gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 01:13:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cabinessenceking goofing about stereo  (Read 4603 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2013, 04:59:36 AM »

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the rights to the music used for my mixes but....
YO, Mr EMI haunting my channel! There's tons of Beach Boys stuff which is already posted on youtube which are copies of material from official releases. All I do is make fun 'fan mixes' in less than 480p (sh*t quality so who would copy it?) purely for my own gratification and posted only on this message board in order for those who wish to have a listen and perhaps even be inspired in the creation of their own mixes. Personally I was inspired by other mixes posted on this very board! So please release my vids from EMI restriction (I believe Vega-Tables was reinstated and is now incarcerated after 15 min probation). Please, please, please stop.

NewChild Is Father Of The Man (stereo) My interpretation. I hate to bastardise anything Smile by using BWPS material, but I felt I really had to because it has a completely different feel from the original recording (where the individual instruments are too far panned anyway). However The chorus is quite powerful I feel, since it includes the familiar 'child, child, the child' chant as well as acetate vocals first heard on TSS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sREyNRBkiQ

NewCan't Wait Too Long (stereo) My interpretation of this marvelous gem which should've seen its release on either WH or Friends back in the days. Not much material to work with and I already really enjoy the version released on the GV boxed set, but it's got some originality in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmQrKTh3wo0

California Feelin' (1974/1979 imagined version/ Al Jardine inspired). Slightly shortened and sped up because the original becomes tedious. This one is more for fun and an attempt at how it could've been as an album opener or closer. Close to the version released on Al's solo effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvF2fYCQjeQ

Released from EMI captivityVega-Tables [Mark Linett 1993 mix] (stereo). Identical to the version first released on the GV box in 1993 (but in stereo). Thanks for SMiLE A.D making life easier! The most notable change from the TSS version is the transition to the fade (which has also been slightly lengthened).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPdj2ko77Y

Good Timin' [1974] (stereo) (different from album version, less polished than what Bruce and Carl came up with for L.A. No glitzy piano intro, stronger backing track and less ooohs in the verses, making Carl's lead sound better and you hear more emotion in his vocals.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTKW0AibST0

'Til I Die (stereo) (different but with same format as album version [no extended Desper mix going on], includes more prominent Brian vocals and vibraphone, the end is heavenly!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oj0dLkiziY

Help Me, Rhonda (stereo) (with Brian chanting in the background!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Reau8jkm58

Heroes And Villains (stereo)
If anyone is interested in hearing yet another (but unique) mix of H&V in stereo I can offer a listen to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NObts5rp2c8

edit: originally post concerning H&V...
I can shortly state what I intended with this mix.

- I sped the track up slightly to give it more energy
- I combined the verses from the Hawthorne, CA comp with the Verse [remake] track from The Smile Sessions box (TSS). This I did to make the backing track have a more stereo feel and to make the drum more prominent.
- The chorus is great, but gets bogged down due to length so it has been shortened and the Smiley Smile organ has been overdubbed to give it more substance.
- Various H&V chants feature in the song but are shortened for the sake of not making the song too repetitive.
- There is a short instrumental of "I'm In Great Shape" in there (since the two pieces are related)

Many of you have inspired me with your mixes so I would personally like to thank those of you who use your time to give us your extraordinary mixes.

Btw this is a first mix so forgive any mixing failures (there are some but they are minute).

Please leave thoughts or ideas. Hope you enjoyed mine!  Grin

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:49:49 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »

This is fantastic! Could you make a 3 1/2 minute version of this? I'd love to hear a single-length version. The first 2 minutes of this are the best H&V mix I've heard (speeding it up just a tad really makes this song rock!).

I really like that outro too - is that part on the TSS?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »

This is fantastic! Could you make a 3 1/2 minute version of this? I'd love to hear a single-length version. The first 2 minutes of this are the best H&V mix I've heard (speeding it up just a tad really makes this song rock!).

glad you liked it, I gave it some lenght to make it album suitable. I'm quite satisfied with the opening as well and I'm pretty sure I could cook up a single version quite soon. yes the outro is from TSS. "Heroes And Villains: Fade" i believe, i chose another take because I didn't want Carl loafing around on tape for 2 hours ^^
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:24:29 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »

glad you liked it, I gave it some lenght to make it album suitable. I'm quite satisfied with the opening as well and I'm pretty sure I could cook up a single version quite soon. yes the outro is from TSS. "Heroes And Villains: Fade" i believe, i chose another take because I didn't want Carl loafing around on tape for 2 hours ^^

Thanks! I somehow missed hearing that take.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »

Help Me, Rhonda in stereo with Brian making noises in the background!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Reau8jkm58
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

Am I the only one who doesn't really like the heavy bass (or is it bass keys on an organ?) in the 2nd section of H&V? (the part starting around 0:44) It's not just this mix, it was on the Smiley Smile mix and others I've heard. It seemed a little less pronounced in the SS version.

That section, to me, works fantastic as a sort of "Baroque pop" segment, but with a loud bass it seems to drown out the really interesting voices-harpsichord combo. It would be interesting to hear a mix without the bass altogether.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. Great mix otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:05:44 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:04:20 AM »

Don't diss the Baldwin, you won't survive it.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »

It's the baldwin he's complaining about, but that little bass run Brian recorded for the single version (which didn't even have the baldwin on it). It's a bit loud here.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:51 AM »

This is good.

But it's remarkable how the Smile version of Heroes has been so abandoned.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »

Ooh, I'm in Great Shape section is beautiful!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »

This is good.

In my mix or the fan community in general? They gave us much Smile session material so we could never tire of the Smile puzzle!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »

This is good.

In my mix or the fan community in general? They gave us much Smile session material so we could never tire of the Smile puzzle!

Amen! That is the best thing about SMiLE. Pet Sounds is great, but it is the only album I don't rearrange much. Maybe replace I Know There's an Answer for Hang on to Your Ego, but that's it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »

This is good.

The fan community in general. I think the nail was being put into the coffin in BWPS. Choosing the Smiley Smile Heroes there always seemed like an odd choice to me. Sorry -- I realize this is not entirely on topic but I thought it was a good place to discuss it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »

This is good.

Amen! That is the best thing about SMiLE. Pet Sounds is great, but it is the only album I don't rearrange much. Maybe replace I Know There's an Answer for Hang on to Your Ego, but that's it.

Thanks for reminding me!, gonna try a 'stereo' Hang On To Your Ego (if it is possible).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »

H&V would be amazing as a LP side-long song with the sections like Barnyard, IIGS, etc.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »

This is good.

The fan community in general. I think the nail was being put into the coffin in BWPS. Choosing the Smiley Smile Heroes there always seemed like an odd choice to me. Sorry -- I realize this is not entirely on topic but I thought it was a good place to discuss it.

Oh, the reason I go for these sections is the better vocal quality on the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k16UeTEpQI
the vocals on this version sounds too rough for me, the source tape is lacking in quality.

When it comes to the organ, I decided to really build the chorus around it. The chorus version without the organ is enjoyable but basically acapella with some percussion. Also I shortened the chorus because for me it quickly becomes boring, so in my mix I wished to avoid that. Another reason for loud organ overdub is that it hides the edit I made to shorten the chorus.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:49:02 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »

You shortened the chorus because it was boring but then you had two rounds of the slow "dit dit heroes and villains" which is way more boring.  I'd suggest cutting the first and just going with the round with Mike's vocal on the bottom.  Some of the edits are a little rough.  But hey you wanted a critique - for a first attempt it's pretty good.  Better than I could do.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »

H&V would be amazing as a LP side-long song with the sections like Barnyard, IIGS, etc.

I once put together a 19 minute Heroes And Villains sequence I dubbed 'A Horse Opera'. It has Barnyard, IIGS, Bicycle Rider, With Me Tonight, You Were My Sunshine, In The Cantina, and other stuff. The sound is quite rough in spots due to the limitations of available material at the time; can you say "piano demo"? Cheesy. It does definitely drag at times but it's pretty interesting to see where my head was at in  that period. A lot has changed since then. Nowadays I'm quite content with my 5:46 edit, and I think of IIGS/Barnyard along with YWMS as a sort of sequel, an 'H&V Part 2' if you will.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »

New mixes of the songs 'Til I Die and Good Timin' posted top.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »

Vega-Tables 1993 version in stereo now available in OP.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:29:56 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »

Cal Feelin' posted top.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

Could you possibly attempt a coherent version of been way too long/can t wait too long  ?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:10:09 PM by petzounds29 » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 02:21:56 AM »

Could you possibly attempt a coherent version of been way too long/can t wait too long  ?

read my mind, working on it right now. it's not too easy though! Trying to imagine how it would be, but some sections are damaged or are in mono...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »

CIFOTM and Cant wait too long are up
petzounds1
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 05:58:42 AM »

The man done gotcha.I would still love to hear this someday.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx