gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 03:16:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun : When do we get a release!?  (Read 7539 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

It's too bad that there's just not much money in records and CDs anymore - the real money is in touring. It makes me wonder if we are ever going to see a release of That Lucky Old Sun. I LOVE SMiLe 2004 and I like Gettin' In Over My Head (although it almost sounds as if its in Mono, and it took a while for me to get into) - but TLOS looks like it could really blow all three of Brian's non-SMiLe solo releases out of the water! He should just release the damn thing!

On a happier note, the "Arctic Tale" version of "Live Let Live" is now available for download from iTunes as a single track. Finally.

- B00ts
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

It's too bad that there's just not much money in records and CDs anymore - the real money is in touring. It makes me wonder if we are ever going to see a release of That Lucky Old Sun. I LOVE SMiLe 2004 and I like Gettin' In Over My Head (although it almost sounds as if its in Mono, and it took a while for me to get into) - but TLOS looks like it could really blow all three of Brian's non-SMiLe solo releases out of the water! He should just release the damn thing!

On a happier note, the "Arctic Tale" version of "Live Let Live" is now available for download from iTunes as a single track. Finally.

I think TLOS will get a proper studio release, it just may not be quite as soon as we would like.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »

Or, perhaps, not in the format that those of us in Europe and Australia have been lucky enough to see.

As it stands - at roughly 38 minutes (or whatever) - its not an "album".

It certainly deserves release - it is a significant body of work in Brian's solo canon - one reassuring tidbit I keep reminding myself of is that there must be some quality soundboard recordings in the hand's of Brian's people .........
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »

I don't see why that would stand in the way of a studio recording...I doubt any BB albums in the 60's were any longer than that.  Heck I think Smiley is something like 24 minutes.

The work is good enough that it deserves a proper studio recording...a live recording would be okay too I suppose, but Brian is the king of the studio.  That is where his music is meant to be recorded.  Given the quality of his recent releases, I think it could easily be his best original studio album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »

It's too bad that there's just not much money in records and CDs anymore...

I hope it's not a money issue. I just hope it isn't.

Brian has enough money for himself, his kids, his kids' kids, and his kids' kids' kids.

At this stage of his life and career, I had wished Brian would be recording music as an expression of his art, as a labor of love, to be creative, because he enjoys it, because that's what Brian Wilson is meant to do - make music. Please don't let financial considerations come before those other things...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:39:54 PM »

Dennis' "Pacific Ocean Blue" is only 37:25.  It's an album!
Brian could easily add a minute or two to TLOS by including the extra verse (and I think there was an extra chorus) on "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" that's on the demo, and I think "Live Let Live" is longer on the "Artic Tale" even without the intro.  And "Midnight's Another Day" has another repeat of the piano motif at the end on the demo.  I haven't timed it out, but all that could add up to at least a minute, I would think.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

Wow, so neither Sgt. Pepper or Pet Sounds is an album, either?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:41:47 PM »

Ech. I expect the album will come out at some point. The delay has been so far, what? A month? Let's give it a good 6-7 months, hear what BW says in interviews for the European tour, and then start griping.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »

Brian has enough money for himself, his kids, his kids' kids, and his kids' kids' kids.

I used to think that, but sometimes... I wonder. Undecided

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

I used to think that, but sometimes... I wonder. Undecided

I would really doubt that Brian has any financial problems at all.  I mean, if Britney Spears can collect $750,000 a month for sitting around doing nothing, I'm sure Brian's royalties from old BB hits must be substantial.  The albums still sell, especially the compilation albums of the last few years.  I can't imagine Brian ever hurting for money, so I don't think that would be a reason to not record TLOS.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »

I'm sure Brian's royalties from old BB hits must be substantial. 

They would be, if he still held the publishing. But thanks to Murry, he doesn't.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »

I'm sure Brian's royalties from old BB hits must be substantial. 

They would be, if he still held the publishing. But thanks to Murry, he doesn't.

Even without the publishing, his performance royalties must still be worth a lot though I would think, right? 

Obviously if he still held the publishing he would be a lot richer than he already is...I'd be curious to know what that catalogue is valued at today.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 09:37:35 AM »

Last figure I recall quoted (a few years ago) was $300 million.

Brian gets a good income  from the mechanicals, but he's got three houses to keep up, three kids & nannies, two horses and 13 (at the last count) dogs.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »

Brian gets a good income  from the mechanicals, but he's got three houses to keep up, three kids & nannies, two horses and 13 (at the last count) dogs.

Wow that is absolutely insane...Murray really screwed him over on that one.  Had Brian held onto that he would probably be one of the richest musicians alive, behind only maybe McCartney.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »

You forgot the most expensive AGD....One wife! Grin
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

38 minutes or so for an album may have been acceptable in the 60s & 70s but not now. Times, markets and "consumer awareness" have changed substantially - just stop to think how many "bonus tracks" would have to be added to the Japanese market just to make it accepatble...  Roll Eyes - or - just imagine all the blood and guts that would be splattered across the blueboard!!  Wink

At 38 minutes just putting out an album would be seen as ripping off consumers no matter if the quality is far greater than the quantity, far too many people just "don't get it" when it comes to art and the artist. If 38 minutes is to be the length of the piece then some greater form on multi media presentation should be considered. Its time for Brian's marketing people and some multi media techies to start thinking outside the circle - TLOS is certainly a piece of work which lends itself to exploring new media.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:11:48 PM by TonyW » Logged
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »

This year's big Grammy winner, Amy Winehouse, did it with a 36 minute CD.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »

Oh well - there you go - I'm screwed!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »

Money issues with Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys..Kinda doubt that lol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »

Maybe thats why theyre doing all their shows in the UK...to get all those suckers to pay for the release. Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »

Hell, every Weezer album barely seems to crack the 30 minute mark.

That'd explain why he keeps selling those houses.  Think he needs to find a new accountant....

Wow that is absolutely insane...Murray really screwed him over on that one.  Had Brian held onto that he would probably be one of the richest musicians alive, behind only maybe McCartney

What I've never understood is why when Brian sued, why didn't he sue for the *copyright*, as opposed to a finanical settlement?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »

Oh well - there you go - I'm screwed!!

No, your point/post was an excellent one. It indirectly reiterates the point I was trying to make.

TLOS is (and sounds like) an attempt at "art", as opposed to a CD full of potential singles to get Brian back on the radio. If TLOS times in at 38 minutes, and that's what the piece calls for, then that's how it should come out.

But noooooooooooooooo, that's not good enough because it won't make enough money. See, they're thinking like 1966-67 again. They still haven't learned their lesson. The $$ comes before the artistic vision - again.

Your idea was a good one. Maybe they could release the 38 minute TLOS with a bonus CD or DVD of something. At least it wouldn't be compromising Brian's art.

And BTW, yeah, Brian does have three houses. Add up the value(s) of those three houses and subtract what he owes. I bet there's plenty of equity there. Real estate is one of the best investments there is. It increases in value all the time. Do you know anybody who sold their house for less than what they paid for it? Brian's loaded, unless Melinda made some horrible investments.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »

Do you know anybody who sold their house for less than what they paid for it? Brian's loaded, unless Melinda made some horrible investments.
The latter part of that statement may be key...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

What is this obsession with album length on this thread? Do you all actually think anyone cares about album length? The vast majority of the albums by new artists that I get are between 35 and 45 minutes. If TLOS were to clock in around 38, that's on the short end of normal, but it's normal.

There is no requirement for an album. There is no real standard, other than just the mathematical average, I guess. And I've never heard anyone say they were ripped off by a good album that is too short. Conversely, I hear--and far more often dish out--complaints about albums that are too long all the time. Unnecessarily repetitive, too many filler songs, too much boring soloing, or as was common in hip hop (and with Prince) for a long time, little skits between songs.

If the reason that it's got a 38 minute running time is what is holding TLOS back--which, by the way, nobody actually said, it was just a discussion brought on by a post on the initial thread with the misguided assumption that 38 minutes is somehow too short--it's without question the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »

6 out of 23 replies is considered an obsession?

Switch to decaf, Luther. Smokin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:32:35 PM by Jonas Mcflonuz » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx