gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681077 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 08:17:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 110203 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »

To be honest, I hope the album just has a bunch of super-weird crazy Brian songs.  I'm to the point where I enjoy those the most, stuff like "Shelter" and "Strange World" I really enjoyed.  I know we had basically a whole album of that with "Gettin' In Over My Head" and it all sucked... but the couple kind of wacked-out songs he's had on each album since then were usually my favorite. 

I'm not expecting much from the movie, i'm sure it won't be as good as the way I've always envisoned his history in my mind!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2014, 04:18:38 AM »

I'll take 40 minutes of Ding Dang bookended by two different 10 minute versions of Shortenin' Bread!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:44 AM »

I have heard that the movie is a dud, essentially an homage to Melinda (Me-Landy) who saves Brian from himself and all those other jerks. It's going to be wretched. As for the album, I expect incoherence and maybe a few notable chords and some Al vocals, but it will be a tortured, senseless mess as a whole. Anything short of a BB album (made without JT and while Melinda is gone for 6 months visiting her sister) means nothing.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »

I have heard that the movie is a dud, essentially an homage to Melinda (Me-Landy) who saves Brian from himself and all those other jerks. It's going to be wretched. As for the album, I expect incoherence and maybe a few notable chords and some Al vocals, but it will be a tortured, senseless mess as a whole. Anything short of a BB album (made without JT and while Melinda is gone for 6 months visiting her sister) means nothing.

"And you are?"

"And you know this how?"

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:10 AM »

I read the cast list a couple of days ago and noticed that Dee Stone, the mother in ET, is playing a character called Rosemary. I assume that Rosemary is Melinda's mom.  That alone made me think that the film is going to be very Melinda-heavy. That doesn't surprise me, either, because I don't think the movie would have ever been made without a lot of consistent pressure from Melinda. Brian has seemed to have had mixed feelings about a biopic. The movie has been discussed for years, with different screenplays and directors involved at different points, including Rob Reiner and David Leaf. It's possible that the movie is partly financed by Brian and his family, as well, and it wouldn't have been made without them putting up some capital.  It's an independent feature, so no studio is behind it and they had to get the money somewhere.

I don't think it's necessarily a totally bad thing if Melinda is featured heavily in it, but I'm sure some people might be offended. Especially if they make it look like Melinda solely was the reason that Brian was taken away from Gene Landy. She sometimes implies that's the case in interviews.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

Did you have beaches in mind on your spring vacation?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

Maybe the movie might stink, who knows? But I do know that you likely don't have an "in" with anybody involved with the project and therefore don't buy anything you claim to have "heard".

Also, why do you expect "incoherence" and maybe a few notable chords and Al vocals? Why will it be any more "senseless" than That's Why God Made The Radio? Just because Mike Love and Bruce Johnston aren't there? Sounds like a load of garbage to me. While I will happily admit that I would prefer all the living Beach Boys to work together, I'm still very happy Brian Wilson is writing and performing music, and not only that, but working with Al and Blondie. And if the music is as good as "From There To Back Again" I really don't care if it's listed as "The Beach Boys" or "Brian Wilson" as long as it's great.

And say what you will about "Melinda" as you call her, but last time I check she hasn't pumped Brian full of drugs that are on the verge of killing him, like Landy did. But hey, what do I know?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:09:01 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »

dude, let's keep an open mind and revisit this when the album and movie are out; just making a prediction, but I hope to be wrong! 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

let's keep an open mind

It's going to be wretched

Shrug

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

look boys, you chastise me so I try to retreat to a moderate position in the absence of evidence. my sense is that something less than a masterpiece is slouching toward Bethlehem to be born. when it comes out I will evaluate it fairly.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 17, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »

Wow morale is slipping on this thread.  Shocked

I am sure our patience will be rewarded.

Brian will make good, in his time.  Razz

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »

The movie business demands certain dramatic arcs to appeal to an audience. Maybe the only acceptable script that could be financed emphasized the romantic redemption angle.  I'm expecting it to possibly be a soapy Lifetime cable network type of movie. Hey, at least it got made. If it's even slightly entertaining it's a plus.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »

The movie business demands certain dramatic arcs to appeal to an audience.

And there's the rub! Certainly the case more so in US bio's/movies. I'm dreading the cliché 'Brian at his lowest ebb- Melinda comes to the rescue' moment. Bring on the weepy violins!

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2014, 07:21:11 PM »

Melinda is no June Carter Cash, but when I saw I Walk the Line the love story aspect was great, I didn't have a problem with it. 

I've heard people criticise "Ray", but hell I liked that too.

I also enjoyed the Temptations movie, although it was pretty scripted up too.

So even though I know they'll kind of spice it up I hope they leave it alone enough that it's watchable at least.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

As I've said before, the fact the movie has so many incredibly talented people behind it, it should be fantastic.

Sadly, it will probably be awful, it's a hard movie to tell.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »

I just find it a privilege that one of our heroes is getting the movie-treatment.  This is way better than a TV movie--and I even enjoyed American Family for what it was.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2014, 07:20:32 AM »

I'm still really looking forward to this, but at the moment it does look like quite a big missed opportunity in terms of publicity. Brian has had a reasonably good run of well received albums and then something of a relative hit in TWGMTR. The C50 tour put Brian back in the spotlight and even the unpleasant aftermath kept him in the press. There seemed to be quite a bit of press last summer about Brian touring solo with some of the Beach Boys, doing well-reviewed shows with Jeff Beck, working with all of those people in the studio on an album that had started to get a bit of coverage and was being talked up by various people. Then the whole thing gets put on hold for over a year! I'm far from an expert on these things but it does seem like last year would have been a good time to get a new album out to a wider audience and capitalise on the momentum he'd built up.

Maybe the bio will recapture some of that momentum but it still seems a shame to me. Given that there was talk of quite a bit of material being worked on (the 'three albums' thing), maybe there could have been enough material to finish an album last year whilst still leaving an opportunity for a second one later this year.
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »

No lost momentum, in my opinion.

Don't be so impatient. You can't make the plant grow faster by digging up the seeds to see if they've sprouted.

Cool Guy
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »

There's always a fun duality in seeing something like this as a fan.

Either we love it because we're huge fans or we hate it because we're huge fans.

It'll probably be 20/20 50/50.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2014, 02:43:23 AM »

Did you have beaches in mind on your spring vacation?

Heh heh, exactly!
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »

Don't be so impatient. You can't make the plant grow faster by digging up the seeds to see if they've sprouted.

Cool Guy

I'm not impatient, I just think that there was an opportunity for Brian to reach a wider audience with an earlier release. I could well be wrong though, obviously.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2014, 03:31:31 AM »

I'm going to put my head on the line here, and say that the album will sell an amount of units somewhere between That Lucky Old Sun and TWGMTR. However, if it had come out last year, and got stinking reviews, it might have sold less than both. If it comes out this year and gets brilliant reviews, it might sell as many as TWGMTR! Does this help?

To be even more adventurous, I think the quality of the album might be somewhere between Gettin' [In] Out of My Head and Brian Wilson '88. Just like everything else (bar BWPS) in the last 10 years, perhaps?  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:32:27 AM by carl r » Logged
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »

Cool Guy

I'm not impatient, I just think that there was an opportunity for Brian to reach a wider audience with an earlier release. I could well be wrong though, obviously.

I think it's smart for them to wait to release the album around the time of the release of the biopic.  I'd wager that movies get much more press than tours, which will hopefully bolster the album sales.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »

I'm surprised that nobody noticed this post in the ESQ thread.

From the BW site....

curt lambert 

Posted 03/16   #1   

The new issue of ESQ has some exciting tidbits from Joe Thomas about Brian's new album. He gives a taste of one song entitled "Sail Away" including a chorus lyric. Thomas says the vibe of the new music is not along the lines of "TWGMTR", but more akin to a "Wild Honey and Carl and the Passions/So Tough" style. He says Brian is working in a higher gear and being very creative. Sounds incredible to me! 

This honestly sounds kinda exciting. I'm sure that the music probably won't sound much like Wild Honey, but I supposed it could maybe be a bit more like a slicker Carl and the Passions. Regardless, it does seem like this might actually be the "rock 'n roll" album Brian has been talking about, since those two albums that are referenced are two of The Beach Boys more rockin' projects. Of course, I'd like some more nice ballads too, as I think "From There To Back Again" and "Summer's Gone" are the most recent great Brian Wilson songs, and they also showcase Brian and Al's voices nicely.

Also, it's just nice to read about these new song titles. I was getting a little nervous about this new album, but I'm getting hopeful again that Brian has another classic up his sleeve.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »

Suspect though that Joe Thomas is quite astute… he'll have read (or been informed) that the usual comparisons of new music to Pet Sounds material just don't wash with the fans anymore (as seen on this board in recent months) and alighted on a couple more hardcore favourites with which to draw comparisons and get the fans salivating unreservedly.

I suspect it's a mere marketing ploy… the next album after this will probably be compared to Beach Boys Today and Sunflower…

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx