gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 02:31:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soundtrack  (Read 18054 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »

When did Billboard say this?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

Last September.

Ah, well sh*t then...I think I'll take billboard's word Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »

It is my understanding that things changed after the Billboard article.

I would enjoy whatever BB/BW releases we can get, but I gather that Capitol delayed NPP so that it could, in essence, help promote the film.

Thus, we have One Kind of Love, which BW says was written for the film, on NPP. And we have a conspicuous silence from Capitol about any soundtrack release, which would surely be near June 5 if one was planned.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 10:28:38 AM »

When did Billboard say this?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

Last September.

Billboard also said there was going to be a Wilson/Beck album released.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »

Whether there will be a soundtrack in reality or not; for there to NOT be an official soundtrack for this film is so completely counter-intuitive.

However....

Occurrences counter-intuitive in nature are not altogether uncommon to the history of the Beach Boys.

Grin
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 10:50:11 AM »

It is my understanding that things changed after the Billboard article.

I would enjoy whatever BB/BW releases we can get, but I gather that Capitol delayed NPP so that it could, in essence, help promote the film.

Thus, we have One Kind of Love, which BW says was written for the film, on NPP. And we have a conspicuous silence from Capitol about any soundtrack release, which would surely be near June 5 if one was planned.

That makes sense. 

However, let me be another person that says I wished they would at least consider doing a 'Score' Soundtrack.  I've yet to see the film, very much anticipating it, and would love to have an accompanying score to go with it.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »

I'd buy the soundtrack if it was nothing more than BA on repeat… but then I'm like that…

“We live in divisive times.”
carnegiehall
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »

Having seen the movie, not to release a soundtrack would be another major missed opportunity in my opinion.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »

I'd certainly love to know the reason for a possible non-release. A major motion picture about Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys staring Paul Dano, John Cuscack, Elizabeth Banks, and Paul Giamatti....how the f*** could there not be a released soundtrack to that? It is the Beach Boys for crying out loud. Whatever the problem is, I hope it solves itself soon - absolutely crazy that movies like Ray, Walk the Line, I'm Not There, etc get a soundtrack but not one for Brian Wilson's biopic. SNAFU.

Also, many who have seen the film have already mentioned that this is a soundtrack with a score of a Beatles Love-esque nature. Mix in some of those new arrangements with some classic hits and a few rarities - why wouldn't you buy such an album? Ridiculous not to.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »

You just answered your own question - it's The Beach Boys.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »

We know its not BW or Al who doesn't want a release.....

Who could it be in BRI? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »

You just answered your own question - it's The Beach Boys.

True that. Just a shame it has to be that way.

I must say the last 5 years have been a treasure trove for Beach Boys fans, so not much room for complaints from me. But I'll still be pretty disappointed if a soundtrack doesn't eventually happen.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »

What a ridiculous move... i've tried to find out about this but haven't turned up much.

If it turns out it's Mike Love blocking a soundtrack release because he doesn't "get" Atticus Rose' style, he needs to have rotten tomatoes chucked at him for an apalling lack of taste. Or is he simply jealous and spiteful of the attention his cousin is recieving? Still bitter about the shitshow An American Family turned into? If its indeed the Loves blocking this: ya got Foskett, ya got Ike, you manipulated your family into letting you keep the licence... yay! You won! Mike Love is the best! But damn, let a soundtrack release happen and let the cousin take his victory lap.  Sheesh. Talk about petty. Besides, yer buddy Stamos will no doubt make cinematic history with his upcoming opus! Then finally Bruno Mars will return your calls!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:43:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »

I personally crapped all over Capitol for releasing that stupid little 'Best of' album weeks after Pet Sounds came out and then for seemingly putting more weight behind its push rather than that of the entirely superior NEW album.  I still sh*t on them for it.  I wasn't...and I'm not...the ONLY one.

So now...here we are celebrating Brian's new release and many of us think that No Pier Pressure is his best SOLO release of NEW music yet...a gem of an album.  So now Capitol is holding back...keeping quiet about an alum which could be coming out something in the vicinity of 8 weeks following the release of NPP.  I'm glad they're keeping a lid on it.  Certainly they wouldn't sabotage another ACE Brian project!!! 

If they held back on the release of NPP in order to help create momentum for the movie...well...OK.  I'd think that the movie will also help to promote NPP.  I mean I hope so.  And in tandem they'll hopefully help sell a few more tickets at every upcoming concert on the tour.  It could actually work.  Just...don't...hide No Pier Pressure behind a bunch of retreads.  I mean REALLY!!! Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »

I want those gorgeous soundtrack collages released. Unused sections of em, too. The lot. It's briliant work, they can stick some BW demos on there and interesting oddities... a demo of One Kind of Love, say? Early version of Till I Die!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:49:10 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »

How do you know Al and Brian are for it?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »

How do you know Al and Brian are for it?
Good question, the politics of the BBs are pretty complex but BW and Al are touring behind the album and L&M. A soundtrack would be another component of supporting the movie and NPP.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:07:53 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »

If it turns out it's Mike Love blocking a soundtrack release because he doesn't "get" Atticus Rose' style, he needs to have rotten tomatoes chucked at him for an apalling lack of taste. Or is he simply jealous and spiteful of the attention his cousin is recieving? Still bitter about the shitshow An American Family turned into? If its indeed the Loves blocking this: ya got Foskett, ya got Ike, you manipulated your family into letting you keep the licence... yay! You won! Mike Love is the best! But damn, let a soundtrack release happen and let the cousin take his victory lap.  Sheesh. Talk about petty. Besides, yer buddy Stamos will no doubt make cinematic history with his upcoming opus! Then finally Bruno Mars will return your calls!

Setting aside the multiple and entirely theoretical "ifs", why would Mike block a soundtrack that would mean more income for him ?

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »

To be honest, I do not want a soundtrack of Beach Boys songs from this film.

I want the film score soundtrack. That is all.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »

Setting aside the multiple and entirely theoretical "ifs", why would Mike block a soundtrack that would mean more income for him ?

Increased sandwich budget with Foskett and Ike aboard may mean cuts in accommodations and stuffing instead of potatoes on his LoveForce1 jet, but you have to admit it would seem like the kind of move a pissy guy with a grudge in a busy year might be prone to. Can you find out what the Loves think of Love & Mercy and when they plan to see it or maybe if they looked at the scripts that circulate? While it's easy to write dialogue and spiteful gibberish for Fantasy Mike Love, you're right - some facts might help. Calling Tahoe... Calling Tahoe...

Regardless, I have a feeling he'll be opining soon enough in tiny newspapers and we'll get an earful!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:32:16 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »

There IS a movie soundtrack. From everything I know about its (non)release, it needs to be signed off on by ALL the partners of BRI.
As of April 23rd, 2015, that has not happened.

The work by Atticus Rose is brilliant and important and breathtaking. High art from high art. Why would anybody choose not to sign off on that?

People need to know that the rounding of third began long ago.
How one finishes is how history remembers them.

There's a right side and a wrong side to history.
(I'm both amazed -- and sadly used to -- the people choosing the wrong side.)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:11:54 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »

So... someone isn't voting. Brian and Al, surely they are in. Which leaves Mike Love and Carl Wilson's family. Fine, ask Mike to sing "Goin' to the Beach" on the extended Japanese edition and offer a portion of the proceeds to go to the Carl Wilson Fund for Men Who Look and Sometimes Sing Like Carl Wilson in the Shower... call it a day! Ok, Al does "Cottonfields" for no apparent reason on the European release.

It's good stuff and it treats all parties fairly... Mike Love comes off like... Mike Love in the movie. I think the staunchest Pinder-y defender of our favorite pointing pantomimer will not quibble much with how he's portrayed in the film. Sure, some song specifics are changed but the points of his arguments would be defended to death by a lot of us here!

most importantly, Howie is right - those Rose collages need a proper release, not just the guys on this board making nice surround compilations of mixes. Though obviously, you're going to do that for me if the bluray release doesn't. A nice selection of extras might be a second way to get these tracks if "certain parties" can't come to agreement for a release with Capitol.

It's tasty stuff, fellas. See it in a theater with a good sound system this summer not some crappy bootleg on a laptop! Your ears will thank you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:11:50 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »

I think we're thinking far too much into nothing here with whether or not BRI would approve such a release (and even if Mike didn't approve it, why wouldn't Carl's estate approve it? It's free money for them, and hell, free money for Mike too!)

We have no idea why the soundtrack isn't happening and grasping at straws for someone to blame isn't going to do anything but create more arguments.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »

I think we're thinking far too much into nothing here with whether or not BRI would approve such a release (and even if Mike didn't approve it, why wouldn't Carl's estate approve it? It's free money for them, and hell, free money for Mike too!)

We have no idea why the soundtrack isn't happening and grasping at straws for someone to blame isn't going to do anything but create more arguments.

It sounds like at least a few folks *do* know why it isn't happening (or hasn't happened thus far). It's a fair assumption Brian Wilson has no problem signing off. Al is buds with Brian these days (there's a even a pic out there of Al talking to some of the cast of the L&M film as I recall), so it's unlikely to be him.

If someone is stalling a release for political or d***head reasons, I for one wouldn't mind knowing. I'm glad Howie has been able to tell us as much as we now know; a soundtrack of some sort did (or does) exist.

What I would hope is that there might be some way to finagle a release of the score portions alone. I know licensing and use of trademarks can be a difficult thing to clear (which may be why BRI approval is needed even if there aren't any BB recordings in question). But I wonder if Atticus Ross and the film's production team could somehow get the score out even if they can't call it that. Just an Atticus Ross album called "A New Album of Stuff", with proper publishing and royalties for the songwriters whose work Ross has woven into his score. Anybody can cover BB songs if they pay the flat royalty rate for CDs/albums. "Tribute" albums even use the "Beach Boys" name in some form in the title sometimes. I hope we get to hear this score, or, as I mentioned before, there is something salvageable on the Blu-ray audio track to pull some of the score out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:49:46 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 03:56:58 PM »

This is why BRI needs a MANAGER.

Because a manager (a real one) understands that there is both a high art and casual element to the selling of this band. For those catching up: Brian Wilson camp = high art and the Mike Love camp = casual element. A neutral manager -- preferably, someone who knows these ropes -- would be able to act as a true moderator and circumvent the messes of (at least) the past dozen years.

Both camps are important parts of the Beach Boys experience in 2015, yet, obviously, only one will continue to be in 30, 40. . . 250 years. That’s a fact no matter what team’s jersey you wear (or who’s check you cash.)

Holding the high art faction ransom (or at the very least, trying to spoil it a la the ugliness and lawsuits surrounding the release of BWPS) should never be tolerated.

Atticus Rose’s thought-provoking and forward looking score should get the same unanimous vote that allowed this BBQ to exist without interference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBSWYoSPj4
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »

unfortunately soundtracks are old hat,,, unless it's a huge movie like the "Lord of the ring" or "Star Wars" it seems that Rock n roll type soundtracks (like Ray or Grease, or an 80's soundtrack movie) are out of fashion , just think about it when was the last time you actually saw a (non instrumental) rock n roll soundtrack? Since the 80's? other than Ray and a couple more?it seems that instrumentals (orchestra and Synths) are the in thing right now..
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx