gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 10:17:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whennn was the last time Mike got to write with Brian alone in a room?  (Read 32821 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »

How do you think Mike (and Bruce) turned down the invitation to this event? Serious question. Was there a mass email chain or group text which Mike (or an assistant) was copied on, and Mike didn't reply and was simply just a no-show? Or do you think he politely turned down the dinner? Man it had to be an awkward moment if he just snuck out after the final song and didn't say a word to anyone. I've heard of that type of stuff happening in other bands (like James Iha at the end of the final Smashing Pumpkins gig), and it seems like it would be hard to be received as anything but very hurtful by others.

Not that I really expect anyone on this board to know, or to honestly share...

If I'm not mistaken, Mike and Bruce had a show booked in the US just days after the last Beach Boys show. So they were probably going back to meet up with the band etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »

How do you think Mike (and Bruce) turned down the invitation to this event? Serious question. Was there a mass email chain or group text which Mike (or an assistant) was copied on, and Mike didn't reply and was simply just a no-show? Or do you think he politely turned down the dinner? Man it had to be an awkward moment if he just snuck out after the final song and didn't say a word to anyone. I've heard of that type of stuff happening in other bands (like James Iha at the end of the final Smashing Pumpkins gig), and it seems like it would be hard to be received as anything but very hurtful by others.

If I'm not mistaken, Mike and Bruce had a show booked in the US just days after the last Beach Boys show. So they were probably going back to meet up with the band etc.

Good to know that they had their priorities straight. Yeah, because meeting with Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks for dinner would not be considered meeting up with the band anymore, the moment the last UK show ended.

It's like the old turn-into-a-pumpkin-at-midnight trick, only it was the old turn-into-ex-Beach-Boys-at-midnight trick. Maybe there could have been one of those New York New Year's Eve midnight tickers that counted down microseconds to the exact moment the set end date came to be.

I wonder; were they still considered part of the band while the final song of the night had reverb trailing off? Was it once any one of the band members started walking off the stage? Or did they have to be completely outside of the venue past security for them to no longer be considered part of the band? Parameters like these matter to avoid any confusion. I'm sure nobody would have wanted Brian, Al, or David to inadvertently think they were Beach Boys any longer than the exact moment the set end date blossomed into fruition.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:17:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »

Well Totten was at the dinner
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »

Well Totten was at the dinner

Didn't realize that!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »

It's my impressions that the bands -- current and former BB and BW -- get along pretty well. For that matter, I think Dave gets along pretty well with everyone too.

The dynamic here is between Brian and Mike, and to a certain degree between Al and the other two. Al grated on some folks' nerves in the past, but it looks like he and Brian have ultimately come to value one another. Mike and Brian are the oil and water of this whole enterprise, the totally different substances that turn into tasty salad dressing when you shake the bottle really hard.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »

As more of a Beach Boys fan than a "Brianista" or "Kokomoron" I would imagine it's not easy at this point for either Brian or Mike to feel comfortable around each other enough to not just avoid the issue altogether. I think when Mike talks about getting Brian alone in a room, he means under the auspice of there being an album in production and a schedule etc etc .... He also knows or likely feels that people in Brian's camp simply don't like him as so many fans don't (dislike is too mild a word in some fan's case) ... It's sad, but not exactly uncommon.. I have family members who've hardly said more than a couple words to each other in decades. Even at big family gatherings, they'll simply just avoid being in the same room/part of the house at the same time.

Maybe Mike should settle for getting Brian alone in a hallway?

It's been done. The hallway thing I mean.

So I don't know what was going on but I also think Mike means this. Mike seems to have had the impression that was the plan that he and Brian discussed pre-C50/TWGMTR.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »

It's my impressions that the bands -- current and former BB and BW -- get along pretty well. For that matter, I think Dave gets along pretty well with everyone too.

The dynamic here is between Brian and Mike, and to a certain degree between Al and the other two. Al grated on some folks' nerves in the past, but it looks like he and Brian have ultimately come to value one another. Mike and Brian are the oil and water of this whole enterprise, the totally different substances that turn into tasty salad dressing when you shake the bottle really hard.

Eat your veggies and whole grains too!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »

As more of a Beach Boys fan than a "Brianista" or "Kokomoron" I would imagine it's not easy at this point for either Brian or Mike to feel comfortable around each other enough to not just avoid the issue altogether. I think when Mike talks about getting Brian alone in a room, he means under the auspice of there being an album in production and a schedule etc etc .... He also knows or likely feels that people in Brian's camp simply don't like him as so many fans don't (dislike is too mild a word in some fan's case) ... It's sad, but not exactly uncommon.. I have family members who've hardly said more than a couple words to each other in decades. Even at big family gatherings, they'll simply just avoid being in the same room/part of the house at the same time.

Maybe Mike should settle for getting Brian alone in a hallway?

It's been done. The hallway thing I mean.

So I don't know what was going on but I also think Mike means this. Mike seems to have had the impression that was the plan that he and Brian discussed pre-C50/TWGMTR.

Wasn't the whole VDP in place of Mike as the main collaborator on SMiLE (where Brian reneged on Brian's prior make-good "promise" to Mike) enough of a hint that maybe promises like that shouldn't be expected to be kept, or taken as an absolute?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »

As someone else mentioned, Totten is at that end-of-the-tour dinner. You can also see Tim Bonhomme right up front, from Mike’s band. He was the tour manager (not sure if I’m getting that terminology exactly right) on C50.

I forget the precise date that dinner pic was taken, and I do recall that Mike was back doing a gig with Stamos and the licensed version of the “Beach Boys”  within a couple days of the Wembley C50 gig. But if Totten and Bonhomme are at that dinner, I don’t think it was specifically an imminent Mike licensed-BB gig that was the reason Mike and Bruce weren’t there. I recall that that first post-C50 Mike gig had his regular (at the time) touring lineup including Totten and Bonhomme.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »

As someone else mentioned, Totten is at that end-of-the-tour dinner. You can also see Tim Bonhomme right up front, from Mike’s band. He was the tour manager (not sure if I’m getting that terminology exactly right) on C50.

I forget the precise date that dinner pic was taken, and I do recall that Mike was back doing a gig with Stamos and the licensed version of the “Beach Boys”  within a couple days of the Wembley C50 gig. But if Totten and Bonhomme are at that dinner, I don’t think it was specifically an imminent Mike licensed-BB gig that was the reason Mike and Bruce weren’t there. I recall that that first post-C50 Mike gig had his regular (at the time) touring lineup including Totten and Bonhomme.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14425.0.html

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »

Wasn't Cowsill the drummer in C50 ??   I don't recognize him in the pic.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »

I'd hazard a guess that maybe Mike and Brian's wives are part of the reason for the estrangement, and Mike's unwillingness to be the second banana. 
KDS
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

Mike "Brian, do we really have to do 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times'?"

Brian "Mike, if I have to sing background vocals on 'Kokomo,' then yes we do."

Mike (whispers) "After the last UK show, I'm so outta here." 
Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2015, 12:52:02 PM »

Shaking the bottle really hard and tossing the salad.

I guess we've found another thing for Bruce to do.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »

Hi Pinder... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

I'd hazard a guess that maybe Mike and Brian's wives are part of the reason for the estrangement, and Mike's unwillingness to be the second banana. 

To who? Melinda? Because Mike was definitely the front man for the C50 shows I saw. Perhaps he resented the fact that Brian got more applause.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »

Shaking the bottle really hard and tossing the salad.

I guess we've found another thing for Bruce to do.

So, Bruce likes tossed salad?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »

Mike was the frontman for the C50 show, but was definitely over-shadowed by Al and Brian on the TWGMTR.  I think his diminished presence on the record is because his voice sounds old, and his lyrics were weak, but he probably has a very different view of things.   
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »

we have to escape from these sad threads about how the BB broke up. . . . .this is like "No Exit," an existential horror. . . . .so sad, and I am not better than others; i can't let it go either. . . ..

they should have worked something out. . . .that's the dull platitude I am reduced to
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »

Mike and his damn room. Let him go into a room with Bruce. I'm sure we'll get some great new hits. LOL
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

we have to escape from these sad threads about how the BB broke up. . . . .this is like "No Exit," an existential horror. . . . .so sad, and I am not better than others; i can't let it go either. . . ..

they should have worked something out. . . .that's the dull platitude I am reduced to

Especially since they all wanted to discuss it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »

Especially since they all wanted to discuss it.

oh gosh; the elephant rears it's ugly head again

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »

Can't there be a button for us all to push that simply posts the famous Jack Reilly statement?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »

Mike and his damn room. Let him go into a room with Bruce. I'm sure we'll get some great new hits. LOL

I don't know why the "mythic" room should be considered to be anything but Brian's room. He wrote a song about it! It's Brian's choice who gets to enter the room.
Bruces Shorts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »

I don't know why the "mythic" room should be considered to be anything but Brian's room. He wrote a song about it! It's Brian's choice who gets to enter the room.

I think Mike basically means Brian's office in Hollywood where they wrote Warmth Of The Sun ......... An office, which we can all assume, is long gone .....

Sad. This whole thing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx