missing vocal line from SU, ala the second verse Columbia fly-in that has been done on some other reconstructions over the years. I realize that some purists scoff at the use of it due to its "incorrect" melody line, but I personally still think it sounds better than a big fat hole there -- even if Brian may have originally performed it that way (and on the new '67 version as well). It's just that your mix is so pure and nice (and your sync-ing is definitely better than Linett's, even without the luxury of a multi-track source), that I'd like to make it my "finished" go-to version. Everything else about it is so damned perfect for me. Heck, even if you could find a way to extract Carl's voice from the '71 for that one line, without having a multi-track at your disposal, that would be a great alternative. Either or.

Thus, any chance for some stray, individual reworks and uploads...lol? Purely for selfish reasons. Smiley

Thanks for the great review! For some reason when I did Surf's Up, I had it in my head that this would be the anti-TSS version. Different synching, no Carl in the 1st section, CITFOTM drums at the end etc. But it's certainly possible that could change for the revised edition!

I love it when someone rolls their own and then passes it around! Smokin

Hahahaha.. nice. Speaking of..  Smokin

FLAC version coming soon.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:37:20 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx