gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 04:43:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which one speaks the most to you?
Pet Sounds - 17 (60.7%)
POB - 6 (21.4%)
Can't Decide - 5 (17.9%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds and POB Appreciation Thread  (Read 7185 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »

I own POB because of the fabulous repackaging it was given a few years ago. I already had an online download of it and didn't listen to it much. I don't listen to the new one much, either. But I would never use it as a coaster. I probably should just re-sell it, after burning my own copy. And rarely listening to it, again. I have to really be in a mood to hear it. I like his songs that he did with the Beach Boys better. I'm not a fan of the big production of his solo stuff.

I have to be in a mood to hear "Pet Sounds," too. I listened to it too much when I first got into it. I also feel I relate to it less as I've gotten beyond the age group it's about.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »

Pet Sounds for me, though I do think Dennis' stuff was brilliant as well. For some reason I don't really like the idea of "solo albums" per se. I just know I'd revisit the POB material much more often if it was part of one or two actual group albums. That said, it's still great the way it is.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 02:19:22 AM »

I have to be in a mood to hear "Pet Sounds," too. I listened to it too much when I first got into it.

Same here, I listened to it far too much back when my cd collection was rather small. It may be my least played BB album these days. POB is still fresh for me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »

I own POB because of the fabulous repackaging it was given a few years ago. I already had an online download of it and didn't listen to it much. I don't listen to the new one much, either. But I would never use it as a coaster. I probably should just re-sell it, after burning my own copy. And rarely listening to it, again. I have to really be in a mood to hear it. I like his songs that he did with the Beach Boys better. I'm not a fan of the big production of his solo stuff.

I have to be in a mood to hear "Pet Sounds," too. I listened to it too much when I first got into it. I also feel I relate to it less as I've gotten beyond the age group it's about.

I agree with you too I listen to his stuff he did with the BBs more so than his solo stuff.  for instance his songs on Sunflower I can listen to any time.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »

For some reason I don't really like the idea of "solo albums" per se.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way, not just with The Beach Boys but with other groups as well. But, there is something different about Pacific Ocean Blue and a lot of Dennis' music actually. Maybe it's because of his style, or the personal (autobiographical?) nature, or just the emotional quality, but Dennis' music transcends the "solo" label/feeling/idea.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 08:43:16 AM »

Nothing I can say that hasn't really been said already in this thread. But I'll add my two cents. I love both albums. Both albums have different moods. Both moods speak to me greatly. Favorite moments on Pet Sounds include IJWMFTT (favorite song on the LP, musically it just blows my mind), Caroline No (2nd favorite, beautiful vocals and music), the two instrumentals (incredible stuff), the middle break on Here Today...the entire LP is incredible with no weak moments. Favorite moments on POB include River Song (damn that song just grabs me by the balls...it kicks my ass with each listen), Friday Night (again, just kicks my ass), You And I (I love the gentle sound of it), the title track (groovy) and Farewell My Friend (very moving). Two great albums. Love 'em!!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »

No way to avoid being subjective but here is my take.

The reason I pick PS for this is that it conveys many of the emotions felt by a young adult such as love, optimism for the future, having the feeling that the person you are with now is the one you should marry, longing, jealousy, rejection of singificant other after they hurt you. It's a youths symphony of what it's like to grow up and the wonder of what tomorrow will bring, because one is still at a crossroads in life.

Pacific Ocean Blue is a very strong album musically but not thematically. It is a portrayal of Dennis after his crossroads, he is an adult and his ability to convey his message with a song are not as developed as Brian, not is he in the same point Brian was when he conceived PS. It becomes an altogether different experience, but I feel Dennis puts so much emotion in it that it becomes rather narrow, despite most of the songs being very good. Lyrics are a times a little tedious and sappy. PS lyrics suffer as well at points, but I cannot point out specifics.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »

I know what you mean. I feel the same way, not just with The Beach Boys but with other groups as well. But, there is something different about Pacific Ocean Blue and a lot of Dennis' music actually. Maybe it's because of his style, or the personal (autobiographical?) nature, or just the emotional quality, but Dennis' music transcends the "solo" label/feeling/idea.

Totally agree with this. POB captures something no other BB solo record does, something I've never been able to put my finger on...

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »

Totally agree with this. POB captures something no other BB solo record does, something I've never been able to put my finger on...
I think it's the fact that Dennis takes it to another level. POB is a statement of independence. He seems to not be competing with his Beach Boys self at all. There is no sense of Dennis being confined to a Beach Boys off-shoot, it has it's own unique vibe, it's own personality and it's own place in the world.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »

I think it's the fact that Dennis takes it to another level. POB is a statement of independence. He seems to not be competing with his Beach Boys self at all. There is no sense of Dennis being confined to a Beach Boys off-shoot, it has it's own unique vibe, it's own personality and it's own place in the world.

Yeah. With POB it's Dennis the artist, not Dennis the Beach Boy. That is definitely part of it.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

Yeah. With POB it's Dennis the artist, not Dennis the Beach Boy. That is definitely part of it.

Definitely what Jon said. I think another part is that it was recorded in a time when analog was still the only way to record. When they didn't use MIDI harpsichords or overuse the synthesizers. You couldn't easily snip out parts, or digitally enhance the vocals. On POB you can hear the "hiss" of a mic, or the buzz of an amp....these things give the recordings atmosphere - something I find lacking in every Beach Boys solo release (besides POB).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »

I recently heard the Kiss song "Beth" and realized how similar Dennis's balladry is. Overt sentimentality and vocals that are rough around the edges. Hard rock balladry. I think people are sold on Dennis's music more for his voice and performance style than his actual craftsmanship. There are some interesting moments on the record, though, like the tag of Time, but the actual song portion isn't that hot.

Compare Beth to a song like Thoughts of You... the similarities are striking
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:53:43 PM by Gabo » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »

I recently heard the Kiss song "Beth" and realized how similar Dennis's balladry is. Overt sentimentality and vocals that are rough around the edges.
I think people are sold on Dennis's music more for his voice and performance style than his actual craftsmanship. There are some interesting moments on the record, though, like the tag of Time. But the actual song portion bores me to tears.

Yea, cry me a river....

song.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »

pob all the way.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »

I think it depends on taste too.  I listen to Pet Sounds when I want to hear beautiful music (favorites being GOK and Wouldn't it be Nice). POB is what I listen to when I want to be moved (and I love the fact that Denny picked sort of random people to play on it and it sounded so good)  and of course the pain in his voice is just... wow

for the people who can't decide between the two, I started the vote count over for you  Smiley

Agreed. As I've said, Pet Sounds is more beautiful and musically complex. But POB is far more emotional, powerful and sad.

Love both, can't live without either. And to Vega-Table Man and SMiLE Brian, give POB another chance!

I especially love the way he delivers his songs not just the instrumentation but his voice alone.  in the past I've preferred his clear voice to the rough one but his rough vocals are starting to grow on me. 

also every time I hear Caroline No I like it more and more.  Brian's falsetto was awesome

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 12:55:39 AM »

So a near-mythical Beach Boys-related album is re-released after years languishing in obscurity, you go out and buy it, and then you don't really feel much of a desire to actually sit and listen to it...?

That's quite odd, isn't it?

I suppose it would be, yes.

Not that odd. When I found a 2nd hand vinyl copy in 1991 (I would accidentally find the CD a couple of years later), it was at a moment I just got to learn about the group's lesser known 70ies output and their solo work. I had recently bought C&tP/So Tough - purely because I had to hear the 2 hitsingles (well, they were overhere) from that album. And - apart from Marcella - I really had to get used to that album. I guess I was still too much used to the 60ies sound that made them famous. When hearing POB for the first time, I didn't "get it" at all. And it wasn't until years later that gave it a second listen, when my knowledge of the groups work had improved considerably and my interest in and fondness of their output had already shifted to the late 60ies and 70ies. And then I did "get it".

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »

Pet Sounds is the sound of a deeply unhappy and insecure man trying to make himself feel better by writing achingly beautiful yet ultimately sad music. Pacific Ocean Blue is the sound of a deeply confused yet passionate man bleeding onto the tape. Musically, the former knocks tartan striped spots off the latter. In terms of raw emotion, the latter may well be unsurpassed in the rock world.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »

Pet Sounds is the sound of a deeply unhappy and insecure man trying to make himself feel better by writing achingly beautiful yet ultimately sad music. Pacific Ocean Blue is the sound of a deeply confused yet passionate man bleeding onto the tape. Musically, the former knocks tartan striped spots off the latter. In terms of raw emotion, the latter may well be unsurpassed in the rock world.

Only surpassed by Neil Young's Tonight The Night in that regard for me.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »

Nicely put.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx