gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 11:52:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian (and Bruce!) interviewed on tonight's Front Row  (Read 20331 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2011, 01:14:41 AM »

"Paul Gambaccini is an idiot"

True.  I'm sure it was he who described Dennis as just a drummer and not a very good one. Hell of an obit.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2011, 01:20:44 AM »

Yes, Carl sounds almost like Brian here at times.  Cheesy
Well ok, have to listen to the complete song.
But we agree it's not Bruce!

The piano could be Bruce. It sounds like someone who can play trying to sound like someone who can't. (the chord inversions and harmonics are too accurate for a self taught musician)

Anyone know who played the piano on Country Air?  The playing style sounds the same to my ear.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »

COME ON GUYS. Brian is playing the piano on Surf's Up.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »

This is really happening.  The SMiLE Sessions... is coming..... Finally.  Grin

Somewhere in this world, Phil Cohen just fell over backwards, dead.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2011, 01:42:12 AM »

That little snippet of "Surf's Up '67" - I'm speechless.  So beautiful I can't even believe it.

It certainly is, and it's certainly not Brian who sings it.

You, sir, are an idiot, and a deaf one at that. You're saying that having discovered and listened to all five takes, Mark & Alan looked at each other and said "let's f*ck with some people's minds and say it's Carl". When you hear the full track, you'll realise just how wrong you are.

And people wonder why I sometimes get a little cranky...  Angry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jameswilliam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2011, 01:57:39 AM »

That little snippet of "Surf's Up '67" - I'm speechless.  So beautiful I can't even believe it.

It certainly is, and it's certainly not Brian who sings it.

It is DEFINETLEY Brian.  That is a silly thing to say.  No one would sit and play Surf's Up at a piano besides Brian at the time.  The quality is so good  Grin
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2011, 02:05:44 AM »

You, sir, are an idiot, and a deaf one at that. You're saying that having discovered and listened to all five takes, Mark & Alan looked at each other and said "let's f*ck with some people's minds and say it's Carl". When you hear the full track, you'll realise just how wrong you are.

Dear sir, I nearly spurted my coffee over the keyboard from laughing.
Thanks for the compliment, I just burnt your book.
Of course I know all that , because I'm an intelligent human being.
But listening to these few seconds, it really sounds like Carl at times.
And my dog agrees.
I know, when the vault-rats state it's Brian, then they know what they are saying.
Just wanted to put a bit of pepper in the soup.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »

I wouldn't call you an idiot, but if anything was ever Brian it's THIS.

Now the God Only Knows "guide vocal" from the Pet Sounds box, on the other hand... Undecided
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, I just burnt your book.

It's Obvious You Never Read It, Or You'd Never Doubt AGD EVER.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »

Nah, it's the fuckin' Easter Bunny that sings Surfs Up.......

If it runs amuck, call the duck
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

Well said Mr. Reum. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »

Hey give the guy a break - we all mis-hear things in these tracks. I actually find the debate over who's playing the piano slightly loonier.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »

That's the Big Bad Wolf on piano.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »

Yessss! Just heard the SU snippet! The out of tune Chickering piano makes it that much better! Why wasn't that on Wild Honey???!!!

And of course, Bruce parroting the tired "Brian doing drugs=bad" line.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2011, 10:03:32 AM »

Yessss! Just heard the SU snippet! The out of tune Chickering piano makes it that much better! Why wasn't that on Wild Honey???!!!

Bruce also saying the tired "smile isn't commercial" line. Whats his idea of commercial, making more "hey little cobra" type songs in 1967?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2011, 10:08:37 AM »

lol, hilarious that someone thinks that isn't brian singing.  very obviously brian.  there are times he sounds like carl, but they're brothers.  Brian has that (aauuuhhhhhn) in his falsetto that's there.  sometimes the "surf's up aboard a tidal wave" can sound like carl, but the key up sounds like brian.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:13:13 AM by Runaways » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »

I understand Bruce's initial concern about Smile not being commercial, but considering what was released instead makes that comment sound off base. As for the drugs, I can see where he's coming from. Being on the road as much as they were, I am sure they saw changes in Brian that people around him everyday may not have taken notice of right away. I am sure that for Brian it was tough balancing being creative, yet commercial, too. The move of the Beach Boys from 45 hit singles to more album oriented material had to scare them as they tried to maintain their popularity.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »

One thing that makes me wonder about Surf's Up...on this Wild Honey version Brian doesn't sing canvas the town on the first verse just like in the demo.

Was that his intention all along? To just have that be instruments?
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »

Well I have just listened to the show, with headphones of course. Musically, wow! Love it all , especially Child. It is so wonderful to hear the band sing this, not Brian's band. I've never heard any boots so this is amazing for me. I am sooo looking forward to receiving my copy of TSS now. I might even blow my money on the box set after hearing this show. Got a few comments re Paul Gamberchini and Bruce though. Bruce doesn't come across great - he seems quite anti-Smile at points and very supportive of it at others. Paul Gamberchini and his Brian was the genius comment.....yes he was the genius, but saying the rest of them were JUST singers? I want to explain to this guy why he is totally wrong. All in all the show was totally worth half an hour of my time. I hope this album goes global!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »

That's Murry on the piano and Audree singing, surely?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:36:14 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

One thing that makes me wonder about Surf's Up...on this Wild Honey version Brian doesn't sing canvas the town on the first verse just like in the demo.

Was that his intention all along? To just have that be instruments?

It's strange to think about, but there it is. I guess that comes with just being used to the 71 version, and later the BWPS, etc. that insert it in there. It does feel empty, but then who knows what Brian intended for that section?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »

Bruce can parrot it all he wants. Reason he wasn't there most of the time during the sessions was because of it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »

Drugs played a very big part in Smile's creation, but it also played a very big part in its demise, too. Don't see how that can be denied outright or anything. Of all people, Brian was extremely ill equipped to be so far and so constantly under the influence of any of that stuff. So yeah, Bruce makes a fair point, I really feel. I think he's much more concerned with Brian as his friend and a person than as his meal ticket or, in our case, a songwriter/musician/whatever. That's fair, too.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »

Drugs played a very big part in Smile's creation, but it also played a very big part in its demise, too.

Yep. I asked Marilyn why in the early 90's. Without hesitation, she said drugs. Brian will tell you that too, but we know other things contributed to it being aborted.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

My first exposure of Smile was via a Paul Gambaccini-hosted Radio 1 documentary about The Beach Boys in (I think) 1980. He played Surf's Up on that show too. That's where it all changed for me. Thus Gambo's alright by me. He sometimes comes across as a little too fact-oriented & not enough emotion-oriented (as someone who heard his eulogy at John Peel's funeral I can attest to this), but y'know "self-proclaimed professor of pop" is a bit harsh. He really knows his stuff.

But then I think Bruce's idea of releasing Smile on a classical label as a Brian-&-Van-Dyke project was a pretty sound one. It might not have sold quite so well, but the freedom of such an arrangement might have given Brian the space & time to actually finish it. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx