gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681095 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 09:26:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis & Carl in the Reunion Tour  (Read 5791 times)
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »

I was just wondering how/if they will incorporate Dennis & Carl in the reunion shows? I don't think they'll be able to get by with a mere mention and someone else singing one of their songs, on a scale this large.

So, it's totally wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be amazing if they could do something to represent Dennis & Carl in a couple songs in the vein of Elvis Presley In Concert http://www.elvis.com/events/concert_tours.aspx. Basically they use video of the artist singing on a large screen behind the stage and have a live band and backup singers playing with them. Not sure how realistic this idea is for this particular tour, but I thought it was a cool idea. Dennis singing Forever from Central Park or Carl singing Feel Flows (or GOK) would be absolute heaven, especially for those of us who weren't lucky enough to see either of them in person. That and I just really, really don't want to hear (if by the off chance he happens to drop in on any dates) Stamos singing Forever, ever again LOL
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:50:53 PM »

It would be neat if the band played a Dennis song; i.e. "Forever" or "River Song" or another one that Dennis had his stamp on. Or on the large overhead screen over the stage or to the left/right, have a video of him singing one of his songs and/or "You Are So Beautiful" from the 70's. Play videos of Dennis' life, a la the American Band and Endless Harmony videos. Same for Carl; maybe sing (or show him singing) "Heaven" or another one that he was known for and play videos of his life. That would be cool. McCartney did that for Lennon and Harrison during his recent tour.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:55:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »

Dave seems to like singing Dennis' songs so I imagine he'll talk the rest of the group into letting him sing lead on one.

Or whoever. Let Mike sing Forever. ANYBODY BUT JOHN STAMOS.

No mas, por favor.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »

I hope Brian sings some leads on Dennis and Carl songs. He was their brother, after all. And as much as I like Forever, I kind of hope they do more obscure stuff.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »

My vote would be Elvis style video of GOK with Carl, and Dave singing lead on YASB with pictures of Dennis showing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:26:46 PM by Al Jardine's Box » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »

I would like the setlist to include Southern California from TLOS.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

the monkees had Peter Tork sing Nesmiths stuff so maybe David can sing a couple dennis stuff or something like that..
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »

Funny you should say that. Last year, when I was bored, I made a "what if" fantasy Beach Boys album if one were to appear in 2010. Cobbled some later solo songs, a few unreleased tracks (e.g. the BBs version of Soul Searchin', It's Not Too Late, etc.), and a few other things. Southern California was my album closer!

Lyrically and in feel, it really does sum up the band's story.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »

I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but personally, I hope they keep the Dennis/Carl stuff short and sweet.  Having Dennis or Carl show up as the undead and sing on video along with the band would be incredibly tacky in my opinion.  Sing a good "God Only Knows" and show pictures of Dennis and Carl on the screen, that's about the best they can do in my opinion, or whatever.

THE *BEST* Tribute I ever saw in a concert to anybody was in a George Strait concert, as strange as that may seem.  George (who plays pretty much straight forward country pop singles for most of his show) started jamming with his band, and for 4 or 5 minutes you couldn't even tell what they were playing, then he stepped to the microphone and started singing "I hear the train a comin'.... it's rollin' round the bend... Lord I ain't seen the sunshine since... I don't know when" and sang "Folsom Prison Blues".  Johnny Cash had died about 3 weeks previous.  He didn't say a word about Johnny Cash, he just sang his song, very well, then went on to the next song.  It said everything that needed to be said.  

So personally I hope they either cover one of their solo songs or just show some pictures, I don't want any soundboard trickery, let the men lie in my opinion.  

Even BETTER: Do "Surfin' USA" and show pictures on the screen of Dennis surfing, smiling, having a good time.  Or video if you have it.  Do "I Can Hear Music" (if anybody can sing that!) and show video/pictures of Carl laughing, smiling, having a good time.  It's a celebration, not a funeral. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:57:15 PM by Ron » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »

I have no doubts tributes to Dennis and Carl will be done, it's gonna be emotional  Cry

A few pictures of the guys and a few words would be sufficient , nothing over the top

Speaking of saying something nice, I remember a few years back Mike said something like "This is a song my Cousin Dennis wrote...yeah..he's not not around any more", I'm paraphrasing but he said it in the most obnoxious tone, it was mentioned on the board and people were shocked..

I think it was before David Marks sang Forever, if that even even happened

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »

I don't think they'll be able to get by with... someone else singing one of their songs, on a scale this large.

Why's that? Seems like it does the job well enough. I don't need dancing holograms up on stage to give the impression that they brought Carl and Dennis back from the dead to be satisfied.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »

Here's the video

Not as bad as I remember but I doubt it would go over well at the reunion  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A

MBE
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »

I Can Hear Music would be nice, Forever etc. Dave's You and I is quite nice.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »

Here's the video

Really?  Mike just mentioning Dennis was a gesture of love and respect, the little joke about "Save it, he's not here" to me was worth a chuckle.  It was actually the only funny thing Mike said in the whole monologue, lol. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »

Here's the video

Really?  Mike just mentioning Dennis was a gesture of love and respect, the little joke about "Save it, he's not here" to me was worth a chuckle.  It was actually the only funny thing Mike said in the whole monologue, lol. 

LOL Like I said it's not nearly as bad as I remember but also I doubt Mike's quirky sense of humor would fly while Brian is standing (or sitting  Tongue) on the same stage

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »

I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but personally, I hope they keep the Dennis/Carl stuff short and sweet.  Having Dennis or Carl show up as the undead and sing on video along with the band would be incredibly tacky in my opinion.

Naaaaahhhh.  I'm offended.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »

Dave's You and I is quite nice.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  'Cept it's not a Beach Boys song, but that's OK.

MBE
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »

Well if they give him a lead I hope it's that one solo song or not.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:10 PM »

As mentioned, the Carl and Dennis tributes should be kept low key as any high tech wizardry would distract (not to mention cheapen) the intent and moment in the show.  There is more a spiritual/emotional connection with Carl and Dennis amongst BB fans where the video screen trick they do in "Elvis The Concert" could never work--it would put off too many people.  Some nice photos and videos playing on the screens during each brother's spotlight song will do just fine regardless who sings it.  The audience and fans know who the moment is for...
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:18:24 AM »

Here's the video

LOL Like I said it's not nearly as bad as I remember but also I doubt Mike's quirky sense of humor would fly while Brian is standing (or sitting  Tongue) on the same stage

I was at this concert and the overall tone of the show was one of respect towards the bands legacy. I thought at the time that it was probably a little joke that Dennis would have found funny himself, I honestly don't think Mike meant any disrespect towards him at all when he said it.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 06:01:06 AM »

Absolutely, Southern California, and maybe, Forever, She'll be my Surfer Girl...it is the Beach Boys story.  It would be a great place to showcase some of each of their individual work, such as Cool Head, Warm Heart, Postcard from California, and Don't Fight the Sea, including Carl's vocals.  I would love to see lots of "visual -sound-magic" trickery with Dennis' and Carl's vocal tracks included.  It shows professional respect for each member's individual musical artistry and growth, since the 1998 catastrophe.  I dont feel that it is morbid at all and honors their band membership and fans' fidelity, even all these years.  

There is no need for someone to sing their parts for some of the setlist.  That slide-show from the The Lucky Old Sun, was fabulous and the context of the "music-dream" which became American music history.  It honors Dennis and Carl and how lucky if great tracks were available which might be mixed into the show.   Each band has found a way to dedicate God Only Knows to Carl's memory and there is always applause for Carl's contribution.  And for Dennis' when Forever is performed by John Stamos in front of people who were not even born when Dennis died.   I would bet there are lots of internet searches for "Dennis Wilson" after the show...

Bring on the magic!  Wink  

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:06:17 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »

Here's the video

Not as bad as I remember but I doubt it would go over well at the reunion  LOL

Really?  Mike just mentioning Dennis was a gesture of love and respect, the little joke about "Save it, he's not here" to me was worth a chuckle.  It was actually the only funny thing Mike said in the whole monologue, lol.  

LOL Like I said it's not nearly as bad as I remember but also I doubt Mike's quirky sense of humor would fly while Brian is standing (or sitting  Tongue) on the same stage

Have you ever seen the press conference the boys gave after Dennis died, and what Brian said?  

"For Me the Mourning is over.  As far as I am concerned, nothing is going to hold back the ball of wax. It's still a go".  - Brian Wilson
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:46:00 AM by Ron » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »

I like the idea from that Elvis show. Just play GOK with Carl's lead vocal playback and the band sing the backing vocals live.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »

As mentioned, the Carl and Dennis tributes should be kept low key as any high tech wizardry would distract (not to mention cheapen) the intent and moment in the show.  There is more a spiritual/emotional connection with Carl and Dennis amongst BB fans where the video screen trick they do in "Elvis The Concert" could never work--it would put off too many people.  Some nice photos and videos playing on the screens during each brother's spotlight song will do just fine regardless who sings it.  The audience and fans know who the moment is for...

+50000000000000000000000

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

I like the idea from that Elvis show. Just play GOK with Carl's lead vocal playback and the band sing the backing vocals live.

Or, Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole...on "Unforgettable" - something along these lines...would give Carl and Dennis honor and recognition and might prove to be extremely classy to allow the audience the opportunity to be part of that.  

People often say that the "Beach Boys" died with Dennis and Carl, and while the loss was profound, their music and contributions endure, even today.  The surviving members had to find their own way to make the music "not die."  And the music continues.  

That is an amazing thought of GOK with Carl's track and the live vocals, Stegibo.  But, I bet there would not be a dry eye.
I was thinking of "Rockin' All Over the World"...where Carl was so influenced by early rock and perhaps, "Only With You" or "Forever" for Dennis.

But, whatever they come up with will be great, regardless... Wink Everyone has a "wish list!"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx