gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 08:39:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charles Manson and Dennis Wilson  (Read 2138 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »

First i have a video i saw on Youtube and this does not make any sense.  Watch the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0v2bVX8j4

Questions

1- Why did Charles Manson have a song called Cease to Exist then he goes to Dennis Wilson and meets him for the first time and said i have song i want you to listen to then Dennis Wilson changes the song with new lyric's and renamed the song Never Learn Not To Love but my main question is this.  Why did Manson come to Dennis and threatend him about the song.

2- Why did Dennis want to change some of the Lyric's in this song?

3 What is this-   Manson explicitly told Wilson that the words were not to be altered, though he could do what he liked with the music (in the event, the basic melody was largely unchanged

I had a fast Life
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »

Charlie & Dennis were actually pretty tight at this time - Manson was essentially living in his house, with 'the family'. Dennis talked about him in interviews a lot, said they would collaborate. He even recorded a bit in Brian's house, but no-one was impressed with it and the tapes were most likely destroyed when Charles Manson orchestrated a mass murder. Fair.

Dennis changed p much one line significantly - Cease to Resist instead of Cease To Exist. It certainly changes the meaning of the piece.

Charlie Manson was a crazy motherfucker. He did say 'never change the lyrics, the words are important, man - Don;t ever mess with my words', in tones befitting a psychopath.

Dennis eventually got away from Manson & Co (he just left his house, he couldn't even throw them out).

So keeping in mind that Charlie was insane and Dennis changed one word (and didn't credit him on it, but I think he was riled about the words), he went up to Dennis' house and threatened to murder his family when the song was released. Then he went and orchestrated a mass murder, and threatened him again whilst on the lam, I think?

That's p much the timeline as I understand it - you should watch the documentary about Dennis on youtube (called The Real Beach Boy) as it talks about it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »

What I'll never understand is if Manson told Dennis specifically not to alter any of his lyrics why Dennis turned around and did the polar opposite.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »

He changed a few letters! Maybe he didn't expect to threatened with murder as a consequence. He underestimated his craziness?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »

sh*t, imagine if the Wilsons had been killed by Manson. That would be the worst even in music history. It would be infamous beyond comparison. This is another huge 'what if' which thnakfully never happened. Given the insanity of Manson, this was a real danger to the group.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:54:31 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »

Dennis really did screw Manson over. You. Don't. Mess. with the. Cray-cray.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »

3 What is this-   Manson explicitly told Wilson that the words were not to be altered, though he could do what he liked with the music (in the event, the basic melody was largely unchanged

Have you heard the Charles Manson version?  It sounds nothing like the Beach Boys version in any way.  How can you say the melody was largely unchanged?

What I'll never understand is if Manson told Dennis specifically not to alter any of his lyrics why Dennis turned around and did the polar opposite.

Because Charles Manson wasn't Dennis' boss and he was under no obligation to obey him.  Dennis did what he could to make it more Beach Boys friendly.  It's not like Manson wrote the song for the guys and said not to change it.  It was a tune Manson had that Dennis took and rewrote.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »

Melody is essentially the same from the Charles Manson to the BB version. It's the arrangement that is vastly different. Manson's is essentially a folk/blues arrangement. But I don't see how you can say the melody is totally different. It is clearly the same song.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »

sh*t, imagine if the Wilsons had been killed by Manson. That would be a stand out event in music history. It would be infamous beyond comparison. This is another huge 'what if' which thankfully never happened. Given the insanity of Manson, this was a real danger to the group.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »

The book "Helter Skelter" has some great info on the Dennis and Charlie relationship. It talks about Dennis a good bit, but I wasn't that big a fan of The Beach Boys when I first read it, so it didn't seem that important to me.
So, I can't really remember any of the Dennis stuff. But, it's a pretty good book and very interesting.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »

There are a few threads on this, which go into some detail, even beyond Bugliosi's book on Manson.  One guy with a great story is Stephen Desper (who recorded at least one of Manson's sessions).  Desper tells it best but - Short version:  Desper impressed Manson by showing he knew how to handle a switchblade properly, so Manson backed off the crazy and did what he was asked.  The material was only fair and Manson was too out-there to do retakes or fixes.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx