gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680978 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:41:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191520 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1050 on: March 12, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »

Does this mean Warner Bros. will give back the $50,000?
LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »

Ummmm - how many disks?Huh?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4765.msg89409.html#msg89409
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: March 13, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »

Like the release says, 4 CDs, 2 LPs, 2 45s - I make that eight discs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 13, 2011, 01:59:14 AM »

Yes, it would be nice to have BBoV as an eight, nine, ten or 12 disc set but I think Capitol would be the wrong label for that.

And Capitol is the right label for what's coming!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: March 13, 2011, 03:31:10 AM »

Let's be honest, BBOV is really very boring. Reminds me of the SOT "GV" box, one of the more tedious listening experiences of my entire life. Essential research material, but not a fulfilling listen.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 13, 2011, 03:35:24 AM »

I find though that listening to the session stuff, partic the many-fold take types, as I work helps induce a beneficial trance-like state in which I get more work done.

(At the moment the biggest distraction to my work is this board and this glorious news we've been sharing and analysing for days!)

Edit: it's been nearly ten minutes and no new posts.....  Edward, I'm having an emotionless physical relationship with this Massey Ferguson agricultural vehicle.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:44:03 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »

Just had a DUH ! moment - Hoffman said he was asked by Capitol to squash the rumours on his board. Funny how Capitol never asked any of the other BB MB mods to do the same.

.... or we're simply ignoring those kind of requests ....  Roll Eyes

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 13, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »

Just had a DUH ! moment - Hoffman said he was asked by Capitol to squash the rumours on his board. Funny how Capitol never asked any of the other BB MB mods to do the same.

If they really did, that is just absurd

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: March 13, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »

Dang, gone for just two days in order to buy a new car, and look at what happens. I've had worse weekends.  Grin

I can't wait to listen to that boxset! I might buy a couple... And many 2-CD sets, for friends. As I had said earlier, as long as it is a multi-CD set, I'll be happy with what we get. I can't see how I could possibly complain, and I'm not one of the many "tracklisters"* on this board, so even the "album CD" will probably be amazing.

(* "tracklisters" are those who spend years perfecting a Smile tracklist and thinking about whether "Diamond Head" should be included, and where, etc. - no offense to them, actually I can see why they're doing it, but it's just not my kind of thing. I did my Smile mix, I was pleased with it, end of story  Grin)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 13, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »

Just kidding, shady. We never got this request.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1060 on: March 13, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »

Just kidding, shady. We never got this request.

I seriously doubt anyone did, including Steve Hoffman.

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 13, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »

Yes, but why different media? Guess that some of the stuff on the cd's will turn up on the LP's/45's. They're talking about cd1 containing the "real" Smile - then what will be on the LP´s/45´s? And isn't it so, that most of us have already heard - haaaaven't we... Wink - 90-95% of the material?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1062 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »

Yes, but why different media? Guess that some of the stuff on the cd's will turn up on the LP's/45's. They're talking about cd1 containing the "real" Smile - then what will be on the LP´s/45´s? And isn't it so, that most of us have already heard - haaaaven't we... Wink - 90-95% of the material?

This is my understanding of the breakdown, arrived at by actually reading the article in Billboard.

- a 2 CD set: CD 1 will comprise, as close as is possible and based of the 2004 template of Brian Wilson presents Smile, a coherent sequence of the most complete music available, mixed to mono. CD2 will contain tracking and vocal session excerpts and studio chatter, in stereo.

- a digital download: no details are available as yet.

- a deluxe, limited edition box set comprising 4CDs, 2 vinyl LPs, 2 vinyl 45s and a hardbound 60 page book containing a new essay by noted Beach Boys & Smile historian Domenic Priore. Three sides of the vinyl will reprise CD1 of the standard issue: the contents of side 4 are as yet unknown, as are those of the CDs beyond that they will included expanded session excerpts. All known tracks recorded during the Smile era will be represented, and it's reported that previously unheard material has been discovered. The best guess for the 45s is that they're repros of the original "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains" singles.

Why the different media ?  Marketing, plus it shuts up the vinyl junkies.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:28:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 13, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »

- a deluxe, limited edition box set comprising 4CDs, 2 vinyl LPs, 2 vinyl 45s and a hardbound 60 page book containing a new essay by noted Beach Boys & Smile historian Domenic Priore. Three sides of the vinyl will reprise CD1 of the standard issue: the contents of side 4 are as yet unknown, as are those of the CDs beyond that they will included expanded session excerpts. All known tracks recorded during the Smile era will be represented, and it's reported that previously unheard material has been discovered. The best guess for the 45s is that they're repros of the original "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains" singles.

Why the different media ?  Marketing, plus it shuts up the vinyl junkies.

Not completely.  It would be nice to have everything that will be on the CDs, also available on vinyl; not simply what's on the one CD. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1064 on: March 13, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »

I wish the vinyl was seperate. Pisses me off that I have to pay for something I CANNOT USE in order to get what I really want.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 13, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »

I wish the vinyl was seperate. Pisses me off that I have to pay for something I CANNOT USE in order to get what I really want.

Seems to me that's "WILL NOT USE"; no one I know is stopping you from purchasing a turntable, so as to give your ears a special treat.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 13, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »

I hope the 45s -- if they are reproductions of the original "Heroes and Villains" and "Good Vibrations" singles -- have picture sleeves. The H&V picture sleeve was always sort of amusing to me and I'd like to own it (along with the single itself, obviously).
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 13, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »

I hope the 45s -- if they are reproductions of the original "Heroes and Villains" and "Good Vibrations" singles -- have picture sleeves. The H&V picture sleeve was always sort of amusing to me and I'd like to own it (along with the single itself, obviously).

I presume you mean the Brother issue, and not the original Capitol Sleeve with the smile photos?

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 13, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »

I also wish the vinyl was separate, but for reasons the other way around. don't need the CDs.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 13, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »

This is my understanding of the breakdown, arrived at by actually reading the article in Billboard.

Thanks for the extended breakdown. Dear Andrew, I did read the article but it was a quick read at the job so I missed some parts. Seems we'll just have to wait and see...
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 13, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »

I also wish the vinyl was separate, but for reasons the other way around. don't need the CDs.

Something tells me there are going to be a boatload of broken up sets on eBay in, like, no time!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 13, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »

Something tells me there are going to be a boatload of broken up sets on eBay in, like, no time!
Good thinking. Let's hope so.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 13, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »

I presume you mean the Brother issue, and not the original Capitol Sleeve with the smile photos?

Yeah, this one: right here. (Apparently hotlinking via an image host won't work!)

edit: Oh, right, I didn't include the extension... oops.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:42:52 PM by Midnight Special » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1073 on: March 13, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »

Yeah, this one: right here. (Apparently hotlinking via an image host won't work!)

I love that sleeve too! I hope they use it.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 13, 2011, 03:18:30 PM »

I love that sleeve too! I hope they use it.

What's one of these sleeves with it's 45 worth?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx