gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680989 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 10:49:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'That Lucky Old Sun' A new Beach Boy album?  (Read 10266 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

In light of recent events such as the Brian not recording this solo and last weeks legal situation, any chance an offer has been made by a label to record this as a Beach Boy album?

Not having seen this performed, would/ could it be any good with Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce and David singing it?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »

Interesting theory... It's probably just wishful thinking though... But I really hope you're right.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

Seems unlikely that Mike would consider that as an option. He'd want creative input and potential lyrical ones at that - and it's pretty damn near complete as it is. I'm sure Dave and Alan would support Brian 110% but the current BB 'touring' unit would almost certainly veto such an idea. They'd push for new Wilson/Love compositions in the hope it would rekindle those glory glory days ...
... and this is even supposing they DO agree to work together again !

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »

I raised this question a few weeks ago in another thread as a joke.  LOL

Though I wouldn't "shun" the idea, I think it is highly unlikely.  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »

The reasons for the postponement of the "TLOS" sessions has ab-so-lute-ly nothing to do with the recent settlement.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

Ok AGD. We are out of the loop but thanks.

I agree...unlikely.
The thing I fine interesting though is a effort seems to be being made by Brian to exercise some demons. Look back to him sitting behind his key-board reading the lyrics after years of inactivity to the shows early this year where he is standing at the mic minus the teleprompter. Music wise we now have a version of SMiLE. Who would have thought?

But one old demon remains. Working on a good BB album. TLOS could be it from the reviews from the UK....and with a VD Parks contribution to boot.

Just seems to be the opportunity to put things right.  
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »

Start from scratch - I'll take another 'California Calling' any day of the week....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:31:39 PM by NightHider » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:59:22 PM »

Out of interest. As TLOS was a commissioned work, who owns it?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »

Please, for the sake of the quality of the music, no BB reunion! Any creative input from the Lovester would sink TLOS. Plus, we really don't want to see Brian being berated and trotted out like a circus bear like in the 70s, do we? The Beach Boys as a creative entity died with Dennis and as a viable touring act died with Carl and it should stay that way. I wouldn't mind a reunion as long as Mike wasn't involved (unless he publicly apologizes for the time he confronted VDP about the lyrics to Cabin Essence, AND MEANS IT!, and admits he was wrong about SMiLE, and literally kisses Brian's feet-and ass), but that will never be the case, so I'm happy with the Brian and Al reunion from last year.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »

Please, for the sake of the quality of the music, no BB reunion! Any creative input from the Lovester would sink TLOS. Plus, we really don't want to see Brian being berated and trotted out like a circus bear like in the 70s, do we? The Beach Boys as a creative entity died with Dennis and as a viable touring act died with Carl and it should stay that way. I wouldn't mind a reunion as long as Mike wasn't involved (unless he publicly apologizes for the time he confronted VDP about the lyrics to Cabin Essence, AND MEANS IT!, and admits he was wrong about SMiLE, and literally kisses Brian's feet-and ass), but that will never be the case, so I'm happy with the Brian and Al reunion from last year.

But how do you really feel about Mike.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »

In light of recent events such as the Brian not recording this solo and last weeks legal situation, any chance an offer has been made by a label to record this as a Beach Boy album?

No.

Not having seen this performed, would/ could it be any good with Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce and David singing it?

No.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »

While I'd love to see a reunion, let Brian do his own thing with TLOS. Let the reunion be on its own terms, don't let TLOS be the reason for a reunion.

But.....if there's a picture of a reunion with Michael kissing Brian's feet and ass, well......that's gonna be right up there with the R&RHOF speech. Hell, Mike might actually do it.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 11:09:08 PM »

Actually I think any of the Beach Boys solo albums would have been better with the group. That is if they let whoever's in charge of the project lead. It won't happen but the vocal blend is always lost when they apart.

That's the whole problem with the Beach Boys really is the politics. If they could have just released more after 1980 there would have been no need to fight so hard over album space. Certainly something like P.O.B. stands on it's own but could you imagine how much better the Beach Boys late 70's albums would be with more of Dennis' work.
Jason
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:15:11 PM »

Brian's first solo album would have made an EXCELLENT Beach Boys album, I agree very much with that.

As far as the issue of Dennis or Carl or even Al having more material on the LPs after Holland, it's a case of woulda coulda shoulda.....if they woulda had more of each member's songs on the albums they coulda been more diverse and it shoulda happened. But of course.....this IS the Beach Boys we're dealing with.

Let's just be glad that they even bother to make solo music and tour.
XY
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »

TLOS wouldn't work as Beach Boys record IMO. It's partly based on Brian's life - "Oxygen to the Brain", "Midnight's Another Day" & "I'm Going Home" with the boys? No way, that's more egomusic than PET SOUNDS was!
If I were Brian & Co, with all the positive if not euphoric reactions, I would take my time and add some more songs to make one hell of an album.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:17:41 AM »

I wouldn not want to see a Beach Boys reunion of any kind. That Lucky Old Sun - that's what BW is capable of on his own. Santa Goes To Kokomo - that's what Mike Love is capable of. I might be exaggerating (as I probably liked Cool Head Warm Heart a tad bit more than the new recording of The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll) but for whatever reason the very idea of these guys reuniting as "The Beach Boys" strikes me as weird and even obscene. Sure I'd love to hear them harmonize any time, but the group vocals of BW's band aren't too shabby either and they suit the Lucky Old Sun material quite well. Not to mention that the last time ML and his rhyming dictionary did an even half-decent lyric was most likely over 30 years ago.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 01:43:07 AM »

TLOS wouldn't work as Beach Boys record IMO. It's partly based on Brian's life

So are the best BB albums - (Friends, Pet Sounds, Today, Surf's Up, etc.) and more specifically many of the BB's best songs. 

I wouldn not want to see a Beach Boys reunion of any kind.

I would! Absolutely.  I would think of it for what it was - Brian with hopefully David, Al, Mike, and Bruce.  Having them involved would likely enhance the result.  It would certainly get more attention (and of course sales) that way.  Anyway there was one reunion (of some kind) on the Capital rooftop, and that didn't hurt - did it?  So I would think there is a chance of some artistic colaboration like this.

- As Time Goes By   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:46:05 AM by mikee » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 03:07:29 AM »

Maybe I'm just afraid they'd be doing something along the lines of Summer in Paradise. I think they were on a good way when they recorded some of that Wilson/Paley material in the mid-nineties, though not all of it was great. That could have been quite a great reunion, but of course it didn't happen that way.

After 1970, by far the most touching Brian moments were as far removed from the Love formula as one could get, be it 'Til I Die, Still I Dream of It, or Midnight's Another Day. As much as I love the Beach Boys (after all, I totally prefer their 60s output over any solo recording, POB and Smile included), I just don't think a reunion could deliver something comparable to those precious moments of genius.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »

Don't fight, boys. Outside our little world, the demand for new music by Brian or even the Beach Boys is very, very small. If finished and released, TLOS will basically have the same reviews as GIOMH, same sales....

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
MBE
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 04:41:05 AM »

Again I do realise that they have not proven themselves able to be a fully working unit since the early 70's. Still I can't deny that I miss the sound of Brian, Mike, and Al singing together. I got a chance to see Mike and Bruce at their best when the played Chicago with an orchestra last year and did a mixed set, and I also got a chance to one of Brian's excellent Smile shows. Yet both times I missed the other guys to some extent. Since I got to see them on the 1993 box set tour I know what they could still do together when working on something worthy. It's again sad that they cannot sdrop their ego's and entorouges for a while and just sing together one last time on something worthwhile.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 04:45:50 AM »

Don't fight, boys. Outside our little world, the demand for new music by Brian or even the Beach Boys is very, very small. If finished and released, TLOS will basically have the same reviews as GIOMH, same sales....

SMiLE went to #13 in the US and #7 in the UK, Sounds of Summer went double platinum and the rooftop reunion made the TV news around the world... So with a clever promotional campaign, I think a 'reunion album' could be a hit...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 05:03:06 AM »

At least there are more people looking for new "Beach Boys"-material than waiting for a BW-solorelease outside of the fanworld. Although their name was put in mud more than once, they still are a legend and as Shelter said, there is some kind of interest in the media.
I think that a reunion would have it's best chances now. On the capitol-tower Mike and Brian mentioned that they got some tough management but that there is a chance that they would tour together again. I also think it's interesting that Brian was there when the court was settled. I don't think he cared that much at other times.
I don't know if it happens, I would love to see and hear them one last time, but I think chances are better now with all the lawsuits being over, than even in June '06 when the Rooftop-Reunion happened.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »

I think even as a Brian solo album TLOS would do better than GIOMH because:

-The music is better.
-The live shows got good reviews. How many of the people who attended the RFH would buy the CD?
-GIOMH was released in the shadow of BWPS (?)
-Maybe after the success of SMiLE, Brian has more fans now...including me and some friends that I managed to convert.

Maybe it could even go top 20, at least in the UK.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:57 PM »

I have no desire to see or hear a Beach Boys reunion - Brian has not been a "touring" Beach Boy for 30 years.

The Beach Boys (especially Mike) should be kept as far away from TLOS as possible - other side of the planet - or even better shove the Boys in the space shuttle and send them to the other side of Pluto where they can sing Duke Of Earl 'til their heart's are content (and I don't have to hear it)!

TLOS is by far Brian's most consistent work of his solo career, in fact his most consistent work since the late 60s early 70s. Unlike every Brian and Beach Boy album since Pet Sounds and SMiLE which might have zero, one, or at best two, classic and eternal Brian songs TLOS is a consistent body of work in which for the most part, the quality and depth of material is high and does not scrape the bottom of the barrel. I have learnt over 30 years to be happy with one classic Brian song per album - TLOS makes me joyous.

Making the Top 40 or whatever is irrelevant and if it should happen it is simply a bonus. Now is about Brian's body of work and ultimately his legacy.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »

The Beach Boys (especially Mike) should be kept as far away from TLOS as possible - other side of the planet - or even better shove the Boys in the space shuttle and send them to the other side of Pluto where they can sing Duke Of Earl 'til their heart's are content (and I don't have to hear it)!

I think it would be a good thing if Mike and Al wouldn't get any creative input, but I'd love to hear the voices of all surviving Beach Boys on one record again. So if someone would offer Mike and Al (and Bruce) a 'take it or leave it' deal to be on Brian's album and they'd accept it - I don't see what could be so bad about that.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx