gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681007 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 09:31:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10,000 Years  (Read 2611 times)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:21:06 AM »

Or 10,000 Years ago - or whatever...

Co-written by Mike and Dennis?  Initially pencilled in for 15 Big Ones?  Possibly fiddled with around the time of Bambu/LA because there's a music track from that era?  Mentioned again in connection to a possible Mike (or Mike and Al) album in 1980?  Recorded by Mike (again?) in the late 90s/early 2000s? 

What else do we know?

Honk! Honk!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:44:03 AM »

I just relistened to Mike's version included in the still-unreleased MLNW. It's not a favourite of mine in that collection. Cheesy production, to say the least. I think it's one of those Dennis songs that are not that special but would eventually shine brighter with overdubs and production touches. I quickly A-B'ed it to the Dennis backing track floating around. Dennis' is so bare bones that you can't say much. Maybe he gave up on that one early on the process. Maybe what we have is an early rough mix, but if there were more than that it would probably have been included as a bonus track in the recent package. Having to sing Mike's lyrics didn't bother him while recording POB, but maybe it did in 77-78.

Now the 50 million dollar question:
How did Mike remember this 25 years old composition when recording his CD? Did he have a mid 70s demo? Did he have to buy a Bamboo bootleg?  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mike had a hand in the music too - at an early stage, anyhow.  It didn't rile Dennis to put POB on POB. I guess we differ; I think it's one of the stronger songs on MLNW, though I'd like to have heard Mike's lead on I Don't Wanna Know - wish I had a clear copy of First Love!

I wonder if this is one of the tracks they were working up in the 74-76 era, along with POB, for the next BB album until it turned into therapy for Brian and became 15 Big Ones.

Honk! Honk!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »

though I'd like to have heard Mike's lead on I Don't Wanna Know - wish I had a clear copy of First Love!

The 70s version of IDWK wasn't sung by Mike either. It's such a great song. One of Mike's best imo.

BTW There was a 10,000years ago-discussion around the release of POB/Bambu. Try the search function, there's alot of info in it and it's thrilling to see which songs have a connection with 10,000 years ago.

EDIT:
There you go
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5547.0.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:56:50 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »

Wasn't there a version of I Don't Wanna Know cut for First Love?  I'm aware the one on the Celebration album hasn't got a ML lead.

sh*t.  And I started the discussion.  I'd forgotten about this!  Has Mike ever given an in-depth interview about this stuff or does he alays get hung up on the TM track?

Honk! Honk!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:48 AM »

I'm listening to the First Love version of "IDWK" and it's got a purty darn good Mike vocal.  Smiley

Nice bvs from cousin Carl, too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:05:23 AM »

Thought so.  Thanks, AGD.

Honk! Honk!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »

It'd be awesome if the remaining beach boys put together their recordings/collaborations with Dennis on a disk, we could get Brian to finish or redo Oh Lord, Mike with 10,000 Years, etc. etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »

It'd be awesome if the remaining beach boys put together their recordings/collaborations with Dennis on a disk, we could get Brian to finish or redo Oh Lord, Mike with 10,000 Years, etc. etc.

And Al with "Don't Fight The Sea", for which Dennis played drums in 1976 (provided they used that basic track in the final version). 

I used to think it would be cool if they finished "It's Not Too Late" as a Beach Boys song, since Carl and Dennis are both on there.  That was long before "Bambu" appeared in 2008, though.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »

Has Mike ever given an in-depth interview about this stuff or does he alays get hung up on the TM track?

I don't remember ever reading any interview where Mike speaks about that kind of stuff. Well, unfortunately every damn interviewer will ask the very same questions about longevity of the hits and the touring band and (at best) the demise of Smile. But would't some publication such as ESQ have tried to interview Mike about the genesis of Let the Wind Blow, Big Sur, 10.000 Years etc in the last 20 years? Who knows?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »

I'd love a recording of "California slide" which is a awesome song imo. But no Carl on it afaik

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 12:01:43 PM »

"But would't some publication such as ESQ have tried to interview Mike about the genesis of Let the Wind Blow, Big Sur, 10.000 Years etc in the last 20 years? Who knows?"

Great idea and a broad hint...

Honk! Honk!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »

Great idea, instead of the usual stuff about Kokomo.  I wonder if he's do it
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx