gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 11:50:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Served  (Read 1333 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2024, 08:05:09 PM »

Does anyone remember the appearance with Mike promoted years back that never happened? This looks related.

https://youtu.be/2dXl2IFZvyc?si=7Pi2UYYLzjnsWioX

Edit: This show Jones Beach.

http://jonesbeach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=430:the-beach-boys-july-5-2014&catid=56:concerts-2014&Itemid=100054
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 10:16:57 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 01:45:26 PM »

Seriously? This is about the Jones Beach dustup 10 years ago? How can you tell?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 03:48:37 PM »

Seriously? This is about the Jones Beach dustup 10 years ago? How can you tell?

The article mentions it pertains to a show where they tried to get Al to appear with Mike and David Marks. The only time we know of since the reunion tour (other than that Ella Awards gig) where they tried to get Al to appear with Mike and David was at that Jones Beach 2014 gig.

I'm curious what the statute of limitations is on such actions. It had been over nine years as of when that video was supposedly shot.

From what I've heard about the Jones Beach debacle, I don't know that the guy bringing this suit would have much success.

Separately, as I'm sure someone explained to Al if he didn't already know, you can't evade a process server by just not agreeing to take the papers.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 03:51:12 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 08:31:11 PM »

Whoops, missed the article link. I see it now.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 08:42:32 PM »

Was quite a story on this board at the time.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17563.0.html

Al bailed first post on page 8. He even had it on his site that he would be there. Further in the thread it is indicated Al was put out that the invitation to perform had come from Live Nation, not Mike, so he cancelled.

Could get messy.

Of course Jones Beach might be totally unrelated to this case.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:57:53 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 09:16:38 PM »

I can't imagine this *isn't* pertaining to that Jones Beach gig. The only thing that gives me pause is that it's 9 (and now 10) years after the fact. But we're also not privy to what has happened prior to this as far as legal action. I find it hard to believe they have been unsuccessfully trying to serve Al for a decade. He's been out in public on many tours, etc. So it would still seem this is a relatively recent court action, which is odd.

Unless there really is some sort of unknown more recent gig where a guy tried to book Al into a Mike show. But that seems unlikely.

As I mentioned, I suspect it's not as clear cut as Al signing a deal and bailing. That's not what I was hearing back then, including some elements that were not publicized. If I had to guess, "tentative" agreements are being construed (by the plaintiff it would seem) as full "in writing" agreements.

I also have to say, again, that where the thing could potentially also fall apart is how the guy would prove that having Al's name on the advertising would have resulted in a ton more sales/money, and what costs he incurred *because and only because* of having Al on the billing. Even the ads with Al's name were ads that presumably would have been taken out even if he hadn't done the gig.

I also believe, based on my recollection from the time, that the show had already been booked prior to approaching Al. It's not like the whole gig was devised as a semi-Beach Boys reunion. The impression I got was that a larger-scale show than the average show size for Mike had been booked by whomever, with other acts on the bill, and ticket sales were sagging, and somebody came up with the idea to ask Al (and Dave) to appear, to essentially try to sell it as a "Beach Boys Reunion."

I can picture some mid-level concert promoter thinking, after the debacle that was the end of the 50th reunion in 2012, thinking he could reconstitute that lineup for one gig, only to find it wasn't so easy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:18:39 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 03:32:22 PM »

Good insight as always HeyJude.

Just curious, without naming names, from what sort of places do you “hear” about such things? Principals, their families, backing members, management, historians and scholars? We never did get the scoop as to why the Feel Flows set was inexplicably delayed a couple years back, but recall you knew.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 07:45:46 PM »

It is doubtful this lawsuit against Al is related to the Jones Beach show from last decade. There is a backstory to that one, which may or may not come out publicly some day, but I think this one is from an autograph signing event held last year.

Some info that is not made clear in the few articles about the suit: The man suing Al, Mead Chasky, does NOT book concerts and is not that kind of a booking agent. He deals in the collectible autograph business, mostly for athletes but also for other celebrities. People deep in the sports memorabilia business know his name and have known him for decades, as he was involved in a semi-scandal involving former MLB player Darryl Strawberry related to selling autographs back in the 90's, as he was very closely involved with and represented players from the Mets and their 1986 World Series win.

Anyway, he's a marketing agent for pro athletes who creates and books autograph signing events for them. He does not book music shows or concerts or represent artists in that way. He is a marketing agent who represents athletes (mostly) in regards to booking autograph signings and selling their autographed memorabilia.

Chasky had this autograph signing event booked in April 2023 with Mike and David:

Chasky's suit against Al was filed in August 2023.

I'm not taking sides, not editorializing, etc...just stating public facts to clarify what seems to be going on and the reasons behind that video with Al and a process server. Again, considering who the plaintiff/filing party is and what he does as his business, it would not make sense to have it be related to the Jones Beach concert almost a full decade ago, but would line up with an autograph signing event organized and promoted by Chasky 4 months prior to the initial filing of the lawsuit that featured David and Mike, as stated in the lawsuit.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 07:48:04 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 08:33:28 PM »

That makes more sense than an attempted 10 year old concert booking that went awry.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 03:59:46 PM »

It is doubtful this lawsuit against Al is related to the Jones Beach show from last decade. There is a backstory to that one, which may or may not come out publicly some day, but I think this one is from an autograph signing event held last year.

Some info that is not made clear in the few articles about the suit: The man suing Al, Mead Chasky, does NOT book concerts and is not that kind of a booking agent. He deals in the collectible autograph business, mostly for athletes but also for other celebrities. People deep in the sports memorabilia business know his name and have known him for decades, as he was involved in a semi-scandal involving former MLB player Darryl Strawberry related to selling autographs back in the 90's, as he was very closely involved with and represented players from the Mets and their 1986 World Series win.

Anyway, he's a marketing agent for pro athletes who creates and books autograph signing events for them. He does not book music shows or concerts or represent artists in that way. He is a marketing agent who represents athletes (mostly) in regards to booking autograph signings and selling their autographed memorabilia.

Chasky had this autograph signing event booked in April 2023 with Mike and David:

Chasky's suit against Al was filed in August 2023.

I'm not taking sides, not editorializing, etc...just stating public facts to clarify what seems to be going on and the reasons behind that video with Al and a process server. Again, considering who the plaintiff/filing party is and what he does as his business, it would not make sense to have it be related to the Jones Beach concert almost a full decade ago, but would line up with an autograph signing event organized and promoted by Chasky 4 months prior to the initial filing of the lawsuit that featured David and Mike, as stated in the lawsuit.

That indeed makes far more sense as far as timing. Excellent sleuthing and clarification.

It would have been interesting, as you can probably count on one or two hands the amount of public appearances Al has made with Mike post-1998 outside of the reunion tour. The 2001 Grammy thing, the 2006 Capitol rooftop event, the 2014 Ella awards, 2018 Spotify interview, the 2023 Grammy salute, and maybe a few other things I'm forgetting. He did that "California Hall of Fame" thing in 2012 with Dave and Mike, but that was kind of 50th-reunion-adjacent.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 08:02:47 PM »

Thanks GF. Sounds more like it. 👍
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 12:35:26 AM »

Was hoping there'd be more details in the court filings...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:36:28 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx