gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681084 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 01:06:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amazon (and iTunes!!!) samples are up  (Read 27190 times)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »

I'll appreciate this one for what it is, but I hope we get one more ...

Recorded on 4-track 1/2" tape w/ Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, anyone from the wrecking crew still playing ...

Produced by ONLY BW, for better or worse, anything he says goes, engineered by Mark Linett through his UA board ...

Mixed to mono, no computers ... the guys have to record their vocals together around the same mic (ok, fine, Mike can have a separate mic, an RCA ribbon of course)

Now that's a 'rock & roll' album !

(A man can dream, can't he?)

No way, have you heard Carol's bass tone in recent years? Yikes.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

Wow, that must have been taken from The Record Room. That was quick.

Not necessarily -- David Beard did a post on Examiner doing a track-by-track breakdown that included the writing credits.

This?:
http://www.examiner.com/article/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio

It doesn't have writing credits for each song.

Take it as a compliment man. And just cite the record room on wikipedia if you want credit. You don't own the writer's credits.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »

Not necessarily -- David Beard did a post on Examiner doing a track-by-track breakdown that included the writing credits.

This?:

Take it as a compliment man. And just cite the record room on wikipedia if you want credit. You don't own the writer's credits.

I did take it as a compliment, if it was indeed taken from that board. It may have been taken from the Blueboard as well, where it was first copied. I don't really care, I just mentioned it. Where did I say I wanted to own anything? Honestly, I don't care if someone tattoos it on their dick. Have fun!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Paulos
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »

This?:

I did take it as a compliment, if it was indeed taken from that board. It may have been taken from the Blueboard as well, where it was first copied. I don't really care, I just mentioned it. Where did I say I wanted to own anything? Honestly, I don't care if someone tattoos it on their dick. Have fun!

I have been thinking of getting a Beach Boys tattoo but this isn't quite what I had in mind...
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

Recorded on 4-track 1/2" tape w/ Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, anyone from the wrecking crew still playing ...

Produced by ONLY BW, for better or worse, anything he says goes, engineered by Mark Linett through his UA board ...

Mixed to mono, no computers ... the guys have to record their vocals together around the same mic (ok, fine, Mike can have a separate mic, an RCA ribbon of course)

She'll be using a Precision w/ flatwounds through a Super Reverb on this new album ...

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

Okay, my opinions, being based off of :30 seconds of music...

The last 3 songs, and first 2, make up what I'd call the "Best Album Since Holland", and the rest range from nice songs to "ehhhh...." quality.

Overall, FTTBA's melody is inedible, and PCH has the best piano sound I've heard in a LONG time.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

does she still play bass professionally?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »

I really love the piano bits thrown in there from time to time in these snippets.  I really love this so far.  The instrumentation sounds fantastic, I'll reserve judgement on the voices until I hear the album proper.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

Last pop album (as opposed to jazz, which she might still play) she was on, IIRC, was In Reverse by Matthew Sweet. 1999. She's pretty good, I think. So's the album.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

Okay, my opinions, being based off of :30 seconds of music...

The last 3 songs, and first 2, make up what I'd call the "Best Album Since Holland", and the rest range from nice songs to "ehhhh...." quality.

Overall, FTTBA's melody is inedible, and PCH has the best piano sound I've heard in a LONG time.

That's kinda where I'm at, although I'd stretch that to include the first 3 and the last 4.  Tough to form a solid opinion based on excerpts, of course, but none of those middle tracks really jumped out at me as potentially great songs.  I'm sure some of them will grow on me, but they generally gave me an "Imagination-reject" type of vibe.

That being said though, based on what we're hearing, the high points are going to be every Beach Boys fan's wet dream.  "Summer's Gone" alone sounds like it's going to be one of the best closing tracks ever on a Beach Boys album - pretty lofty territory.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »

She still teaches, as far as I know. Don't think she's still doing the recording gigs.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »

I'm going to type my impressions without reading anybody elses so that I know I'm not poisoned by your hate or love of a song Smiley  I'll listen to each twice.  

Think about the days - Whoa.  Wasn't expecting this.  It has the mellow vibe like "Cool Head" does, but I immediately notice the character we finally get to hear when there's more than 1 beach boy in the room.  Brian's band is excellent, but they're sterlized.  Mike/Al/Dave/Bruce/Brian all have weathered voices, so maybe on this album we'll get to hear 5 distinct, mature voices with character?  Has anybody ever done anything like that before? lol  I can hear Brian, Bruce, Al... Jeff... Mike... don't know what David sounds like.  Brian sounds excellent, if I'm hearing him where I think I'm hearing him.

That's Why God - What I like about this song is it really has 'pop single' written on it, which hasn't happened in quite awhile.  It starts and stops within itself, isn't part of a song suite, doesn't have to have any background history to understand, etc. With that said, though, it does have a hint of mediocrity in it.

Isn't It Time - I'm loving the different voices I haven't heard in forever, and the great melody, but the lyrics are very pedestrian, it sounds like someone sat down with nothing to say and decided to write about what they wrote about because it's easy.  Has the famous Brian Wilson production sound to it.  

Spring Vacation - Catchy as hell.  Can't stand the spring vacation/good vibrations line, though... but the verse sounds GREAT.  I believe I'll probably like the bulk of this one, I like the catchiness of the melody and rhythm.  

Bill and Sue - Is that Brian singing False?  I'm pretty sure he peeps up into it old-school like towards the end there, sounds fantastic.  Cant' really tell much about this one, it could be great, could be boring.  Falsetto!  Whoa!

Shelter - Interesting rhythms vocally.  Great chorus.  Can't hear much though in the short clip, I imagine this will be nice.

Daybreak - never heard Mike's original.  Mike sounds great.  Chorus sounds nice.  I hope it picks up a bit, though later in the song, it's kind of flat in these 20 seconds, LOL

Beaches In Mind - I don't hear anything special, but again it's really hard to judge something by 30 seconds or whatever.  

Strange World - Sounds great.  This has a ton of potential, can't wait to hear the full version.

From There To Back Again - This also sounds fantastic.  I can't tell much though because of the fade out, but it has lots of potential as well.  

Pacific Coast Hwy - Sounds great, once again, lol.  I think for all the crap people have been saying about them abandoning their art, songs like this sound pretty damn impressive at first listen to me.  

Summer's Gone - Almost sad to hear the Beach Boys sing a song called this.  Voices sound so beautiful, this is probably going to be legendary, lol.

Anyways, as you can see I think the end of the album is much stronger than the beginning of the album, although much of this of course remains to be heard.  Cant' wait to pick my copy up!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

"someone sat down with nothing to say and decided to write about what they wrote about because it's easy"

A Brian trademark. Busy Doin' Nothing, I'd Love Just Once To See You, I Went To Sleep, etc., etc.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »

"someone sat down with nothing to say and decided to write about what they wrote about because it's easy"

A Brian trademark. Busy Doin' Nothing, I'd Love Just Once To See You, I Went To Sleep, etc., etc.

True; but it doesn't seem to have worked this time, LOL 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »

Okay, I find it increasingly hard to believe that any of these songs were "Imagination-rejects".  First of all, I don't hear it.  I don't hear the connection between the two albums, I think TWGMTR stands on its own in terms of productions and sound.  Are they similar? Yes.  But in terms of quality, there's no way that anyone will ever convince me that these songs were rejected from Imagination! Perhaps they were part of a follow up album, but they just could not have been rejected. No way.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »

I think I'll wait to hear the full songs before I start giving opinions on what worked and what didn't.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MXNT-NRGU
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »

Zach It's bullshit, at best they're probably fragments or snippets that may date to back then, but were never finished.  I guess if they decided not to work on them anymore you could consider it a reject, but regardless, these are new recordings with their current voices of songs that have never been released.  So I'm cool with it.  

Also keep in mind this album was done pretty damn fast so some of that is to be expected.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »

I think I'll wait to hear the full songs before I start giving opinions on what worked and what didn't.

You do that, and also while you're at it, don't worry about what the f*** I think or say. 
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »

ROTFLMAO! Smiley Smiley

How about we don't turn this thread into another one with pages and pages of people bitching at each other? Why is it so easy to fly off the handle over nothing (Dr Beach Boy saying that he will wait for the full tunes before he judges them)? It is inconsiderate to make everyone else wade through pages of childish BS, and it drags the board down as a whole. I always thought of this as a place with intelligent discourse, that rarely fell into the "internet trap" of people whining back and forth about personal issues.

Paradoxically, with the release of the Smile Sessions, the reunion tour, and the improbable new album, the board is turning into a cesspool of name-calling and defensiveness. I used to think that the mods here had an easy job, but now it must have become tough for them, with everyone squabbling back and forth. I mean, who cares about this pettiness? It is a waste of everybody's time.

When did this board become a place where everyone is waiting for someone else to say something offensive? Life is too short.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:58:42 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »

You do that, and also while you're at it, don't worry about what the f*ck I think or say. 
Why so testy? Just saying it is really hard to tell how good or bad these songs are by these small snippets.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »

Okay, I find it increasingly hard to believe that any of these songs were "Imagination-rejects".  First of all, I don't hear it.  I don't hear the connection between the two albums, I think TWGMTR stands on its own in terms of productions and sound.  Are they similar? Yes.  But in terms of quality, there's no way that anyone will ever convince me that these songs were rejected from Imagination! Perhaps they were part of a follow up album, but they just could not have been rejected. No way.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Well, no-one's claimed that the *productions* are Imagination-rejects -- the instrumental arrangements are clearly very different. But the songs might be. Remember, no-one involved with the Beach Boys at any level seems ever to have understood the meaning of the qords "quality control" -- the whole Smile album was a 'reject' in that sense, they decided not to release Soulful Old Man Sunshine but put out Tears In The Morning, left Still I Dream Of It unreleased but put out Hey Little Tomboy, put Student Demonstration Time on Surf's Up instead of Fourth Of July, rejected the Paley material and put out Stars & Stripes...

I have yet to fathom how the Beach Boys have made their choices of what to release and what to reject over the years, but I imagine a blind man and a dartboard were involved...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »

ROTFLMAO! Smiley Smiley

How about we don't turn this thread into another one with pages and pages of people bitching at each other? Why is it so easy to fly off the handle over nothing (Dr Beach Boy saying that he will wait for the full tunes before he judges them)? It is inconsiderate to make everyone else wade through pages of childish BS, and it drags the board down as a whole. I always thought of this as a place with intelligent discourse, that rarely fell into the "internet trap" of people whining back and forth about personal issues.

Paradoxically, with the release of the Smile Sessions, the reunion tour, and the improbable new album, the board is turning into a cesspool of name-calling and defensiveness. I used to think that the mods here had an easy job, but now it must have become tough for them, with everyone squabbling back and forth. I mean, who cares about this pettiness? It is a waste of everybody's time.

Ron, I appreciate many of your posts and insights, but when did this board become a place where everyone is waiting for someone else to say something offensive? Life is too short.

Stop bitching, and move along, nothing to see here. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

You do that, and also while you're at it, don't worry about what the f*ck I think or say. 
Why so testy? Just saying it is really hard to tell how good or bad these songs are by these small snippets.

Please.  You don't think your remark was a little smart?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »

....Must.....not......listen.........to...clips.....must....wait...for actual......album....

Be Strong!!!!!

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx