gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681294 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:35:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1420171 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »

Do we know anything more about the actual whereabouts/existence of the Fort Worth, Texas based drug clinic that Carl said used the Smiley Smile album as treatment?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »

Just how involved was Brian with the making of Smiley Smile? I have trouble accepting the fact that it is a "band" production... it seems like Brian's work through and through.

And yes, I am aware that he produced Good Vibrations (which is hardly a Smiley Smile track anyway).

Listen to the UM18 boot, which comprise sessions for the record - Brian is all over it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2077 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »

Do we know anything more about the actual whereabouts/existence of the Fort Worth, Texas based drug clinic that Carl said used the Smiley Smile album as treatment?

No. Next question.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 04, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

Has anyone heard or seen any Smile mixes that use?:

-Rio Grande
-Don't Go Near the Water (the ending vocal/coda)
-Good Vibrations (rehearsal/Smiley-like take from Hawaii)
-Time to Get Alone
-A Day in the Life of a Tree
-Whistle In
-Wind Chimes or Wonderful (Smiley)
-Cool Cool Water (Sunflower)
-Mama Says
-Walk On By (ending Denny/Fire vocal)
-Fall Breaks
-Brian/George Falls into various items (Microphone/Piano/French Horn)
-Swim vocals
-Old Man River
-Diamond Head
-Teeter Totter Love
-Vegetables (Hawthorne CA)
-I Went To Sleep
-Tune X
-Country Air
-Sail On Sailor
-Little Pad
-Moni Kani
-She's Goin' Bald
-Heroes and Villains (any recordings from Hawaii)
-I Don't Know
-Smog Speech
-With me Tonight
-Heroes and Villains  (from Cocaine Sessions)
-Loop De Loop
-Sail Plane Song

and yes, there's a rhyme/reason behind the question of some of these.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:13:21 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 05, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

-Rio Grande
-Time to Get Alone
-Whistle In
-Mama Says
-Fall Breaks
-Swim vocals
-Old Man River
-Diamond Head
-Teeter Totter Love
-I Went To Sleep
-Tune X
-Country Air
-Sail On Sailor
-Little Pad
-Moni Kani
-She's Goin' Bald
-I Don't Know
-Smog Speech
-With me Tonight
-Loop De Loop
-Sail Plane Song

I've heard some Little Pad / Tune X  mashes around, it seems the songs were linked, but none of the other are really linked, and as I listen to many of the boots, I would for my part answer no Sad. Heroes and Villains  from cocaine sessions? got link? :D
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 05, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »

-Rio Grande
-Time to Get Alone
-Whistle In
-Mama Says
-Fall Breaks
-Swim vocals
-Old Man River
-Diamond Head
-Teeter Totter Love
-I Went To Sleep
-Tune X
-Country Air
-Sail On Sailor
-Little Pad
-Moni Kani
-She's Goin' Bald
-I Don't Know
-Smog Speech
-With me Tonight
-Loop De Loop
-Sail Plane Song

I've heard SMiLE mixes that use With Me Tonight in various forms, as well as "French Horn" and one that uses a piece of the "Piano" sketch. I assume you're referring to the "Underwater Chant" when you say "swim vocals"? If so, there was a mix that used them posted on here not too long ago. Obviously any mix that has vocals during the Fire section uses a piece of "Fall Breaks", including TSS. I've heard several mixes that used various versions and pieces from "Cool Cool Water", TSS technically included as well.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »

I used a few bits from Smog in mine (nothing substantial, though).

AlternateBrianWilson's mix uses snippets from the 'Psycodelic Sounds' tapes, as did I in mine - The Vegetables 'lettuce turnip and pea' bit. I think AltBW also used some  of Mama Says.

Remember listening to one that used Diamond Head and Country Air, but I don't have it any more. Wanna say it was called 'American Expansion' or 'Spiritual {something}'.

Some of the choices baffle me - Why would you put Sail Plane/Loop De Loop, Mona Kani, Rio Grande, I Went To Sleep, Tree, SOS....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »

Actually, the "thunderclap to rainstorm" sound effect on "Rio Grande" works nice as a transition between "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" and "I Love To Say Dada" so it was part of my mixes for awhile.

Actually, the earliest mixes I put together (pre-1990s) featured a lot of the songs on punkinhead's list. Since I had no access to unreleased SMiLE sessions proper, I would put a tape together collecting any officially-released track that had a SMiLE vibe.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 06, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »

Who is playing the piano on This Isnt Love?

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2084 on: February 07, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »

Who is playing the piano on This Isnt Love?

Brian. Double tracked.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: February 09, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

What is the strange percussion instrument prominently used in I Wasn't Made For These Times? It's most prominent just before the second verse (Everytime I get the inspiration...)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: February 10, 2012, 06:20:10 AM »

sounds like temple blocks to these auricles
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: February 11, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »

What's Brian's relationship with record labels these days? His two-album deal with Disney is fulfilled... did it go as well as Disney hoped? He currently has no home label also, I think, which would imply he's currently unsigned at least as a solo artist? Considering his miniature renaissance (creatively if not also commercially to some degree) recently, are labels any more likely to chance it with him?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

In the last year or two of Dennis's life when he would sing You Are So Beautiful, would he do the more complete version like he did in the 70's? Or would he just sing something like "You are so beautiful to me" a few times? I was just wondering with his voice problems, if he still did the whole thing.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: February 11, 2012, 09:55:22 PM »

What's Brian's relationship with record labels these days? His two-album deal with Disney is fulfilled... did it go as well as Disney hoped? He currently has no home label also, I think, which would imply he's currently unsigned at least as a solo artist? Considering his miniature renaissance (creatively if not also commercially to some degree) recently, are labels any more likely to chance it with him?

I have no idea what they hoped. I don't think either sold spectacularly well, let's put it that way. But that's not unusual for BW's solo stuff.

I don't think he will ever have a problem with finding a label willing to release his stuff -- if a "major" (which aren't so major these days anyway) won't chance it, any number of indie labels would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

Frankly, I find the BW camp's unwillingness to do just that -- ink a deal with Merge or Anti or some label along those lines -- is one of the great tragedies of his solo career. They would promote the music better and make a much bigger deal of it. BW's folks still see prestige in him being on Capitol or Nonesuch or whatever. Oh well.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »

I don't know much about about record labels, but can Brian (or any of the other Boys for that matter) release anything on Brother Records? Or does it have to do with BR being a sub. label to Capitol or Warners or Caribou or CBS, etc?

While I'm at it, what was SIP and Stars and Stripes released under? just  Brother Records?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »

I have no idea what they hoped. I don't think either sold spectacularly well, let's put it that way. But that's not unusual for BW's solo stuff.

I don't think he will ever have a problem with finding a label willing to release his stuff -- if a "major" (which aren't so major these days anyway) won't chance it, any number of indie labels would snatch him up in a heartbeat.

Frankly, I find the BW camp's unwillingness to do just that -- ink a deal with Merge or Anti or some label along those lines -- is one of the great tragedies of his solo career. They would promote the music better and make a much bigger deal of it. BW's folks still see prestige in him being on Capitol or Nonesuch or whatever. Oh well.

Out of all his solo albums, what sold the best?
I'm guessing BWPS?
If so, what came in 2nd and 3rd? TLOS?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: February 12, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »

I know I haven't been on the board for a while, but I proposed a while back that Brian's I Got Plenty Of Nuttin' uses sections/parts of Dennis' I Don't Know from the Smile sessions...the banjo is what really sold me.
Anyone agree and/or have any idea?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:53:42 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: February 12, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »

Out of all his solo albums, what sold the best?
I'm guessing BWPS?
If so, what came in 2nd and 3rd? TLOS?

BWPS almost certainly sold the most and charted highest (esp. if you consider the DVD set, which did very well too). TLOS charted okay in the U.S., not sure about the rest of the word, so I would guess that was two. I'd bet BW88 is three (if not two, ultimately) -- record sales have declined so much since the 80s that its sales might have surpassed higher-charting stuff that came out later.

Not sure about UK sales -- BWPS did even better over there, while TLOS did worse.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: February 12, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

I forgot to mention I just found BW88 on vinyl and it has the gold stamp of being a 'promo'...Were there a lot of copies of vinyl sold of this album? I was thinking this was at the time cassette and cd were at their high and vinyl was on its way out a couple years before.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »

Are there any photos of Landy after his split from Brian up until his death? Could only find old ones on the Goog.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »

Two questions on Summer in Paradise the title track

1. Who plays lead guitar? (Kortchman? Craig Fall?)

2. Who sings lead vocals in the 3rd verse?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Nicko1234
« Reply #2097 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »

Is this the U.K. version? With Roger McGuinn on vocals?
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: February 26, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »

I don't know. I heard this and was suprised to hear someone other than Mike Love on lead vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqh4xukkuo

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Nicko1234
« Reply #2099 on: February 26, 2012, 04:27:37 AM »

I don't know. I heard this and was suprised to hear someone other than Mike Love on lead vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqh4xukkuo

That's the live version with Bruce singing that verse. Roger McGuinn sang on the U.K. studio version.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx