gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681050 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 02:05:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 134621 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »

The Stamos hatred is centered around a bunch of sociopaths in the pro-Brian camp who think Stamos is little more than a cheerleader. However, unlike many of the myriad guests who randomly show up on both Beach Boys and Brian solo recordings, Stamos actually IS a fan of the group and a huge one at that. I'll take him over the Johnny-come-lately poseurs.

To call fellow board members who disagree with you about John Stamos (of all things) sociopaths is outrageous. Please apologize now.

I apologize for voicing it on the forum.

You now have something in common with Mr. Bragg.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »

I would agree with Howie - Watergate, it ain't. And, not for nothing, but Stamos did popularize the song. There are well over a million hits on YouTube. Carl sang it from time to time, but Stamos gave it mass media attention.  He has had an undeniably huge role in memorializing Dennis.  If people don't like him, it is their problem. He gets a ton of applause and he does not dominate the stage.  Really, no one does, and they give each other room to shine.

There are a lot of haters out there who should just get over it.  Stamos intro'd them a month after the purported "incident."  It's a "slow news day" to dredge this up.  It is old.  

Yes, yes. YouTube hits, yogurt commercials, this are the same citations as in other threads. All of this is subjective, non-measurable, non-provable assertions. Stamos has a million hits on YouTube for the song, where people can click for free. I'll go ahead and follow suit and re-state my same piece of evidence to refute how popular Stamos' rendition of the song was: The Beach Boys put his version on one of their albums ("Summer in Paradise"), and that album failed to reach the *TOP 200* on the album charts in 1992. This was the around the peak of popularity for "Full House" and Stamos' rendition of the song.

Actually, maybe that clears the whole thing up. Clearly, the Beach Boys were dragging Stamos down. If the album had been released under Stamos' name, it would have hit the Top 10.  Cool

I would refute the characterization that Stamos never "dominates" the stage. I've seen ample video evidence of this, as well as reports/reviews from audience members. No, he doesn't elbow Mike to the side and sing every song. But, as Howie mentioned, Stamos does pretty much just go on stage and do whatever he wants. It's the total opposite of being humble and standing on the merits of one's own music.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:59:38 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »

The Stamos hatred is centered around a bunch of sociopaths in the pro-Brian camp who think Stamos is little more than a cheerleader. However, unlike many of the myriad guests who randomly show up on both Beach Boys and Brian solo recordings, Stamos actually IS a fan of the group and a huge one at that. I'll take him over the Johnny-come-lately poseurs.

One, as anyone who reads this board is well aware, I'm not in the pro-Brian camp and I would be happy if Stamos never guested again.

Two, I am not a sociopath and I find being called one deeply deeply offensive. Apologise, and now.

Three, any mod who uses such language and holds such opinions is patently incapable of maintaining a neutral stance and should resign their position immediately.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »

I would agree with Howie - Watergate, it ain't. And, not for nothing, but Stamos did popularize the song. There are well over a million hits on YouTube. Carl sang it from time to time, but Stamos gave it mass media attention.  He has had an undeniably huge role in memorializing Dennis.  If people don't like him, it is their problem. He gets a ton of applause and he does not dominate the stage.  Really, no one does, and they give each other room to shine. There are a lot of haters out there who should just get over it.  Stamos intro'd them a month after the purported "incident."  It's a "slow news day" to dredge this up.  It is old.  

I cannot say that I disagree with any of this.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »

One, as anyone who reads this board is well aware, I'm not in the pro-Brian camp and I would be happy if Stamos never guested again.

Two, I am not a sociopath and I find being called one deeply deeply offensive. Apologise, and now.

Three, any mod who uses such language and holds such opinions is patently incapable of maintaining a neutral stance and should resign their position immediately.
Andrew, I vote for you take his place. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
nybbfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2014, 09:02:53 AM »

Since I was at that Beacon show I feel compelled to jump in.   The Forever video glitch was weird at the time.   While it is fun to speculate on a Stamos conspiracy theory, the obvious confusion on stage make any sort of pre-arranged plan very unlikely.  Reluctantly, I'll give Stamos the benefit of the doubt and even credit since he sang in tune (and obviously in Dennis's original key).   That being said, Stamos's behavior during the rest of the show was abysmal.  It was beyond annoying for Stamos to grab Cowsills' drum kit for at least 3 songs at the end of the first set.  The drop off in drum playing was obvious and Stamos's showboating was distracting.   If that wasn't bad enough, Stamos got on stage yet again late in the 2nd set, this time with a guitar.  I still cringe remembering his prancing about "playing" the guitar (plugged in?) with a terrified child perched dangerously on his shoulders.  At the time, I was convinced we were about to witness the serious injury to a child because of Stamos's irresponsible showing off.   The New York Times reviewer  tactfully called Stamos "instrusive."  The friend I went with agreed that Stamos nearly succeded in ruining the show.    Remember, this was the first BB performance in NYC in ___ years and Stamos, the supposed "superfan," insisted on making it about himself.  
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »

This has been a problem with The Real Beach Boy for years. He believes his fandom is more legitimate and enlightened than the rest of ours is. He's a moderator for a board populated by those for whom he has nothing but contempt. Interesting position to be in.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »

Stamosgate.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:06 AM »

Since I was at that Beacon show I feel compelled to jump in.   The Forever video glitch was weird at the time.   While it is fun to speculate on a Stamos conspiracy theory, the obvious confusion on stage make any sort of pre-arranged plan very unlikely.  Reluctantly, I'll give Stamos the benefit of the doubt and even credit since he sang in tune (and obviously in Dennis's original key).   That being said, Stamos's behavior during the rest of the show was abysmal.  It was beyond annoying for Stamos to grab Cowsills' drum kit for at least 3 songs at the end of the first set.  The drop off in drum playing was obvious and Stamos's showboating was distracting.   If that wasn't bad enough, Stamos got on stage yet again late in the 2nd set, this time with a guitar.  I still cringe remembering his prancing about "playing" the guitar (plugged in?) with a terrified child perched dangerously on his shoulders.  At the time, I was convinced we were about to witness the serious injury to a child because of Stamos's irresponsible showing off.   The New York Times reviewer  tactfully called Stamos "instrusive."  The friend I went with agreed that Stamos nearly succeded in ruining the show.    Remember, this was the first BB performance in NYC in ___ years and Stamos, the supposed "superfan," insisted on making it about himself.  

That is interesting. I had forgotten that the New York Times reviewed the show and commented on Stamos. Perhaps he got a different kind of blowback in 2012, and that may explain why he actually discussed (and mentioned he understood) some fans' annoyance with him in that "Guitar Aficionado" interview.

Here's the one bit from that 2012 show review:

(Meanwhile John Stamos, the actor, who introduced the band, grew intrusive in return visits to the stage, sitting in on drums and clowning on guitar.) 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »

Interesting to note that when the fan's video of the Forever glitch was posted on YouTube just after the show two years ago, one of the comments was this:

"This will be known forevermore as... "The Stamos Incident." Mark my words"

Got the name wrong - "Stamosgate" is better - but he seems to have been right.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

...........Says the man whom we don't know and only has 2 posts under his belt.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
nybbfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »

Mikie:  I feel so discredited  (post #3)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

Mikie:  I feel so discredited  (post #3)
Welcome to the board, glad to see your thoughts on the Beacon show! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

Stamos crashing that moment seems like a drunk uncle who pushes you aside to talk about himself as you deliver the eulogy at your brother's funeral.

Nailed it!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »

Seconded!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »

Call me a sociopath but this Stamos guy is a real @ss.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »

It's all about Stamos, not the BBs or their music. Why can't Mike not see that?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »

Mikie:  I feel so discredited  (post #3)

But nonetheless, a constructive post with good observations. Kinda supports my initial thoughts about Stamos, and after 8 pages of reading posts that started to sway me in the other direction and give him the benefit of the doubt, after reading your post I'm now back to square one with it. He is a hamburger (and hot dog) on stage. But seriously, I really don't think he did anything wrong here as Nelson Bragg suggests. I might go to the Mike & Bruce show at the Saratoga Winery concert in a few days just to see what Stamos does (if he shows up). I'm gonna find Jude in the crowd and compare notes with him.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:23:08 AM by Mikie » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »

Stamos crashing that moment seems like a drunk uncle who pushes you aside to talk about himself as you deliver the eulogy at your brother's funeral.

You mean like someone seemingly drunk taking over the microphone at your induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame ?  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »

Welcome to the boards, nybbfan!

I was at the second of the two Beacon shows. I didn't know about the Forever incident the first night, but I do remember getting the impression that Stamos had been reigned in significantly compared to reports of past BBs shows. (Also remember an exchange with my wife after his big drum solo: her: "What's going on?", me: "It's a TV actor.")

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »

Actually this urge to Upstage others has been going on (and a problem) since the dawn of Motion Pictures.

I would like a penny for every minute of lost time that producers had to re-take scenes because of hamming it up when the guilty actor was not supposed to be the main focus of the scene. (wealthly beyond my dreams!)

Because there is no known cure for it - film actors (like Stamos) should stay away from live concert venues.

We cant edit out Stamos' gaffes on stage like an editor can clip a scene on celluoid (or todays digital equivilants)

Necessity knows no law
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »

You mean like someone seemingly drunk taking over the microphone at your induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame ?  Grin
Hahahahahahaha!

Since I was at that Beacon show I feel compelled to jump in.   The Forever video glitch was weird at the time.   While it is fun to speculate on a Stamos conspiracy theory, the obvious confusion on stage make any sort of pre-arranged plan very unlikely.  Reluctantly, I'll give Stamos the benefit of the doubt and even credit since he sang in tune (and obviously in Dennis's original key).   That being said, Stamos's behavior during the rest of the show was abysmal.  It was beyond annoying for Stamos to grab Cowsills' drum kit for at least 3 songs at the end of the first set.  The drop off in drum playing was obvious and Stamos's showboating was distracting.   If that wasn't bad enough, Stamos got on stage yet again late in the 2nd set, this time with a guitar.  I still cringe remembering his prancing about "playing" the guitar (plugged in?) with a terrified child perched dangerously on his shoulders.  At the time, I was convinced we were about to witness the serious injury to a child because of Stamos's irresponsible showing off.   The New York Times reviewer  tactfully called Stamos "instrusive."  The friend I went with agreed that Stamos nearly succeded in ruining the show.    Remember, this was the first BB performance in NYC in ___ years and Stamos, the supposed "superfan," insisted on making it about himself. 

...........Says the man whom we don't know and only has 2 posts under his belt.
Call me a socio.. I mean.. socialist, but I think 'newbies' with less than 10 posts should deserve the same respect for that they have got to say as the old dogs. Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:26:26 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »

[please delete]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:26:45 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »

I think Mike has a very specific idea of what he thinks Beach Boys fans want and expect from either a Beach Boys live concert or even an album, going back specifically to the 1980's and up to the present time, and I think the issues like the ones brought up in this current discussion can happen when groups of fans don't agree with that vision. Factor that in when it was the 50th tour, a situation where there were key members of two bands working together on stage, plus original members not connected to either Brian or Mike specifically, and what kind of compromises and changes had to be made in order to get the kinds of setlists and the kinds of shows that were heard on that tour actually onto the stage.

It would be interesting to find out through one of the band members what kind of decisions, compromises, and even disagreements may have happened when these shows were being planned, even for something as basic as the setlist for any given night. I naturally do not expect anyone that involved and still in the employ of the various current bands to ever reveal anything of the sort, but do we think it was all smooth sailing and good vibes considering everyone involved and their opinions?

It's just worth considering that perhaps something like having a guest performer on stage doing more than a guest would normally do - who in this case happened to be John Stamos at the Beacon but it could have been anyone, really - could have been a point of contention even among the musicians who may have been used to that kind of setup having toured and played with Mike previously versus those who may have thought differently about having anyone outside the core group getting that much stage time at what was a pretty big deal of an event for the Beach Boys: Their 50th anniversary tour with all surviving members participating.

Some have mentioned how John's involvement dropped considerably from this one Beacon show to the next show, to the point where he didn't show up at all until the 50th tour was over but started appearing again once the Beach Boys touring band resumed their own gigs. In fact, wasn't he there at the very first gig for a charity function that Mike played after the 50th tour?

Not necessarily forming an opinion either way, but don't you get the idea that Mike thinks having John on stage for as much of the show as he tends to be on stage on average is what he thinks most of the fans want to see at a Beach Boys concert? I won't judge specifically at the Beacon in 2012 because I wasn't there and have only seen Forever on video, but if John was that involved as the reports here have said, it would seem a bit out of place if not inappropriate at that kind of show, and we can only wonder how much discussion or even dissent it may have caused when it wasn't just Mike calling the shots for how these shows would be staged.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx