gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680910 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 06:25:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You've Lost 'You've Lost That Loving Feelin's's Loving Feelin'  (Read 30735 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »

The Lucky Old Sun demos are rather reverb-y though   Undecided (Scott produced those right?) Don't wanna take this too far off topic, and I've said it before, but I think the defining strength of the Midnight's Another Day demo version is the deeper and richer reverb, on the vocal in particular.

I'll also add that I don't listen to many boots, so am blissfully unaware of the Loving Feelin' boot mix...might seek it out for curiosity reasons at some point though, once I've got to know the MIC version.  Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »

Here you go, Sam.  Off of Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeMhUNd439s&list=PLZTIUg7PuwVCmXaHS3m2Q4TL7TyzXbID7

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »

Thanks Mikie. I definitely like the MiC version better... Perhaps it's a case of first impressions being lasting impressions?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »

I like 'em both. But if you're use to hearing the bootleg version all these years, then that's your reference. The MIC version doesn't sound like the booted version, but it's a matter of preference. I'm with whoever said that Brian was evidently satisfied with his '76 version and left it alone afterwords. So to me that's the definitive version. Why mess with it?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

To me the boot version sounds unmixed and lacking something (dimension? completeness? Not sure.) Where the discrepancy comes, I think, maybe in expectations. I really don't think MiC is intended to be an academic release (ala discs 2-5 of TSS). But what do I know? (nothing). I do like the nakedness of Brian's vocals on the boot version, but the MiC version (for me) opens it up wonderfully into a whole new dimension.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »

That sounds like it's been slowed down in comparison to either the MiC version or the other boots I've heard.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »

Yeah, you're right. I have the song on another boot and it's a little faster.

Like I say, I like both versions, but the MIC version lacks that powerful oomph when the chorus comes in. It's just missing something.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »

Yeah, you're right. I have the song on another boot and it's a little faster.

Like I say, I like both versions, but the MIC version lacks that powerful oomph when the chorus comes in. It's just missing something.
one thing I noticed is that the synth bass on the MIC version lacks bite and sounds rather tinny in comparison.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »

I too went back to listen to the stereo PLMW. Didn't hear anything that off about it. Odd.

I have listened to Please Let Me Wonder about five times in a row and I can't hear any excessive reverb at all. The track is untouched...

The stereo 'Please Let Me Wonder' sounds fine to me ... much prefer the original mono of course.

Listen to the sound of the drums on the remix compared to the mono mix.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:18:06 PM by Chris Moise » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

I too went back to listen to the stereo PLMW. Didn't hear anything that off about it. Odd.

I have listened to Please Let Me Wonder about five times in a row and I can't hear any excessive reverb at all. The track is untouched...

The stereo 'Please Let Me Wonder' sounds fine to me ... much prefer the original mono of course.

Listen to the sound of the drums on the remix compared to the mono mix.

I think we're hearing lots of different things. I prefer the mono mix, but I don't think there is excessive reverb on the stereo. The original mix is dark and passed through multiple generations of tape and console. There's lots of masking and other things going on, and the sound is very different ... but it's not a reverb level issue in my opinion. Possibly the EQ of the reverb and/or the type of reverb used is different.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:10:24 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »

Ooh, no, no, no. This has been slowed right down. Someone please upload the version from Rockin' Rarities (I would if I knew how). The bootleg version that's played at the right speed is where it's at - seek it out people. Last time I looked Rockin' Rarities was on Ebay UK for £10.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »

Wadn't the Misfits a movie with Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable?  

Yep. Last film ever for both of them. Montgomery Clift was near the end of the line as well.

I've always found it sadly ironic that four of the five main actors from that movie (Monroe, Clift, Gable, Thelma Ritter) died relatively young while the last remaining is Eli Wallach who is still alive at 97.  He even still appears in movies sometimes.  Good for him though.

Okay sorry, back on topic.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:38:56 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

Ooh, no, no, no. This has been slowed right down. Someone please upload the version from Rockin' Rarities (I would if I knew how). The bootleg version that's played at the right speed is where it's at - seek it out people. Last time I looked Rockin' Rarities was on Ebay UK for £10.

Here you go. Knock yourself out finding a better version on these boots:

Rockin' Rarities
BB Demos & Outtakes
Brian Wilson Sessions Vol. 3
From The Vaults
Landlocked/Adult Child
California Feeling
Adult Child
New Album

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »

There's also my version that's been floating around... Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2013, 01:17:03 AM »

There's also my version that's been floating around... Wink

Where can we hear your version? Would sure like too.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2013, 01:23:09 AM »

I'm gonna be perfectly honest and say that A: that's my video and B: I slowed it down thinking the tape transfer was too fast. I even sorted out the different speed at the beginning. MIC tells me I was wrong on both these points!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2013, 04:23:44 AM »

I'm gonna be perfectly honest and say that A: that's my video and B: I slowed it down thinking the tape transfer was too fast. I even sorted out the different speed at the beginning. MIC tells me I was wrong on both these points!

Can't ya upload it onto YouTube without slowing it down to help spread the gospel of the bootleg version?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2013, 06:12:41 AM »

Can't ya upload it onto YouTube without slowing it down to help spread the gospel of the bootleg version?

Gimme a sec

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4h9hIJkgrQ&feature=youtu.be

Aaaaaaaaand there's the route of the problem. Got taken down. Happy days.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:44:49 AM by Freddie French-Pounce » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »

I'm a bit late to this discussion but...The overdone reverb on some songs (YLTLF, Wild Honey Live and It's A Beautiful Day) were a bit of a let down.  These should be definitive versions but instead I'm now thinking we need reverb-free mixes (which I'll go out and buy!) of these things and other stuff.  Having heard the boots has probably clouded my judgement but I think if someone is going to remix it should be the 'best' version.  Off course 'best' depends on the listener!  Overall, I love the boxset but it's still not being critical of Mark and Alan by disagreeing with their choices.  I like the edits of things like "She Says That She Needs Me", and love hearing stereo versions of previously mono only tracks.  As far as I'm aware Mark and Alan get paid for their work.  It's nice to be grateful to them for their hard work but some posters are making out they are doing it for free (if they are I apologize!).  So we can comment on their choices without getting personal, and I'm sure they have also said what a great job they have.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »

The overdone reverb on some songs (YLTLF, Wild Honey Live and It's A Beautiful Day) were a bit of a let down.  These should be definitive versions but instead I'm now thinking we need reverb-free mixes (which I'll go out and buy!) of these things and other stuff. 

This is very true and I share your sentiment 100%. Why Linett chose to add reverb to those tracks is beyond me. Even after hearing the boots to some of these tracks, it didn't really cloud my judgement - the reverb just sounded so out of place. Especially like "Wild Honey" where it sounds like Blondie is singing into the Carlsbad Caverns. The live Rhonda sounded great - thankfully he didn't dick with that one!

We need a live box of early 70's stuff with NO REVERB added.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

Just wanted to say that despite the liberties taken, it's great that this song was released. What a cool performance by Brian. I'd love to know more about the circumstances that led to its creation. The same goes for Sherry. They may be ragged but they're magic.

Watch out for snakes!
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »

Face the facts, fellows: Recorded music is unnatural by its very definition.

Everything is an effect. Recording itself. Multitracking. Echo. EQ. Some of this is done in an analog domain, and some of its is done digitally. Sometimes the digital stuff sounds different. But it's all down to personal preference -- why do we accept that Brian stopped using real bass players in the 70s and replaced them with Moog keys? It's artificial. It clearly doesn't sound like a real bass. But enough time has passed that we can accept it as what it is -- simply a different sound.

Mark L. isn't replacing any mix that has ever been done. He's simply offering new perspectives, using new technology, approved by the surviving members of the band. The kind of analog bias paraded here has far more to do with snobbery than it does with anything musical.

I think it has less to do with "snobbery" (speaking for myself here!) and just wanting to enjoy the sound that we've come to "expect" from Beach Boys releases.  Clearly certain aspects of the MIC really upset a lot of people.  A lot of it upsets me, whether or not Linett is trying to offer us new perspectives on tracks doesn't really concern me.  I didn't buy the box set to hear HIS interpretation of what the Beach Boys sound like in the digital age.  I bought it because I've always loved the sound that Brian as well as the band produced during their career.  Digital doesn't bother me, heck it's made my life a lot easier in terms of recording, editing, etc. but digital does bother me when it's used to such an extent that I feel uncomfortable listening to the results.  "Sail Plane Song" has offended many people on this board and I don't blame them.  It sounds sh*t to me!  That's the bottom line, I don't care what Linett was TRYING to do, I don't even care whether or not Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce gave the go ahead on such a sonic atrocity but it doesn't smack of anything "good".  I respect Linett but I really think the liberties taken simply because a person CAN are completely unnecessary. 
I agree with you that it's all personal preference.  But I don't think that comparing Brian's move from recording bass on guitars and uprights to Moog has anything to do with this.  These are mixes that were put together by people that I admire and who really got me seriously interested in a career of recording and production and these mixes don't deserve to be "tinkered" with simply because we're living in a digital age or because an individual wants to put their personal touches onto them.  These recordings are of a time and deserve to be treated with respect.  By all means, sort out things like "drop outs" etc. but don't start changing the overall sound.  If a listener goes home and thinks, "Well, I don't think there's enough bass or treble on this so I'm going to turn those up on my graphic equalizer." then by all means, but when I buy a box set containing music by a legendary group like the Beach Boys I expect to hear their mixes, no matter how bad some may be. 
This isn't a personal attack on you, by the way.  I think I just had to say my bit about this.  I'll go back to being quiet again! 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »

I guess I should be grateful because I have never heard the booted version of 'You've Lost That Loving Feelin' so it never lost that loving feelin' for me.  3D
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »

To me the boot version sounds unmixed and lacking something (dimension? completeness? Not sure.) Where the discrepancy comes, I think, maybe in expectations. I really don't think MiC is intended to be an academic release (ala discs 2-5 of TSS). But what do I know? (nothing). I do like the nakedness of Brian's vocals on the boot version, but the MiC version (for me) opens it up wonderfully into a whole new dimension.

This kills me... I wish people would stop directing people to this link. I don't know why this version of the bootleg has been slowed down so much, but the version I've got on Rockin' Rarities sure doesn't sound like this! Seek that out, people - and you'll discover why us YLTLF fans were/are so disappointed with the MIC version.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »

This kills me... I wish people would stop directing people to this link. I don't know why this version of the bootleg has been slowed down so much, but the version I've got on Rockin' Rarities sure doesn't sound like this! Seek that out, people - and you'll discover why us YLTLF fans were/are so disappointed with the MIC version.

Weird. Your post says it's quoting me, but I never posted any such thing.  Huh
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx