gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 02:52:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's band  (Read 106149 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »

If I remember correctly, you were banned for insulting a poster in AGD's style and chose not to post here once your ban ended. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Roll Eyes

Absolutely no reason to bring that up.

I actually think it was fair enough to bring it up. Yes, I *was* banned -- for a week, two and a half years ago, by (if I remember right -- I may not) someone who's no longer a moderator -- for insulting another poster. Not, though, "in AGD's style", but entirely in my own -- I need no lessons in rudeness from anyone Wink . Specifically, when insulting the other poster I was defending Brian and his band from a poster who was repeatedly calling for Brian to sack half his band and replace them with a synthesiser.

The reason I stopped posting was that that ban was justified -- I was behaving badly. And the main reason I was behaving badly was because the atmosphere here was getting so horrible it was actually affecting my mental and physical health to get involved in the endless, petty, squabbling. I was turning into an unpleasant person, and behaving unpleasantly, so I stopped engaging.

I have come back partly because I am somewhat healthier at the moment, and partly because the site has deteriorated even further, and I've come to the conclusion that it's moral cowardice on my part to disengage from the site rather than try to constructively improve it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:38:01 AM by AndrewHickey » Logged

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »

Nobody needs my two cents on the nonsense within this thread and so many like it, but hey, my ego is such that I can’t stay entirely out of anything going on this long, so bear with me and my patronizing twaddle. Or pretend there’s an ignore feature and move along.

First, I agree whole-heartedly with AGD’s earlier sentiments—yes, the same AGD who called me a patronizing twaddler during one disagreement, but whom I consider often very reasonable and absolutely one of the more valuable posters here, like him or not (I do, actually)—that this is just a message board. Life is real. Life means something. This? Bah. If it’s causing you any real distress, just leave. It’s the fucking Internet, a bunch of 1s and 0s.

Second, some members clearly behave as trolls. I won’t call them trolls (mostly for fear that I’m one of those people Billy wants to ban). (Yep, sadly, I’m that self-absorbed that I think everything must be about me. I’m not proud of it.) But the behavior—the childish one-note, emoticon-laden trash obviously intended to get a rise out of (especially certain members of) the board—is trollish.

But ban them, don’t ban them, I don’t care. Because unless I’m mistaken, posting stupidly and repetitively isn’t a bannable offense. (I made that up, because I’ve never read the rules. It was an assumption, actually. Ass, you, me, yes, I know.) If it were, many of us would be banned at one time or another. Billy brought up the political Sandbox threads, which I love and hate, and a careful perusal of those would show me totally worthy of being banned. Sometimes someone gets your goat. I’m as weak as anyone else in being above that, despite repeated efforts at redoubling my resolve.

I think it would be great if we as a community—which we are—could do that. Redouble our resolve. In an environment where we can each say what we please, we have to realize there are people saying things we’re going to dislike … sometimes almost violently despise. What’s more, I think it’s important to keep in mind that we’re not all here for the same reasons, so it isn’t even a matter of disagreeing on this or that point in the pursuit of [thing]: you can’t get mad at a baseball player for doing something against the rules of football if the field isn’t designated as one for either a baseball or football game. Serious research, social interaction among people with a shared interest, paraphernalia collection, musical dissection, pop culture curiosity, or whatever else, we’re a diverse bunch doing diverse things.

In such an environment, a few adolescents of all ages feel the need to put a bag of sh*t on the front stoop, light it on fire, and ring the doorbell. We can waste an inordinate amount of energy raising taxes to fund an expanded police force—indeed, more accurately, even whip up a vigilante citizens’ brigade—to watch every doorstep, to trail every bratty teenager walking around after dark, to hide in the bushes to pounce at the moment of sh*t-fire. (I feel like Frank Lahey at the moment. In a couple ways, none of which involve uniforms or Randy.) We can do that.

Or we can just accept that some people are immature. Kind of stupid. Boring. And if their lives are somehow fulfilled by giggling over grown-ups stomping on their flaming shitbags, we can recognize that maybe a cup of water is a better solution than stomping it out.

And we can pity them their pathetic pastime as we continue with our grown-up lives. That’s not up to moderators—especially volunteer moderators of a message board dedicated to a pop music band. If you want a better board, do your part to make the board better.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »

Excellent post with excellent use of metaphor, Captain. A+
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »

Nobody needs my two cents on the nonsense within this thread and so many like it, but hey, my ego is such that I can’t stay entirely out of anything going on this long, so bear with me and my patronizing twaddle. Or pretend there’s an ignore feature and move along.

First, I agree whole-heartedly with AGD’s earlier sentiments—yes, the same AGD who called me a patronizing twaddler during one disagreement, but whom I consider often very reasonable and absolutely one of the more valuable posters here, like him or not (I do, actually)—that this is just a message board. Life is real. Life means something. This? Bah. If it’s causing you any real distress, just leave. It’s the fucking Internet, a bunch of 1s and 0s.

Second, some members clearly behave as trolls. I won’t call them trolls (mostly for fear that I’m one of those people Billy wants to ban). (Yep, sadly, I’m that self-absorbed that I think everything must be about me. I’m not proud of it.) But the behavior—the childish one-note, emoticon-laden trash obviously intended to get a rise out of (especially certain members of) the board—is trollish.

But ban them, don’t ban them, I don’t care. Because unless I’m mistaken, posting stupidly and repetitively isn’t a bannable offense. (I made that up, because I’ve never read the rules. It was an assumption, actually. Ass, you, me, yes, I know.) If it were, many of us would be banned at one time or another. Billy brought up the political Sandbox threads, which I love and hate, and a careful perusal of those would show me totally worthy of being banned. Sometimes someone gets your goat. I’m as weak as anyone else in being above that, despite repeated efforts at redoubling my resolve.

I think it would be great if we as a community—which we are—could do that. Redouble our resolve. In an environment where we can each say what we please, we have to realize there are people saying things we’re going to dislike … sometimes almost violently despise. What’s more, I think it’s important to keep in mind that we’re not all here for the same reasons, so it isn’t even a matter of disagreeing on this or that point in the pursuit of [thing]: you can’t get mad at a baseball player for doing something against the rules of football if the field isn’t designated as one for either a baseball or football game. Serious research, social interaction among people with a shared interest, paraphernalia collection, musical dissection, pop culture curiosity, or whatever else, we’re a diverse bunch doing diverse things.

In such an environment, a few adolescents of all ages feel the need to put a bag of sh*t on the front stoop, light it on fire, and ring the doorbell. We can waste an inordinate amount of energy raising taxes to fund an expanded police force—indeed, more accurately, even whip up a vigilante citizens’ brigade—to watch every doorstep, to trail every bratty teenager walking around after dark, to hide in the bushes to pounce at the moment of sh*t-fire. (I feel like Frank Lahey at the moment. In a couple ways, none of which involve uniforms or Randy.) We can do that.

Or we can just accept that some people are immature. Kind of stupid. Boring. And if their lives are somehow fulfilled by giggling over grown-ups stomping on their flaming shitbags, we can recognize that maybe a cup of water is a better solution than stomping it out.

And we can pity them their pathetic pastime as we continue with our grown-up lives. That’s not up to moderators—especially volunteer moderators of a message board dedicated to a pop music band. If you want a better board, do your part to make the board better.

Very well said, especially the last sentence. 

And no, you're not even close to being banned! As far as the political threads, it's not the actual viewpoints, but when some use it to further their racist agenda, well, I have a major issue with that...and that's not from you anyway! You're fine, dude

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2015, 01:07:44 PM »

(Anyone else here sharing my sense of inadequacy? I've not had a nasty email from a board member or a warning shot from a mod… A few friendly ones from all kinds of folk recently but … well … what am I doing wrong?)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:54:51 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: November 28, 2015, 12:47:27 AM »

Seems to be a mild climate of fear prevailing currently. That posters, even in jest, feel they have to hold back... this can't be right.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »

Seems to be a mild climate of fear prevailing currently. That posters, even in jest, feel they have to hold back... this can't be right.
Agreed. I have an idea/suggestion that may help clear things up. I think that the list of rules might benefit with a quick list of examples of "bannable offences"(all created with fictional characters, of course). These examples will spell out specifically what you can and can not say on this board. I know, you're probably reading this and thinking "I don't need to be patronized and treated like a child". Sadly, it's almost come to this. Apparently, if you don't don't spell it out in words people understand, some people don't know better.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:10:18 AM by Ognir Rrats » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2015, 04:05:28 AM »

Works for me.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2015, 04:26:49 AM »

#notthebeachboys. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2015, 06:19:33 AM »

#notthebeachboys. Wink

LOL Works for me.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »

Agreed. I have an idea/suggestion that may help clear things up. I think that the list of rules might benefit with a quick list of examples of "bannable offences"(all created with fictional characters, of course). These examples will spell out specifically what you can and can not say on this board. I know, you're probably reading this and thinking "I don't need to be patronized and treated like a child". Sadly, it's almost come to this. Apparently, if you don't don't spell it out in words people understand, some people don't know better.

There are only a few, very clear rules.  Clear enough, that non-native speakers of English seem to understand and respect.  It is quite simple for me.  

First, posters follow the rules they agreed to, when they joined.  

Second, moderators please enforce the rules.  Failing to enforce what is clear, only serves to embolden those who continue their nonsense. And it chases off people who come here with an open mind to all band members, past and present.    

Emoticon rules are not the solution.  Nor is censorship which no one wants, either.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2015, 06:49:14 AM »

There are only a few, very clear rules.  Clear enough, that non-native speakers of English seem to understand and respect.  It is quite simple for me.

Second, moderators please enforce the rules.  Failing to enforce what is clear, only serves to embolden those who continue their nonsense. And it chases off people who come here with an open mind to all band members, past and present.    

Emoticon rules are not the solution.  Nor is censorship which no one wants, either.

COMMENT:

Does this connote that the disentanglement of my interlaced ambiguities will perpetually remain imprisoned thoughts? Should I relocate to the Hoffman board if presenting a divergent expression judged inconsistent to the prevailing attitudes? 
  ~swd

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »

COMMENT:

Does this connote that the disentanglement of my interlaced ambiguities will perpetually remain imprisoned thoughts? Should I relocate to the Hoffman board if presenting a divergent expression judged inconsistent to the prevailing attitudes? 
  ~swd

No one could blame you but please don't.  We've already managed to drive off what should have been valued guests because we couldn't manage to extend common hospitality in the face of challenging viewpoint.  Loren Darro anyone?  Hopefully we can get ourselves under control. 

Just my opinion so don't anyone get too exercised and insulty over it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »

ANY board member who receives what they feel is an inappropriate, offensive, or unwelcome private message from another board member is encouraged to report it to a moderator.

I've already covered this in detail in this thread, and also reposted the official board rules covering private messages. Despite claims to the contrary, there is nothing that requires clarification.

To spell it out in the most basic, common-sense way: If a private message is reported, and the moderators are contacted by the recipient, that message can be forwarded or requested to be forwarded to the moderators for review. Otherwise, there would be nothing for the moderators to review. If further action is deemed necessary, if it is determined that the message (or messages) in question violated a board rule, then further action will be taken as with any reported public post on the board.

Repeating yet another time: The moderators can not directly access any board member's messages. PERIOD. If there are questions about access from the administration/owner specific to that process, the questions should be directed to them.

The same rules regarding conduct between board members applies to private messages as it does public posts.

If there are attempts to avoid those rules of public conduct by using private messages for reasons other than normal, person-to-person conversation, that behavior will NOT be tolerated.

If ANYONE receives a private message which they feel was inappropriate, offensive, or unwelcome, PLEASE contact a moderator and report it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »

COMMENT:

~swd

No one could blame you but please don't.  We've already managed to drive off what should have been valued guests because we couldn't manage to extend common hospitality in the face of challenging viewpoint.  Loren Darro anyone?  Hopefully we can get ourselves under control.  

Just my opinion so don't anyone get too exercised and insulty over it.

I agree that we need more civility around here, but I'm not sure that I would make Loren Darro the example of how bad this board can be. He came in with an agenda and a chip on his shoulder, said some generally offensive things, and got hateful when people challenged his assertions. That's not quite the same as someone coming in and starting a thread for reasoned discussion that gets hijacked by insults and snark that do nothing to further the conversation.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:13:30 AM by Cyncie » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 28, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »

ANY board member who receives what they feel is an inappropriate, offensive, or unwelcome private message from another board member is encouraged to report it to a moderator.

I've already covered this in detail in this thread, and also reposted the official board rules covering private messages. Despite claims to the contrary, there is nothing that requires clarification.

To spell it out in the most basic, common-sense way: If a private message is reported, and the moderators are contacted by the recipient, that message can be forwarded or requested to be forwarded to the moderators for review. Otherwise, there would be nothing for the moderators to review. If further action is deemed necessary, if it is determined that the message (or messages) in question violated a board rule, then further action will be taken as with any reported public post on the board.

Repeating yet another time: The moderators can not directly access any board member's messages. PERIOD. If there are questions about access from the administration/owner specific to that process, the questions should be directed to them.

The same rules regarding conduct between board members applies to private messages as it does public posts.

If there are attempts to avoid those rules of public conduct by using private messages for reasons other than normal, person-to-person conversation, that behavior will NOT be tolerated.

If ANYONE receives a private message which they feel was inappropriate, offensive, or unwelcome, PLEASE contact a moderator and report it.
This sets it all out in a clear and concise fashion.
Draw a line in the sand and move on.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »

This sets it all out in a clear and concise fashion.
Draw a line in the sand and move on.

SURF'S UP ! ! !

On the other side of the line-in-the-sand.

LET'S GO SURF'N NOW ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:25:53 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »

LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »

Guitarfool, with all due respect, PMs are not the main issue of concern here -- it's trolling.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »

Guitarfool, with all due respect, PMs are not the main issue of concern here -- it's trolling.

Yes, I agree. 

We aren't privy to whatever PM's have been exchanged but we can all see this constant vitriol.   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »

Indeed. There is a widely expressed feeling in this thread that something needs to be done about the disruptive posting of certain people and now a line has been drawn under the PM issue, hopefully this will be addressed.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »

Pugnacious arrogance. Therein lies the root of the problem. It's an "across the board", irascible problem that should be terminated immediately if not sooner.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »

Yeah 'cos Andrew offers absolutely nothing of value to this board, what do you bring?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:43:31 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »

Here's an idea...let's all move on from this. For my own personal reasons,  I may not be on this board much longer ,but I still want to see the board improve before I sign off forever. The only way that'd going to happen though is if you people start being more respectful of each other.  I'm locking this thread right now. I should've done this several pages ago, butI've been distracted,  so to speak, as I've had the month from hell.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:48:18 PM by ♩♬ Fear 2 Stop ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:24 PM »

Unlocking this one in light of some new developments. Some feel that the advice or actions taken by the mods warranted a reaction like the one seen in the discussion you can find at this link: http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1448346206.56746&user=bellagio

And in the transcript below.

This is disgusting. Is this the kind of atmosphere the consensus wants to see on this or any board community?

Is it in any way coincidental that the loudest criticisms in this discussion elsewhere the loudest voices on this board calling for the moderators to do what they would like to see done...and if not, I guess it justifies personally ripping the moderators apart as they see fit? Slander? Or just disgusting behavior from adults who should know better, especially in personal interactions?

And it says a lot about the character involved in doing this that it couldn't be done one-on-one, but had to be plastered all over other BB related message communities. Is that what the consensus wants here? Don't agree with the moderators' decisions?

Go to other forums and try to ruin their names.

That's what people want?

I'd also like to ask the other admin and mod of the other forum why this was allowed to stand on that board as people not even connected were being ripped apart, while those doing the ripping apart are calling for so much on this board at the same time.

Here it is, the posts in question and some removed that weren't a part of this mess...read the entire sad saga at the link.

Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 24, 2015 at 06:23:26 by AGD

The rumour is, it buckled under the weight of increasingly inane posts. Abnormal service will be resumed shortly. Maybe.

Re(3): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 24, 2015 at 19:11:19 by AGD

Pretty much the same name, but he was banned permanently. Then someone decided to allow him back. As they say, epic fail.

Re(4): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 25, 2015 at 22:50:18 by beachballtwo

That board should be designated as a Brian Wilson board instead of a Beach Boys board. The two main American moderators are both Brian fans with mostly negative views of the Beach Boys and especially Mike. I think even Brian's people know that, and given the fact that board gets way more traffic than the Blueboard, no wonder they had Brian do a Q and A there. I don't know why people who like the touring Beach Boys even bother posting there. It would save time and bother.

Re(5): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 04:54:51 by LeeMarshall

Smiley Smile board currently a downer...is a more appropriate 'heading'.

Hope they 'fix it' soon...'cause right now it's dang close to being an ongoing, unwavering and unceasing waste of time.

At least that's the way it is for me.

Re(6): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 09:04:09 by beachballtwo

They made a very poor choice of moderator replacement last time there was an opening. Perhaps best to leave it at that. I also don't get the whole obsession with PM's on that board. Boards should not really need a PM function, and many if not most music boards don't have them. It also encourages clique-like behavior that goes unseen. Also, when appointing a moderator, it's best to find a person who has a good nature instead of an incredibly thin skin and who takes everything personally, regardless of their point of view on the topics at hand.

Re(7): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 14:58:48 by filledeplage

beachballtwo - I happen to like and respect the mods but posters should be respectful of all The Beach Boys and fellow posters.

We can all have favorites, or not, but should respect the work of all the musicians who have blessed us with their respective contributions.

They are knowledgeable but they shouldn't have to be babysitters or hall monitors.

Re(Cool: Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 27, 2015 at 15:17:25 by beachballtwo

Moderators are supposed to moderate. A fine job would be not allowing that stuff to spiral out of control. But maybe no one with a thick skin and time to read every thread was willing to do that unpaid job. As it is, that board not only discourages good posters from posting, but from reading. I only visit for schaudenfreude, or however you spell it. It is sort of funny.

Re(9): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 28, 2015 at 16:32:59 by Steve Murphy

I don't know enough to make an informed opinion, but I do remember thinking, on a few occasions, that one of the moderators demonstrated somewhat bizarre behaviour.

Re(10): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 28, 2015 at 18:17:36 by beachballtwo

Depends on what you mean by bizarre. But it's more the unseen moderating, or lack of, that is a problem. It is letting a couple of posters or so get away with contributing nothing but a bunch of nonsensical thread trolling. Then the larger problem of people getting too personal and insulting each other and not much getting done about it. A whole other layer of drama involving private messages. But it may be down to the posters themselves. The level of discussion has been going down to a childish level even outside of the trolling and insults. Lots of repetition of subjects and threads that go on for ten pages or more with no info added. It used to be sometimes informative, even for a subject about which pretty much everything has been said.

"Everyones afraid to post on here."
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 14:15:36 by AGD

The two dozen (give or take) responses in this thread would seem to argue strongly against your premise... and if you believe there's bullying here, I strongly suggest you avoid Smiley Smile.

Re(13): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 29, 2015 at 22:30:29 by beachballtwo

I think maybe the Beach Boys as a subject are all talked out. It's all been done. A reunion (while it lasted), Smile completed, now the officially sanctioned Brian biopic. So many books written. So many posts posted on message boards in so many iterations, back to the white board, Male Ego, the Deja news groups, PSML, etc. Enough!

Re(14): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 30, 2015 at 03:20:31 by LeeMarshall

That's it really. Except for new releases and special upcoming events it has ALL been said...dozens upon dozens of times...plus one.

Problem is...we older fans who basically 'went it' alone until we all came together to discover what a mass of humanity we are collectively on-line...don't want to go back to doing 'it' all alone again.

These boards empowered us...as a team. It's why we don't suffer trolls gladly...or do-nothing 'monitors' who won't face the issues which matter.

But ya. It's all been said. All of it.

Re(16): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 3, 2015 at 03:51:38 by LeeMarshall

True. Context is SO key. Resulting contextual ramifications too. Anyway...we all have so much in common. And we fight? About what? About minutia and b.s.

And Mods allow that to occur ad infinitum...and for the incessant baiting to continue? And for the board to collapse under it's own self-inflicted weight of the pointless confrontational loathing?

Couple that with "it's all been said before" and we'll soon be floating on a few rafts over an ever expanding sea of neglect and indifference.

It's our destiny 'filled'.

And I don't like it.

Re(17): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 3, 2015 at 14:36:17 by filledeplage

Lee - historical context is everything in music and art and always has been. The BB's are no different. We've had a lot of "practice" in defense of the music. So, bring it on.

It is important that this nonsense be challenged and that we aren't run off a forum for expressing neutrality and balance with regard the music. The BB's are each, extraordinarily gifted and brought much to that banquet table.

The mods do have a really hard job, balancing "behavior and censorship" - and that must be dealt with. There are too many knowledgeable contributors on that board to have a few, whose behavior is unacceptable to run good posters off the road.

It is our destiny only if we accept it. And I am not accepting it. I've (we've) had a lot of practice.

Re(17): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 3, 2015 at 06:19:54 by beachballtwo

Well, anyone can see for themselves the dysfunctional moderating, when there is a very recent post that runs on for paragraphs, attacking several posters over there by name. And not only does a moderator not remove it or move it, he chimes in, basically agreeing with the guy. I am really not sure why the uber Brian fans don't move over to the Blue board if they hate any type of perceived criticism of Brian and his team. The Blueboard could use the traffic, because it seems to get very few page views, last I looked. They think Brian needs to feel more love from the fans, yet they don't go to his message board instead.

Re(18): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 07:29:28 by AGD

The current problems with Smiley Smile are twofold.

1 - The trolling by Smile Brian & Old Surfer Dude. They contribute nothing and disrupt any given thread with their juvenile, incessant posting on one, threadbare topic... and yet, nothing is done. Happily, in the last 24 hours, the sainted Andrew Hickey has developed a little script you can add to Firefox and Chrome browsers that reduces their twaddle to "This poster is ignored". I made it work in under five minutes, and I'm technologically illiterate. Here 'tis:

http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/

If I had a mortal soul, it would be his in perpetuity.

2 - the appointment of guitarfool2002 as a mod has proven to be a calamitous mistake. As noted above, he's too thin skinned, not even close to impartial, pursues vendettas at brain-numbing length and is not above trying to disrupt a thread by introducing irrelevant points. Billy & Klass (both fine people and excellent mods) have been otherwise occupied of late with real life problems, and that the board has got into its present state with one active mod is surely not coincidental.

Re(19): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 17:57:43 by beachballtwo

I have not posted on that board in well over a year, but when I did participate, I recall getting a PM that indicated guitarfool had a lot of so-called friends on the board. That was before he was appointed moderator. So I do think there are hidden cliques that exist due to the PM function. I'm also not as confident of Billy as most people are. I just have memories of a stunt he pulled during the white/yellow/black board days. I know he was very young then, but it colors my perception. Oh,well, it's not that big of a deal. Most people would not want that gig.

Re(20): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 18:19:04 by filledeplage

BB2 - GF brings a lot of knowledge to the board and I would hate to see any of them go. And these are not first time offenders. GF and the other mods had to go out on a limb to lift the sanctions against the perps.

So now, the behavior has reverted to pre-banning, and unfortunately posters are leaving for no reason other than the constant untenable trolling. They could be regretting that their good faith has been breached. The mods gave reprieves that may have been proven to have been a really bad decision.

All that is needed is enforcement of the existing rules.

Re(21): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 20:05:41 by beachballtwo

There is a difference between being a poster and a moderator. GF was thin skinned and argumentative as a poster. Being informative does not change that basic quality. Not a good quality to have for a mod, which made his selection surprising. No wonder fewer people post there. He has a really low threshold of what he finds to be anti-Brian. He also seems to have been the one who invented the Mike agenda garbage. I am a Brian fan, but I don't get why anyone is required to like NPP or believe that Brian did absolutely everything including pick every guest artist. If Brian had done it all without the assistance of Mr. Joe Thomas, I suspect it would have been a better album than it is.

Re(22): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 22:49:48 by AGD

The thing is, too many posters - mods included - are taking the "look, respect each other, be reasonable and we'll all get along" route. Which is fine, if everyone was respectful and reasonable. Snag is, at least two (three guesses...) aren't. Smile Brian keeps accusing me of having an agenda, which is odd considering his/her agenda is more transparent and vitriolic than any I might have. OSD is just a troll, and for someone in his late 60s, that's (to be polite) unseemly. What many of us cannot fathom is why they seem to have the tacit "protection" of the mods. Maybe the board will have to fall apart before action is taken.

Re(23): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 5, 2015 at 00:27:46 by beachballtwo

I don't think they really are even attempting to warn people to stop, though. They're just refusing to engage while tacitly approving of the two trolls in question. Who don't really write posts, but emoticons and random short babbling. At least one of the mods, who shall remain nameless, discussed going for an after show drink with surfer man, so I think you know why that mod has not banned him.

I think the board is slightly chilled, too, by having associates of Brian and Mike post there, not to mention Brian and Mike themselves going on there for brief times. It justifies people accusing others of having an agenda, as well as the admonishment that people need to be more respectful in case sensitive Brian reads it from time to time. No one will ever say that Mike Love is particularly sensitive, so maybe they figure it's okay to say bad things about him, continuously and without end and to the point of boring-ness, until even Mike dislikers get tired of it. How many woots, ,and myke luvs and brooth posts can anyone bear to read?

Re(24): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 5, 2015 at 01:30:41 by filledeplage

BB2 - People in this BB sphere are bound to cross paths socially. There were so few "like minded" that it is such a treat to meet up and discuss the music that has occupied a corner of your life. And the risk being a huge fan, is that you could talk all night, after "last call."

What gets me is the basic disrespect that some (and everyone has his or her own preferences) have such that everything is "personal" - and they can't get beyond these differences and have a civil, adult conversation. This band came from the "same place." And you are talking about someone's family. It is classless and tasteless.

When you're a mod, there is a "line"just like the classroom, and mods are on one side and posters are on the other. And, maybe it is easier to ask a buddy to please "dial it back" because the mods get the blowback, and these guys volunteer their time and talent.

But at a certain point, even a volunteer needs to "pull the plug" on an acquaintance if that person becomes so disruptive it taints the whole board and becomes contentious. And if the poster was a true friend, he/she would just leave and not compromise the friendship to the point that it hurt the cred of the mod.

Should nothing happen, I guess the words of my mother echo, if band members are reading the board, and they should just "consider the source." Just write them off.

Re(25): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 5, 2015 at 23:26:45 by beachballtwo

Old surfer dude changed his screen name recently to override the ignore hack. I don't think the mods would ban him no matter what he does.

Re(15): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on November 30, 2015 at 11:30:48 by jh1522

Sadly I Have to agree with you, it has all been said over and over again.

But my point was and still is?, if people were allowed to make some harmless comment's, or try and get a discussion going about some BBs album, concert, songs, or god forbid just make an honest opinion about the band we love, I really do think we would have a lot more people posting on here.

After all we are all on here for the same reason.
Because were all very passionate about the BBs.

Re(12): Smley Smile board currently down
Posted on December 4, 2015 at 09:43:48 by Val

Fair comment, John, but I thin the couple of aforementioned folk on the SS Board go way beyond having a "fun discussion" and turn everything into, well...have a look for yourself.

These days, I never post on the SS Board and don't look at it very much at all, either. The reason? Basically, the two Andrews as stated above have said it all.

God Bless Billy and Klass, though. Good Guys.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:58:15 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx