gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 07:40:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vega-Tables question...  (Read 1828 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »

On Smiley Smile, the last 20 or so seconds of Vega-Tables is from the original SMiLE sessions, right? We all know the part I'm referring to, I hope. Well during that section there is a cool keyboard part that is played and is pre-dominant in the mix. I cannot hear that part on any of the original SMiLE material. It is also excluded on the extended stereo version that appeared on Hawthorne. Was this part added during the SS sessions? Why was it removed from the Hawthorne version? It is a very cool part.
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »

Yeah I think it's on Smiley Smile. I can't remember clearly at the moment but I think it is.

... and of course, it's better than on BWPS.  Evil
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »

My guess is that there was no stereo mixes, only the mono version, so they didn't include it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

I believe the keyboard part was added to the mono mixdown directly, so doesn't exit on the multitracks used for the Hawthorne remix.  We have the multitrack tape out on boot (SOT) and there is no keyboard part.
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »

I believe the keyboard part was added to the mono mixdown directly, so doesn't exit on the multitracks used for the Hawthorne remix.  We have the multitrack tape out on boot (SOT) and there is no keyboard part.

I seem to recall a bootleg of the unedited mono mixdown tape - Brian's adding the keyboard while a female voice (Marilyn, presumably) dubs over a vocal. Brian keeps flubbing the keyboard, and we hear the track being rewound. As they had sel-sync long before this point in time, I presume you're right in that the keyboard was recorded directly to the mono mix while it was being mixed.
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »

Vegetables (Smiley Smile) > Vegetables (Smile sessions, BWPS)

You know it's the truth.  Evil
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx