gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680989 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 10:58:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Brian Wilson Orchestra  (Read 5424 times)
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

I'd go for sure.  Without Brian they might even feel free to integrate some of their own original material into the shows.  My hunch though is that this particular band would not stay together without Brian, they just have too many creative interests of their own.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »

well i guess this is where you'd find the people who would
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »

I'd go for sure.  Without Brian they might even feel free to integrate some of their own original material into the shows.  My hunch though is that this particular band would not stay together without Brian, they just have too many creative interests of their own.
They almost certainly wouldn't because, as AGD said earlier in the thread, they aren't a band other than as hired parts of BW's tours.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »

They almost certainly wouldn't because, as AGD said earlier in the thread, they aren't a band other than as hired parts of BW's tours.
[/quote]
True but as some have pointed out in reviews of BWRG, it can be argued they've become a band.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »

Become a band in what sense, though? Group of people who have become familiar with one another? Sure--many of them have played together now for a decade. But become a band in the sense that they work together on original material, or would have some reason to exist other than that they are paid by the Wilson org.? I doubt it. Let's not romanticize things. Wondermints were, and maybe still are, a band. Simons, Mills, Bragg, Foskett, Bennett, and Mertens aren't. (Gregory, sometimes, as a part-time 'mint.) I'm not saying they couldn't be a band. I'm not saying they won't want to be a band. But right now, that group of people are a collection of hired sidemen, and if they weren't, someone else would be. Sure, they could tour as a Wilson cover band, and especially if they were made official via the Wilson or BRI organizations, I'm sure they'd do just fine financially. But they are what they are.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

The Glenn Miller Orchestra has toured without Glenn Miller since he died in 1944.  Another example, local to me, is the Sun Ra Arrestra.  In the rock world, there's too many examples to count; tribute bands have become big business.  When Mike or Brian retire/die, that will not stop touring BBoy bands.  Guaranteed.  And it wouldn't surprise me if BW's band continued to do official shows, sanctioned by BRI.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »

It would be pretty disrespectful to Brian to carry on.

It would be disrespectful to Brian & his music to not carry on.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
rogerlancelot
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »

Brian Wilson & The Futher Muckin' Buck Futters

Brian Wilson & The Ass Bandits

I still think his next album should be strictly gay country. It would certainly confuse his critics and it might be a stronger statement than an album of Disney covers.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »

It would be pretty disrespectful to Brian to carry on.

It would be disrespectful to Brian & his music to not carry on.

Not sure I follow. Last thing I heard, if you want to hear Brian Wilson's music, you can buy it on these new-fangled things called CDs, MP3s or even records. It's not like, I dunno, Mozart or Bach or something where you can only hear the music via a modern recording or going to a show. You have the man's body of work, as he originally intended (which i certainly don't think was in a concert scenario), archived and preserved in the vaults, and available for the populace in easily accessible formats. His music won't suddenly stop existing or go out of print or fall off the map if his band (which I love, btw) hang up the guitars after he dies.

I've tried answering this topic a few times since Luther's original answer without much success. I guess I just don't like tribute bands. The idea of the Count Basie or Duke Ellington bands carrying on after the death of their leaders does seems a little.... phoney. I guess. I'm turning it over in my head, and I just don't like the idea of it. By all means, they can do tribute shows, write their memoirs, join other bands, write new material, cover BB's songs on their albums.... But the Brian Wilson Band without Brian Wilson isn't The Brian Wilson Band, in my opinion.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »

This BAND, as a unit,  has a SOUND.  Like Chicago Transit Authority, BST, The Dead, The Beach Boys, Spector, Motown, etc.   They at least should have an identity as much as the Heartbreakers or Crazyhorse.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »

I'd go, no question about it. Brian is the least impressive part of his shows--by far--unless the music isn't important to you. His instrumental contributions are nil, his vocal contributions are shaky. It's funny to watch him, and there's a certain car-wreck / feel-good part to the whole thing. But in terms of quality performance? I love his band despite Brian Wilson. Mike Love's recent comments about the Beach Boys possibly carrying on because of the strength of the material are dead on. There will be a market for that music forever.

This manages to be on target and off target at the same time.

The one thing that binds this disparate group together is Brian and his music. They're more proficient, certainly, than their sometimes awkward leader. But that group exists to back him / cover for him / enhance him / spur him on.

To see the group when Brian is on fire -- as he is every other tour or so -- is to see a radically different group than when they're merely propping up a bored or scared BW. They go to another level -- and it's why, to me at least, the group wouldn't quite work without him.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »

My guess, and of course that's all it is, is that an "on fire" BW doesn't take them to another level so much as the scared and stiff and awkward BW drags them down a level. And without him, they'd be able to do a better job of really pushing every night without fear of the reaction of the guy seated at front-center stage.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx