gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 01:01:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things Bruce Johnston  (Read 78409 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »

Endless Harmony is an alright song.
Delightful, almost "subversive" (a great compliment!) with the way in which Johnston sneaks in "You Still Believe in Me" at the end, almost in a "subliminal code" to lead the listener back to Pet Sounds...Clever!  Wink

Aren't you talking about "Brian's Back"? That has "You Still Believe In Me" snuck in there...but I'm nearly positive "Endless Harmony" doesn't.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

Bruce's one second lead near the end of "That's Why God Made The Radio" is the only thing great about an otherwise good song, to me.

AMIRITE? GOODNESS, he sounds nice there!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »

Bruce's one second lead near the end of "That's Why God Made The Radio" is the only thing great about an otherwise good song, to me.

Actually,  you're totes right runnerz. When I hear him do his part, it really does help give me that whole, "woah, this is The Beach Boys in 2012, isn't it?" feeling.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »

Endless Harmony is an alright song.
Delightful, almost "subversive" (a great compliment!) with the way in which Johnston sneaks in "You Still Believe in Me" at the end, almost in a "subliminal code" to lead the listener back to Pet Sounds...Clever!  Wink
Aren't you talking about "Brian's Back"? That has "You Still Believe In Me" snuck in there...but I'm nearly positive "Endless Harmony" doesn't.
Yup! You are correct. 

Yes, it is on Brian's Back, on Endless Harmony Soundtrack! (which I play a lot! ) written by Mike Love! That was a great closing with You Still Believe in Me, to cleverly weave that in. 

Sorry to Mr. Johnston! You get a  Beer

Or maybe Mike should get one!  Beer

Mea culpa! Mea culpa Mea maxima culpa!

Detention for me!  LOL
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »

Which part is that? In the chorus?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »

Think they're referencing the part in the tag where Bruce goes "for fallin' in love!".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »

He does sound good on that song and Isn't it time.

Credit where credits dude.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »

Think they're referencing the part in the tag where Bruce goes "for fallin' in love!".

OH! Gotcha. I agree with the sentiment that Bruce's voice adds a ton of authenticity here.

Speaking of the song TWGMTR.. after hearing all of the semi-botched live versions from last year, the studio version sounds so freakin good to me now!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »

Here's a picture of Bruce being hot apparently

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
oldsurferdude
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »

BrOOth has the best pair of skates money can buy. They really do the job quite well. Wink
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:35 PM »

I think the way Bruce looks at is that with the Beach Boys, he's become part of an American institution. Had he spent more of his life trying to promote his own songwriting, he'd probably be Gary Usher. A dude certain music nerds appreciate, but darn near a nobody as far as the world is concerned. So he's sat there on stage and in photos with his cheesy grin, clinging to Mike Love, and now he'll never be forgotten as long as the Beach Boys are remembered. In some small way, he's ingrained himself in America's collective consciousness, and I think his ego is satisfied with that. Just look at the following picture. Not bad for two 70 year old dorks.

http://live-imagecollect.s3.amazonaws.com/preview/136/0db9eb5189df835
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »

that pic is bitchin'!  Smokin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:57:52 PM by Gertie J. » Logged

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:27 PM »

Maybe it's just my strange sense of humour, but that bit at the start when the voice says 'Pipeline', and Bruce very seriously mimes along, I find really unintentionally funny!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »

i really think that insults of any kind aren't justified when discussing a second's worth of audio
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2013, 01:02:33 AM »

Maybe it's just my strange sense of humour, but that bit at the start when the voice says 'Pipeline', and Bruce very seriously mimes along, I find really unintentionally funny!
That is pretty funny!

Actually after viewing this video (I didn't know Bruce did any publicity for going public at all) I have a greater appreciation for this track
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2013, 02:27:52 AM »

That is pretty funny!

Actually after viewing this video (I didn't know Bruce did any publicity for going public at all) I have a greater appreciation for this track
It must have been the sweater... Tongue

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2013, 03:34:25 AM »

You know, he plays that bass quite well. Surprisingly well, considering his reputation.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2013, 04:37:53 AM »

Here's a picture of Bruce being hot apparently

This would be Bruce's look if he lived like Brian and Dennis.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »

Posted on singer/songwriter/musician/all round good guy Glen Burtnik's Facebook page today (after opening for the Beach Boys last night):

"GLEN'S A.D.D. THOUGHTS FOR THE DAY: I just had an amazing week. To live life you must encounter idiots and assholes. But Bruce Johnston is a gentleman. As of yesterday my beloved Sally is 22. I'm flying to Berlin today. And if you never see me again, I love you."

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »

Posted on singer/songwriter/musician/all round good guy Glen Burtnik's Facebook page today (after opening for the Beach Boys last night):

"GLEN'S A.D.D. THOUGHTS FOR THE DAY: I just had an amazing week. To live life you must encounter idiots and assholes. But Bruce Johnston is a gentleman. As of yesterday my beloved Sally is 22. I'm flying to Berlin today. And if you never see me again, I love you."

Is all of that directed at Bruce? Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »

Why did you post this? What am I to take away from this? What is your take?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »

No take - just one musicians opinion of Bruce Johnston.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:21 AM »

Met Bruce twice.  Spoke for a while the first time to me and another couple of young guys outside their hotel in Manchester in 1993. We have travelled down from Scotland to the gig.  I was on my own.  I think he respected the fact that young fans would do that.  He also spoke warmly of Dennis (did Dennis not write, "God bless you Bruce" on the sleeve notes of POB?).  The second time I met him was with Mike and they both posed for a lovely photo right after they come off stage at Edinburgh Castle in 2001.

I also wonder what he does with his old caps!? 

He w also hanging out with Brian during the Imagination show in 1999. He's on the DVD.  Seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.  Very talented musician, doesn't display it enough.  I also don't agree with his political views or some of his views on his role in the group and money as his motivation.  However, I appreciate his honesty.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »

Bruce is the best Beach Boys
1: He wears sweaters, and looks damn good in them
2: He covered Pipeline and improved on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZIQmiQETM Didn't know it was possible but Gosh Darn he did it.
3: His voice is like a child from a Disney movie, immediately endearing and overall lovable
4: Still tours - his hands are tired, but 50 years later he'll be damned if he can't adjust his mic and clap
5: Nice guy usually very friendly though sometimes threatens unruly fans with republican rants and pistol whippings
6: Met John and Paul in london great story played the Pet Sounds
7: Met Keith Moon too saw them fight great story
8: Backs Mike up when he tells the Back in the USSR song story great story
9: Can still sing, TWGMTR he sounds as good as ever
10: Gave me his email
11: Hates Obama because Obama gun take his muney
12: Always backed up Brian despite what bigmanMike said about Pet Sounds and SMiLE
13: Has a beautiful son
14: Likes to make arrangements of old songs different and uncomfortable case and point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4 damnit bruce why are you so endearing
15: Fuels OldSurferDudes posts
16: Wrote the Greatest song of all time "I write the songs" (this should have been first)
17: Nice hair

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »

Bruce is the best Beach Boys
1: He wears sweaters, and looks damn good in them
2: He covered Pipeline and improved on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZIQmiQETM Didn't know it was possible but Gosh Darn he did it.
3: His voice is like a child from a Disney movie, immediately endearing and overall lovable
4: Still tours - his hands are tired, but 50 years later he'll be damned if he can't adjust his mic and clap
5: Nice guy usually very friendly though sometimes threatens unruly fans with republican rants and pistol whippings
6: Met John and Paul in london great story played the Pet Sounds
7: Met Keith Moon too saw them fight great story
8: Backs Mike up when he tells the Back in the USSR song story great story
9: Can still sing, TWGMTR he sounds as good as ever
10: Gave me his email
11: Hates Obama because Obama gun take his muney
12: Always backed up Brian despite what bigmanMike said about Pet Sounds and SMiLE
13: Has a beautiful son
14: Likes to make arrangements of old songs different and uncomfortable case and point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4 damnit bruce why are you so endearing
15: Fuels OldSurferDudes posts
16: Wrote the Greatest song of all time "I write the songs" (this should have been first)
17: Nice hair

. .  and not a single word about the shorts. Bruce Johnston is inexhaustible.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:33:08 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx