gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 12:07:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnsone & Blondie Chaplin getting fired  (Read 13183 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:10 AM »

Which brings another interesting question. What did Carl and Al think of Bruce when he returned? Obviously, he was voted back in right? Was it unanimous?

Initially he was brought in to help with the singing, then production, and almost immediately the road.  When the "Light Album" was released, Carl said in an interview (Time Barrier Express), "Alan and I had been talking with each other and we both said how great it would be for Bruce to come back in, and be involved with us.  Dennis had also expressed that on his own, and Brian totally independently...had called Bruce and said 'Come on down to Miami".   Notice how Mike wasn't mentioned!  It was supposed to be a temporary return, but the rest is history!

My feeling is that Brian's call to Bruce to come down to Florida coming straight after Yetnikoff making his famous statement about being royally rogered is somewhat less than a coincidence.

Consider - Brian can't (or won't) do it... Carl's still cleaning his act up... Dennis - yeah, OK... Alan tried with MIU... and Mike doesn't do production. What was the alternative ?

Didn't Jimmy Guercio produce POB? Was there any thought of bringing him on? Anyone consider Phil Spector? Although he was a nut case even at around that time according to the Ramones. Having said all that, I think the LALA was very well produced. Not so much for KTSA.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »

Didn't Jimmy Guercio produce POB?
No. Dennis Wilson and Gregg Jakobson produced POB, Guercio took a decidedly hands off approach to that record considering his production experience. He wanted it to be Dennis' sound 100%, that was his goal, he wrote the checks and stayed out of the way.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »

Which brings another interesting question. What did Carl and Al think of Bruce when he returned? Obviously, he was voted back in right? Was it unanimous?

Initially he was brought in to help with the singing, then production, and almost immediately the road.  When the "Light Album" was released, Carl said in an interview (Time Barrier Express), "Alan and I had been talking with each other and we both said how great it would be for Bruce to come back in, and be involved with us.  Dennis had also expressed that on his own, and Brian totally independently...had called Bruce and said 'Come on down to Miami".   Notice how Mike wasn't mentioned!  It was supposed to be a temporary return, but the rest is history!

My feeling is that Brian's call to Bruce to come down to Florida coming straight after Yetnikoff making his famous statement about being royally rogered is somewhat less than a coincidence.

Consider - Brian can't (or won't) do it... Carl's still cleaning his act up... Dennis - yeah, OK... Alan tried with MIU... and Mike doesn't do production. What was the alternative ?
The saddest part of the whole thing is that Brian, after being hospitalized and apparantley making progress what taken out and swiftly flown to Florida to work on the album. Always seemed like a bad decision in hindsight.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »

The saddest part of the whole thing is that Brian, after being hospitalized and apparantley making progress what taken out and swiftly flown to Florida to work on the album. Always seemed like a bad decision in hindsight.

Ah, those sessions. I've had some questions surrounding that. There seems to be conflicting stories about them. One story, by someone who was present at the sessions when Brian was producing by himself (the rest of the group was on the road or something for a week or two), claims that Brian was recording this genius experimental music. He was usually all of these specially tuned organs, guitars, and synthesizers, and supposedly it sounded almost like Pet Sounds (my guess would be that it sounded more like "Just Once In My Life", although that would've been great, too). There were going to be spoken word segments and all kinds of weird things worked on.

Now, here's where the story gets complicated:
Brian has a breakdown, supposedly, a few days into the recording sessions after receiving a phone call. Some say it was Marilyn that called him  while others say that it was the record company. I've heard some claim that the "gentlemen, we've had (the actually word he used wasn't had, but a certain expletive that starts with an F)" comment that a record exec made was a result of him hearing the recordings Brian had worked on. Personally, I've heard an early mix of "Calendar Girl" (a cover song Brian was working on during the sessions) that seems to have some of the elements that the dude at the sessions claims Brian was incorporating (such as weird organ sound that resembles a calliope organ), and it doesn't sound that good. It could be, though, that the version of "Calendar Girl" I heard is nothing like what Brian did.

Then, it goes, that the band came to Miami about a week later and listened to what Brian had been doing. They thought that it sounded crazy and began erasing a lot of what Brian had done. The dude who had been at the Brian sessions was outraged but there was nothing he could do.

Is that what really happened? To me, it sounds like the session dude was a little too awe-struck by Brian's presence that he over-exaggerated the quality of the tracks.

What's the truth?

Oh, and those pictures on beachboyscentral.com are terrible. Bruce looks like a gremlin!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »

Ooh...good question!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:55 PM »

Oh, and those pictures on beachboyscentral.com are terrible. Bruce looks like a gremlin!

Al looks out of it, to say the least...what the heck was he smoking? And Dennis looks pretty skinny.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »

Didn't Jimmy Guercio produce POB?
No. Dennis Wilson and Gregg Jakobson produced POB, Guercio took a decidedly hands off approach to that record considering his production experience. He wanted it to be Dennis' sound 100%, that was his goal, he wrote the checks and stayed out of the way.

Ok, then how about Gregg Jakobson?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 04:21:43 AM »

Didn't Jimmy Guercio produce POB? Was there any thought of bringing him on? Anyone consider Phil Spector? Although he was a nut case even at around that time according to the Ramones. Having said all that, I think the LALA was very well produced. Not so much for KTSA.

Well...they DID bring Jimmy G. on (have you never seen the production credits for "L.A. Light"?).
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 04:38:45 AM »

Is that what really happened? To me, it sounds like the session dude was a little too awe-struck by Brian's presence that he over-exaggerated the quality of the tracks.
The description is definetly exciting, but Brian recorded nothing like that between 75 and forever, and the sessions that might have that kind of music... are lost. I'm not buying it too.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »

Who said this?  Carli?

Honk! Honk!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »

Well...they DID bring Jimmy G. on (have you never seen the production credits for "L.A. Light"?).

I didn't do my homework

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 10:07:15 AM »

Beach Boys/Bruce Johnston/Jim Guercio, or something like that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

I think Jim G. may have started it, but then Chicago was going through some turbulent times with the recent Terry Kath tragedy and he chose to focus his attention on them.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

I think Jim G. may have started it, but then Chicago was going through some turbulent times with the recent Terry Kath tragedy and he chose to focus his attention on them.
Guercio and Chicago severed their producer/artist relations in late '77 to early '78, that break-up was occurring before Kath's death. Guercio's attention in '78 was primarily focused on directing the film Tom Horn starring Steve McQueen, that became an epic meltdown in itself with Guercio eventually removing himself from the film in mid-shoot, Kath's death, not to mention Dennis, Carl and Brian's combined spiral made it a tough year for Jim, but it was Tom Horn that took up his time and energy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »

Who said this?  Carli?

No, but he was there.  The "session dude" referred to by Dada above was Ed Carter.  Ed Roach was also present and remembers it the same way.  The other Beach Boys were not "on the road or something for a week or two" (as the presence of Ed Carter proves)...the Miami sessions involved the Beach Boys and their support band of the time.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:51:40 PM by c-man » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »

IIRC, didn't Guercio produce "Good Timin'," which was worked on in '74 and December '78.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »

Who said this?  Carli?

No, but he was there.  The "session dude" referred to by Dada above was Ed Carter.  Ed Roach was also present and remembers it the same way.  The other Beach Boys were not "on the road or something for a week or two" (as the presence of Ed Carter proves)...the Miami sessions involved the Beach Boys and their support band of the time.  
Is it known what ever became of these recordings that Brian was doing? Are they "lost"? Buried deep inside some vault? Or did Brian immediately have them erased once they were "finished"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »

Some of them circulate. The version of Brian's Back that circulates with no lead vocal and a rather quirky backing track is from these sessions, as is Calendar Girl.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 04:35:46 AM »

Ooh...good question!

Well, based on the Time Barrier Express quote of Carl above, probably...the only guy not mentioned as being favorable of Bruce's return is Mike!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 04:38:25 AM »

Some of them circulate. The version of Brian's Back that circulates with no lead vocal and a rather quirky backing track is from these sessions, as is Calendar Girl.

As is "California Feeling" (Carl singing lead with Bruce doing a cameo in a couple of places).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 04:39:59 AM »

IIRC, didn't Guercio produce "Good Timin'," which was worked on in '74 and December '78.

Yes.  He's quoted as saying that Dennis was the only guy who could get Brian working at the '74 Caribou Ranch session, and that he (Guercio) let Bruce finish the song in '78, but that in his opinion Bruce "didn't get the mix right".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx