gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 12:31:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce on stage... SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!  (Read 23801 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »

Most keyboard players tend to use a sustain foot pedal, and sometimes a volume foot pedal. Not sure if Bruce is but he could turn off the volume to his keyboard that way, in between songs. Not unusual.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:41:51 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »

Most keyboard players tend to use a sustain pedal, and sometimes a volume pedal. Not sure if Bruce is but he could turn off the volume to his keyboard that way in between songs. Not unusual.

Thats definitely a possibility.
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »

If Bruce were to play more keys, it would cut into his mic stand adjustment time.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »

If Bruce were to play more keys, it would cut into his mic stand adjustment time.
LOL LOL LOL LOL
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »

COMMENT:

One of Bruce's finest arrangements -- and if you're unfamiliar with this album, suggest you spend the change and enjoy one of the most wonderful orchestral productions around. This is a "big city" arrangement ... like something you might experience at Radio City Music Hall.
  ~swd

>>>  http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sounds-Music-Beach-Boys/dp/B000009NH7
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »

COMMENT:

One of Bruce's finest arrangements -- and if you're unfamiliar with this album, suggest you spend the change and enjoy one of the most wonderful orchestral productions around. This is a "big city" arrangement ... like something you might experience at Radio City Music Hall.
  ~swd

>>>  http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sounds-Music-Beach-Boys/dp/B000009NH7

Thanks for sharing this with me! Sounds interesting!
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

I think all the comments and examples here of Bruce's musical proficiency accents what the original poster may have intended. He is very talented, but chooses to act like a cheerleader on stage. When I saw the Beach Boys a few years back a friend of mine who knew them as that 80s era Full House type, pointed to Bruce and thought his clapping, shrugging, etc. made the band look like a cheesy band a la Sha Na Na.  I get that soem like the rah rah part of the band, but to some it does seem to rub others the wrong way.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2015, 03:25:11 AM »

Bruce played his keyboard in Marbella, Spain last year. Here is an example in Please Let Me Wonder, at 3:15.

https://youtu.be/JqIG65vYeLQ

Hello? Bruce plays

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2015, 03:32:20 AM »

Think of it this way: he's Brian's biggest fan, and a cheerleader for Brian's music. There, feel better now? Smiley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2015, 07:55:52 AM »

I think all the comments and examples here of Bruce's musical proficiency accents what the original poster may have intended. He is very talented, but chooses to act like a cheerleader on stage. When I saw the Beach Boys a few years back a friend of mine who knew them as that 80s era Full House type, pointed to Bruce and thought his clapping, shrugging, etc. made the band look like a cheesy band a la Sha Na Na.  I get that soem like the rah rah part of the band, but to some it does seem to rub others the wrong way.

That's what I was trying to get across with this post! Everyone knows Bruce is super talented!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »

Think of it this way: he's Brian's biggest fan, and a cheerleader for Brian's music. There, feel better now? Smiley

That certainly is a better way to look at it.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:07 AM »

That's what I was trying to get across with this post! Everyone knows Bruce is super talented!

Understood well. He has been called professional in this thread. I am sure in many ways he is, but to many he would just seem like a sidekick who is mailing it in. Dare I say his stage performances are Davy Jonesish?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »

Who cares? I think he should perform any way he sees fit. Bruce waves too much, Brian doesn't play enough, Al's guitar isn't high enough. Blondie's guitar playing is too loud and too jam-ish. Jesus F. Christ are we never happy?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »

Who cares? I think he should perform any way he sees fit. Bruce waves too much, Brian doesn't play enough, Al's guitar isn't high enough. Blondie's guitar playing is too loud and too jam-ish. Jesus F. Christ are we never happy?

No need to freak out, I thought this thread brought up some gold points. You don't need to jump into every thread to talk about how terrible the fan base for mentioning this of that.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

No need to freak out, I thought this thread brought up some gold points. You don't need to jump into every thread to talk about how terrible the fan base for mentioning this of that.
I do that every once in awhile, you know? My favorite band gets constantly trashed and bandied about in a forum that is dedicated to the band members and the music. Once in a while this sh*t gets to me. Ok, continue trashing. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2015, 10:03:12 AM »

The point to the thread is: Bruce is an incredible musician, why doesn't he show that trait?

That's not trashing

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

The point to the thread is: Bruce is an incredible musician, why doesn't he show that trait?

That's not trashing
Being an incredible musician has nothing to do with your persona on stage. Now, if he is in a studio waving his hands and not playing, that's another story. His role on stage is a cheerleader, sing, and play chords. Al does a similar thing thing with Brian. Tim is the main keyboardist in the Beach Boys, just like Nick or Probyn are the guitarists in Brian's band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »

But jardine is an amazing singer - his voice has aged the best of anyone in the band. He leads are always a highlight. Bruce can't sing leads very well however, so you'd think he could display some musicianship instead.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »

But jardine is an amazing singer - his voice has aged the best of anyone in the band. He leads are always a highlight. Bruce can't sing leads very well however, so you'd think he could display some musicianship instead.
See first sentence of prior answer. Jardine does not sing every lead. He mostly sings background vocals, just like Bruce. Jardine doesn't have to show great musicianship in concert. Not what he is there to do. Also, like Al, Bruce co-fronts the band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2015, 12:10:17 PM »

That's not trashing

EXACTLY.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »

That's not trashing

EXACTLY.
The trashing is a just a byproduct?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

See first sentence of prior answer. Jardine does not sing every lead. He mostly sings background vocals, just like Bruce. Jardine doesn't have to show great musicianship in concert. Not what he is there to do. Also, like Al, Bruce co-fronts the band.

The question is why they don't really don't play their instruments. Sure, Al's plays a bit on Sail On Sailor, but is otherwise completely buried in the mix. Bruce (apparently) is audible on songs other than Disney Girls, but I don't hear it. But Al is a solid surf guitar player and Bruce is the best keyboardist Hal Blaine ever worked with. So why do they not show off their instrumental talents more often? I understand they don't HAVE to, they have great backing bands.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »

While I think Jardine as the best voice of the surviving BBs, I think Bruce has the second best. Sure, he gets a little breathy and raspy, but vocals are still pretty incredible for a 73 year old. Although, he is an insanely good piano player and a pretty good bassist, so he could do one of those things.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »

The Sha Na Na analogy is spot on. I was also thinking about when I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders at an outdoor show some years back in Seattle; Paul Revere spent the vast majority of the show aping and clowning around on stage and encouraging the crowd to clap their hands, get up, whatever.

It's whatever you're into, ultimately. No one is disparaging Bruce's studio abilities. His current on-stage role seems to diminish those abilities in my opinion.  A shame really.

If you dig it, then bully for ya. To me and some others, it comes off as cheese.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »

The Sha Na Na analogy is spot on. I was also thinking about when I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders at an outdoor show some years back in Seattle; Paul Revere spent the vast majority of the show aping and clowning around on stage and encouraging the crowd to clap their hands, get up, whatever.

It's whatever you're into, ultimately. No one is disparaging Bruce's studio abilities. His current on-stage role seems to diminish those abilities in my opinion.  A shame really.

If you dig it, then bully for ya. To me and some others, it comes off as cheese.
I agree. Your answer alone could have saved us 2 2/3 pages in this thread.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,