gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 12:42:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson song just premiered on radio  (Read 67351 times)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »

Brian is one hell of a vocal coach if he can get people to sing a completely straight note with no pitch variation at all
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »

I liked it.  In fact it's absolute ear candy.  Everytime you forget how amazing that Beach Boys blend (even without M&B here) can be it comes right back and surprises the heck out of you.  If the rest of the record is anything like this I think we are in for a treat!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »

Thank you for the link!

I like it. It has a sentimental sound with cool harmonies that - yeah it has to be said here - would have made this an interesting song for the Beach Boys.

Who does the falsetto? This doesn't sound like Jeff.

Thanks for the song Brian, Al and Dave!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »

Professor just hearing this for the first time: total Hawthorne reunion! Well,no Mike.  I love Dave's guitar,and whoever does not......well, I am baffled.

Chorus goes on a bit too long--or rather the chorus repeated as an extended bridge before the solo goes on a few bars too long. Dave's outtro is great.  Listen, this is not some revolutionary new sound nor some philosophical statement like Summer's gone, but I would listen to 5 albums full of BW, AJ, and DM playing together. Mike and Bruce on this? I wish. Mike and Brice on Our Special Love? I wish.

all this makes me want a new BB album with all the boys together.

love David's parts! what a joy to see the Lost BB found again and again!

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »

Have to wonder who's on top of the mix?  Is it Brian Eichenberger, cause it doesn't really sound like Matt. Mind you, I haven't heard Matt doing much over the last few(ish) years so maybe his voice has changed a bit.

Still, I love the song, a wonderful 2:40 of ear candy  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:02:17 AM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »

I liked this track too.... In a L.A. Kind of way.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »

Out of the songs I've heard from the album id definitely rate it below Saturday Night and Our Special Love. But still a solid song nonetheless!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:42 AM »

I never cared much about Lay Down Burden. This one isn't bad but doesn't spark either.

Waiting for the rest of the tracks.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »

It amazes me how everybody is now an expert on recording techniques and really has better  taste than Brian Wilson whenit comes to producing a song.
Brian just came here a few weeks ago to state that he dislikes the sound of hi-hats, so I'd say he has pretty good taste, and that his true preferences may not account for the (in my opinion) 1970s schlock rock arrangement on this track.

I'm sure the album will have stronger material.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:33:44 AM by puni puni » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »

Brian is one hell of a vocal coach if he can get people to sing a completely straight note with no pitch variation at all

I'd suggest listening to the Pet Sounds Sessions for one, then some of the comments from Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Mike, etc regarding how Brian would have them sing parts in the studio over and over again until it was just right. Listen to some of the longer sustained notes sung by various Beach Boys on those 60's records, like Mike on "That's Not Me", the various voices that "answer" Brian's falsetto on the vocal break of "You Still Believe In Me", and some of the vocals-only remixes that have appeared. On a majority of those 60's vintage tracks, if you applied Autotune or other software it wouldn't even trigger in noticeably on the notes because it wouldn't detect anything as being "out", enough to trigger the digital process to correct it. The only way you could have an audible Autotuned effect on most of Pet Sounds, for example, would be to deliberately program it to trigger in another key. The notes as is are/were right on the money for the most part. And that includes taking the correct breath before sustaining one of the longer-held notes to avoid flatting that note before the next phrase.

Unless someone had access to a time machine, hopped in that time machine carrying some version of Antares AutoTune software or rackmount effects unit or other effects, hopped into Western's control room, hooked it up for mixdown, then hopped back in the time machine and came back...

...how would they be able to get those completely straight notes on an album like Pet Sounds 40 years before Autotune was developed? Maybe the Beach Boys in those interviews and comments have the ultimate answer when they say they would sing these notes and phrases until it was just right.

And based on what at least one of the artists who sang on the upcoming album has said about the recording process for the new tracks in a television interview, Brian Wilson still does the same thing regarding singing on pitch in the studio. Take after take until it's right. Calling out flat or off-pitch notes from the control room. Just like the 60's.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »

I'd suggest listening to the Pet Sounds Sessions for one, then some of the comments from Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Mike, etc regarding how Brian would have them sing parts in the studio over and over again until it was just right. Listen to some of the longer sustained notes sung by various Beach Boys on those 60's records, like Mike on "That's Not Me", the various voices that "answer" Brian's falsetto on the vocal break of "You Still Believe In Me", and some of the vocals-only remixes that have appeared. On a majority of those 60's vintage tracks, if you applied Autotune or other software it wouldn't even trigger in noticeably on the notes because it wouldn't detect anything as being "out", enough to trigger the digital process to correct it. The only way you could have an audible Autotuned effect on most of Pet Sounds, for example, would be to deliberately program it to trigger in another key. The notes as is are/were right on the money for the most part. And that includes taking the correct breath before sustaining one of the longer-held notes to avoid flatting that note before the next phrase.

Unless someone had access to a time machine, hopped in that time machine carrying some version of Antares AutoTune software or rackmount effects unit or other effects, hopped into Western's control room, hooked it up for mixdown, then hopped back in the time machine and came back...

...how would they be able to get those completely straight notes on an album like Pet Sounds 40 years before Autotune was developed? Maybe the Beach Boys in those interviews and comments have the ultimate answer when they say they would sing these notes and phrases until it was just right.

And based on what at least one of the artists who sang on the upcoming album has said about the recording process for the new tracks in a television interview, Brian Wilson still does the same thing regarding singing on pitch in the studio. Take after take until it's right. Calling out flat or off-pitch notes from the control room. Just like the 60's.  Smiley

This !
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »

Ray,

Is this a lead single, or did these DJs just get a copy of the album and decide to play this song?  Do you know if there will be a lead single, and when it will be released?

Thanks,
Matt
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »

That's really interesting!  I can see it now, I think you can even see it a little bit on the That's Why God Made the Radio promo videos.  I will however stand by my belief that there is some pitch correction software being used during post-production on this new album.   Cheesy
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »

Ray,

Is this a lead single, or did these DJs just get a copy of the album and decide to play this song?  Do you know if there will be a lead single, and when it will be released?

Thanks,
Matt
[/quote
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:14:43 AM by Ray Lawlor » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

Some of the comments comparing/equating/confusing/substituting pitch correction to/for Brian's recording techniques in the '60s are...well, interesting.  Guess I'll leave it at that.  As has been implied, if we weren't actually in the studio leaning over someone's shoulder, it would be impossible to intuit from mere listening how things were done, no matter how good one's ears are.  I guess.

The falsetto on this is fabulous. I wonder if it's the new guy?  Best I've heard in yonks.

The - um - well since it's a hotly debated topic, I will say what I perceived to be pitch correction on the band and in particular on Al's voice on the last album marred my enjoyment of same, and I am not a fan of pitch correction as "the sound" of current pop radio at all.  To me, it sucks the life out of everything.  Having said that, within those perimeters this one doesn't sound that egregious to me -- Joe Thomas' (for that matter, most current pop producers') engineering choices aren't to my taste, so I guess I was prepared for worse -- and I found the vibe and chord progression intriguing.  It's very early '70s Carole King-y with an ever so slight hint of the HOLLAND sound.  

I don't think hardcore Beach Boys fans are the target demo for this tune, but I think there is stuff here to like.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:28:01 AM by adamghost » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

I dig what you say. Brian worked hard to achieve the best possible performances. He was not, however, a perfectionist in a contemporary way, I think. Of course, he used the technology he had to his advantage, but part of the reason he produced so much music and of such a great quality in a short time had to do, for me, with the pace he worked at, even if meant having to live with some mistakes or shortcomings. For instance, Brian + Joe 2015 would probably pitch-correct or re-record Brian's vocals for You Still Believe in Me. There's plenty of flat notes, easily noticeably in the voice-only track. Of course Brian knew that it wouldn't be of importance against the track once the vocals were doubled. But still, certain things that wouldn't be accepted today on an AC recording were part of the working day for Brian.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:33:48 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »

I believe this is Matt Jardine on the high parts here.  Evidence being that the album was fully recorded before Eichenberger joined the band.  Jeff is on the record NPP but that sure doesn't sound like him on this track.  Also, during the live show in Vegas' performance of the song Matt Jardine was singing the high parts.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

Sounds like Matt to me as well. Besides the evidence that Rich states, just listen to the blend of the high voice with Al's part right below. It sounds like an extension of Al's voice into a higher register. That genetic thang.
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

Those guitar licks have no place in a Brian Wilson production.

I completely disagree. I love David Marks playing! It sounds to me like a Fender Telecaster, very Ventures meets  David Marks. It reminds me of a very blues oriented David Marks,who used to play guitar in The Beach Boys when he was like 11. And now he's lived his life and has an actual style. I think he fits very well! Great job Brian including him on your new album.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »

Well...it ain't carrots or celery. Wink  Guitars-Shmitars.  Cheesy

Hard to believe David...or Brian...progressed beyond the Surfin'  USA album.   Shocked

The freekin' 'nerve'!!!  LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »

As much as the Professor wants a new BB album, for a 100 reasons, hearing Dave play so meaningfully and beautifully with B and A is just as good, since the song is good, and they seem emotionally pleased with the work. I would love to hear the three interviewed about their 2 songs, and I'm sure they would tell M and B, "come on back and be with us!"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Those guitar licks have no place in a Brian Wilson production.

I completely disagree. I love David Marks playing! It sounds to me like a Fender Telecaster, very Ventures meets  David Marks. It reminds me of a very blues oriented David Marks,who used to play guitar in The Beach Boys when he was like 11. And now he's lived his life and has an actual style. I think he fits very well! Great job Brian including him on your new album.

Just the right level and style for the song IMO. Often a solo is so over blown it ruins a tune but this hits the spot.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »

Let me suggest that anders wyller ...in making what looks to have been only his 15th post here...really gave us something cool to listen to and to talk about today.  He dropped the song on us...made one more comment...and left. Cool Guy

Hey... ... ...ANDERS... ... ...T H A N K  .  Y O U.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2015, 12:54:33 PM »

Has a sound that I would compare to a cross between imagination and the 2012 lp.   and I couldn't help but recall the song Night Time from the 88 Wilson LP.   this is very  MOR and hooky.    I anticipate hearing this later as background in a movie or at the supermarket.  In a good way.   sounds a bit dated but then so are the fans and the artist.   don't know a damn thing about auto tune but I do know raw and real from overproduced.     I will buy the lp.   
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »

Meat and potatos BW post 1995.  Nice and pleasant - sounds kind of like the theme to a TV show.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx