SIP Could Have Sold Much Better As Is

<< < (6/33) > >>

ontor pertawst:
Quote from: CenturyDeprived on December 18, 2014, 07:49:00 PM

Quote from: Tord on December 18, 2014, 07:41:40 PM

Quote from: Shark on December 18, 2014, 04:49:26 PM

As bad as Surfin' is on this album, has anyone else at all heard that they remixed (or were going to remix) Surfin' into "a dance song" in the late 90's/early 00's?  I swear I did not dream this...Mike and Bruce played Reading Municipal Stadium in 2001 I believe and the local radio station, Y-102 (102.5) was promoting the show.  They were playing some Beach Boys songs during the day, including Getcha Back which I hadn't heard on the radio in well over a decade at that point, and the DJ mentioned that they were going to play a "new" Beach Boys' song around 5PM that day and then clarified it and said that it was a dance remix of Surfin'.  My initial reaction was "Please don't" but although I was morbidly curious, I wasn't around a radio around that time and missed it.  I did make it to the show that night though.  Has anyone else heard about this?

I recall Bruce mentioning this on the BB Britain Board in the early 00's. He said that it would be in the style of Britney Spears, if I remember correctly.

You know, the non-release of this sounds like the band's image avoided a bit of nuclear fallout there. My active imagination makes me think it would have made Here Comes the Night 1979 sound like Pet Sounds.

Bruce Johnston re-imagines Britney Spears. It'd really be a good way to salute NASCAR.

Properly this time. Sexily.

CenturyDeprived:
Quote from: ontor pertawst on December 18, 2014, 07:49:15 PM

Quote from: CenturyDeprived on December 18, 2014, 07:49:00 PM

Quote from: Tord on December 18, 2014, 07:41:40 PM

Quote from: Shark on December 18, 2014, 04:49:26 PM

As bad as Surfin' is on this album, has anyone else at all heard that they remixed (or were going to remix) Surfin' into "a dance song" in the late 90's/early 00's?  I swear I did not dream this...Mike and Bruce played Reading Municipal Stadium in 2001 I believe and the local radio station, Y-102 (102.5) was promoting the show.  They were playing some Beach Boys songs during the day, including Getcha Back which I hadn't heard on the radio in well over a decade at that point, and the DJ mentioned that they were going to play a "new" Beach Boys' song around 5PM that day and then clarified it and said that it was a dance remix of Surfin'.  My initial reaction was "Please don't" but although I was morbidly curious, I wasn't around a radio around that time and missed it.  I did make it to the show that night though.  Has anyone else heard about this?

I recall Bruce mentioning this on the BB Britain Board in the early 00's. He said that it would be in the style of Britney Spears, if I remember correctly.

You know, the non-release of this sounds like the band's image avoided a bit of nuclear fallout there. My active imagination makes me think it would have made Here Comes the Night 1979 sound like Pet Sounds.

Bruce Johnston re-imagines Britney Spears. It'd really be a good way to salute NASCAR.

Properly this time. Sexily.

I'm gonna get really meta here with a remake suggestion that NEEDS to happen: Brian Wilson Reimagines Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks of the Beach Boys Salute NASCAR.

halblaineisgood:

Wirestone:
I've softened considerably on SIP in the last couple of years. Its main failings are less that it's terrible (although there are a couple of terrible moments -- why on earth was this group so fixated on rapping?) and more that it's just a bunch of songs with a pretty similar feel and tempo. Mike does his best, but Terry Melcher is no Brian Wilson -- for that matter, Terry is no Alan or Bruce or Carl. The decision to make the album mostly by those two guys really hurt.

But Mike comes up with some good things. Strange Things Happen and the title track work well, the covers aren't bad by BB standards, and there are nice moments in LA and Still Surfin. I just think ideology really affects the BBs sometimes -- I mean, MIU is a very Brian-dominated album, but given the circumstances of its creation, people have been dissing it for years. And likewise, because BW wasn't involved with SIP (and was shopping Sweet Insanity around at the time), I think the record got a lousy reputation.

Again, I'm not saying it's some glorious lost gem. But it's by no means unlistenable, which BW has arguably approached a time or two in his solo career.

Bean Bag:
As a fan, I can find more than a few things to enjoy on Summer In Paradise.  And that's all I care about.

I also feel that a little eighties/early nineties cheese is fun to drop on unsuspecting listeners.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page