gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680960 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 05:22:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Love Song!  (Read 13578 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »

The worst I was expecting is some of the barrage of hate that sometimes comes on here when you criticize the work of Brian Wilson.  (I've seen some ridiculous things posted over the last six months when somebody says they don't like the No Pier Pressure album).  

Thou shalt not draw criticism towards the recorded works of Brian Wilson..... ever.  

So you guys aren't seeing at all how you're being defensive about Mike Love, then? Not even a BIT? C'mon, squint. Hint: subject of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:55:19 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »

Soooo fun and funny!!

We should call it "Funny Fun" because it's a bunt instead of a grand slam.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm a genius too, you know.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  LOL

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »

yeah, Cam. We heard you the first time. You weren't funny then either.

You know how you handle stuff you don't like? You ignore it so it sinks. Not keep it pinned to the top of the page because you have to defend the Lovester's honor. He'll survive!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:01:46 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KDS
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »

Mr. Pertawst,

I basically jumped on this thread because I agreed with another poster who asked why can't we be fans of both Mike Love and Brian Wilson (I'm paraphrasing.  The post was much better worded).  

I get it.   Mike can be a douche bag sometimes.  

What bothers me is when people try to diminish Mike's contribution to The Beach Boys or when people, who've never bought a ticket, unfairly criticize the current Beach Boys touring band.  

And it goes both ways.  I've seen people write things on this board, criticized Brian, or one of his albums, and that person immediately has "an agenda."  

I'm a fan of Mike Love, Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine, David Marks, Bruce Johnston, Blondie Chaplin, and Ricky Fataar.  So, I'm not taking anybody's side.  
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »

I'm not offended by the content of this song or the comedy sketch that was posted a week or so ago, I'm offended at the poor quality and total lack of humor involved. Even the biggest fans of Mike Love must admit the guy is an easy target given the interviews and personal conduct he has exhibited over the past five decades, but these attempts at humor are equally as unfunny as the "Barbara Ann" parody we were subjected to recently.

If the Mike haters truly believe this is high comedy, I have to question their taste.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

Yes, it's all about the music and all of them are equal. It's funny how this sentiment only comes up when it's people poking fun at Mike Love. You never see vicious attacks on Al Jardine's Beach Boys Family and Friends debacle greeted with "but I love all of them equally!" Nobody ever bashes Brian Wilson and gets that response. "I hate those guys from The Flame! Those albums they were on sucked!" never inspires this sort of Beach Boys Talent Equivalency drive. For some reason it's only the Mike-mocking that generates that kind of thing... why not just say, "I love Mike Love and I'm a big fan of what he does and I'm not standing for this! He's had more baseball caps than you've had hot dinners and I'm willing to fight about it!" Don't bring poor Carl and Dennis' ghosts into this.

I know it's painful for the things you love to be made fun of by strangers. But you have to admit, deep down, Mike kinda brings it all upon himself... and has time and time again. Part of the cost of doing business, I guess. I'm sure he lives with it just fine. So take a page from Mike's book, then. Maybe accuse your relatives of being on drugs too, that's always endearing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:14:21 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »

I think Cam Mott is high comedy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »

The worst I was expecting is some of the barrage of hate that sometimes comes on here when you criticize the work of Brian Wilson.  (I've seen some ridiculous things posted over the last six months when somebody says they don't like the No Pier Pressure album).  

Thou shalt not draw criticism towards the recorded works of Brian Wilson..... ever.  

So you guys aren't seeing at all how you're being defensive about Mike Love, then? Not even a BIT? C'mon, squint. Hint: subject of this thread.

Not being defensive towards the guy at all, the clip just wasn't funny. If it was funny I would have laughed.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »

I'm not offended by the content of this song or the comedy sketch that was posted a week or so ago, I'm offended at the poor quality and total lack of humor involved. Even the biggest fans of Mike Love must admit the guy is an easy target given the interviews and personal conduct he has exhibited over the past five decades, but these attempts at humor are equally as unfunny as the "Barbara Ann" parody we were subjected to recently.

If the Mike haters truly believe this is high comedy, I have to question their taste.

What Marty just said.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »

yeah, Cam. We heard you the first time. You weren't funny then either.

I know but you guys think it is soooo fun and funny too, it bears three-peating!!! Don't worry about me, I don't mind repeating it.

I know, right. I would never aspire to be as fun and funny (#4) as this thing. It is Pickle Brothers funny.  Hey! You guys probably want to petition BRI for a Pickles Brothers comedy album. This is that fun and funny! (#5)

Pickle Brothers funny fun!!!

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

Cam, I think the Pickle Brothers' only fan was Mike Love. You might want to try a new act. Juggling, maybe? Comedy ain't your forte.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »

I dont think people understand that Mike and Brian are cousins and even today they both respect each other and dont have all this hate for one another. Just recently Brian said in an interview Mike Love was the best lyricist he has ever worked with!

People are missing out so much when they will refuse to enjoy any of Mike Love related music of the beach boys or enjoy or respect Mike and Bruce doing 100s of conserts a year! They give 110% AT EACH and everyone they do! I agree it would be awesome if Brian would join them! I would love for that! but until then just enjoy the music and respect they guys! We are lucky these guys are still playing are giving us new musics both Brian and Mike & Bruce!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:02:45 PM by The_Beach » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »

Cam, I think the Pickle Brothers' only fan was Mike Love. You might want to try a new act. Juggling, maybe? Comedy ain't your forte.

Right,  fair enough.

I'm not a fan of your humor either.  Maybe we could be a juggling duo.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »

is there an alternate universe?
One  where Mike didn't hear "akem salem" - and he 's still waiting. Brian puts on the gravitas Hollyorb Hornrims for giving out a speech. Instead of just a simple lasik procedure that allows him the use high-resolution video monitors. Carl took the time ou tfor one last shave , one last time for all those of us who needed to know what Carl Wilson might've looked like  at all times in his life without a beard. Would David Marks have received a royalty check for his his vocal work on "Sumer Time bluesues" - thus leaving him with enough bread enough for bread and the bread to have flown in and  taken bread wih the rest of he band. joined the chorus of Shafferian Love-mockery - obligato. Would DenNis have beeen somehing something> ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:54:55 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »

Food for thought, anyway.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »

Honestly, I was actually hoping to hear a new Mike Love song.  Shrug

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »

I know it's all opinion and such but I can't understand anyone not finding that 'the special' sketch funny.

Ripped me apart.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »

[/quote]

I know it's all opinion and such but I can't understand anyone not finding that 'the special' sketch funny.
[/quote]

Double negative!

I was hoping it was a new song by Mike too! maybe his new Alone On Christmas Day single coming out!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »

Probably not the place to post this…

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS:

Brian and Mike writing songs that distil a generation and a moment in time, the crazily efficient and intense output of the early era. The story of family and relationships at the start.

Brian conceiving THAT change in cultural shift and being so open as to explore it at the forefront. Just thinking about Pet Sounds or SMiLE could blow your mind. Rejected and a failure on release (or not) only to be widely lauded as some of the greatest works of 20th century popular music and ahead of their time.

Brian saying 'f*** it' and the boys carrying on. Pulling together as a team to produce some amazing songs that stand on their own. Trying to re-work SMiLE, trying to keep it all together amongst dwindling sales

Love You, Adult/Child where Brian just wrote anything, the crazy ideas and feelings in those albums

The C50 Tour and TWGMTR - having everyone back together and cashing in on a massive tour to keep fans happy and writing some very decent tunes

Brian crazy solo stuff, Sweet Insanity et al

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS

Post Love You to reunion….to be honest when Mike took over, Baywatch and Still Crusin' stuff just makes me cringe and kinda embarrassed

Mike's stage image and general personality, ever.

Brian's boring MOR tracks that feel phoned in and overproduced.

Legal squabbles

I guess what I'm saying is this:
                                                 I don't hate Mike Love. I can see his influence in the early days and the songwriting partnership from the early 60's. No Mike = No Beach Boys (literally and legally).  But I guess the high point for my enjoyment of the bands music and story seem to revolve around Brian being kind of unleashed and creative. It's like a classic story of creative vs commercial and I'm always going to fall on the side of creative, personally. Especially when pretty much everyone involved is a multi-millionaire.

As for Mr Love. He's very easy to poke fun at and he makes it very hard to like him sometimes. I hold everyone up to ridicule and can laugh at some of Brian's creative efforts and quotes, I guess everyone is just a person at the end of the day and I hold no-one ill will.

But it's still good to take the piss sometimes….

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »

Ripped me apart.

Comedy is certainly subjective, but I did not find that improv group to be particularly good. Give the same source material to a competent improv group and you have a homerun. Again, it's all opinion, but I think I have finally found some folks that bought tickets to Dumb and Dumber To.
KDS
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »

I dont think people understand that Mike and Brian are cousins and even today they both respect each other and dont have all this hate for one another. Just recently Brian claimed Mike Love was the best lyricist he has ever worked with!

People are missing out so much when they will refuse to enjoy any of Mike Love related music of the beach boys or enjoy or respect Mike and Bruce doing 100s of conserts a year! They give 110% AT EACH and everyone they do! I agree it would be awesome if Brian would join them! I would love for that! but until then just enjoy the music and respect they guys! We are lucky these guys are still playing are giving us new musics both Brian and Mike & Bruce!

Makes sense. 
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 04:48:26 AM »

Hey, this song is a big phony baloney. Mike didn't say those things.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 06:20:23 AM »

If we can't all agree on whether Mike was, for instance, the main force behind the 2012 reunion breaking up, and if we can't agree on whether Brian used autotune on NPP, then it's just a big hornet's nest to try to all agree on the hugely subjective topic of what's funny or not funny. Seriously.

Similar to how a cogent, thoughtful, respectful article delving into the intensely interesting topic of why Mike is so reviled could be written yet rarely or never is, so too could a truly biting, stinging, yet funny parody of Mike be written, yet rarely or never is. (And yes, we're talking something with a bit more bite than, say, Fallon's Beach Boys sketch; we're talking something that Mike wouldn't want to play on the video screen at his shows).

My take on this video is that it was a rather labored, largely unfunny bit. Almost unintentionally, I thought the one part with the nasal whine with no on-screen words and only a ".........." followed by simply singing "surfin'" was kind of funny and the only part that kind of correctly nailed the sort of parody that could be done.

It's probably still on YouTube somewhere, but several years ago there was some metal band that had literally recorded a song called "F*** You Mike Love" that was so ridiculously over the top that it was kind of funny. At one point the guy starts running though all the people he does like. "We likes you Carl Wilson, we likes you Dennis Wilson, we likes you Al Jardine, we even likes you Al Jarreau, but f*** you Mike Love!" I remember almost finding it more funny that it didn't appear to be a YouTube-specific song rant. It was like an actual album cut that some band had done.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:21:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »

If we can't all agree on whether Mike was, for instance, the main force behind the 2012 reunion breaking up, and if we can't agree on whether Brian used autotune on NPP, then it's just a big hornet's nest to try to all agree on the hugely subjective topic of what's funny or not funny. Seriously.

Similar to how a cogent, thoughtful, respectful article delving into the intensely interesting topic of why Mike is so reviled could be written yet rarely or never is, so too could a truly biting, stinging, yet funny parody of Mike be written, yet rarely or never is. (And yes, we're talking something with a bit more bite than, say, Fallon's Beach Boys sketch; we're talking something that Mike wouldn't want to play on the video screen at his shows).

My take on this video is that it was a rather labored, largely unfunny bit. Almost unintentionally, I thought the one part with the nasal whine with no on-screen words and only a ".........." followed by simply singing "surfin'" was kind of funny and the only part that kind of correctly nailed the sort of parody that could be done.

It's probably still on YouTube somewhere, but several years ago there was some metal band that had literally recorded a song called "F*** You Mike Love" that was so ridiculously over the top that it was kind of funny. At one point the guy starts running though all the people he does like. "We likes you Carl Wilson, we likes you Dennis Wilson, we likes you Al Jardine, we even likes you Al Jarreau, but f*** you Mike Love!" I remember almost finding it more funny that it didn't appear to be a YouTube-specific song rant. It was like an actual album cut that some band had done.

People can say what they want about Goin to the Beach or Pisces Brother, but for me, the low point of the Mike & Bruce (& David) show I saw two months ago was when we were subjected to 15 seconds of the Jimmy Fallon Fun Fun Fun parody. 

Now, I don't wanna go off on a rant here...

But the next time Jimmy Fallon makes me laugh will be the first.  He jumped on board SNL when that ship started sinking, and become notorious for cracking up during sketches.  Laughing during a sketch can be funny when it happens once in a while (ie.  Phil Hartman losing it during a Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein bit), but when that is your claim to fame?

Then, he parlayed being a notable on a weak SNL cast into a brief, unsuccessful movie career. 

Now, he's on late night talk, and his idea of comedy is playing beer pong with guests and doing unfunny song parodies (repeating hamburger stand over and over again is neither funny nor clever). 

Maybe it's a generational thing.  I'm a part of Generation X.  We had a Ghostbusters starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd.  We had Johnny Carson, David Letterman (in his prime), and Jay Leno.  We had The Simpsons in its prime.  We had Seinfeld. 

Poor Generation Y.  They get a Ghostbusters with Melissa McCarthy.  Jimmy Fallon is the king of late night.  They have Bob's Burgers.  But, they seem to like it. 

That's just my opinion....I could be wrong. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2015, 06:45:23 AM »

People can say what they want about Goin to the Beach or Pisces Brother, but for me, the low point of the Mike & Bruce (& David) show I saw two months ago was when we were subjected to 15 seconds of the Jimmy Fallon Fun Fun Fun parody. 

Now, I don't wanna go off on a rant here...

But the next time Jimmy Fallon makes me laugh will be the first.  He jumped on board SNL when that ship started sinking, and become notorious for cracking up during sketches.  Laughing during a sketch can be funny when it happens once in a while (ie.  Phil Hartman losing it during a Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein bit), but when that is your claim to fame?

Then, he parlayed being a notable on a weak SNL cast into a brief, unsuccessful movie career. 

Now, he's on late night talk, and his idea of comedy is playing beer pong with guests and doing unfunny song parodies (repeating hamburger stand over and over again is neither funny nor clever). 

Maybe it's a generational thing.  I'm a part of Generation X.  We had a Ghostbusters starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd.  We had Johnny Carson, David Letterman (in his prime), and Jay Leno.  We had The Simpsons in its prime.  We had Seinfeld. 

Poor Generation Y.  They get a Ghostbusters with Melissa McCarthy.  Jimmy Fallon is the king of late night.  They have Bob's Burgers.  But, they seem to like it. 

That's just my opinion....I could be wrong. 

I thought the Fallon bit was relatively funny (Kevin Bacon was actually the most annoying anachronism; playing his bass down by his crotch like a 90s grunge band bass player).

I otherwise am not interested in Fallon. I 100% understand why he's popular. He doesn't do talk shows in the old mold (and that old mold is far from perfect and open to criticism as well; I don't romanticize Carson either), he produces sketches and bits that are intended as YouTube clips. Literally. He has gone beyond just doing fluffy, non-substantive interviews and goes straight to playing drunk party games with celebrities. I did read an interview with Fallon not too long ago, and he's at least honest in that he admits he will not do anything to challenge or confront guests (even politicians) on his show. He wants them to feel all fuzzy and warm and comfortable on his show.

Those looking for parody with a bit more bite aren't going to find it with Fallon, as evidenced by the fact that one of the main targets of his Beach Boys joke started playing the video at his concerts. (Mike wasting time at his shows playing YouTube clips is a whole other issue. As I said at the time, I'm just glad the BBs didn't use video screens on stage in the 80s and 90s, otherwise we almost surely would have gotten "Full House" clips).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx