gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 04:36:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Al Jardine Radio Interview  (Read 2084 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

I don't see that this has been posted here yet, apologies if it has...from Al's Facebook page:

Interview on the Jammin' Jukebox on WXOU 88.3FM in Rochester, MI from last week...thanks Julia!
http://www.mixcloud.com/WXOU/wxou-the-jammin-jukebox-al-jardine-interview/
Al Jardine is an original and founding member of the popular American group the Beach Boys. He talked about several tracks from his recent solo album a postcard from California. He also discussed the Beach Boys smile sessions winning a Grammy award, the Beach Boys party! album, and much more. A....

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »

Who's the girl?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:58:55 AM »

That's actually a pretty good interview, Al seems to be in a good mood.

It's always good when the interviewer does some good research and she seems like a fan

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »

Who's the girl?

I am guessing a student. Honestly I was going to criticize her, but realized the radio station is from a university (Oakland University, in Michigan). So a person has to cut some slack.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »

Who's the girl?

I am guessing a student. Honestly I was going to criticize her, but realized the radio station is from a university (Oakland University, in Michigan). So a person has to cut some slack.

I thought it was a refreshing break from the usual boring radio interview.

Al seemed to enjoy her cheerfulness

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »

I'm always amazed at the ability of some stations to score these interviews.  Maybe if I act like a ditsy, I-just-googled-Postcard-and-smile-5-minutes-ago Beach Boys fan, I can finally get the interview I've been asking for with Al!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »

For a student, she has rather an old-sounding voice with nasal tinges. Besides, because of her laughters, I couldn't hear what Al was saying sometimes. Other than that, interesting & informative interview. For example, I didn't know Paul's cameo appearance in "Don't Fight the Sea"'s official video was Al's idea entirely, that he met him at the Grammy's & told him to say the title of the song in front of the camera. I thought that segment wasn't related to the song at all, just kind of an in-joke. Also, I liked when Al mentioned about his children's book "Sloop John B", notwithstanding it's out of publication.

Cool to know that Al's favorite performers on his solo record are the same as mine, i.e. Glen Campbell & Brian Wilson. Generally, it's so wonderful that he's still of high opinion about his long-time friend & collaborator.

Help Me Rhonda having "Fanny Mae" harmonica is another interesting tidbit. Never even would have thought of that connection. As well as Flea bringing trumpet to the studio, even if for some other song. And interesting about some unreleased song called "My Playlist Tomorrow".

No wonder that Al likes Heroes & Villains, because if he didn't, he wouldn't attempt to sing it on stage. And I'd say, he does it very well. As for Party!, that girl is otm, he indeed did the great Bob Dylan covers (if count also tremendous version of "Blowin' In the Wind"). Plus I agree with her re Drivin' - it's a really cool song, with cool duet of Brian with Al.

Now, I don't get what is good about Bruno Mars. I heard Bruce likes him, but Al/his wife? Sorry, Al, but calling him a "new James Brown" is a total misconception. Not even close. But then I'm glad that he listens to some modern music, points out there are many good country artists nowadays. And yet he prefers mostly the 50s folk/country/rockabilly which I recall are Kingston Trio & Tex Ritter.

All in all, it is a great radio find! Listened to it like 5 times. Thank you for posting it, c-man!

prob due to Bruno Mars having some affiliation with doo-wop and it's continued promotion (including having a 'smash' album with doo-wop in the title). persoanlly i find the music to bland and saccharine, but if it makes younger people more interested in doo-wop then good on him. I could perhaps compare it to what Michael Bublé does for big band music!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »

Can't listen to this right now but assume no hints dropped about MIC?!?!

“We live in divisive times.”
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »

Can't listen to this right now but assume no hints dropped about MIC?!?!

Nope.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx