gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 11:46:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Found "Celebration" on vinyl here's my review  (Read 5614 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »

Produced by Ron Albach
Side A
1. Getting Hungry- an ok cover song, nothing great though. (mike on lead)
2. Sailor- wow this song is horrible, it's "Sail On Sailor" part 2 with horrible lyrics they even sing "sail on sailor" on it (Dave Robinson on lead)
3. Lovestruck- Yuck.. this song is just as bad as "Sailor" (Dave Robinson on lead)
4. She's out to get you- Good song, nothing great though, It is catchy, could have been on MIU or 15 big ones or KTSA. (Mike on lead)
5. I Don't wanna know- Great song, could have been a Beach Boys song, again no masterpiece but would have been a song that could have been on LA or MIU or KTSA, this version has Dave Robinson singing lead and not Mike.
Side B
1.Starbaby-the only song on this album to feature Paul Fauerso on lead vocal, musically it sounds like someone like Barry White, kind of soft and funky, it's not very good though.
2. Go and get that girl- This version sucks compared to the Beach Boys version that has been booted. (Dave Robinson on lead)
3. How's about a little bit- This is the same (or at least similar) to the version booted, an Ok song but nothing great, could have been a filler on 15 Big Ones or MIU or something like that. (Mike on lead)
4. Song of creation- an ok song, the lyrics are better than the music, but not much, the music doesn't really go anywhere, (Dave Robinson on lead)
5. Country Pie- not very good IMO , I know this one has been spoken about amongst the fans the past few years  but this version is just horrible maybe there's a better version of it out there somewhere but this is NOT it...lol..., again with Dave Robinson on lead vocals.

so all in all I can see why they won't reissue this one on cd, because it isn't very good, I'm sorry but Dave Robinson just doesn't have that great of a voice, IMO, and he sings most of the songs, Paul Fauerso has an ok voice but nothing special too IMO, and of course we all know what Mike sounds like. The cover is kind of weird because it has Brian, Carl and Jan Berry on it while they aren't actually on the album Dean Torrence is on the cover but he also did the album art, not sure why Brian. Carl and Jan were on the cover other than to help sell copies.. he production is about the same as MIU maybe LA but it's not a typical Beach Boys type production, it has more of a watered down A&R type sound, real mellow.
KingSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »

Always liked Almost Summer, too bad it's not on that LP. Actually got some airplay around here. Thanks for the review.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »

Cruisin' is very good too but not on that LP! Really wish I could get this on CD so I can listen to this!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »

Always liked Almost Summer, too bad it's not on that LP. Actually got some airplay around here. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome.. Grin
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »

Almost Summer and Cruisin were on the Almost Summer soundtrack.

On this LP, I've always enjoyed She's Just Out To Get You, probably Mike's most spirited lead vocal ever! And Song Of Creation is great. Could have been a hit if done by a more well known group.

Country Pie is a bit grating to my ears. Gettin Hungry is good, definitely different than the original, but perhaps a minute too long and drags toward the end.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:03:12 AM »

I like Country Pie. Nothing startling, I'll admit, but I could think of tracks on LA and MIU that I would (very) happily leave out in its place.. Certainly sounds like Mike on lead despite what it says on the album sleeve.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 02:01:33 AM »

Maybe because it was on the previous Celebration album ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13:56 AM »

I like Country Pie. Nothing startling, I'll admit, but I could think of tracks on LA and MIU that I would (very) happily leave out in its place.. Certainly sounds like Mike on lead despite what it says on the album sleeve.

Yeah, there's no way that isn't Mike who sings Country Pie!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 08:20:25 AM »

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline) 

Found "Celebration" on vinyl here's my review

« on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »

Produced by Ron Albach
Side A
1. Getting Hungry- an ok cover song, nothing great though. (mike on lead)
When I bought this album in February of 1979 I thought it was a strong album.  Still do.
Gettin' Hungry - in my view - was a more effective disco remake than Here Comes the Night - and I liked Here Comes the Night.  Sailor was OK... Lovestruck I could do without.  She's Just Out to Get You was a great track as was I Don't Wanna Know.  Starbaby and Go & Get That Girl were also very good tracks.  How's About A little Bit, for me, has always been a weak song.  Song of Creation a bit preachy, reminded me at the time of Mike's dull TM segments in pre-1978 concerts.  It was something you just put up with at the time.  Country Pie, for me, is the long lost 78/79 classic single that never was.  It was good to get a studio version of it... but it suffers from a muddled mix.  BG vocals and horns are buried.  The Beach Boys live version of this song always sounded big and spectacular, with the added value of Carl and Al's vocals.  I'm sorry we never got a full fledged BB version; it would have been a big hit in the summer of 1978.

So, for me, that's 7 good tracks out of ten.  Not bad.  My biggest complaint with the album - as noted before - is a somewhat muddled mix.  The BG vocals are also weak, in my view,  Dave Robinson is no Carl Wilson.

As for the cover... the photos and newspaper articles all come from an April 1978 Celebration concert at USC. It's an interesting, fun show,,, the first half features Celebration tracks, including Almost Summer and Cruisin, plus I Don't Wanna Know, Song of Creation, instrumentals (Island Girl, California Girls) and Dave Robinson does his King Harvest hit Dancin' in the Moonlight.  Midway through, Dean Torrence comes out and they do "Catch A Wave and Go Sidewalk Surfin", Surf City and, I think, Little Old Lady from Pasadena.  Jan comes out in the middle of all of this.  He does bg vocals but doesn't sing any leads.  Carl and Brian are introduced and the show wraps up with a car medley and Good Vibrations.  That's why the photos of Jan, Dean, Brian, et. al.  There's a wonderful little moment when Mike - on mic -  notices Brian has arrived backstage; he sounds genuinely delighted and asks him if he's going to stay and play.  It's a walls down moment; you get the sense that this is how these guys talk to each other when no one is around.  And from all accounts, plus audio and photographic evidence, everyone involved had a great time.  The pressure was off.  Mike was doing a free show with his band on a college campus.  Brian and Carl got to hang out with Jan & Dean and the college crowd, just like the old days, have a few beers and jam.  I'd love to see a commercial release of that show, if a board recording ever surfaces.

The Celebration experiment was a success, at a time when the Beach Boys were badly splintered and unable to take advantage of the momentum from their 1976 comeback.  Over an 18 month period Celebration landed a soundtrack deal, managed a hit single, got a deal with Kodak for a series of popular camera commercials (which DID feature the aforementioned Dean Torrence's unmistakable falsetto) and released a perfectly respectable follow-up album with new material. 

That's not a bad average in my view.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »

The thing with "Country Pie" is that, while it's totally unfair to judge a song by one performance (or one string of performances), this song had the somewhat unfair misfortune to end up being kind of emblematic of the farce that was the 1978 Australia tour. Whenever I think of this song, I don't think of the "Celebration" album. I just think of that BB tour, of Mike doing his on-stage schtick (simultaneously coming across as trying to hold the show together, and also totally lame), and Carl doing his shouty, drunken backing vocals on the song.

By far the most "accessible" Beach Boys versions of the song are the extant video of the Australia '78 tour, and a few audio recordings (radio broadcasts?). I think "Country Pie" is kind of a lame song, but it's relatively inoffensive. But it was just a bit extra surreal on that tour. Mike was trying his best to engage the audience, but the whole conceit was lame, of trying to "teach" a song to the audience that they've never heard and probably didn't want to hear. It became surreal to see Mike energetically pantomiming the lyrics to get the audience to remember them, while Carl a few feet away looked and sounded like he was about to barf.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KingSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »

Yeah, I've seen a couple of their LPs years ago. Figured I wouldn't like much past Almost Summer. I do have the 45 buried away somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:15:34 AM by KingSurf » Logged
KingSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:42 AM »

Yeah, I've seen a couple of their LPs years ago. Didn't buy, figured I wouldn't like much past Almost Summer. I do have the 45 buried away somewhere.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 12:08:14 PM »

<< I think "Country Pie" is kind of a lame song, but it's relatively inoffensive. But it was just a bit extra surreal on that tour. Mike was trying his best to engage the audience, but the whole conceit was lame, of trying to "teach" a song to the audience that they've never heard and probably didn't want to hear. It became surreal to see Mike energetically pantomiming the lyrics to get the audience to remember them, while Carl a few feet away looked and sounded like he was about to barf. >>

I can't speak for whether Carl or anyone else liked the song, but they certainly played on it (sans Dennis), and enthusiastically, at the shows I saw.  I've never seen Carl turn his nose up at someone else's song; he's always been too much of a professional for that.  If it's in the set list, he was going to do the finest job he could on it.  And Country Pie had been a minor hit for King Harvest three years earlier, up there similarly with other 70s country/pop/rock gems like "Still the One."  The Aussie audience may have had trouble identifying with such a rural America vibe.  I can certainly attest that the audience I was with at the Springfield, IL state fair on 8/13/78 was into it big time; drowning out the band on the chorus like it was Help Me Rhonda.  I found the tape I made of the show a few months back.  Quite something to hear, and in my opinion, a missed opportunity for a single.

FOOTNOTE: One very interesting Celebration LP was completed in the fall of 1978 but never released.  It was the second Deadman's Curve soundtrack LP (the first, featuring Dean and Papa Doo Run Run) was slated for release in the Spring of 1978 on RSO, until the deal fell through.)  But the second featured Celebration doing Jan & Dean songs (New Girl in School, Sidewalk Surfin, etc), along with Dean and Papa Doo Run Run covering Beach Boys tracks (Shut Down, Fun Fun Fun, etc.).  These were not the mixes that ended up on the Silver Summer LP in 1984.  It also features Jan Berry on a bluegrass remake of Jennie Lee.  It was scheduled for release on Mike Nesmith's Pacific Arts label but that deal also collapsed.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:21:29 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

For a group that couldn't buy a hit single after 15 Big Ones, I never understood the reason to not release Almost Summer, Crusin, and Country Pie as at least BB singles if not on an album.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »

If Almost Summer manage to hit 24 on the charts as an unknown new band Celebration with the beach boys it for sure would of went number one and a few other of those songs ay have very well  got in to the charts! add some more BB to it and Carls voice! man those songs would be gold!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »

I can't speak for whether Carl or anyone else liked the song, but they certainly played on it (sans Dennis), and enthusiastically, at the shows I saw.  I've never seen Carl turn his nose up at someone else's song; he's always been too much of a professional for that.  If it's in the set list, he was going to do the finest job he could on it.  And Country Pie had been a minor hit for King Harvest three years earlier, up there similarly with other 70s country/pop/rock gems like "Still the One."  The Aussie audience may have had trouble identifying with such a rural America vibe.  I can certainly attest that the audience I was with at the Springfield, IL state fair on 8/13/78 was into it big time; drowning out the band on the chorus like it was Help Me Rhonda.  I found the tape I made of the show a few months back.  Quite something to hear, and in my opinion, a missed opportunity for a single.

I should clarify that my “barf” characterization was not meant to refer to how Carl felt about the song (I agree, Carl has never seemed to fail to put an equal amount of effort into whatever song they were performing). I meant “barf” in the literal sense, as in he was under the influence of whatever it was, and looked and sounded like he was going to barf or pass out due to his physical condition. Indeed, he evidently did pass out at another concert on the tour.

I was just highlight the weird, dysfunctional nature of some BB shows around that time. Weird on-stage tension or arguments or inebriation, Mike sometimes being the embarrassing one on stage even though he was totally clean, Brian sometimes looking like he was thinking more about what he wanted for dinner than anything else, etc.

I agree with Jon Stebbins in his DW book; Al kinda held that Australia tour together by being the solid, professional performer on the tour.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:58:29 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »

Never cared for Almost Summer. Juts felt it was one of those dumb retro tracks that they, unfortunately, became quite adept at churning out. If it had been done in 1962 or 63, maybe, but not at that stage in he game.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:57:16 AM »

<<Never cared for Almost Summer. Juts felt it was one of those dumb retro tracks that they, unfortunately, became quite adept at churning out. If it had been done in 1962 or 63, maybe, but not at that stage in he game.>>

I don't think it's terribly easy to churn out a hit record.  Their own post 1966 career is a perfect example of that.  The song may have been simple in construction, though the melody line is classic Brian Wilson.  As for the admittedly vapid lyrics, have you seen the admittedly vapid film?  About as bad a teen exploitation film as you get (and I love 'em).  It's just a step above Crown International drive-in fare from that era like Pom Pom Girls, The Van, Van Nuys Blvd, etc. but without the T&A.  In film scoring, lyrics have to be tailored to the script, not the other way around.  It's quite an achievement, and was perfect for the spring/summer of 1978.  And had the track been the film version featuring Al and Brian - and released under the Beach Boys name, it would have been an even bigger hit that summer.  Nostalgia aside, this was precisely the sound record buyers wanted to hear from The Beach Boys in 1978.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 08:05:56 AM »

Fascinating... had not come across this before... Brian's demo for Almost Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EPgyiBaLVM

And here's the "Beach Boys" version of the title theme... with lyric references to Brian, Al, Dennis and Carl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYi1CXzcAI
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »

<<Never cared for Almost Summer. Juts felt it was one of those dumb retro tracks that they, unfortunately, became quite adept at churning out. If it had been done in 1962 or 63, maybe, but not at that stage in he game.>>

I don't think it's terribly easy to churn out a hit record.  Their own post 1966 career is a perfect example of that.  The song may have been simple in construction, though the melody line is classic Brian Wilson.  As for the admittedly vapid lyrics, have you seen the admittedly vapid film?  About as bad a teen exploitation film as you get (and I love 'em).  It's just a step above Crown International drive-in fare from that era like Pom Pom Girls, The Van, Van Nuys Blvd, etc. but without the T&A.  In film scoring, lyrics have to be tailored to the script, not the other way around.  It's quite an achievement, and was perfect for the spring/summer of 1978.  And had the track been the film version featuring Al and Brian - and released under the Beach Boys name, it would have been an even bigger hit that summer.  Nostalgia aside, this was precisely the sound record buyers wanted to hear from The Beach Boys in 1978.

IN 1978 they should have been beyond that, but after Holland, they weren't. Yeah, it was a hit, but it's awful. They were better than that.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »

<<IN 1978 they should have been beyond that, but after Holland, they weren't. Yeah, it was a hit, but it's awful. They were better than that.>>

I'd agree that the earlier, more progressive stuff was better... but singles like Almost Summer were exactly what record buyers wanted from the Beach Boys in the late 70s.  Fun in the sun.  Nostalgia.  I Get Around Again.  I can't begin to tell you how many times I'd play their new stuff to friends, fellow music buffs, program directors when I was getting into radio, etc.  I always got the same response... "It doesn't SOUND like the Beach Boys."  You can't fight that with Marcella or The Trader or Honkin' Down the Highway.

So I have to give kudos to Brian, Mike and Al for giving the public exactly what they wanted with Almost Summer.  And record buyers, radio and concertgoers embraced it that summer.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »

May I point out, mildly, that "Almost Summer" wasn't a Beach Boys release ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 01:52:19 PM »

Fascinating... had not come across this before... Brian's demo for Almost Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EPgyiBaLVM

And here's the "Beach Boys" version of the title theme... with lyric references to Brian, Al, Dennis and Carl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYi1CXzcAI

That's the movie version. Still by Celebration. Followed by a radically different version of "Sad, Sad Summer".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:01:29 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 02:23:57 PM »

May I point out, mildly, that "Almost Summer" wasn't a Beach Boys release ?

So bizarre that this was/is the case. The probable biggest chance "The BBs" had at a hit at that point in time, and they didn't use the brand name that would have made it a hit.

It's safe to say that the band probably would have *liked* to have released that tune as a "BB" tune, but it was the legal complication with it being on a soundtrack that forced them to release it not under the BB name, right?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »

Almost Summer Director, Marty Davidson, contacted the BB's to do the soundtrack - but the soundtrack rights/distribution what have you was with MCA, and the BB's exclusive CBS! contract didn't allow it.  However, individual members could be involved thus Celebration came into being.  According to per Ian and Jon's book, p234/235 (far left and far right hand side text respectively).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx