gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681000 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 04:26:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 [266] 267 268 269 270 271 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1742347 times)
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: September 14, 2011, 06:44:55 AM »

Ok some thoughts.

I really hope they don't add vocals to parts that don't have vocals. What I mean is, the PC version of "Do You Like Worms" added the "Bicycle Rider" in place of the "Ribbon of Concrete" part and during the first verse of "Surf's Up" they added "Canvas the town..." that part of course wasn't sung by Brian until after the second verse.
ghost
« Reply #6626 on: September 14, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »

Am I the only one who wants new vocals?! All done by Jeff Foskett? Add a Little Deuce Coupe outro to Worms, that sort of thing.

Jeff Foskett
J e f f F o s k e t t
J e f o s k t
JEFOSKT

Hey everybody it's your favorite camp counselor Jefoskt here, today we're going to learn about how drugs are bad and, alternatively, eating into obesity is far more preferable.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6627 on: September 14, 2011, 07:15:36 AM »

Ok some thoughts.

I really hope they don't add vocals to parts that don't have vocals. What I mean is, the PC version of "Do You Like Worms" added the "Bicycle Rider" in place of the "Ribbon of Concrete" part and during the first verse of "Surf's Up" they added "Canvas the town..." that part of course wasn't sung by Brian until after the second verse.

In the original release, Mark talked about flying in vocals. Remember, CD1 is for Joe Public.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:16:50 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ghost
« Reply #6628 on: September 14, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »

Ok some thoughts.

In the original release, Mark talked about flying in vocals. Remember, CD1 is for Joe Public.

Heeeeeeeeeere they come.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: September 14, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »

Ok some thoughts.

He did talk about indeed but I think only from a techncial point of view to underline what is possible in 2011 - not sure it means that's what we will get although it would be nice IMHO

For example, we can put Brian's vocal back into "Surf's Up," which was a group track in the 1970s [on the "Surf's Up" album]. Brian recorded a basic track with a full band for part one. And he also recorded a sort of a demo version, its just him double-tracked and a piano track. What the band did was they used the part one backing track and tried to fly Brian's vocal into that, but the technology at the time really made that impossible. So what happened was that Carl sang the [lead] vocal and overdubs were added [forthe Surf's Up album version]. And for the second half, they used Brian's piano vocal piece and added very few additions.

With the technology we have today, its much much easier to take Brian's vocal for part one and put it onto the backing track. I have done it and its quite nice. Now we have the ability to shift time things very easily so those synchronizations can be accomplished.

Cheers

Richard
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6630 on: September 14, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »

However, please spare us the holier than thou routine. I expect to hear the above stuff from my wife

"Holier than thou?"  Ha Ha Ha Ha!  Hardly. But I was listenting to Smile when you were still playing with your Hot Wheels. And I don't cum in my pants and run to this board posting about it every time I've listened to a new fragment of music.

My strong advise to you? Listen to your wife. You'll stay married longer.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6631 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »

Wow.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: September 14, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »

We're now eating our own ... Nov. 1st can't get here fast enough. To paraphrase Modest Mouse, "The good times are killing us!"  Sad

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: September 14, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »

Sorry, Guitarfool.  I feel blessed being amongst the SMile-o-Philes here.  Would you rather listen to Tobelman, Fishmonk, and Phil Cohen?

Mr. Hoilierthanthou   Grin

P.S. By the way, I don't think Cohen is banned here anymore. I saw his name yesterday in the list of logged in names here.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: September 14, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »

We're now eating our own ... Nov. 1st can't get here fast enough. To paraphrase Modest Mouse, "The good times are killing us!"  Sad

For want of a toy, the child was lost.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: September 14, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »

However, please spare us the holier than thou routine. I expect to hear the above stuff from my wife

"Holier than thou?"  Ha Ha Ha Ha!  Hardly. But I was listenting to Smile when you were still playing with your Hot Wheels. And I don't cum in my pants and run to this board posting about it every time I've listened to a new fragment of music.

My strong advise to you? Listen to your wife. You'll stay married longer.

Well Mikey - way to alienate half the board! What a curious chap you are.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: September 14, 2011, 08:43:48 AM »

Ok some thoughts.

Flying in vocals is one thing. I'm all for that. It is after all an approximation and not an official album. I'm referring to adding vocals to parts that aren't there. Like the first "canvas the town part" that's not in the SU demo until the second verse. The PC version took it from the second verse and added it to the first. It feels very tacked on and when you listen to it. It obviously came from another part of the song

If they've taken say the demo vocals and put those over the backing track to Barnyard and I'm In Great Shape as long as it sounds good and sounds like a legit song. Great.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:45:38 AM by sidewinder572 » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6637 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

I'm trying to be fair and read into the comments the way they were intended, but I will say on the surface it's an odd way of reacting to a compliment and an honest "thank you".  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ghost
« Reply #6638 on: September 14, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »

Mikie is so cool he was born in such a year as to coincide his youth with the Smile era or thereabouts while most of us here were foolish to not get born already.

Roll Eyes

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »

I'm not a chap, I'm a bloke.

Wait!  I forgot about Ghost!  Sorry to leave Ghost off my list of popular posters here.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: September 14, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »

I'm not a chap, I'm a bloke.

Wait!  I forgot about Ghost!  Sorry to leave Ghost off my list of popular posters here.

Maybe he should take some lessons at the Mikie charm school.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: September 14, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

I would totally want to grow up with the Beach Boys in their prime instead of watching them bicker as old men. Getting SMiLE after only being a fan for one year feels like a total slap in the face to everybody who has waited or died waiting for it. Plus, the bootleg tape trading sounds like a whole lot of fun instead of internet bootlegs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #6642 on: September 14, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »

I would totally want to grow up with the Beach Boys in their prime instead of watching them bicker as old men. Getting SMiLE after only being a fan for one year feels like a total slap in the face to everybody who has waited or died waiting for it. Plus, the bootleg tape trading sounds like a whole lot of fun instead of internet bootlegs.

Dear child, I understand your feelings. Believe me I do. But I must bring wisdom to the board for the elucidation of all confused murky thoughts in your brain. Human beings are waves of the planet earth and universe at large. We just wave, in and out, birthing, dying... the older generation is gone, or dying out, the one behind it is following, the one behind that is following, - all is a walking towards death, backwards into yourself. The new generation looks into the past and takes what's good. The Beach Boys will continue for [if our world does] hundreds of years more if not "Forever" due to the information being preserved forever [the only reason we are not more closely connected to the music of our ancestor's, it was not recorded capturing its spirit]. Fear not, your children will carry the flame. The old will die off soon, the young will take over, and become old. They will die off and their young will assume command. We just wave in and out of existence. Brian knows this, Mike Love knows this... the old men bickering Beach Boys is, arguably, much more interesting than what they were up to personally in the 60s anyway.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: September 14, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »

I'm trying to be fair and read into the comments the way they were intended, but I will say on the surface it's an odd way of reacting to a compliment and an honest "thank you".  Smiley

You (or somebody else) paid me a compliment, Guitarfool? I'm sorry, I must have missed it. OK, I'll say it here with all seriousness. Thank you! Guitarfool, you're a good man.  I'm not going to listen to what they say. They're fulla crap. You're a nice guy!

OK, enough! You guys have a nice day.  If I'm not careful, people will accuse me of trolling.

Like Ghost.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:08:15 AM by Mikie » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6644 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »

I just wanted to say that by page 265 in this thread, the last group of posts has just blown my mind, what a small world it is. Mikie, that was a great story to get the ball rolling on all this, thanks for posting that.

If I had known Smile talk was happening at a Valley Forge record show in 1987 with the folks posting here, I would have started collecting and going to record shows before 1990... Grin I'm 10 minutes away.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6645 on: September 14, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »

Nah, you guys are in a really great time. You've heard of most of the music already, both released and on bootlegs. But I had to wait for this stuff to trickle out very slowly all these years, a little at a time...........Yeah, it was fun, but getting it all at once in a new set in far superior sound........THAT's what's very cool. Personally, I still feel like a kid in a candy store like you guys do!  Smiley

ghost
« Reply #6646 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:23 AM »

Like Ghost.

At least I post about things other than Smile though, right? I hardly ever post about Smile, I don't even care that much about it. My favorite stuff from Brian/the guys is BW88, Love You, Wild Honey, Smiley Smile, Friends, Pet Sounds, Summer Days, Today, All Summer Long, Reimagnies Gershwin, Surf's Up, etc.............

My interest in Smile is actually less about the overall thing which I think has its weaknesses but individual parts - like the Mahala lu lei part of Worms. Since I first heard the sessions and some fan mixes that G. Larson graciously sent the pieces have been in my mind. Never as full songs, just fragments. I'm fine with Smile remaining like that. That is its charm for me, the knowledge of all these pieces which I can command to my attention at will and hear again without needing a CD or mp3. It exists for me in this sprawled out messy way, and that's its beauty.

I'm more into Brian's songs like There's So Many, Melt Away, Love & Mercy than Smile these days.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »

I just wanted to say that by page 265 in this thread, the last group of posts has just blown my mind, what a small world it is. Mikie, that was a great story to get the ball rolling on all this, thanks for posting that.

If I had known Smile talk was happening at a Valley Forge record show in 1987 with the folks posting here, I would have started collecting and going to record shows before 1990... Grin I'm 10 minutes away.

Thank you!  Grin

jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: September 14, 2011, 09:11:37 AM »

Onstage freakout? I'd like to hear about that. I knew about the Blondie and Steve Love fight, but nothing else.
At the show in SF that I saw Blondie was crying and carrying on about something..it appeared he was maybe too loaded to play..I remember Al not looking to happy about what was unfolding. Huh
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »

Since I first heard the sessions and some fan mixes that G. Larson graciously sent the pieces have been in my mind.

Greg Larson was a good man.  A friend of his is a friend of mine.  That guy really epitomized "sharing".

It's too bad Greg passed on before he got to hear this new SMiLE release.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:27:27 AM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 [266] 267 268 269 270 271 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx