gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 04:08:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name the Album Covers that DO NOT NAME each band member.  (Read 2087 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »

COMMENT:  A discussion on another thread lead to this quary.

Name the albums that give NO credit to any band member. Only the band's name.

No names anywhere, inside or outside. Include imports, which should be several. Also include 45's with hard jackets.

Have any CD's? been issued with only "The Beach Boys" as the only credit?

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper

P.S.  Lesson for me.  I remember when some song came out (don't remember the song) early in my work with The Beach Boys. I told Carl I thought I should have gotten credit on the label. Carl said, "Let me show you something." He went to his library and pulled out a couple of LPs, handed them to me, and looking straight into my eyes said, "Where's my credit?" I looked at one album and then the other -- the only words on one read 'The Beach Boys' and the other only said 'Surf'n Hits.'

~swd
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:57:15 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »

Would that include lyric sheets, inner sleeves, inserts and the like... or just the actual cover ? If the latter, top of my head I can think of one.

No, make that two... maybe more. Four ?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:25:48 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »

Would that include lyric sheets, inner sleeves, inserts and the like... or just the actual cover ? If the latter, top of my head I can think of one.

No, make that two... maybe more. Four ?

COMMENT:  Inside and Outside. ~swd
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »

Off the top of my head, Surf's Up album cover features nobody's name. Wild Honey has photos of the members on the back sleeve but no mention of names. Smiley Smile back cover says Produced By The Beach Boys, but only their first names are mentioned next to which song they sing lead on (hence no mention of Al, Dennis or Bruce). If you have 20/20 with the gatefold you get people's names, but if you have the re-issue you don't. I'm sure there are others. Am I correct about these Stephen? I believe your name is in the gatefold for 20/20 and also listed on Sunflower.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:00:11 PM by Garneau Mike Woonsocket » Logged

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »

COMMENT: Name the albums that give NO credit to any band member. Only the band's name.

No names anywhere, inside or outside. Include imports, which should be several. Also include 45's with hard jackets.

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper

COMMENT:  COME ON PEOPLE !!!  (fans)

to name a few (suprisingly !!)

Pet Sounds --- Capitol Records DT 2458

Beach Boys --- Brother Records (Caribou) BFZ 39946

Little Deuce Coupe --- Capitol Records ST 1998

The Best of The Beach Boys --- Capitol Records DKAO 2945

L.A. Light Album (picture disk) Brother Records (CBS Inc.) CRB11-86081

None of the above has any credit other than  "the Beach Boys." 

Surprising to learn that even famous Beach Boy Albums give little credit to the group members. Pet Sounds gives credit to the photo studio, San Diago Zoo, RIAA, and someone in Japan who took the liner photos -- but who cares about the singers, only the producer is credited.   

Name other albums without group credit . . .

~swd

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »

Off the top of my head, Surf's Up album cover features nobody's name. Wild Honey has photos of the members on the back sleeve but no mention of names. Smiley Smile back cover says Produced By The Beach Boys, but only their first names are mentioned next to which song they sing lead on (hence no mention of Al, Dennis or Bruce). If you have 20/20 with the gatefold you get people's names, but if you have the re-issue you don't. I'm sure there are others. Am I correct about these Stephen? I believe your name is in the gatefold for 20/20 and also listed on Sunflower.

COMMENT:  BOTH INside and OUTside.  Surf's Up, Sunflower and 20/20 have credits for everyone. Re-issues may qualify for the "no credit list."
~swd
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

Wait, Pet Sounds has a "Produced by Brian Wilson" credit doesn't it, on the rear cover?   I don't have it to look at at the moment, but I could swear it does.   If I am incorrect, which I may be I guess, I'll be gobsmacked.   Undecided
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

Everyone knows their names are John, Paul, Ringo, George & Zeppo.

who needs it on a steekin album cover, mon?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »

COMMENT: Name the albums that give NO credit to any band member. Only the band's name.

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper

COMMENT:  COME ON PEOPLE !!!  (fans)

to name a few (suprisingly !!)

Pet Sounds --- Capitol Records DT 2458

Beach Boys --- Brother Records (Caribou) BFZ 39946

Little Deuce Coupe --- Capitol Records ST 1998

The Best of The Beach Boys --- Capitol Records DKAO 2945

L.A. Light Album (picture disk) Brother Records (CBS Inc.) CRB11-86081

None of the above has any credit other than  "the Beach Boys."  

Surprising to learn that even famous Beach Boy Albums give little credit to the group members. Pet Sounds gives credit to the photo studio, San Diago Zoo, RIAA, and someone in Japan who took the liner photos -- but who cares about the singers, only the producer is credited.    

Name other albums without group credit . . .

~swd

Your criteria is a bit odd, methinks.  
Pet Sounds definitely lists Produced by Brian Wilson
Little Deuce Coupe has "Arranged and Conducted by Bian Wilson"
Beach Boys --- Brother Records (Caribou) BFZ 39946   HAS EVERYONE listed on the inner sleeve;  
L.A. Light Album (picture disk) Brother Records (CBS Inc.) CRB11-86081  I think this is pulling hairs picking only the Pic disk( UK only) but still, carries the credit  Produced by Bruce Johnston

So using your criteria:  

Surfer Girl    Capitol (S) T -1981   "Special Thanks to Beach Boy Brian Wilson for producing"  
Shut Down Vol. 2    Capitol (S) T- 2027       Produced by Brian Wilson  
BBs Today   Capitol (D) T-2269     Produced By Brian Wilson    
Wild Honey   Capitol (S) T- 2859   mentions ONLY "Brian's kitchen"  heck, that could be ANYONE named Brian  

Best Of Vol. 2   Capitol (D) T-2706    no names at all  
Dance Dance Dance ( Early BBS Today reissue minus two songs)  Capitol  DF-703    nothing other than "The Beach Boys"  

If we really get into it I bet there are hundreds,  counting every country woirldwide.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:52:44 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »

Beach Boys --- Brother Records (Caribou) BFZ 39946   HAS EVERYONE listed on the inner sleeve;  
L.A. Light Album (picture disk) Brother Records (CBS Inc.) CRB11-86081  I think this is pulling hairs picking only the Pic disk( UK only) but still, carries the credit  Produced by Bruce Johnston

So using your criteria:  

Surfer Girl    Capitol (S) T -1981   "Special Thanks to Beach Boy Brian Wilson for producing"  
Wild Honey   Capitol (S) T- 2859   mentions ONLY "Brian's kitchen"  heck, that could be ANYONE named Brian  

Dance Dance Dance ( Early BBS Today reissue minus two songs)  Capitol  DF-703    nothing other than "The Beach Boys"  

If we really get into it I bet there are hundreds,  counting every country woirldwide.

COMMENT:  Production credit yes, but who are "the beach boys?" If you were Carl or Dennis, AL, Bruce, or Mike, wouldn't you want people to know that you were assocated with the record?  That's the spirit of the question.  Or put another way,

What albums list the names of The Beach Boys?  

~swd

P.S. Wild Honey credits two engineers, but no singers
Beach Boys --- Brother Records (Caribou) BFZ 39946 -- You got me there. My copy is still sealed, so couldn't see the inner sleeve.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:15:53 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »

So using your criteria:  

COMMENT:  Production credit yes, but who are "the beach boys?" If you were Carl or Dennis, AL, Bruce, or Mike, wouldn't you want people to know that you were assocated with the record?  That's the spirit of the question.  Or put another way,

What albums list the names of The Beach Boys?  

~swd

P.S. Wild Honey credits two engineers, but no singers
Beach Boys --- Brother Records (Caribou) BFZ 39946 -- You got me there. My copy is still sealed, so couldn't see the inner sleeve.

Summer Days and Summer Nights-The messages from each BB on the back cover. (Is it All Summer Long or Shut Down Vol. 2 that also has BB messages?)
Is each BB named on the Party gatefold? I think they get vocal credits.
Sunflower
Is Brian just mentioned, in relation to Dick Clark's notes on the Today! album?
On Wild Honey, much of the group is credited as songwriters, at least on the vinyl, especially since How She Boogalooed It was a joint effort by several BBs. Friends also has joint songwriting credits, at least on the vinyl.
Many BBs are mentioned as producers and songwriters on Carl and the Passions, and as songwriters on Holland. 15 Big Ones has a whole bunch of credits. The BBs are credited as musicians on Keepin' the Summer Alive.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:58:31 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

There are a ton of generic Best Ofs and Greatest Hits albums that don't mention the band members. Too many to list though. I'm thinking the Pickwick label especially.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »

Is it All Summer Long or Shut Down Vol. 2 that also has BB messages?

ASL.

SDII doesn't even have the track playing order, and no names other than "Denny's" Drums, Cassius "Love" and Sonny "Wilson". Whoever THEY are.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx