gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 06:31:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated artists/albums  (Read 56903 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »

Some guy named Bruce Springsteen...he's pretty over-rated...

I agree Bob Dylan is tad bit over-rated (not saying he's not talented) he's a great wordsmith/lyricist but musically he doesn't do it for me..
Queen is another one..Freddie's voice is unbelievable but their music is..pretty bad..just because he has a powerful/awesome voice doesn't mean you can excuse crappy songs..

Oh my god. You must have the worst taste of anyone I have ever come across.
worst taste? I love my taste in music Smiley..
I wouldn't say that bands you like are bad at all. You just seem to dislike some very obviously great musicians. "Some guy named Bruce Springsteen".. not sure if you're being facetious, but i kind of agree with you. I've never heard anyone say they thought he was overrated, let alone bad. (not that i think he's bad, but i do think he's overrated)
I never said he's horrible..but he gets more credit than he deserves....What has he contributed to Rock & Roll?  I'm seriously asking you...I checked out only one album by him..it's called Born to Run..i thought it was pretty decent and I heard that was his magnum opus...I hear he's great and blah blah..but there are no songs to prove how magnificent he is...at least none that I've heard yet.

I agree with the bolded part. But you have to give his catalog a deeper listen before you write him off like that.
yes there has been a few people I've written off then went back into their catalog and became a huge fan of their work..
Is there any specific album/song you recommend?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »

I agree Bob Dylan is tad bit over-rated (not saying he's not talented) he's a great wordsmith/lyricist but musically he doesn't do it for me..
Queen is another one..Freddie's voice is unbelievable but their music is..pretty bad..just because he has a powerful/awesome voice doesn't mean you can excuse crappy songs..

I wouldn't say that bands you like are bad at all. You just seem to dislike some very obviously great musicians. "Some guy named Bruce Springsteen".. not sure if you're being facetious, but i kind of agree with you. I've never heard anyone say they thought he was overrated, let alone bad. (not that i think he's bad, but i do think he's overrated)
I never said he's horrible..but he gets more credit than he deserves....What has he contributed to Rock & Roll?  I'm seriously asking you...I checked out only one album by him..it's called Born to Run..i thought it was pretty decent and I heard that was his magnum opus...I hear he's great and blah blah..but there are no songs to prove how magnificent he is...at least none that I've heard yet.

Depends how much you value Americana, but he's adding significantly to that musical conversation and belongs to a lineage that includes people like Mississippi John Hurt, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Phil Spector, etc.
I'm not too  much of a fan of Americana...I listen mostly to British rock Smiley...but there are a few American bands/artists from that i do enjoy.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »

Depends how much you value Americana, but he's adding significantly to that musical conversation and belongs to a lineage that includes people like Mississippi John Hurt, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Phil Spector, etc.
I'm not too  much of a fan of Americana...I listen mostly to British rock Smiley...but there are a few American bands/artists from that i do enjoy.

This might explain why you don't understand what his contribution to music has been.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »

I agree with the bolded part. But you have to give his catalog a deeper listen before you write him off like that.
yes there has been a few people I've written off then went back into their catalog and became a huge fan of their work..

No, I'm not a fan. The difference is I listened to at least a half dozen of his albums before I came to that conclusion (I guess try The River next?).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »

This might explain why you don't understand what his contribution to music has been.
you have a point  Wink
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »

No, I'm not a fan. The difference is I listened to at least a half dozen of his albums before I came to that conclusion (I guess try The River next?).
yes I mostly do two albums..but with Bruce the first one didn't drawn me even the slightest..but I'm checking out the river for sure Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »

The Boss.... um, no.
he really is..he's the most over-rated artist to come out imo..
this song says it all...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4
 LOL

I kind of like the whole "Dylan-meets-Spector" thing Springsteen was doing with the E-street Band...he had/has a distinctly American sound that I'm sure was pretty damn refreshing to hear after years of countless British bands doing snoozefest concept albums about hobbits and wizards and the like. Anyone that covers 'When I Grow Up", "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Rockin' All Over the World" is ok in my book. Plus...the late Clarence Clemons was the greatest rock and roll sax player this side of King Curtis.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »

The Boss.... um, no.
he really is..he's the most over-rated artist to come out imo..
this song says it all...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4
 LOL

I kind of like the whole "Dylan-meets-Spector" thing Springsteen was doing with the E-street Band...he had/has a distinctly American sound that I'm sure was pretty damn refreshing to hear after years of countless British bands doing snoozefest concept albums about hobbits and wizards and the like. Anyone that covers 'When I Grow Up", "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Rockin' All Over the World" is ok in my book. Plus...the late Clarence Clemons was the greatest rock and roll sax player this side of King Curtis.
hmmm I prefer the whole Dylan meets the Beatles thing Smiley you know who I'm talking about right?
MBE
« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »

I am a big Dylan fan, yet I think some take him way too seriously. Humor is a big element of his work yet some of his fans are a little over the top in how they hold him. Personally I think his singing from 1961-76 is underrated, but perhaps some of the stuff since then isn't as good as it's made out to be. I do like the three from 1997-2005 though.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »

it's called Born to Run..i thought it was pretty decent and I heard that was his magnum opus...

Find your own "magnum opus" and don't bother listening to what others say is the best or not best.  You have ears and a brain.  Use them.  Springsteen...Dylan....Queen...these are all staples and legendary artists in music history.  And for good reason.  It's no accident they are in the position that they're in.  Respect that and take a little more time to investigate new artists outside your comfort zone. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:19:16 AM by Justin » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »

there are no songs to prove how magnificent he is...at least none that I've heard yet.

No, there are plenty of songs that prove how magnificent he is...you just have bad taste.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »

Regarding Springsteen...

While I feel he has often gone too far into emulating the "everyman" persona that Woody Guthrie championed or going for the anthemic when an honest personal response would be more welcomed (especially into the 80s and after), Springsteen successfully took two decades of rock and synthesized it into his own unique blend. His best songs are mini-movies that explore flawed characters in the grip of fleeting exhilaration or lasting heartbreak. Listen to "Meeting Across The River" (on BORN TO RUN) for a succinct, finely etched study of a deluded narrator laying out a plan that can only end in disappointment or tragedy...only he doesn't know it. The song is like a little Scorsese film committed to vinyl.

The unbridled passion of Springsteen's work seldom ignores the dark side of any situation. If you listen to nothing else, may I suggest "Candy's Room"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx1N3Kjx1OU

This 1978 gem opens like a Spector girl-group record before exploding into a "Friday On My Mind" 60s garage band rave up (albeit polished to a fine sheen) and even throws in a guitar solo homage to Cream's "White Room". Thematically, the song contains the entire range of emotions one might feel at the beginning of a wild romance (or even an imagined one with a girl worshiped from afar), complete with the desire to rescue the lover from others and herself while knowing it's an impossible feat. The sense of triumph here is not the consummation of the relationship; it's the simple act of declaration. It doesn't matter if "Candy" only wants the singer of the song (likely not); the singer attempting to convince himself this is true is what the song pivots on. The achievement is that Springsteen packs enough exhilaration and heartbreak to fill a whole album into a two-minute, forty-four second song.

Jason
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »

Bruce Springsteen gets more credit than he deserves? WOW...listen to Nebraska and then come back with that remark.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »

Bruce Springsteen gets more credit than he deserves? WOW...listen to Nebraska and then come back with that remark.

Seriously, this.

Or, play Out In The Street, VERY LOUD.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »

Bruce Springsteen is popular not because of tabloids/Rolling Stone cover stories/etc (which is normally how 'artists' become overrated)...He's popular because he perfectly captured the gritty image of middle-class America. A lot of Americans can truly relate to his music.

I'm not even a big fan of Bruce, but no other artist can transport me to my childhood in the northern mid-west like he can.

No way Bruce is overrated, he's just that good.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »

Like all Bruce up to Tunnel of Love.  Nebraska is special, albums 2 - 3 great, but it's the River I'd most recommend. 

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »

it's always great when you can relate to what someone is singing about...but if the music doesn't sound good to me then i lost interest pretty fast..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »

it's always great when you can relate to what someone is singing about...but if the music doesn't sound good to me then i lost interest pretty fast..

Agreed. However, just because you can't relate doesn't make it overrated.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »

I might be wrong for saying that just because I can't relate to it/don't like the way his music sounds...but idk anyone that likes his music besides you guys on here. (and i found that out today)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »

I might be wrong for saying that just because I can't relate to it/don't like the way his music sounds...but idk anyone that likes his music besides you guys on here. (and i found that out today)

Like, throw a rock into any crowded room. Bruce Springsteen is insanely, hugely popular. And yeah, deservedly so. The River's pretty good, I'd try that. If anything, it's got Hungry Heart on it! Need to listen when I get back to my vinyl.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »

Like, throw a rock into any crowded room. Bruce Springsteen is insanely, hugely popular. And yeah, deservedly so. The River's pretty good, I'd try that. If anything, it's got Hungry Heart on it! Need to listen when I get back to my vinyl.
i checked that album out and  Undecided it really does'nt do anything for me but i must admit hungry planet is a great song i like the sweet melody ..when the girly background vocals come in!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »

Like, throw a rock into any crowded room.

Granted, your average crowded room Newguy is walking into is the middle-school lunch-room, so it doesn't surprise me that he knows nobody who likes The Boss.
____

Anyone here like his Magic album?

I really like that album....not as much as his early albums, but 'Girls In Their Summer Clothes' is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »

Newguy, one day you'll notice that music isn't always as blunt and as obvious as you're used to.  All the artists and music you don't "get" now you will most likely "get" later in your life.  Music comes around at the right time and place in your life for it to really work, if you're not ready for Springsteen or Dylan right now...you will be later...if you allow him to be.  You may know what you want in music now but all that changes with age.  It's no accident that these dudes are legends. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »

Newguy, one day you'll notice that music isn't always as blunt and as obvious as you're used to.  All the artists and music you don't "get" now you will most likely "get" later in your life.  Music comes around at the right time and place in your life for it to really work, if you're not ready for Springsteen or Dylan right now...you will be later...if you allow him to be.  You may know what you want in music now but all that changes with age.  It's no accident that these dudes are legends. 
Wow my dad always tells me that...there's a lot of music i just don't get ....I'm glad you put it like that instead of clowning me for not understanding and dismissing Bruce's music..
maybe most of my friends don't like or know his music because well they mostly listen to rap..dubstep..punk Smiley
Jason
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

Admittedly, even though I don't much agree with the Newguy's opinion, I can relate to where he's coming from. Bruce Springsteen didn't make as much sense to me when I was younger as he does now. I've felt the same about Bread and Neil Diamond.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx