gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680953 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 10:03:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breakdown And Comparison Of 7/20/2013 BAD & M&B Setlists  (Read 4662 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:16 AM »

Thought this might be fun to pick apart and discuss. Simply gathered from the kind posters who shared this info here and elsewhere. Feel free to correct anything, as I separated these pretty quickly. Also, for stuff like Our Prayer and Ol' Man River, I listed both as *separate* tracks. Doesn't really matter in the big picture of this topic, but...

BAD & M&B - 7/20/2013 Setlists:

Common Songs:

California Girls
Catch A Wave
Dance Dance Dance
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby
Then I Kissed Her
Do You Wanna Dance
I Get Around
Do It Again
Summertime Blues
Darlin'
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

Unique Songs - BAD:

Girl Don't Tell Me
In My Room
Please Let Me Wonder
Ol' Man River
Cottonfields
Little Bird
Our Prayer
Heroes & Villains
Breakaway
Marcella
Your Imagination
Let Him Run Wild
Goin Home
That's Why God Made The Radio
California Saga
Sail On Sailor
Pet Sounds
All Summer Long
Summer's Gone

Unique Songs - M&B:

Little Honda
It's OK
Summer Means Fun
Hawaii
Surf City
Surfin' Safari
Getcha Back
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Good To My Baby
Be True To Your School
The Ballad Of Ole Betsy
Still Cruisin'
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
California Dreamin'
Cool Head, Warm Heart
Disney Girls
Kokomo
Rock And Roll Music
Wild Honey
Goin' To The Beach

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:04:13 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:01:28 AM »

Also, as an FYI, 61 songs total, common or unique, between the two touring groups. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:06:00 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »

Sail On Sailor seems to be missing -- did Mike and Bruce do it, or just Brian/Al/David?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »

Sail On Sailor seems to be missing -- did Mike and Bruce do it, or just Brian/Al/David?

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Hi Jon,

It's there under the BAD unique songs. Only they did it.  Smiley
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 02:58:58 AM »

Also, as a somewhat interesting tidbit and if my math is correct, there were 61 unique songs, total, to the C50 Tour. All of which where played at the big band's second to last stop, The Royal Albert Hall. The same number of songs, either common or unique, between last night's two "competing" setlists.

Funny how life often works out!

C50 Songs Absent From Either Touring Group's 7/20/2013 Setlist:

Don't Back Down
The Little Girl I Once Knew
This Whole World
Wendy
You're So Good To Me
Kiss Me Baby
Isn't It Time
Come Go With Me
Add Some Music To Your Day
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
All This Is That
Forever  

BAD Songs From 7/20/2013 Not On C50 Tour:

Girl Don't Tell Me
Ol' Man River
Little Bird
Breakaway
Your Imagination
Goin' Home

M&B Songs From 7/20/2013 Not On C50 Tour:

Summer Means Fun
Surf City
Good To My Baby
Cool Head, Warm Heart
Wild Honey
Goin' To The Beach
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »

Very interesting way of looking at things...to me, this just proves why one show isn't really any better than the other. In my opinion, for a complete beach boys concert you need songs like Heroes and Villains & In My Room.....but you also need the car songs and little surf songs that Mike and Bruce offer.

Oddly enough, most of the songs that are absent from both band's setlist from C50...were most of my favorites!!! LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »

A world without Love.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MBE
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »

Good thread. Thought has been taken with both sets and that's all that matters to me.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »

Good thread. Thought has been taken with both sets and that's all that matters to me.
Indeed! Also, a good argument for going to see both bands.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

Both group's 'unique song' lists have several numbers I don't care for at all, but , surprisingly, I think  I would give the edge to Mike's merry band of surfer dudes.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

A world without Love.... Grin

Per Al Jardine...The Heart of the Beach Boys, is best!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »

Both group's 'unique song' lists have several numbers I don't care for at all, but , surprisingly, I think  I would give the edge to Mike's merry band of surfer dudes.
Last night's BAD show set list was pretty damn awesome. All that was missing was a few car tunes. I probably would have fainted had they broke into No-Go Showboat or Custom Machine.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:14:03 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »

Both group's 'unique song' lists have several numbers I don't care for at all, but , surprisingly, I think  I would give the edge to Mike's merry band of surfer dudes.
Last night's BAD show set list was pretty damn awesome. All that was missing was a few car tunes. I probably would have fainted had they broke into No-Go Showboat or Custom Machine.

Who wrote "Summer Means Fun" I thought it was a J&D tune.

If Mike can do that - BAD could pull off Little Old Lady From Pasadena, right?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »

Most of those M&B exclusives tend to be the ones deleted from playlists so I don't have to skip them, but I need a blast of "Little Honda" and "Good to My Baby."

Also, Darian's gotta swap "Darlin'" for "Wild Honey" now and again. Like when I go see them, thanks.

Mr. Mertens, the only way you can comprehensively secure set list dominance is to start soundcheck rehearsing "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone." Marks guitar, Brian's growl, Al Jardine blowing an amp. Again.

You wanna show 'em who's got the guts, who's the heart and soul? Drop "Radio" from the set, it's always a train wreck live -- do the suite medley instead. As the encore, people are expecting Barbara Ann? Screw that. Come back with this encore:

"Think About the Days"  (Al, David, and Curly Joe Foskett around the "piano" - there's your facebook photos sorted)
"From There to Back Again"      
"Pacific Coast Highway"      
"Summer's Gone"  

There's your ending, making full use of the Man in the White Suit, leaving the audience with HOLY sh*t I CAN'T BELIEVE WE SAW THAT LIVE. Rather than, "yeah he plucked root notes on the bass." Brian doesn't have to stand up. WIN/WIN.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:30:38 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »

Who wrote "Summer Means Fun" I thought it was a J&D tune.

If Mike can do that - BAD could pull off Little Old Lady From Pasadena, right?
I am not sure if they had the hit with it or not, but Bruce & Terry released it as a single. I have it on a Surf compilation album.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJJsvLYEcEg
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:30:44 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »

So M&B dropped "Isn't It Time" from their set? They did it this month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaGmEdgo_FI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWTHTaL6bc

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

Shouldn't M&B get docked 10% of their gross proceeds whenever they play any place where a Ferris wheel is in plain view and "Amusement Parks USA" is NOT in the set list???  Wink

Seriously--great work, Dave; exactly the type of data we need. Are you able to provide the song orders for each of those set lists? That would be kind of interesting to look at as well.

Am 1000% percent behind your suggestions, Ontor! Sure wish we had the live "Mess of Help" on MIC.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »

The Hyde Park performance is decent enough but without Brian (and his big backing band) is just doesn't sound like a Beach Boys song anymore. Maybe it's also Totten's delivery/style of singing it (which is good in itself but again doesn't make the tune sound like the Beach Boys). I love his "Betsy", though.
Nicko1234
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »

It would be interesting to compare the setlists Mike and Bruce have done for the whole of 2013 with the shows that BAD do.

M&B have also played In My Room, Sail on Sailor, Cottonfields, All Summer Long (?) of the songs that BAD have performed.

They have played Okie From Muskogee, Bluebirds Over the Mountain, Isn`t it Time, Wendy, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, Good Timin` etc. that BAD haven`t played.

There are doubtless several I have missed out.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »

The Hyde Park performance is decent enough but without Brian (and his big backing band) is just doesn't sound like a Beach Boys song anymore. Maybe it's also Totten's delivery/style of singing it (which is good in itself but again doesn't make the tune sound like the Beach Boys). I love his "Betsy", though.

I liked Scott's voice on it, but the whole production sounded too bare...and Mike was hitting wrong notes. They did a new arrangement and I didn't think it was so hot. Maybe they didn't either and dropped it! There wasn't any ukulele either! I too love his take on 'betsy'...a favorite of mine in the live show!

I think they last played "Isn't it time" in Paris on July 8th. I wouldn't be surprised if they never touch it again.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »

So, basically:  if you like 1966-73 Beach Boys (15 songs), or Brian's new material from 1998 onwards (4-6 songs, including two from "Radio", depending on how you count the finished Smile songs), Brian Al & David are the show for you, but if you like the late '70s or '80s you're out of luck.  If you prefer 1961-65 Beach Boys (an extra 11 songs on top of the common ones), or 1976-1989 Beach Boys (a surprising 6-7 songs including an outtake), you want Mike & Bruce -- but 1967-73 is a vast gaping empty space, and everything after "Still Cruisin'" consists of "Cool Head Warm Heart".

Still, the big surprise is how many rarities they're both playing -- "Summer Means Fun" and "Goin' To The Beach"?  *boggle*

Cheers,
Jon Blum
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »

I wouldn't call 67-73 a gaping empty space with M&B...don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE more songs from this period but they did play Good Vibrations, Wild Honey!!!, Darlin, Do it Again, and Disney Girls.

And while they didn't play these last night, I know they've played Heroes and Villains, I Can Hear Music, Forever, Till I Die!!! in the past...maybe others I'm unaware of.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »

Seriously--great work, Dave; exactly the type of data we need. Are you able to provide the song orders for each of those set lists? That would be kind of interesting to look at as well.

Thanks, Don. I was up late last night when the setlists starting coming in, so I just thought it was the perfect date on the "BB's" calendar (and all things considered...situation) to do a head-to-head between the two tours, as we're always debating "who plays what"..."who plays more rarities and deep cuts"..." "who has the 'better' setlist"...etc, etc.

Obviously, this is also a unique time in Beach Boys history, so it was fun to compare everything to the C50 tracks. At the very least, we can glance at this if we need a quick present-day reference. Though, it will also be interesting to see what changes occur to the setlists as both tours progress.

As far as the track order goes, I wasn't at either show -- I simply distilled the info that our kind posters provided (tinnitus has halted my concert-going these days, though I did make a well-prepared exception for the big tour last year). If someone wants to do an exact order for everything, I'd be happy to modify the above text. Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »

Seems like Hawaii and Little Deuce Coupe were added to the setlist and Breakaway dropped for the second show. Making the setlist closer to M&B`s.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:36:28 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 12:48:22 AM »

I wouldn't call 67-73 a gaping empty space with M&B...don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE more songs from this period but they did play Good Vibrations, Wild Honey!!!, Darlin, Do it Again, and Disney Girls.

And while they didn't play these last night, I know they've played Heroes and Villains, I Can Hear Music, Forever, Till I Die!!! in the past...maybe others I'm unaware of.
In The past from the era in question, Mike & Bruce also played bluebirds over the mountain, all this is that, sail on sailor, cotton fields, feel flows (sung by Christian), okie from muskogee. This is in addition to the other songs you mentioned.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx