gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681030 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:53:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian says Beach Boys reunion album sounds "mellow".  (Read 68929 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »

Rumored lineup for 50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun, the latest Beach Boys EP/album.

1. Foskett Goes Surfin'
2. Don't Litter
3. Foskett Takes Your T-Bird Away
4. Don't Worry, Foskett
5. What About the Whales?
6. Foskett Hangs 10

Hidden track: "Wrinkles"

Foskett Foskett Foskett
Jeffomo
Warmth Of The Foskett
Jeff Don't Tell Me
Let Jeff Run Wild
Wild Jeffy
Aren't You Jeff
Our Foskett Recording Sessions
Jeff It Again
I Can Hear Foskett
Everyone's In Love With Jeff
Jeff's OK
Jeffuhama

Jeff Foskett Loves You:
1. Let Jeff Go On This Way
2. Roller Skating Foskett
3. Jeff
4. Jeffy Foskett
5. Good Jeff
6. Honkin' Down The Foskett
7. Jeff Jaff
8. Foskett System
9. The Jeff Was So Young
10. I'll Bet Jeff's Nice
11. Let's Put Our Fosketts Together
12. I Wanna Pick Jeff Up
13. Jeffplane
14. Jeff Is A Woman

Don't Go Near The Foskett
Long Promised Jeff
Take Load Off Your Foskett
Jeffy Girls
Foskett Demonstration Time
Foskett Flows
Lookin At Foskett
Till Jeff Dies
Day In The Life Of A Foskett
Jeff's Up
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »

It'll sound like Imagination, unless they bring in one of the names brought up in the past - Don Was, Sean O' Hagan, even Andy Paley. Or they could go with someone truly organic like Rick Rubin. Or maybe Jeff Lynne for that ELO/Wilburys-style fairy dust... Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:41:18 PM by D409 » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »

Rick Rubin definitely. I still love the Beastie Boys "License To Ill".

But........

Will it be "Donovan" mellow?

Or "Old People's Home" mellow?

I'm really hoping it's called either "Pleasure Island" or "F*cking With The Formula"

And unlike Summer In Paradise, I will be buying this album

(That last one's going out to DrBeachBoy)

adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

Or maybe Jeff Lynne for that ELO/Wilburys-style fairy dust... Smiley

Is that smiley because you're joking? No offence and each to their own but Jeff Lynne. I've still not forgiven him for what he did to the Beatles.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »

and Brian if you happen to read this (or his managment) please give the new cd a classic 60's wall of sound feel like "today" or "summer days/nights" and the more recent andy paley sessions and "just like you and me"..it doesn't have to be mono but at least bring back that classic sound.if Amy Winehouse can release cds with that wall of sound thing going on I can't see why you can't. Grin Grin ok I needeed to get that off my chest...lol..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:16:50 PM by joshferrell » Logged
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »

Is that smiley because you're joking? No offence and each to their own but Jeff Lynne. I've still not forgiven him for what he did to the Beatles.
Is Jeff Lynne a significantly worse idea than Joe Thomas ? BTW, Imagination is quite an enjoyable album but it is very middle-of-the-road sounding...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

Is Jeff Lynne a significantly worse idea than Joe Thomas ? BTW, Imagination is quite an enjoyable album but it is very middle-of-the-road sounding...

I never listen to Imagination, solely because of the production. Don't mind ELO though

Regarding Joe Thomas though, a lot has happened since 1998. I think back then they were still unsure of how to market Brian, and what his fan base expected from him.
We've since had BWPS, LOS, and the Disneys. Hopefully now Joe will be respectful of what Brian and the BB's are all about
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »

T Bone Burnett could help produce something truly special IMO.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »

Haha. You're quite right and I couldn't agree more. I actually really like Imagination. It came out whilst i was really getting into the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson and I bought it whilst travelling the world, so it's got a special place in my heart. Love the songs on it but I probably let off the production a little because of the memories the album evoke. (I still can't forgive the Cameron Diaz line). The production, no the engineering, is a little cheesy. Some of those instruments even sound like they were played straight from a keyboard....
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2011, 02:52:33 PM »

Well i liked the Imagination Lp + i didnt mind Joe Thomas updating BW sound.. What bothered me was Darian"s comments about Joe arraigning basterized versions of BB classics.. BB used to change things live on occasion.Rhonda for instance... But Joe didnt seem to hardly involve BW on these decisions.. i think Joe had to much control + BW gave in.. Without asserting his authority.. It took Darian"s complaints to right the ship..At least thats what i read.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »

Is this BBs project truly on? I read nothing about a BBs album on Brian's answers, only a ref to how they sounded on the new version of DIA. All other mentions of a BB project are simply the author's words. The only names mentioned in relation to the recordings are Foskett and Thomas. Brian even states that Foskett's doing backing vox.  I remain optimistic but skeptical.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:27:55 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2011, 03:35:14 PM »

Regarding Joe Thomas though, a lot has happened since 1998. I think back then they were still unsure of how to market Brian, and what his fan base expected from him.
We've since had BWPS, LOS, and the Disneys. Hopefully now Joe will be respectful of what Brian and the BB's are all about

This is definitely something that crossed my mind. Joe was (and is, I'm sure) a huge BB fan, so I'm sure he's not sitting around trying to figure out how to screw up a Brian Wilson project. And Brian isn't the same guy he was in 96-98, either.

Is this BBs project truly on? I read nothing about a BBs album on Brian's answers, only a ref to how they sounded on the new version of DIA. All other mentions of a BB project are simply the author's words. The only names mentioned in relation to the recordings are Foskett and Thomas. Brian even states that Foskett's doing backing vox.  I remain optimistic but skeptical.

I wondered about this too, but thought it might be impolite to bring it up.

Also, on the subject of Joe Thomas:

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/soundstage,25355/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »

Pick your poison (bad choice of words, I know) Jeff Lynne produced/co-wrote "Let It Shine" on "Brian Wilson".  So what worked better for you?  That track's sound or the "Imagination" album.

After hearing the new Micky Dolenz, "King for a Day" album produced by Jeff Foskett, I'd vote for Jeff.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »

I wonder why David isn't involved? If it's by his own choice then fine, if not, hasn't he been given the shaft enough already?
Last time I spoke to Dave, a few weeks ago, he was hoping to be involved, but still hadn't been "invited" to any sessions or meetings. Maybe the reunion will not recognize any of the material on the first four LP's and the surf/car era...right. Roll Eyes

If Brian is working the "old Brian way" - doing the music first, he'll bring in the Boys later for vocals.  Hope that includes David.  And a David lead vocal would be awesome.  And while he's at it, have Dave overdub a lead guitar on "Do it Again".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »

John & Wirestone --

Everything I asked Brian was SPECIFICALLY about "The Beach Boys reunion sessions" -- and stated that way prior to every question. We spoke a bit about his relationship with the other members -- this was all part of a conversation dealing SPECIFICALLY with the Beach Boys. I asked Brian nothing in regards to any solo sessions. It was 100% perfectly clear that we were talking about the Beach Boys 50th anniversary project.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

Very much appreciate the clarification, Howie. Here's to another dream realised!

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »

John & Wirestone --

Everything I asked Brian was SPECIFICALLY about "The Beach Boys reunion sessions" -- and stated that way prior to every question. We spoke a bit about his relationship with the other members -- this was all part of a conversation dealing SPECIFICALLY with the Beach Boys. I asked Brian nothing in regards to any solo sessions. It was 100% perfectly clear that we were talking about the Beach Boys 50th anniversary project.

Great reporting Howie!  Frustrating that no one with access would ask Brian specifically about this.  Mahalo!

ps - any mention of David being involved?

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:21 PM »

John & Wirestone --

By the way, Howie, Congratulations to you, Peter Reum and the redoubtable and inscrutable A.G. Doe for the name checks in the booklet.  How freaking Awesome is that?

I mean, this is not just any CD booklet.

It's. The. Booklet. For. FREAKING. SMiLE.

sign me

Highly Impressed!

-- David

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »

Thanks very much.

But all the kudos really go to Boyd & Linett.

From what I gathered, certain members of the BB's have promised David that his presence WILL be part of the 50th anniversary.
Even if he wasn't already the most talented instrumentalist in the band (past and/or present) -- there's no way to be unhappy around David Marks.

For no other reason, he's sorely needed there.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »

Thanks very much.

But all the kudos really go to Boyd & Linett.

From what I gathered, certain members of the BB's have promised David that his presence WILL be part of the 50th anniversary.
Even if he wasn't already the most talented instrumentalist in the band (past and/or present) -- there's no way to be unhappy around David Marks.

For no other reason, he's sorely needed there.

I'm going to put my money down and say that Al would be the certain member (s).  Would be interesting to know the dynamics of the working relationships between members for the project.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »

Members -- not member.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »

Rumored lineup for 50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun, the latest Beach Boys EP/album.

1. Foskett Goes Surfin'
2. Don't Litter
3. Foskett Takes Your T-Bird Away
4. Don't Worry, Foskett
5. What About the Whales?
6. Foskett Hangs 10

Hidden track: "Wrinkles"

Foskett Foskett Foskett
Jeffomo
Warmth Of The Foskett
Jeff Don't Tell Me
Let Jeff Run Wild
Wild Jeffy
Aren't You Jeff
Our Foskett Recording Sessions
Jeff It Again
I Can Hear Foskett
Everyone's In Love With Jeff
Jeff's OK
Jeffuhama

Jeff Foskett Loves You:
1. Let Jeff Go On This Way
2. Roller Skating Foskett
3. Jeff
4. Jeffy Foskett
5. Good Jeff
6. Honkin' Down The Foskett
7. Jeff Jaff
8. Foskett System
9. The Jeff Was So Young
10. I'll Bet Jeff's Nice
11. Let's Put Our Fosketts Together
12. I Wanna Pick Jeff Up
13. Jeffplane
14. Jeff Is A Woman

Don't Go Near The Foskett
Long Promised Jeff
Take Load Off Your Foskett
Jeffy Girls
Foskett Demonstration Time
Foskett Flows
Lookin At Foskett
Till Jeff Dies
Jeff's Up
Wouldn't Jeff Be Nice
You Still Believe In Jeff
That's Not Jeff
Don't Talk (Put Jeff's Head On My Shoulder)
Jeff's Waiting For The Day
Sloop Jeff B.
Jeff Only Knows
I Know There's A Foskett
Jeff Today
Jeff Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Jeff Sounds
Foskett, No

A discipline daddy.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

My favourites so far are

Jeff Is A Woman
Till Jeff Dies
Don't Talk (Put Jeff's Head On My Shoulder)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »

Keepin Foskett Alive
Oh Foskett
Some Of Jeff's Love
Living With A Jeffache
School Day (Ring Ring Goes The Jeff)
Jeffin' On
Jeffshine
When Girls Get Together With Foskett
Santa Ana Jeff
Endless Jeffery!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:27:49 PM by Erik H » Logged
scoop1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »

Would it be possible they may only record a limited number of really good new tracks and release them amongst a Beatles Anthology type set of releases. Say double sets from each era of differrent takes and demos with these new tracks.

Instead of 1 long tour that would just not work do a lesser number of excellent longer quality shows based around Smile and these sets.

Any thoughts to content of these possible sets?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx