gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:44:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'California Gurls' versus 'California Girls': Brian Wilson chimes in  (Read 16056 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/07/california-gurls-katy-perry.html

Been hoping for this. Katy Perry's a big beach boys fan so I'm glad he didn't go hard on her.  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/07/california-gurls-katy-perry.html

Been hoping for this. Katy Perry's a big beach boys fan so I'm glad he didn't go hard on her.  Grin

Does Miss Perry own 10 copies of every single SOT volume? LOL LOL LOL Or more realistically, has she even heard anything from Love You? There's a big difference between just liking the hits and being a diehard.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Paulos
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »

Expect her new song 'Roller Sk8ting Chyld' to be out anytime soon!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »

Does Miss Perry own 10 copies of every single SOT volume? LOL LOL LOL Or more realistically, has she even heard anything from Love You? There's a big difference between just liking the hits and being a diehard.

I believe she has a demo of Johnny Carson floating around   Grin

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

I like that Katy Petty song. Not really my type of music, but it really has a great summer vibe. It does kinda suck though that 'California Gurls' will go down in history as a bigger hit than 'California Girls'.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »

I like that Katy Petty song. Not really my type of music, but it really has a great summer vibe. It does kinda suck though that 'California Gurls' will go down in history as a bigger hit than 'California Girls'.

"California Gurls" will be forgotten in a year, "California Girls" will remain in history as one of the greatest songs of all time.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »

lolwut

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »

* There's a big difference between being a big fan and being an obsessive. Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »

It does kinda suck though that 'California Gurls' will go down in history as a bigger hit than 'California Girls'.

Are you high?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »

Time magazine set it straight today

Worst summer songs ever

Katy Perry, "California Gurls"

So. Many. Questions. Why is Snoop wearing a pink cupcake-print suit? What happened to his gummy-bear army? Why does he even have a gummy-bear army? Did Katy Perry force him to do these ridiculous things? (My, how the mighty fall.) Why is a song about California set in Candy Land? Why does she shoot whipped topping out of her bra? The music video for "California Gurls," the so-called 2010 song of the summer, is just the icing on the cake of this terrible tune. Word of advice for Ms. Perry: if you're going to follow up a classic song like the Beach Boys' "California Girls" with a version of your own, make sure it doesn't suck.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/07/19/top-10-worst-songs-of-the-summer/picture-6-10/#ixzz0uHZCntiS

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

As much as I hate to admit it, Katy's song is quite catchy.  I generally don't care for a lot of today's pop music, but if I'm flipping through the stations and it's playing, I'll usually leave it.  It did bother me at first that she would so blatantly rip off Brian and Mike's idea, but she did a good job modernizing it without disrespecting the original. 

I never actually thought we'd get to hear Brian's opinion on the matter...actually, just the image of Brian Wilson listening to a Katy Perry song makes me chuckle.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »

It's  pop music, but it's good pop music. I'm glad Brian can look past the bubblegum production and hear the melody for what it is. The fact that he can do that speaks volumes about the way he is right now. *This* is a reason why he's turning out such good material lately...he's feelin' music again.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 12:43:07 AM »

It does kinda suck though that 'California Gurls' will go down in history as a bigger hit than 'California Girls'.

Are you high?

I never said "better song" or "greater classic". I said "bigger hit". 'California Girls' was #3 in the US and as far as I know it didn't even make the top 10 anywhere else. 'California Gurls' is a US & UK #1. Like it or not, it's a cold hard fact that it'll go in the books as a bigger hit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:45:45 AM by shelter » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 12:57:45 AM »

Prefer Kayla's cover myself.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:35 AM »

"Bigger hit" is quite relative. I would guess that a number 3 song in 1965 sold more per capita than a number 1 song in 2010. I know it's that way on the album charts -- a "number 1" album can have quite low sales these days, historically speaking.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »

"Bigger hit" is quite relative. I would guess that a number 3 song in 1965 sold more per capita than a number 1 song in 2010. I know it's that way on the album charts -- a "number 1" album can have quite low sales these days, historically speaking.

'California Gurls' sold over 2 million legal downloads already. Quite a nice sales figure if you'd ask me.

And for the record: I posted earlier that 'California Girls' wasn't a top 10 hit anywhere outside the US, that wasn't true: it made the top 10 in Sweden, Rhodesia, Australia, Canada and South Africa.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »

Personally, I don't think Brian's ever heard the song.  I think the interview went like this, before it was edited.

Reporter: What do you think of this variation on your theme, and are you flattered or infuriated by it?

"I love her vocal, She sounds very clear and energetic."  (he's never heard it)

Reporter: What do you think about her new melody?  Do you like that better than Snoop's part in the tag where he uses your lyric?

"The melody is infectious, and I'm flattered that Snoop Dogg used our lyric on the tag, I wish them well with this cut."  (he's never heard it)

Update: Mike Love gave his thoughts in the same link now.  It's actually pretty good.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »

Personally, I don't think Brian's ever heard the song.  I think the interview went like this, before it was edited.

Reporter: What do you think of this variation on your theme, and are you flattered or infuriated by it?

"I love her vocal, She sounds very clear and energetic."  (he's never heard it)

Reporter: What do you think about her new melody?  Do you like that better than Snoop's part in the tag where he uses your lyric?

"The melody is infectious, and I'm flattered that Snoop Dogg used our lyric on the tag, I wish them well with this cut."  (he's never heard it)

Update: Mike Love gave his thoughts in the same link now.  It's actually pretty good.

Brian has a 13-year-old daughter and a 12-year-old daughter - you still think he's never heard it, at least in passing ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

Hmmm...that may be part of the reason why his opinion is softening towards newer music...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »

Personally, I don't think Brian's ever heard the song. 

It's currently the #1 hit in the US and it has the same title as one of Brian's greatest songs. Doesn't seem that hard to believe to me that it came to his attention one way or another. The guy doesn't live under a rock.

We have a lot in common now: We both have done songs called 'California Girls' and we've both kissed girls and liked it.

Has to be one of Mike's better jokes.  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »

I'm with Ron! He probably hasn't heard it.

"I love her vocal," the Beach Boys' creative mastermind said Monday through his manager. "She sounds very clear and energetic."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:54:01 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »

I would tend to agree with AGD and shelter on this one...although I doubt Brian keeps up on what's new in pop music these days, it's hard to believe he wouldn't hear a song that bears the same title as one of his biggest hits and is a huge hit in its own right at the moment.  You'd have to think that somebody at some point thought it might be fun to play it for him and see what he thought.  Not too farfetched I don't think.  Of course, Brian may have also come across the music video one day and been so entranced staring at Katy that he came to like the song that way...certainly wouldn't surprise me!

Mike, on the other hand, is quite clearly familiar with Katy's work  Cool Guy
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »

I'm still not sold.  I don't think you can trust a thing Brian says in an interview, that's one of my favorite things about him... his complete and utter lack of respect for journalism, lol.  I mean you can't even get him to take ANY question seriously.  I also feel he lives in Wilsonland and even if the song was playing in the car, he was driving, with his two daughters singing along Brian probably wouldn't be hearing it. 

I think it would be possible in Wilsonland for the song to be playing in the car, he was driving, and all THREE of them were singing along and he still wouldn't be hearing it Smiley

I know tons of senior citizens who hear new music all the time and couldn't tell you a thing about it, they zone out.

I'm being a bit faceitious but really I don't thik he's heard it, he's just being polite.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »

BTW, Gretchen Wilson had a huge hit a few years back called "California Girls" that i'd bet was more heard than this, and Brian's never commented on it... probably because he never heard it, either. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 04:39:51 PM »

I like "gurls" inspite of myself. My only small criticism is Snoop's one-for-the-ages flow is off or something...like he is reciting someone else's words...?...

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx