gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681083 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 09:05:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack Rieley speaks  (Read 4157 times)
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2007, 06:12:09 AM »

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,214717.shtml
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:24:53 AM »

Great interview.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:33:16 AM »

Here's a direct link to the video for those interested:

http://flasher.com/view_profile.php?profile_id=435
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:38:45 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:11:39 AM »

"Jack Rieley, who helped guide the Beach Boys back to critical and popular acclaim after the group hit a low ebb, has spoken publicly about that period for the first time ever."

[koff] Don't think so. Check out  Beach Boys Stomp #34, 12/82, pages 12-15.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07:30 AM »

Isn't he also interviewed as part of the mid-70s BBC radio documentary? And of course, if the Internet is public--which it seems to be--someone has posted on this board J.R.'s posts from what I think was a predecessor to this board. Sounds pretty public to me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »

"Jack Rieley, who helped guide the Beach Boys back to critical and popular acclaim after the group hit a low ebb, has spoken publicly about that period for the first time ever."

[koff] Don't think so. Check out  Beach Boys Stomp #34, 12/82, pages 12-15.  Roll Eyes

I'd sure like to...are all those back issues going to be made available again?
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 02:21:12 PM »

It's really too bad this interview of Rieley is not in Billy Hinsche's DVD.  Having seen the DVD, this is by the far the most interesting interview about Dennis.  Too many of the interviews in the DVD are just fluff, rather than containing real substance.  Hopefully, future versions of the DVD will incorporate this fascinating interview.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 04:12:55 PM »

I'm not sure where to find the Beach Boys Stomp. I would love to read it if you could direct me to it.

In America, the BB had reached a comercial low with Sunflower and from 71-73 they were able to rebuild their image. I don't know how much of that could be credited to Jack, but as their manager, I would think that he had something to do with it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

By the way, I am just curious. What did Mike Love think of Jack Rieley's lyrics? To me they are just as non-sensical as Van Dyke Parks. But I have never heard anything suggesting that Mike didn't 'relate' to them. Perhaps Mike was following the 'Lets try to be hip' philosophy in the early 70s (?)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:30:15 PM »

By the way, I am just curious. What did Mike Love think of Jack Rieley's lyrics? To me they are just as non-sensical as Van Dyke Parks. But I have never heard anything suggesting that Mike didn't 'relate' to them. Perhaps Mike was following the 'Lets try to be hip' philosophy in the early 70s (?)

I think they're more non-sensical; the sort of lyrics someone hearing VDP might respond with after incorrectly saying, "I could do that." But I'd guess, based on his in-concert comments, that by that time Mike knew which way the wind was blowing. Or had blown.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »

Isn't he also interviewed as part of the mid-70s BBC radio documentary? And of course, if the Internet is public--which it seems to be--someone has posted on this board J.R.'s posts from what I think was a predecessor to this board. Sounds pretty public to me.

He answered questions on the Pet Sounds Mailing List back in 1996 and 1997.

http://www.thesmileshop.net/index.php/Jack_Rieley_Speaks

http://www.thesmileshop.net/index.php/Jack_Rieley_Speaks_Part_2

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 01:06:30 AM »

He answered questions on the Pet Sounds Mailing List back in 1996 and 1997.

http://www.thesmileshop.net/index.php/Jack_Rieley_Speaks

http://www.thesmileshop.net/index.php/Jack_Rieley_Speaks_Part_2
I was on the PSML from about 1998 to 2000, so I missed all this.  Very, very interesting stuff that I did not know about.  Rieley is an interesting character, and it's hard to discern how much of what he says is true, and how much is exaggeration or maybe even fabrication.  But he has a lot of interesting stuff to say about band politics, true or not.

Part 2 has some very interesting stories about Brian and some inappropriate behavior, as well as about Mike's first reaction after hearing "Marcella", both toward the end of that page.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:24:53 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
MBE
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 05:11:25 AM »

His stories are pretty funny, especally Love's dance moves but I think his memory is fanciful. Obviously biased against Mike, Al, and Bruce which I never like especally when talking about music.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 01:14:57 AM »

His stories are pretty funny, especally Love's dance moves but I think his memory is fanciful. Obviously biased against Mike, Al, and Bruce which I never like especally when talking about music.
I got the same vibe.  There's probably truth behind what he is saying but he may be embellishing a bit to make a point.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »

I do not think that Jack Rieley's lyrics are "nonsensical"

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx