gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681047 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 09:22:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did the BBs stop wearing the candy stripped shirts?  (Read 20146 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 04:29:37 AM »

Looks white enough to me:

Ivory is, of course, a common shade of white (or "off-white"); hence the keys of a piano are often referred to as white. Eggshell and cream are also shades of white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_%28color%29

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 05:51:33 AM »

Embarrassingly enough, back in the day, the white outfits were labeled "ice cream suits" by the hipster establishment.

IIRC, the "ice cream suits" were a set of brightly colored and/or pastel suits that they wore for the Eye magazine shoot -- not the white suits.

BTW, I'm correcting the spelling in the subject line, because "stripped shirts" = shirtless. Not that that's a bad thing when it comes to Denny.  Grin
(Quote)

Emdeeh - I saw them in those white suits and IMHO  they looked mighty fine.  I have an old picture of one of them in black and white so it is difficult to discern which "hue"  of white it is.   I bought my copy of EYE when it hit the stands at the Out of Town Ticket kiosk in Harvard Square.  

A woman's perspective on how they looked might be different from a guy's, and the fashion "rear-view" mirror can be unkind.   They were stylin' as far as I was concerned.  It was cool to see what they would wear by 1971 when they did Symphony Hall, in Boston, when I was a college freshman. They each had some "look" that "emerged" which I thought was even better.  

There is a picture of Dennis in the Program book, (Friends tour?) which defies any notion of his looking un cool in that white suit.  He was walking barefoot on a beach with the jacket on and the wind blowing throug his gorgeous locks.  It would be crazy to expect him to play with the suit jacket on because the job is so "physical" and sweaty by nature.  Hunky-dunky Dennis!  Cool

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:42:14 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 06:16:34 AM »

Yeah, but Dennis would have looked good in... well, pretty much anything.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »

Looks white enough to me:

Ivory is, of course, a common shade of white (or "off-white"); hence the keys of a piano are often referred to as white. Eggshell and cream are also shades of white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_%28color%29

I've seen yellow-ish vanilla ice cream.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »

Definitely- there's even white chocolate.  And I guess there's Vanilla Fudge. Found some yellow-tinted vanilla on the image search here and there, I think maybe the yellow is added sometimes to indicate some kind of additional custard flavoring. But generally vanilla ice cream is off-white.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »

I think they usually call the yellowish vanilla "New York Vanilla." The whiter stuff is either French vanilla or just unnamed, plain ol' vanilla.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »

If whatever makes it yellowish sometimes has something to do with New York, don't anybody tell me what it is.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2009, 03:51:37 AM »

In reference to the earlier question about Mike wearing his Maharishi robes-he did wear them in the states-I looked thru pics (from newspaper reviews I have) and he wore them at Tampa in April 1969-probably that entire tour.  so they weren't just for Europe
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »

In reference to the earlier question about Mike wearing his Maharishi robes-he did wear them in the states-I looked thru pics (from newspaper reviews I have) and he wore them at Tampa in April 1969-probably that entire tour.  so they weren't just for Europe

Thanks for that Ian, much appreciated.  Smiley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »

Just to continue the thread...Does anybody think that the white suits were anymore "hip?"  Personally I think that the white suits was a poor idea in 1968-they looked much cooler in their street clothes and no other (non motown) acts were wearing matching suits in 1968.  Certainly looked "square" when compared with the big acts of that time-Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Doors, the Byrds, Rolling Stones, Buffalo Springfield, Kinks, etc, etc. I think the white suits gave them a kind of Osmonds, safe, kind of look.
Embarrassingly enough, back in the day, the white outfits were labeled "ice cream suits" by the hipster establishment. Couldn't agree more-not even Dennis could make em look acceptable in person. Shocked

Just saw Knebworth (1980) and Farm Aid (1985)  and respectively, Al Jardine had the white suit on (probably to stay warm) and the striped shirt (blue and white) ...just Al...there was also a period where they seemed to have some white short sleeve shirt and neckerchief which seemed subsequent to the white suit jacket...must have been so hot under those lights to play with a blazer on... Wink
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »

I stand corrected. It was 1974. Dennis' hand had healed and was on drums. My buddy Butch took pictures and lost the roll of film! Embarrassed Embarrassed
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »

Just to continue the thread...Does anybody think that the white suits were anymore "hip?"  Personally I think that the white suits was a poor idea in 1968-they looked much cooler in their street clothes and no other (non motown) acts were wearing matching suits in 1968.  Certainly looked "square" when compared with the big acts of that time-Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Doors, the Byrds, Rolling Stones, Buffalo Springfield, Kinks, etc, etc. I think the white suits gave them a kind of Osmonds, safe, kind of look.
Embarrassingly enough, back in the day, the white outfits were labeled "ice cream suits" by the hipster establishment. Couldn't agree more-not even Dennis could make em look acceptable in person. Shocked

Just saw Knebworth (1980) and Farm Aid (1985)  and respectively, Al Jardine had the white suit on (probably to stay warm) and the striped shirt (blue and white) ...just Al...there was also a period where they seemed to have some white short sleeve shirt and neckerchief which seemed subsequent to the white suit jacket...must have been so hot under those lights to play with a blazer on... Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nevw80yB_Sk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JeffO
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2014, 04:12:28 AM »

The "bad news" for this guy is that he could be a year older than he thought...the Beach Boys show, is part of the MIT Alumi pages for that year...he could have been an underclassman...

This has been an interesting thread... Cool  Thanks!

I know exactly how old I am  Wink 2, and since I was on the Spring Weekend Committee that mounted the truncated Crane Beach concert and attended it, I know when it was held and have a few memories of the day, some more distinct than others, but, alas, no pics.  Some anecdotes are second-hand, but I was in the room at the Sheraton Boston early Sunday morning when the Beach Boys offered their makeup concert for the following Friday, saw Dennis shirtless  Smiley, and attended the Friday afternoon makeup concert and heard Mike's "Thank you".

I've read around here only a bit, and wil note that I've long been a fan of the Beach Boys, but know zero about them compared to what I've seen from some of the posts I've read.

I'll write, but a couple of requests...

Ian, you wrote you "contributed most of the concert info at AGD's site".  Could you - or anybody - please direct me to that site so if there's info there on the two MIT concerts I won't be just duplicating what's there?

Will someone please give me some guidelines on the tolerance for OT on this board?  I have a couple of funnies not directly Beach Boys related but related to the whole day at Crane Beach, like of Newhart's set, and, since I was a long-ago Thurber fan, what I've always remembered as "The Night the Tent Fell", but I'll certainly omit them if I'm transgressing board conventions.

Should I write here, or start a new "Beach Boys at MIT" thread?

The Beach Boys playing on the beach!  What could be better?   Cool
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2014, 06:36:02 AM »

COMMENT:

The Beach Boys stopped wearing striped shirts in 1967.

SELECTION FROM AN ARTICLE ENTITLED: "Waves of Nostalgia

The Beach Boys' Mike Love remembers the band's early years.

May 12, 2000|BILL LOCEY | SPECIAL TO THE LOS ANGELES TIMES

The Wilsons are gone now--Carl and Dennis have died and Brian is living in the Midwest--but front man Mike Love carries on the legacy, and he still has a few stories to tell.

How did the band end up in those striped shirts?

We weren't very creative. In the photos on our first album we were actually wearing Pendletons with white T-shirts underneath and white jeans. Then we just stole the striped shirt idea from the Kingston Trio. They were wearing those same shirts, doing their folk music--that's where we got "Sloop John B"--we just picked up their laundry one day."

SELECTION FROM "THE BEACH BOYD FAQ

Striped Shirts

The end of The Beach Boys' striped-shirt phase didn't come until late 1967, over two years too late. The Beatles were still wearing matching suits in August 1966. The Rolling Stones ditched matching stage outfits back in 1963. But the Beach Boys continued to wear those candy-striped referee shirts that might have looked cool in 1964, but looked completely ridiculous in the context of 1967. They switched to matching ice-cream-white suites in late 1967, which weren't much better. They finally went to non-matching gear sometime in 1969. But the Beach Boys stood out because those striped shirts had become so iconic. To see them still wearing candy strips so many years later would have been equal to seeing the Beatles wearing collarless jackets in 1967. That would have been ridiculous; and in the case of the Beach Boys, it was."

Beach Boy management was able to keep their iconic signature look of stripped shirts unique to the group for some time by putting legal pressure on clothing distributors to not sell the strips. Even today it is extremely difficult to find any shirt that is a match for The Beach Boy classic look.

~SWD

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2014, 07:28:20 AM »

It's always gonna be a problem when boys...big boys, and young men allow their parents to dress them...in this case Murry.  They looked pretty darned hip on the cover of Pet Sounds.  Turn the album over...and there they are in those danged striped shirts again.  The white suits?  Yikes!!!  I guess having the parental units [Murry again with the stripes and thoses pants which didn't do Carl any favours at all] choose your clothes it kinda makes it impossible to do well when it becomes your turn to select the wardrobe.  Horrid 'training'.

Mind you...the Hawaiian shirts for decades ain't workin' either.  And Bruce in shorts?  Really?  But at this particular juncture in the festivities...I suppose uncool is cool.  I personally don't give a tinker's damn what anyone else wears when it comes to what I'm gonna throw on.  Mine is the only drumbeat which matters. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »

The "bad news" for this guy is that he could be a year older than he thought...the Beach Boys show, is part of the MIT Alumi pages for that year...he could have been an underclassman...

This has been an interesting thread... Cool  Thanks!
I know exactly how old I am  Wink 2, and since I was on the Spring Weekend Committee that mounted the truncated Crane Beach concert and attended it, I know when it was held and have a few memories of the day, some more distinct than others, but, alas, no pics.  Some anecdotes are second-hand, but I was in the room at the Sheraton Boston early Sunday morning when the Beach Boys offered their makeup concert for the following Friday, saw Dennis shirtless  Smiley, and attended the Friday afternoon makeup concert and heard Mike's "Thank you".

I've read around here only a bit, and wil note that I've long been a fan of the Beach Boys, but know zero about them compared to what I've seen from some of the posts I've read.

Ian, you wrote you "contributed most of the concert info at AGD's site".  Could you - or anybody - please direct me to that site so if there's info there on the two MIT concerts I won't be just duplicating what's there?

Will someone please give me some guidelines on the tolerance for OT on this board?  I have a couple of funnies not directly Beach Boys related but related to the whole day at Crane Beach, like of Newhart's set, and, since I was a long-ago Thurber fan, what I've always remembered as "The Night the Tent Fell", but I'll certainly omit them if I'm transgressing board conventions.

Welcome JeffO! A Smiley brew in order for you!  Beer

How cool to have been on the welcome committee at MIT!

Shirtless Dennis!  LOL

Someplace online there is a Boston Herald photo of most of the band, from April, 1967. It was very newsworthy since Carl had just been released after having been arrested in connection with draft evasion.  They had the striped shirts on.  I ran across some ancient poor quality photo from that show. Striped shirts.  

Then in November of 1967, they were in the white suits, that Al Jardine still can rock! As you remember, most of the bands wore identical suits until mid 1960's...maybe to look sharp on the Ed Sullivan Show!  LOL
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:05:10 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »

Shirtless Dennis!  LOL

Amen sister, amen!  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »

This has been an interesting thread... Cool  Thanks!

I vote for a new thread! Thumbs Up
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »

So I now have three questions:

1.  When did the Kingston Trio first start wearing striped shirts, and when did they abandon the look?

2.  Who made the striped shirts for the Kingston Trio and the BBs?  Did they get them from the same shirt company?

3.  Are there any known comments by members of the Kingston Trio about the BBs copping their look?

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »

So I now have three questions:  [My answers come exclusively from their [KT] Wilkipedia discography...and from using mainly just the album titles and specific info from THAT page.  Their early—and primary—output was virtually all recorded on Capitol Records.  Hmmmmmm.  Sounds familiar.]

1.  When did the Kingston Trio first start wearing striped shirts, and when did they abandon the look?  [25 Years Non-Stop.  The Last Month of the Year.]

2.  Who made the striped shirts for the Kingston Trio and the BBs?  Did they get them from the same shirt company?  [Sunny Side and Looking For The Sunshine.  Sold Out]

3.  Are there any known comments by members of the Kingston Trio about the BBs copping their look?  [Let's look at some of the other striking similarities...They both recorded Sloop John B.  Capitol Records also released vinyl albums of The Best of the Kingston Trio, Vols I, II, and III and a number of CD compilations and re-issues in the 1980s and 1990s.  There was also the Lost Masters and The First 50 Years, The Kingston Trio and Friends Reunion and The Kingston Trio: Fifty Years Of Having Fun.  There was, in addition, The Lost 1967 album.  Maybe the Kingston Trio and the Beach Boys are actually the same group?  Thus rendering this question moot?  ]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »

I will say, from personal experience,  that pin stripe shirts were ubiquitous in the early through mid sixties for US teens and young adults.  You could walk into a classroom anywhere in the country and see half a dozen guys, and girls too, wearing these types of shirts.  I don't think any of us dressed like the Beatles or for that matter, the Young Rascals.
I will also say, that the Beatles defineitely DID influence hairstyles almost immediately after they first appeared.
Remember Beachboys in longish hair, The Long Princeton swept across the forehead, wearing the striped shirts?  The BeachBoys seemed to follow fashion trends;  Pendeltons, Stripes, Suits, Hippie Attire, Disco Attire , Hawian Prints, and more recently, middle aged guy casual.

I liked the stripes. Would be cool to see them worn again by the band.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »

"Would be cool to see them worn again by the band."

No it wouldn't. Grin  Although it could work if they did like an oldies style opening set wearing that 'stuff' and then changed into something decent for the next phase of the show.  But just wearing loungin' around clothes from the rec room out onto the performing stage is pretty lame to me.  Dress like the occaision is of some importance and a cut above sittin' around watching TV.  It is, after all, show business.  Oh...and NO baseball-style hats.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »

No ball caps?HuhHuh?   Wouldn't be the Beachboys without Mike in a cap!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

"Would be cool to see them worn again by the band."

No it wouldn't. Grin  Although it could work if they did like an oldies style opening set wearing that 'stuff' and then changed into something decent for the next phase of the show.  But just wearing loungin' around clothes from the rec room out onto the performing stage is pretty lame to me.  Dress like the occaision is of some importance and a cut above sittin' around watching TV.  It is, after all, show business.  Oh...and NO baseball-style hats.

Since when are the Striped shirts not decent?  And Why would anyone think they're simply loungin around clothes?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »

The striped shirts are decent.  I think you might have misread what I was saying...or perhaps I wasn't clear....Phase 2 of the show...after the oldies and striped shirts are accounted for...don't just wander back out for part 2 in another Hawaiian shirt or something that looks like it's been worn all day long.  It's a 'show'.  So put one on.

Mike's worn some interesting head wear along the way.  Mere baseball caps are...well...not very 'show-bizzy'.  Remember Mike's garb during the 15 Big Ones Tour?  THAT was show biz.  The big ol' boat was pretty cool too.  Of course that was back in and around when the group was considered one of the TOP touring units in the industry.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx