gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 03:53:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review Of "The Right Time" Single Posted On Examiner (Link)  (Read 28208 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »

Alan Alan....  If you're taking a crack at me, don't forget to take one at Brian and Al for writing Crack at Your Love

Grin "Wilson, Jardine, in my office, now!"

Great song! 

I'm reachin' out to you, bgas (in my mind).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »

Alan Alan....  If you're taking a crack at me, don't forget to take one at Brian and Al for writing Crack at Your Love

Grin "Wilson, Jardine, in my office, now!"

Great song! 

I'm reachin' out to you, bgas (in my mind).
so you have "Bgas in mind? well it's been too much time.." lol
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »

My 2 cents in reading these posts: The new song isn't anything special. I wish it were, but honestly, it sounds like a TWGMTR reject. I suspect Brian being surrounded by people who think he's The Messiah doesn't help..."hey, another classic Brian!", "Best ever boss". No Mike Love to dare question anything....and speaking of Brian/Mike, for my second point,  those who think they have a beer and talk, you are WRONG. Very wrong...

Some interesting thoughts!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2015, 11:21:49 PM »

My 2 cents in reading these posts: The new song isn't anything special. I wish it were, but honestly, it sounds like a TWGMTR reject. I suspect Brian being surrounded by people who think he's The Messiah doesn't help..."hey, another classic Brian!", "Best ever boss". No Mike Love to dare question anything....and speaking of Brian/Mike, for my second point,  those who think they have a beer and talk, you are WRONG. Very wrong...

Some interesting thoughts!

Agree, interesting comment… but - if accurate - I don't think Mike would be the man to ask to be the quality filter for Brian's work.

“We live in divisive times.”
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »

I just saw the 5 star rating and crossed the page off.

Maybe it's because I'm from a younger generation, but once I read that I was like 'Nice review'. Didn't need to go further  Cool Guy
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2015, 12:16:01 AM »

So because of the five stars you bought the song?

SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2015, 01:28:41 AM »

So because of the five stars you bought the song?

I never buy single songs, seems pointless.

Seeing the 5 stars gave me an ego boost for enjoying the song, that simple.  Cool Guy
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »

That vehement backtracking "LOL I'M NOT DEFENDING MIKE LOVE IN MY REVIEW!!!!11!!one!1! I TALKED ABOUT THE MUSIC IN MY REVIEW NOT ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF THE MUSIC IN MY REVIEW".... Wouldnt be so bad if ESQ Editor didn't go into extreeeeeeeeemely defensive damage control mode immediately after people started talking about his abortion of a song review....

Quite off-putting. The review this thread is about isn't even barely about the song in question, it's about what other people are saying about the song and the past history of the people involved/not-involved in the song.

Of course, this whole "internet journalism" thing isn't about, and never has been about, the  music. It's about whatever gets the most people to click URLS so the people in charge of websites get their fractions of a penny advertising revenue anytime somebody has the misfortune of clicking the links to the "music reviews".

The "review" obviously isn't about the music, otherwise there would be no mention of artists who have jack squat to do with the song in question.

And you can trust my opinion on all this stuff, I'm an "internet music review expert opinion giver" expert.  Roll Eyes

No mas, por favor.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2015, 02:52:20 AM »

What a fucking shambles. Honestly we have so much to look forward to and you guys turn it to sh*t. You guys means everybody! Pull your fucking heads in the lot of you..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2015, 02:55:23 AM »

What a fucking shambles. Honestly we have so much to look forward to and you guys turn it to sh*t. You guys means everybody! Pull your fucking heads in the lot of you..

Hey, I thought the song was great, a definite ear worm, and a logical evolution from the tracks on Brian's "God Made Radio" album.

Looking forward to the whole album.

It's shoddy clickbait "journalism" that brings the whole entire internet down a peg, not me.

PS: I  Love U

No mas, por favor.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2015, 03:56:48 AM »

To dismiss bgas as only being a collector is assholish.  First consider why he collects WHAT he collects.  Man!!!  So you only wrote the 'review' of the new song so you could ride in on your white mule to defend Mikeddy?  And you did that because he provides a useful "quote" to help promote/validate your fanzine?  See what I just did there?  THAT was a stupid thing to say too.  [And I KNOW it.  Don't mean it.  Just making a point]

Bgas' attack on me was unwarranted.  If defending myself, doesn't sit well with you, then so be it.  

I stand beside all the Beach Boys, and they know it.  I follow a moral code, but I'm not someone who thinks they are anything special.  In life I have been called to be a father, a husband, a Tenor in a church choir, and someone who loves to listen and write about The Beach Boys.  I'm very blessed.

Any quotes from the Boys in support of me or ESQ are old, but have been earned.

So then you agree with the rest of what I wrote?  You only disagree with the part...and respond to the part...and DEFEND the part where I concluded by clearly saying..." See what I just did there?  THAT was a stupid thing to say too.  [And I KNOW it.  Don't mean it.  Just making a point]'

David...it wasn't really a review.  It still isn't.  Well...maybe 'quarterly'.  The other 3/4 though...  Oh and the 'review' you reacted to?  T'Was pretty accurate.  Anyway...not looking to fight.  Being "assholish" doesn't mean that I think that's what or who you are.   I do it frequently.  If this particular 'opine' of yours didn't 'nail it'...think of all the ones you wrote that did. Cool Guy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile here's a MINI review of the ALBUM from Bruce Johnston...YES...T H A T  Bruce Johnston...

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1424531813.92145&user=bellagio
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:11:04 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2015, 06:05:32 AM »

My subconscious informed me of a connection between The right time and Lay down burdon, at least in the chorus. Not that it matters....
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2015, 06:13:10 AM »

Meanwhile here's a MINI review of the ALBUM from Bruce Johnston...YES...T H A T  Bruce Johnston...

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1424531813.92145&user=bellagio

Thanks for sharing! "Age appropriate" - that sounds like a very, um, appropriate description of the stuff we got to hear, for better or worse.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »

Thanks for sharing! "Age appropriate" - that sounds like a very, um, appropriate description of the stuff we got to hear, for better or worse.

Aye "age-appropriate" is an amusing term… I mean, what should these Beach Lads be doing as they enter their 70s? Producing Doris Day albums? LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »

I'd like to comment as well, but first I think something should be addressed if not clarified, and the opportunity given to do so.

Since the original article was published on Examiner and since the link appeared here with follow up comments, it looks like the original text has been changed and edited at the source. What this sets up is a situation where members here read it at some point yesterday, posted reactions to what they read, and sometime in the middle of all that the original text was changed. Those who may have read after the changes were made or who will read now or in the future will see text that has been edited if not nuanced to alter some of the original passages readers here had addressed specifically, if not disagreed with outright.

Why change the original text, and was it changed after readers questioned some of the content?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »

Meanwhile here's a MINI review of the ALBUM from Bruce Johnston...YES...T H A T  Bruce Johnston...

Aye "age-appropriate" is an amusing term… I mean, what should these Beach Lads be doing as they enter their 70s? Producing Doris Day albums? LOL

I thought it was very classy from Bruce to post that review. The fact that he'll outwardly, publically, praise Brian's new album, with all it implies, is a gentleman's gesture.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:39:59 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »

I'd like to comment as well, but first I think something should be addressed if not clarified, and the opportunity given to do so.

Since the original article was published on Examiner and since the link appeared here with follow up comments, it looks like the original text has been changed and edited at the source. What this sets up is a situation where members here read it at some point yesterday, posted reactions to what they read, and sometime in the middle of all that the original text was changed. Those who may have read after the changes were made or who will read now or in the future will see text that has been edited if not nuanced to alter some of the original passages readers here had addressed specifically, if not disagreed with outright.

Why change the original text, and was it changed after readers questioned some of the content?

Agree. An explanation would be in order.

To dismiss bgas as only being a collector is assholish.

Agree.

Quote from: Add Some
David...it wasn't really a review.  It still isn't.  Well...maybe 'quarterly'.  The other 3/4 though...  Oh and the 'review' you reacted to?  T'Was pretty accurate.  Anyway...not looking to fight.  Being "assholish" doesn't mean that I think that's what or who you are.   I do it frequently.  If this particular 'opine' of yours didn't 'nail it'...think of all the ones you wrote that did.

Also agree.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »

I don't care. David has an opinion and a outlet for it. He can change his mind. We all can disagree or agree. Why all of the drama?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »

To dismiss bgas as only being a collector is assholish.

Let me clarify that statement. Bgas is a collector and an asshole.   Howsat?  Tongue

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »

THAT'S harmony. LOL

You da best Mikie. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2015, 11:44:34 AM »

Meanwhile here's a MINI review of the ALBUM from Bruce Johnston...YES...T H A T  Bruce Johnston...

It does seem to be a bit odd, doesn't it?  Particularly with the young artists that are on this and the notable timelessness of Brian's music - God Only Knows a hit again, recently.  It did make me consider what music and performances might be age-inappropriate.  Brian's work isn't what came to mind. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:47:39 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

It does seem to be a bit odd, doesn't it?  Particularly with the young artists that are on this and the notable timelessness of Brian's music - God Only Knows a hit again, recently.  It did make me consider what music and performances might be age-inappropriate.  Brian's work isn't what came to mind. ;-)

I usually like giving Bruce grief on these boards, but I don't think he really meant anything bad with the "age-appropriate" thing. Let's remember that  Bruce was basically over making rock 'n roll of any kind by like 1966, with the oh-so-classic Bob Sled & the Toboggans being his last music that could even loosely be called "rock 'n roll." Shoot, he was even calling himself a "Rock and Roll Survivor" by the mid '70s. I think he looks upon rock 'n roll as something that affluent people over, say....35 shouldn't be playing. And that's his call. We all have our own taste.

But it is amusing nearly all the music he claps along to every night was written by guys around the ages of 20 to 30.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »

Brian's new music should be enjoyed and celebrated. Even if you think it's nothing special.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »

My 'take' on what Bruce meant by "age-appropriate" is that lyrically...it's been written for adults...for those of us who've accompanied Brian along his path.  And now that he and we are older...it's age appropriate.

Dancing Bear???  John Phillips wrote a song called 'Dancing Bear' for the Ms and Ps.  They recorded it even though he never really felt like he had finished it...that it still had significant polishing to be done...especially the ending part.  Sadly...that'll never happen.  Anyway...Any relation there in terms of the name?

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »

I'm fairly sure the text was changed after people here questioned the content, you can see it happening through the posts.  Why?  He may have agreed with what some had posted about his review and changed it. Probably as simple as that.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx