gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680911 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 07:28:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 569899 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

I must embark on an opinion-throwing pilgrimage to try and reclaim my honor. I will make you proud SJS.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 23, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »

The article clearly states Frank was rapping on his song.  I'm not sure why some of you are ignoring that. 

Frank told me otherwise so...

I was hanging out with Lana Del Rey, and sadly she had no interest in continuing her "sleeping her way to the top" thing with me  Huh

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »

I must embark on an opinion-throwing pilgrimage to try and reclaim my honor. I will make you proud SJS.

Knock it off. Just the fact that you are spending a lot of time (too much time LOL) passionately discussing something that is important to you, is honorable enough! It's a creative, harmless, mostly fun hobby. I just wish people would be more accepting and respectful of others' opinions, or merely recognizing that it's just that - an opinion. And I'm not specifically directing that at you. And now I'm going back to work before I get fired!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:59:32 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 23, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »

For those of you that don't think Brian is really of fan of his guest artists, check out this bit from an interview that just the stands in England:

Turns out the septuagenarian pop auteur is still tuned into the latest sounds.

"Oh my gosh, 'Summertime Sadness'," Wilson puts his hand to his forehead. "I wish I'd written that song. It encapsulates everything I think about summer. It's warm. There's lots of sun. But then I think about everything that's happened to me and I get sad. I get sad, very sad, yeah."

I asked Wilson what his feelings were when he first head the song.

"I was in the car going to get some more wheat grass juice with Joe Thomas, my collaborator. See, we were on a real health kick that day, and I thought, 'Let's go get some wheat grass juice.' So anyway, we're driving and this beautiful song comes on the radio."

Wilson sings the chorus in his inimitable falsetto, the same voice that turned songs like "Don't Worry Baby" into generation-spanning hits.

"I had to pull over the car to the side of the road. I really did. And I started laughing. Laughing out loud! And Joe asks me, 'What?' I told him she beat me. Lana Del Ray beat me to 'Last Song'. This is the song I wanted to be my last song."

"Last Song" is currently slated to close up Wilson's latest album.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:38:10 PM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 23, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »

Thanks for posting that! If I didn't know any better, I'd say Brian's been plugging this Wheat Juice more than his album Grin

For those interested in the song Summertime Sadness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVjsGKrE6E8
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:42:57 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »

That's the 2nd or 3rd time I've read about Brian and the wheatgrass.  Hey, if it gets the creative juices flowing...
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 23, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »

Ehhh. Not my cup of tea.  Roll Eyes
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 23, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »

I had my JBL 4320 Studio Monitors wiped out in Superstorm Sandy, and I bought a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's to replace them as I couldn't find any....that Sinatra /Jobim record on the DQ20's with a bottle of Opus One 2001 to accompany it is a beautiful thing.

Bummer to hear about your JBL 4320's!

I'm curious how you would compare the sonic signature of your Dahlquist DQ-20's to your previous JBL 4320's, both with and without the benefit of a bottle of Opus 1.

(For those not into classic loudspeakers, the JBL 4320 professional studio monitors featured a huge 15 inch woofer and horn loaded tweeter.  They were introduced in 1968 as the D50's and renamed the 4320's in 1970.  The Dahlquist DQ-20's are classic 3 way speakers, but I have never heard a pair.)

Yeah ; I bought the JBL 4320's after I met Brian at the Bellagio house ; he had four of them elevated in each corner of a music room , powered by McIntosh amp and pre amp. He cranked them , probably at 3/4 gain , the sound was massive; thunderous; he played Marcella and Be My Baby about 10 times. I figured at that time ;" I need to listen to music the same way he does" so I bought the JBL's and then bought the Mac stuff ;this was early 70's. When Sandy hit landfall I tried to get them upstairs , but when the wave hit the house but it was too late; water was up to my waist in about four minutes.  

The DQ-20's have a better , fuller mid-range , while the 42320's had an endless bottom. Funny, when I told Brian a few years ago that I had the 4320's  he said ;" have you ever had your floor vibrate when you crank them ? "  Answer is yes; he suggested cranking "Country Air " from Wild Honey , that would definitely rattle the house if I really cranked them.  I did .....and they did....and my house did !  The JBL's were way more efficient than the DQ-20's ; I am using a McIntosh MA 6500 integrated amp for power; the DQ-20's are very inefficient , much like the DQ-10's , so I have to play everything at over half gain. I miss the 4320's and if I found a clean pair at reasonable pricing I would buy them and move the DQ-20's into my living room. But both are great in their own way
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »

I think I'm going to have to try some wheatgrass juice.  I'll probably hate it, but oh well.  LOL

Also, I listened to Summertime Sadness and thought is was pretty good.  Still don't like a lot of her music, though.  It'll be interesting to see if it had any influence on Last Song.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »

That is a damn lovely and slightly disturbing song by Lana ......
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »

OK, this has gone too far guys. I made that "article" up. I thought it'd get outed quicker. It was a pastiche of typical BW moments, with an extra reference to the first time he heard "Strawberry Fields Forever".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »

OK, this has gone too far guys. I made that "article" up. I thought it'd get outed quicker. It was a pastiche of typical BW moments, with an extra reference to the first time he heard "Strawberry Fields Forever".

I thought it was legit until Brian pulled the car over.  LOL
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 23, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

Damn, the one time I don't ask someone for a link it turns out to be fake.  Shame on you lol.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 23, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »

COHEEEEEEEEEEEN

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:51:45 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »

:-\why!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »

I listened to the song before Cohen outed himself. i guess in real life Brian would have fallen sleep at the wheel listening to this bore.  Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 23, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »

I listened to the song before Cohen outed himself. i guess in real life Brian would have fallen sleep at the wheel listening to this bore.  Cheesy

I still think it's great but honestly can't see Brian anywhere near it, or her .......... For musical reasons at least.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 23, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »

I had my JBL 4320 Studio Monitors wiped out in Superstorm Sandy, and I bought a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's to replace them as I couldn't find any....that Sinatra /Jobim record on the DQ20's with a bottle of Opus One 2001 to accompany it is a beautiful thing.

I'm curious how you would compare the sonic signature of your Dahlquist DQ-20's to your previous JBL 4320's, both with and without the benefit of a bottle of Opus 1.

(For those not into classic loudspeakers, the JBL 4320 professional studio monitors featured a huge 15 inch woofer and horn loaded tweeter.  They were introduced in 1968 as the D50's and renamed the 4320's in 1970.  The Dahlquist DQ-20's are classic 3 way speakers, but I have never heard a pair.)

Yeah ; I bought the JBL 4320's after I met Brian at the Bellagio house ; he had four of them elevated in each corner of a music room , powered by McIntosh amp and pre amp. He cranked them , probably at 3/4 gain , the sound was massive; thunderous; he played Marcella and Be My Baby about 10 times. I figured at that time ;" I need to listen to music the same way he does" so I bought the JBL's and then bought the Mac stuff ;this was early 70's. When Sandy hit landfall I tried to get them upstairs , but when the wave hit the house but it was too late; water was up to my waist in about four minutes.  

The DQ-20's have a better , fuller mid-range , while the 42320's had an endless bottom. Funny, when I told Brian a few years ago that I had the 4320's  he said ;" have you ever had your floor vibrate when you crank them ? "  Answer is yes; he suggested cranking "Country Air " from Wild Honey , that would definitely rattle the house if I really cranked them.  I did .....and they did....and my house did !  The JBL's were way more efficient than the DQ-20's ; I am using a McIntosh MA 6500 integrated amp for power; the DQ-20's are very inefficient , much like the DQ-10's , so I have to play everything at over half gain. I miss the 4320's and if I found a clean pair at reasonable pricing I would buy them and move the DQ-20's into my living room. But both are great in their own way

Thanks so much for the JBL and Dahlquist comparison info, Ray.  Again, it was a bummer to hear about losing your 4320's in Superstorm Sandy, but it was cool to learn that Brian was cranking four 4320's in the early 70's at Bellagio.  Does he still have those, and if not, do you recall what he uses for home listening today?

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

I am pretty sure that Brian uses a system called "DirecTV"  tuned in to the 40's, 50's, and 60's stations for home listening.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »

Ray, I still have one pair of JBL L-100 studio monitors and one pair of 4311's that I bought around 1973. They've been sitting in a closet for years, but back in the 70's I had a Marantz receiver/amp (w/ the gyro wheel) driving them and they sounded great. I can imagine what a Mac (or Carver) amp sounded like hooked up to them. I need to find new brown or orange foam grill covers for them because they just evaporated over time.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: July 23, 2014, 02:37:49 PM »

Thanks so much for the JBL and Dahlquist comparison info, Ray.  Again, it was a bummer to hear about losing your 4320's in Superstorm Sandy, but it was cool to learn that Brian was cranking four 4320's in the early 70's at Bellagio.  Does he still have those, and if not, do you recall what he uses for home listening today?

He doesn't have them anymore; I assume they went away with the Bellagio house; probably Marilyn knows what happened to them.  I wish I could find them !

Brian has some custom system up in his music room with speakers built into the walls and ceiling; I don't know what it is but its way more sedate than the Bellagio stuff

Cabinessence at 3/4 gain on those 4320's was a beautiful thing , with or without Opus 1
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 23, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »

Ray, I still have one pair of JBL L-100 studio monitors and one pair of 4311's that I bought around 1973. They've been sitting in a closet for years, but back in the 70's I had a Marantz receiver/amp (w/ the gyro wheel) driving them and they sounded great. I can imagine what a Mac (or Carver) amp sounded like hooked up to them. I need to find new brown or orange foam grill covers for them because they just evaporated over time.....

Mikie; how is the sound on the 4311 's ? Are they bookshelves ?  The 4320's were mammoth ; three feet by three feet. I bet the Marantz receiver/amp could drive them ; before I got the McIntosh stuff as there were economic limitations on my wallet at that time, I was powering the 4320's with a Marantz and it wasn't bad. I changed the grill covers on the 4320's twice before the ocean got them !
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »

I’ve noticed something concerning the “recycling” of old song ideas. Why is that bad? I’m not talking about remakes of BB songs and whatnot. But when someone condescendingly points out “Brian was just recycling a demo from 1983” or something,

If it is revealed the songs were written 15 or 20 years ago the magic would be gone for me. It will seem like product, pieced together from rubble left behind when Brian was still an active composer, not art. I want to be wowed. That sadly wont happen -- Joe Thomas is involved.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 23, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »

I’ve noticed something concerning the “recycling” of old song ideas. Why is that bad? I’m not talking about remakes of BB songs and whatnot. But when someone condescendingly points out “Brian was just recycling a demo from 1983” or something,

If it is revealed the songs were written 15 or 20 years ago the magic would be gone for me. It will seem like product, pieced together from rubble left behind when Brian was still an active composer, not art. I want to be wowed. That sadly wont happen -- Joe Thomas is involved.

I do agree that some of the magic will be taken away if a lot of the songs are just ones that weren't good enough in the past.  I still believe I can be wowed by the album even if Joe Thomas is involved, though.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 23, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

I still think it's great but honestly can't see Brian anywhere near it, or her .......... For musical reasons at least.

To be 'positive', I've listened to two Frank Ocean songs earlier and though I'm not running and buying his CDs, I could easily see how he'd fit in a Brian Wilson track. Nice stuff.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx