gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681030 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:43:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cows In The Pasture  (Read 3755 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »

Yeah, Fred Vail's country album. 15 tracks produced by Brian in 1970 in 2 weeks. Never finished.

But what does it sound like? Supposedly there were some big studio musicians involved. No one ever talks about this album, ever. Is it because it's terrible? I want to know!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 02:20:44 AM »

From Bellagio 10452:

Cows In The Pasture (Fred Vail)
recorded April 4th-17th 1970
produced by Brian Wilson
Bethany Ann* - There's Always Something There To Remind Me* - Kittens, Kids & Kites - Lucky Billy - Black Man In Georgia - One Woman Won't Hold Me - Why Don't You Give Her To Me - If You're Not Loving, You're Not Living - All For The Love Of A Girl* - Only The Lonely* - Carolina On My Mind - My Way Of Life - A Fool Such As I* - You Pass Me By - I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
[titles noted * had vocals recorded]

Fred Vail's connection with The Beach Boys began as a teenager in May 1963 when he staged a show in Sacramento, and continued as their promoter until they severed links amid some acrimony in the mid-seventies (although he remained especially close to Dennis). Exactly why Brian decided to embark on this particular project - a country album - just as the band were commencing the sessions that would result in Surf's Up is yet another minor BB mystery (unless, of course, Brian was making an oblique point; however it's more likely that he was merely doing a favor a friend). At five sessions over the course of two spring weeks, Brian produced tracks for the fifteen titles listed above, using such country luminaries as Glen D. Hardin, Buddy Emmons, Red Rhodes & James Burton.  As might have been expected, Brian then lost interest in the project, but not before vocals had been recorded for five songs. For pretty well all its known existance, the album was simply referred to as "Fred Vail's country album", but Kurt Ackerman recalls Bruce giving it this title at a Carnegie Hall gig just before he left the band. however, when questioned directly, Fred himself stated that the album had no title.
Possibility of release: given that a) the album is incomplete and b) Vail's voice has been described (by Brian) as "far out", exceedingly slim… but it would be interesting to hear Brian's sole foray into the country field.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:26:31 AM »

I'd love to hear Fred Vail's voice. Then again, maybe not. Brian describes it as 'Far Out', and he also thought that Marilyn had a fantastic voice-and, to be honest, her voice is....er, not so great.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »

It'd be awesome to see how Brian approaches country arrangements. That is if he was responsible for them on the album.
mtaber
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »

"A Fool Such As I" may have been a good LP title...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »

It'd be awesome to see how Brian approaches country arrangements.

That's why I'd love to hear it too. Not Vail's voice (although, maybe it's good) but to hear how Brian worked on country. As mentioned many times, some of the finest musicians around were used.  Which begs the question, who paid and was a release ever planned?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

I've been wanting to hear this ever since I heard Buddy Emmons played steel guitar on a Brian Wilson production.

talk about two geniuses.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »

Are all these songs country standards, or did Brian compose some of them?
XY
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:24:20 PM »

The "Cotton Fields" single was released in April 1970, so Brian perhaps said "Ok, let's go country!". Don't really believe that he was aware of it, but the album version was already put out as single in some countries and reached high chart positions. And some big names in the business had country-albums out around that time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

Are all these songs country standards, or did Brian compose some of them?

All country standards.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »

I don't recognize a lot of the titles, and I wouldn't call anything by Bacharach/David a country standard.

I do see a Hank tune in there however.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:33:12 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 11:07:50 PM »

I've been wanting to hear this ever since I heard Buddy Emmons played steel guitar on a Brian Wilson production.

talk about two geniuses.
  it would be worth hearing for the history of that alone
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »

Bethany Ann* - There's Always Something There To Remind Me* - Kittens, Kids & Kites - Lucky Billy - Black Man In Georgia - One Woman Won't Hold Me - Why Don't You Give Her To Me - If You're Not Loving, You're Not Living - All For The Love Of A Girl* - Only The Lonely* - Carolina On My Mind - My Way Of Life - A Fool Such As I* - You Pass Me By - I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
[titles noted * had vocals recorded]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtPKa7MXLfA

I hope it sounded more like this.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »

I'd love to hear Fred Vail's voice. Then again, maybe not. Brian describes it as 'Far Out', and he also thought that Marilyn had a fantastic voice-and, to be honest, her voice is....er, not so great.

"Fantastic" sounds like a compliment, while "far out" sounds... well...

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx