gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 06:01:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongal Contests: California Feelin' & Goin' to the Beach  (Read 25446 times)
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

Anyone see this yet?

http://tongal.com/project/CaliFeelin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:58:48 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »

Also:  http://tongal.com/project/Gointothebeach
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »

So everyone remembers what happened when they had the Smile Sessions contest on this site.... right?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »

Just sayin', anyone who's interested in submitting an entry should check out the Assets section for the projects!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »

This song rocks!!! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »

What a nice lazy out for marketing people. Get paid six figures, give some schmuck a few bucks and it's a "prize."

(cracks knuckles and enters anyway... ooo, mp3s...)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:10:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »

California Feelin'  Shocked

I've got the fucking chills. What a song! Never heard it sound like this.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »

Is there an mp3 available on the page? Where do I find it?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »

Under assets.

Seriously guys...California fucking Feelin'...My god. How was this not released until now? Could've been a huge hit.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »

Under assets.

Seriously guys...California fucking Feelin'...My god. How was this not released until now? Could've been a huge hit.

Found it. Just about to listen. Can't wait.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

What is up with Brian's vocal?!? When is it from?

It kinda reminds me of Adam Marsland's description, where Brian does that whole "like most days" thing.

I think this is actually the 1978 Brian vocal. And he really does sound like a logical progression from what Brian sounded like early in the '70. So weird. So incredible. It feels unreal that I got to hear this. This is the kinda thing I've dreamed about hearing for years.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:46:27 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »

Holy sh*t...that opening vocal is Brian, right? Is that opening from 1974 and the rest of the song from 1978? If so, then his voice sounds like it had already changed by that point, minus rasp. If it is from 1978, then he did a good job of sounding like he did in 1973-1974* for the most part. Crazy...Brian's falsetto part during part of it sounds like did in 1973-1974, so it's tricky to date.  His phrasing on 'most days' makes it sound like 1978, but the lack of rasp and his phrasing sounded like it did in 1973/1974.

* from what I've heard from isolated vocals tracks and boots.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:50:05 PM by She's only happy when her feet are dirty... » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »

Holy sh*t...that opening vocal is Brian, right? Is that opening from 1974 and the rest of the song from 1978? If so, then his voice sounds like it had already changed by that point, minus rasp. If it is from 1978, then he did a good job of sounding like he did in 1973 for the most part. Crazy...

I was confused at first but I'm pretty sure it's a 1978 vocal. That person who had the stream said this and the 1974 version had different vocals. Described Brian's 1974 as "really whacked out" to paraphrase.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »

Holy sh*t...that opening vocal is Brian, right? Is that opening from 1974 and the rest of the song from 1978? If so, then his voice sounds like it had already changed by that point, minus rasp. If it is from 1978, then he did a good job of sounding like he did in 1973 for the most part. Crazy...

I'm nearly positive it's 1978 Billy. Isn't it crazy? I wish we got more vocals out of Brian during this period! It is truly his halfway between voice. It seems like if he didn't go downhill after 1978 he coulda at least kept this voice, which honestly is quite different from the early voice, but still a logical progression. His phrasing is also awkward, just like Brian's phrasing has ended up over the years.

And the voice...there's been hints of this voice around before. Think of the end of "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". I'm pretty sure there's other things where this voice pops up too. It'll probably come to me at some point...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »

Here's RONDEMON's quote that shows it isn't a fly in:
There's a 1974 demo of Brian singing it (with weird vocal delivery and a gruff voice) but there's another with a younger sounding Brian singing the first verse then Carl coming in, then Bruce. It sounds amazing. Would've fit great on MIU!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

Those harmonies SHINE! Some of the best 70's harmonies by the band, for sure.

Sounds like it's BW at 1:47 as well. There must've been a guide vocal take by him on the multitrack that they pulled from. Pretty neat. Though I miss the constant drums a bit!

On another note, why does Carl's vocal sound a little flat? Something funky with the tape transfer I guess? Sounded fine on the boot version.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:00:04 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »

I was confused at first but I'm pretty sure it's a 1978 vocal. That person who had the stream said this and the 1974 version had different vocals. Described Brian's 1974 as "really whacked out" to paraphrase.
'm nearly positive it's 1978 Billy. Isn't it crazy? I wish we got more vocals out of Brian during this period! It is truly his halfway between voice. It seems like if he didn't go downhill after 1978 he coulda at least kept this voice, which honestly is quite different from the early voice, but still a logical progression. His phrasing is also awkward, just like Brian's phrasing has ended up over the years.

And the voice...there's been hints of this voice around before. Think of the end of "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". I'm pretty sure there's other things where this voice pops up too. It'll probably come to me at some point...

Oh, I'm almost certain it is from 1978, too. Just gets me that there is no rasp in his voice at all. As I stated in my edited post, his phrasing on 'most days' gives it away. I think my theory that Brian's voice from 1976-1978 was a bit of of a put-on is correct. And yeah, that's him around the 1:50 mark on falsetto.

As far as why Carl's voice is flat? That's generally how he sounded during that time period.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »

Sounds like it's BW at 1:47 as well. There must've been a guide vocal take by him on the multitrack that they pulled from. Pretty neat. Though I miss the constant drums a bit!

It's actually not a guide vocal. Apparently they tried to get Brian to do the lead for the song. Adam Marsland says he heard a version where Brian sang the whole thing. I remember him saying that he thought the vocal kinda sounded "disinterested". From what we heard here though, I'm satisfied.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »

Here's RONDEMON's quote that shows it isn't a fly in:
There's a 1974 demo of Brian singing it (with weird vocal delivery and a gruff voice) but there's another with a younger sounding Brian singing the first verse then Carl coming in, then Bruce. It sounds amazing. Would've fit great on MIU!

Odd how his 1974 vocal would be gruff and his 1978 vocal would be clear. Lends my theory more credence.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »

As far as why Carl's voice is flat? That's generally how he sounded during that time period.

No, there's definitely something up with the vocal speed. It's on the whole vocal, but as a quick example, compare "skies" at 0:57 from the new mix to "skies" at 1:02 on the boot mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5ocMQQ3d8

Right on pitch on the old version, pretty flat on the new version.

It's not a big deal, I'm actually not even sure how it would be possible. But, my ears picked it up upon listening, FWIW.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:19:51 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »

Cool Guy Soulful.  Afro  

Is that Disney...um Bruce soloing the California Feeling lines?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »

So everyone remembers what happened when they had the Smile Sessions contest on this site.... right?

haha I remember finding that, i crashed the site HAHA

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »

No, there's definitely something up with the vocal speed. It's on the whole vocal, but as a quick example, compare "skies" at 0:57 from the new mix to "skies" at 1:02 on the boot mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5ocMQQ3d8

Right on pitch on the old version, pretty flat on the new version.

It's not a big deal, I'm actually not even sure how it would be possible. But, my ears picked it up upon listening, FWIW.
The 'new' version is the correct speed. I'd been told previously that several booted  tracks from that time period have some 'issues'. Whether they are like that due to watermarking or for other reasons, I've never been given a straight answer.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »

Cool Guy Soulful.  Afro  

Is that Disney...um Bruce soloing the California Feeling lines?

Yep. It was him on the old bootlegged version too. Don't know if you heard it before.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »

Damn. This is a real treat, sounds great! This should hold me for a month!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx