gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681047 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 08:37:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: Stamos, Love, Johnston  (Read 80717 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »

The setlist is up on lastfm from Seaworld...nothing surprising but, has anyone seen any from the other Florida shows? Curious as to any changes.

Set list for Hard Rock Live, Hollywood, FL 2/18/13

Nothing new, if not the separation of SloopJB and WIBNice.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »

As I expected. No 3 album last year?  Nada!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2013, 04:41:35 AM »

Well, I'd love if their recent work would get some promotion. But I doubt Brian, Al and David will play anything from TWGMTR

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2013, 06:03:19 AM »

How long before people start going apeshit because "Mike is stealing the setlist from the C50 tour?"
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »

I don't know if it has been posted before:

Full SeaWorld show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81sslMEFf8c

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

Full SeaWorld show:

Thanks!

The new break in "Do it again" (here at 4:00) makes you realize how special the last year was. This can't compare with the full harmony sound that was part of The Beach Boys' shows.

How long before people start going apeshit because "Mike is stealing the setlist from the C50 tour?"

Cheesy

But I guess people will complain that he and Bruce seem to wear 50th anniversary celebration hats

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2013, 09:57:46 AM »

Full SeaWorld show:

Cool, thanks for sharing that.  On a side note, the lone comment posted to that video should come as no surprise...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »

Nor should the second.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »

Nor should the second.

Thumbs Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »

Let the man speak his mind! Already got run off here for the same thing IMO.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:08:43 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »

Let the man speak his mind! Already got run off here for the same thing IMO.

No-one's stopping him speaking his mind, though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »

It was a pretty good concert. The harmonies seemed a little thin. Obviously I'd gotten a little too used to hearing Al in the blend again.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »

Full SeaWorld show:

That's rough.

Mike looks well though

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »

Full SeaWorld show:

That's rough.

Mike looks well though
Agreed, seeing the C50 crew do these song justice was fun while it lasted.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »

It was a pretty good concert. The harmonies seemed a little thin. Obviously I'd gotten a little too used to hearing Al in the blend again.

I can actually see advantages to both ways -- there's a lot to be said for the "wall of vocals" approach on last year's tour, where every vocal part except some of the leads was essentially triple-tracked live, but I also quite like being able to pick out each individual voice and hear what it's doing, and with the exception of Christian Love all of Mike & Bruce's band are very fine singers.

I actually think the Mike & Bruce band is missing far more instrumentally than it is vocally -- and that's not a knock on the instrumentalists in their band at all. It's just that two synths can't possibly substitute for real trumpet, sax, french horn, vibes, percussion, harmonica and so on. Bruce and Tim Bonhomme can't possibly, between the two of them, cover all the parts that Probyn, Nelson, Darian, Paul Mertens and Scott Bennett covered without cutting corners.

Mike & Bruce's band are capable of some very, very good vocal work, as anyone who's heard them doing Til I Die, All This Is That or Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring will attest, and to my mind if they just replaced Christian Love with Al Jardine they'd be pretty much perfect on the vocal front.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »

Well, I'd love if their recent work would get some promotion. But I doubt Brian, Al and David will play anything from TWGMTR

Well its a Brian show with guests so a few obscure songs other than the hits often make the list. A chance for 'Summers Gone' depending on the audience maybe?
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »

I can actually see advantages to both ways -- there's a lot to be said for the "wall of vocals" approach on last year's tour, where every vocal part except some of the leads was essentially triple-tracked live, but I also quite like being able to pick out each individual voice and hear what it's doing, and with the exception of Christian Love all of Mike & Bruce's band are very fine singers.

I don't mind Christian's voice, and I think he sounds good on some stuff, but his stage presence sucks.  He just looks so bored, like he'd rather be anywhere else than playing in his dad's band, and he half-asses his vocals.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »

I don't mind Christian's voice, and I think he sounds good on some stuff, but his stage presence sucks.  He just looks so bored, like he'd rather be anywhere else than playing in his dad's band, and he half-asses his vocals.

Yeah -- he's a lazy, lazy singer. Which is a shame, as he has a very good voice.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »

Yeah -- he's a lazy, lazy singer. Which is a shame, as he has a very good voice.
His Carl-like tone is great when he does try.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 19, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »

OSD LIVES  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »

OSD LIVES  Grin

His youtube comments are keeping it real.... Cool Guy

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »

As are mine. I'm so happy to have a new dartboard, sans moderation.

gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 19, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »

And I'm happy I'm all stocked up on popcorn.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »

He just wants attention, though. I shouldn't be giving it to him, so he can just fade away.

On the other hand, that video is pretty bad stuff.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

I'd say that video was average. There were some vocal moments from the band as a whole that made you go...woah. Personally, I thought Bruce sounded great and it was nice to hear him stick out in the mix much more than an the reunion tour...still convinced his keyboard isn't turned on however.

As for the setlist above from hard rock, thank you for posting. It's certainly a bit more spicey than this show. I like Bruce's lead on "Wendy" and "Disney Girls" and John Cowsill on "Darlin". I've actually never heard "Dance, Dance, Dance" live, so hopefully that one sticks around for the concert I'm going to this summer.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx